Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2018 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

The first-ever Walt Disney World Marathon was a fairy tale come true for runners who dreamt of running in the most magical place on Earth. This year, you're invited to join all the new fun and excitement as we celebrate 25 years of the Walt Disney World Marathon magic, moments and memories plus the fifth anniversary of the Dopey Challenge!

It's our biggest weekend celebration ever with amazing sights, spectacular surprises and fantastic runs for the whole family including the 25th Anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon, Half Marathon, Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge, 5K, 5th Anniversary Dopey Challenge, 10K, runDisney Kids Races and Disney Castaway Cay Challenge. Plus, there'll be plenty of Disney entertainment, favorite Disney characters, all-new anniversary commemorative medals and T-shirts, and much more! Share the magic and the memories during the 25th Anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend.

Early AP / DVC registration opens Thursday February 9th @ 9:00 am. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern

General registration opens Tuesday February 14th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern

Entry Fees and Deadlines

5th Anniversary Dopey Challenge presented by Cigna
    $560

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge presented by Cigna
    $365

25th Anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon presented by Cigna
    $185

Walt Disney World Half Marathon presented by Cigna
    $185

Walt Disney World 10K presented by Cigna
    $120

Walt Disney World 5K presented by Cigna
    $80

runDisney Kids Races presented by GoGo squeeZ Applesauce on the Go
    Dashes – $20
    One Mile Run – $30

Disney Castaway Cay Challenge*
    $70*

* A reservation on the January 8, 2018 Disney Dream 4-Night Bahamian Cruise is required in order to participate. Disney Cruise Line availability for the January 8, 2018 is limited. It is recommended that you register for your Disney cruise PRIOR to registering for the Castaway Cay Challenge. If your Disney Castaway Cay Challenge spot is forfeited for any reason, the race fee is non-refundable. Please refer to Disney Cruise Line for cruise refund policies.

Race Retreat Packages

• $120 Half Marathon Package
    • $120 Full Marathon Package
    • $230 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge Package
    • $230 Dopey Challenge
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

The half marathon and the marathon are the same price? That surprises me. I guess I figured that a longer race is always more expensive.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    The half marathon and the marathon are the same price? That surprises me. I guess I figured that a longer race is always more expensive.
    Anyone but runDisney you are right. runDisney has priced them the same since at least back to 2013.
    RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Anyone but runDisney you are right. runDisney has priced them the same since at least back to 2013.
    Hmmm, interesting. Thanks.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. Thanks.
    No problem. There are times it pays to be a data pack rat.
    RunningFool

Hi! I forgot how I stumbled into these forums, but I'm glad I found a runDisney specific one!

Question for you, especially admitting to be a data pack rat: how soon should we register for these events before there's a real risk of selling out? My girlfriend wants to go all insane Dopey, and I'm just going for a 5k.

Also, is the Race Retreat / ChEAR Squad Platinum worth it for her and me? Her pacing for the half is right about 3 hours, and the full is 6:30.

We're waiting for our tax refunds to do this, but they probably won't come in until the end of this month. I can scrape up some money, now, but I can't afford to pay for her Dopey and Retreat, and my 5k and ChEAR right on the 14th. Not unless the IRS does something really Goofy (pun intended)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FelisLachesis View Post
    Hi! I forgot how I stumbled into these forums, but I'm glad I found a runDisney specific one!

Question for you, especially admitting to be a data pack rat: how soon should we register for these events before there's a real risk of selling out? My girlfriend wants to go all insane Dopey, and I'm just going for a 5k.

Also, is the Race Retreat / ChEAR Squad Platinum worth it for her and me? Her pacing for the half is right about 3 hours, and the full is 6:30.

We're waiting for our tax refunds to do this, but they probably won't come in until the end of this month. I can scrape up some money, now, but I can't afford to pay for her Dopey and Retreat, and my 5k and ChEAR right on the 14th. Not unless the IRS does something really Goofy (pun intended)
    I share your girlfriend's insanity / Dopey issue. I'll be back for my second in 2018 (I did the inaugural in 2014).

Generally I would say grab the 5k first then Dopey. The 2017 5k sold out in just over an hour. 2017 Dopey didn't sell out last year but given it's a double anniversary (25th marathon and 5th Dopey) there has been a lot more interest than normal so it may go faster this year but still not 5k fast. The retreat may not be open for registration right off the bat (if often opens later); chEAR is the same so have those as secondary.

The biggest benefit of Race Retreat / chEAR is it will keep you out of elements like this year's incredibly cold 29 degree marathon morning. You may find it's more fun for you to park hop to see your girlfriend at various locations than to sit and wait but that's something to discuss and work out with her. I bought chEAR for my SO Thomas the year I did the marathon and he kind of used it but spent most of his time meeting me (or trying to meet me...) at various locations on course.

