Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: "Fly Over Trick" Question

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

"Fly Over Trick" Question

Hiya! So I was reviewing the "Fly Over Trick" thread since we are arriving on Saturday around 11:30 and I expect traffic to be heavy with it being a race weekend. I would like to park in M&F since we are trying to get to DTD before 12.
    In the thread it says: "Those of us who take the Southbound 5 and exit at Disneyland Drive know all about the flyover, but here are some directions for those coming from other directions:"

I'm coming from the 5 southbound, but typically don't exit on Disneyland Drive since we normally park at our hotel first. So can someone outline where we need to go after exiting? I'm guessing that exit takes us straight to the structure but I just want to be sure I understand correctly.

Thanks!

2. # ADS

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

If you come down with a carpool - you can exit at Disneyland Drive from that lane. If not, just exit at Disneyland drive and stay in the far left lane. Turn left at the light and stay toward the left -- you will need to get left again so you get to the flyover... you'll see the large ramp in front of you. Then you'll take the lanes -- be prepared that the lines have been known to backup -- so bring your patience.

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

What Niwel said.

It's been my observation that the structure parking is really good in one direction at a time, but things get jammed when a lot of people are leaving and arriving at the same time (as in at the end of a race day).

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

Thanks Niwel and SteveMartin!

Here is my description of the overpass.
    You won't believe it until you see it -- but the Golden State freeway offramp of Disneyland Drive will bring you to the FLYOVER LANE -- which is an overpass that:
    (a.) is inbound toward Mickey & Friends in the morning;
    (b.) is outbound away from Mickey & Friends in the afternoon.

That's right. The same overpass has dual "one-way" usage, depending on the hour of the day.

From the I-5 southbound, when you get to the stop light at the end of the offramp, notice that the intersection is not a T-intersection, but a 45-degree kind of intersection.
    The lane of interest is to the hard left.

There is a green light atop the lane(s), showing that the lane is ready for the in-bound direction toward Mickey & Friends.
    A red light atop the lane(s) show that the lane is closed to you, and is now dedicated to drivers leaving Mickey & Friends who wish to get on the Golden State freeway.

You will see Orange traffic cones which prevent entry from the south-bound driver at night.
    There are no orange traffic cones in the morning for south-bound drivers.
    Plus, there are those yellow vertical strips, showing you that you cannot enter, late in the day.
    It took me a while to figure out that this lane could even exist.
    I thought I was going crazy, the first time I said to myself, "Hey, wasn't that lane going the other way a few hours ago?" -- "How could I, as a driver, use a lane to the hard-left of me? Won't I be driving into on-coming traffic?"

In the afternoon, you may see that the Anaheim police department will arrange the traffic cones and vertical strips, accordingly.

When you leave Mickey & Friends at the end of the day, toward Ball Road, note that the "extra" left-most lane is indeed the Flyover Lane, will either be available (lit green) or blocked (lit red).
    I was flabbergasted, when I figured it all out.
    I was tickled pink the first time I arrived at DL at some hour close to 3:00 p.m., where I saw the Anaheim PD manipulating the cones and dividers, accordingly.

"It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"