Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: WDW in May?

WDW in May?

So, finally getting ready to make a return to WDW after 2 years, and I/family be going out in May

Guess my question is, I've never been out in May, so was wondering what sorta activities happen in May? I know we'll be missing the Avatar area opening in AK, but that's not really a super big concern for us really, sure Avatar is cool and all but something we can just hit in another 2 years or so (trying to get everyone on a good cycle for vacationing there). We'll be going from the 17th till the 24th of May if I remember right, so other kids "should" hopefully be in school still and it's before the holiday weekend I think...? Still expecting lots of crowds of course, but hopefully not as bad. But yeah, what sorta events could be happening around that timeframe? Thanks!

2. # ADS

WDW in May?

I've been in that timeframe and we got the 24 hour MK day and Star Wars weekends.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Flower and Garden at EPC runs until May 29. (The end of F&G used to line up with the first occurrence of SWW, so I did trips in that time frame several years to try to take advantage of the overlap)

Star Wars Weekends last ran in 2015, they did not happen in 2016, and presumably won't in 2017. (maybe they will resume when SWL is complete (hoping?), but I seem to recall the massive amount of construction at DHS was given as at least partially the reason for why they are at least on hiatus - though the dynamic of all the things the event offered in the past may change once SWL is up and running - "difficult to see, the future..." )

-Dave

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the May time frame we have only visited during the first half and not the second. But we enjoyed the weather during May.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Weather in May can be hot. You're basically in early summer for Florida.

WDW in May?

I've only been once in May and believe it was hotter than usual as it was in the high 90's some days but it was glorious! Very dry I think we saw rain three times in 10 days and only one real wet session and the humidity was much better than August. I like to boil on my Florida holidays and May was fabulous.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What Scooby said!
    We were there last weekend and the 50-60 degree weather felt colder than the snow weather we were having back home!

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

I've loved all of my May trips, and have one coming up just before yours.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

I go in May every year for my birthday stay! It can be very hot but the humidity isn't that bad. The weather is much worse in August, IMO. Just stay out of the sun. Walk thru shops, stand in the shade if you need to figure something out, drink, drink again, and take that mid afternoon break! A little pool time, a short nap and you will be ready to go back for the evening fun!

If it helps, most of the regular schools are still in session. They usually are up to Memorial Day. The colleges and universities normally start their summer terms around the second week of May.

Have a magical trip!
    GnP

Visiting WDW Since 1982

By far my favorite time of year to visit. Not uncrowded by any means, but the crowds really aren't too bad. Hot, yes. But not real humid. June is much worse.

Stan

Xezat, I just wanted to update here. I'll be staying at WDW 5/20-23. Right now 4/12/2017 we are in a bad drought. Usually we get daily rains in May so be prepared for that. But it looks to be a hot, hot May so pack light clothes and don't forget those important bathing suits!!

GnP