One new benefit of purchasing the retreat is the ability to get into the merchandise expo before the rest of the herd. Not sure if runDisney is going to keep that benefit going forward but with the addition of it for Princess, I would say it's a good bet it may be around for 2018 as well. If shopping is important, it's something to consider.

Let us know if you have any further questions!
    RunningFool

Good to know! Registration opens at 7:00 am, if I remember right? Time for an early morning if that's true. I'll get the races, first, as they're much more important, and then worry about the add-ons, later.

I'm not sure if I want to park hop for the full. We generally don't care for the park hop option on our tickets. We don't mind one park a day. That said, I heard that MK is still ticketless during the running, as the park is still technically closed for the public. AK and HS will be open during the run, so I'd need a ticket (or a park hopper) to get in? If so, I might wait outside the park, or just wait it out in chEAR.

Blog Entries
    Good to know! Registration opens at 7:00 am, if I remember right? Time for an early morning if that's true. I'll get the races, first, as they're much more important, and then worry about the add-ons, later.

I'm not sure if I want to park hop for the full. We generally don't care for the park hop option on our tickets. We don't mind one park a day. That said, I heard that MK is still ticketless during the running, as the park is still technically closed for the public. AK and HS will be open during the run, so I'd need a ticket (or a park hopper) to get in? If so, I might wait outside the park, or just wait it out in chEAR.
    Reg opens at 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern. runDisney is all about really early morning races but registration happens at more normal hours.

You should be able to get to MK and see her run up Main Street which is a very memorable experience. There is also an option to see her outside of AK as she runs out of the park. You can track her using Runner Tracking (currently free - you'll sign up close to the event date) so you can know where she is along the course.
    RunningFool

Reg opens at 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern. runDisney is all about really early morning races but registration happens at more normal hours.

You should be able to get to MK and see her run up Main Street which is a very memorable experience. There is also an option to see her outside of AK as she runs out of the park. You can track her using Runner Tracking (currently free - you'll sign up close to the event date) so you can know where she is along the course.
    Oooh, good to know! Thank you for the noon tip, I'll be good to go there.

As for seeing her from outside of AK, how do I do that? That's about the half-way point of the marathon, at least using the 2017 map. I might be able to get her a fresh set of clothes and shoes right there.

Oooh, good to know! Thank you for the noon tip, I'll be good to go there.

As for seeing her from outside of AK, how do I do that? That's about the half-way point of the marathon, at least using the 2017 map. I might be able to get her a fresh set of clothes and shoes right there.
    I wrote an article back in 2011 about spectating the marathon. The course hasn't changed a whole lot since then so most still applies.

The problem with going to AK is getting back out once your runner has passed by. Traffic in and out is very limited due to the race.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I wrote an article back in 2011 about spectating the marathon. The course hasn't changed a whole lot since then so most still applies.

The problem with going to AK is getting back out once your runner has passed by. Traffic in and out is very limited due to the race.
    Thank you for the article! Great read with lots of good information. I'm definitely incorporating it into my "not quite a marathon run" while my girlfriend treks the course.

Blog Entries

Just a quick reminder that early AP/DVC registration for the 2018 WDW Marathon Weekend opens this Thursday February 9th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific/ 12:00 p.m. Eastern. While event registration has been moving much slower for other runDisney events than in previous years, keep in mind that this is the 5th Dopey/ 25th Marathon (and unofficial 2nd-annual 20th WDW Half Marathon) anniversaries so interest seems to be high.

General registration opens on Valentine's Day Tuesday February 14th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

Who is planning on running in WDW in January 2018?

Last edited by RunningFool; 02-07-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

If anyone is thinking about running Dopey via Runners World VIP, the registration link is now open.

Keep in mind that the cost ($1150) is roughly $600 more than regular Dopey registration but there are benefits specific to VIPs

Your entry includes:

• Registration to four races in four days: 5K, 10K, half marathon, and marathon
    • A 25th anniversary marathon jacket available only to Runners World VIP participants
    • An embroidered backpack & custom training tech T-shirt
    • Access to the pre- and post-race VIP tent, with delicious food, a dedicated stretching area, private porta-potties, private bag check, and Disney character photo ops
    • A 16- to 20-week training plan designed specifically for the Dopey Challenge by Coach Budd Coates, who has coached thousands of elites, celebs, and everyday runners
    • Weekly email from Coach Budd with training, nutrition, and health tips for the upcoming weeks workouts
    • 24/7 access to the Runners World VIP community, where you can connect with Runners World editors and other VIP runners who are participating in the Dopey Challenge
    • Early access into the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo
    • Pasta party with the RW editors and your Runners World VIP teammates
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

After a brief 10-minute 'hey we're still showing Super Heroes information' issue, early AP/DVC registration is now officially open for the 2018 WDW Marathon Weekend.

9:50 a.m. Pacific - all events open

10:35 a.m. Pacific - all events open - no queue - no holds

3:30 p.m. Pacific - all events open - no queue - no holds

And for anyone who pre-signed up during the expo and were waiting for a link and code to register, they have started to show up in inboxes.

Last edited by RunningFool; 02-09-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    RunningFool

We're in! Dopey challenge for me and 5k for Simba0614 and both cubs. I'm excited that the cubs will be able to run part of Dopey with me.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    We're in! Dopey challenge for me and 5k for Simba0614 and both cubs. I'm excited that the cubs will be able to run part of Dopey with me.
    How fun! What a wonderful family experience.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Early AP/DVC registration for the 2018 Dopey Challenge has SOLD OUT!

All other events remain open as of 6:38 a.m. Pacific on day two of early registration.

Remember, general registration opens Tuesday February 14th. If you are planning on giving the challenge a try, I would be online when reg opens at 9:00 a.m. Pacific/ 12:00 p.m. Eastern. With all the pre-sales runDisney has been offering this time around, the interest we're seeing, and the # of people who are apparently already signed up, it's difficult to know just how many spots are actually going to be available.

As of Sunday February 12th, all events with the exception of the 2018 Dopey Challenge, are still open for early AP/DVC registration.

Last edited by RunningFool; 02-12-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Registration is now open for the 2018 WDW Marathon Weekend. There was a slight queue at 8:58 this morning that opened up at 9:04. At this point, it's now straight in with no waiting.

9:07 a.m.Pacific - Runner's World VIP package is on hold - all other events are open

12:25 p.m. Pacific - all WDW Marathon events including the Runner's World VIP package are open

3:30 p.m. Pacific - WDW 5k SOLD OUT

Wednesday February 15th

8:10 a.m. Pacific - all events are open with exception of WDW 5k

Last edited by RunningFool; 02-15-2017 at 07:12 AM.
    RunningFool

Thank you RunningFool and Stan4d_Steph for your help! My girlfriend is jumping into the deep end without a parachute, she's going for Dopey. I've got my own 5k to deal with!

Blog Entries
    Thank you RunningFool and Stan4d_Steph for your help! My girlfriend is jumping into the deep end without a parachute, she's going for Dopey. I've got my own 5k to deal with!
    I'm sharing that free-fall for Dopey.

Congrats on signing up. Let us know if you have any training questions. Would love to hear about how the events go for you both.
    RunningFool

I'm sharing that free-fall for Dopey.

Congrats on signing up. Let us know if you have any training questions. Would love to hear about how the events go for you both.
    Will do! I'm using C25k to gear up for this race. Once I hit 5k, then my goal is to get a little faster each run.

My girlfriend's run a marathon before, so she knows the rigors of 26.2. Now she has a 11 months to figure out 48.6 in four races.

Also, as of 4:30 EST or so, the 5k is sold out.

Blog Entries
    Will do! I'm using C25k to gear up for this race. Once I hit 5k, then my goal is to get a little faster each run.

My girlfriend's run a marathon before, so she knows the rigors of 26.2. Now she has a 11 months to figure out 48.6 in four races.

Also, as of 4:30 EST or so, the 5k is sold out.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the 5k. Looks like that's all that is sold out so far. Not what we were expecting.

There are great Dopey training plans. Jeff Galloway has one posted on the runDisney site under Training and I believe Hal Higdon has a Dopey training plan as well if your girlfriend prefers not do to interval running.

Four mornings in a row up at oh-dark-ugly and then running 48.6 miles takes a toll. Good that she will have you there for support.
    RunningFool

Thanks for the heads-up on the 5k. Looks like that's all that is sold out so far. Not what we were expecting.

There are great Dopey training plans. Jeff Galloway has one posted on the runDisney site under Training and I believe Hal Higdon has a Dopey training plan as well if your girlfriend prefers not do to interval running.

Four mornings in a row up at oh-dark-ugly and then running 48.6 miles takes a toll. Good that she will have you there for support.
    I'll take a look at those training plans for her. I think her warm-up race will be the Philadelphia Marathon, which takes place the weekend before Thanksgiving. That should give her a good 5-6 weeks to get the legs in marathon shape, and then get the endurance for the other 22.4. If I'm not mistaken, The Philadelphia Marathon now offers a "Goofy-esque" package, a half marathon on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday. Oh that would be perfect to get her into Dopey shape!

Comment for your main race sticky post: this one is minor, but a head scratcher. The kids races are just Friday and Saturday. There are no Thursday kids races. Why pull them out from the shortest "main" race of the weekend? Maybe because the 5k has a minimum age of 5? The one miler kids race has a minimum age of 13.

Blog Entries

It only took just about three days but the 2018 Dopey, 5th anniversary edition, is officially SOLD OUT.

The WDW 5k (the first to sell out) and WDW 10k are also SOLD OUT as well.

RunningFool