Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Disneyland expands Fastpass, debuts MaxPass

Quote Originally Posted by Niwel View Post
    Terrible plan - which is probably why they have the bracelets at WDW. DD is 4 - the thought of her with a $849 pass in her hand for even two feet scares the crap out of me.
    If she has an AP, does the phone ap now give you the ability to see her barcode on your phone? I know that when it was first introduced, you could only see your own barcode (except I had the Premier pass so I couldn't see my barcode and instead could see my daughter's). If you have a a barcode on your phone, are you able to scan that instead of an admission ticket? I like that for Knott's/Sea World you can easily swipe between guests. Not that you necessarily want a kid holding your phone any more than a ticket....

If they are scanning the barcode - is there any chance they would accept a photocopy of the barcode that your small(er) child could hold that wasn't as valuable as the park admission ticket?

I get why people may not want Magic Bands here, but I wouldn't mind if there was an option to get the barcode printed onto a bracelet for kids or a Magic-band(ish) device that was perhaps exclusive to AP holders or AP holders who bought the Max Pass plan. If we were still passholders, I would totally be experimenting right now with what was scannable, and what the CMs would accept.

2. # ADS

Professional Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I found it interesting that they have scanners installed at the entrance to the attraction - as well as where the ride lines merge - requiring two scans and to keep your media out. Do they do this at WDW?
    They did have two checkpoints at WDW to begin with, but the fastpass lines became so backed up, they did away with the second ones.

The most interesting part of the system change my husband and I noticed this past Saturday, was the fastpass return times on the "lesser" rides. Around 10:30 am, the wait time for Big Thunder was 20 minutes, but the fastpass time was only 5 minutes away. Same for the Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lightyear. Star Tours was only a 20 minute fastpass wait, while standby was 45. As long as you weren't holding a long term fastpass (Space Mountain, Indy, Mission Breakout,) you could almost walk on any of these rides through fastpass. I've never seen the return times THAT close to the actual time.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's an interesting question. If u have to scan your own media, does that mean when MagicPass comes u won't be allowed to manage all of the passes on your single app? The story said they want each person individually for speed - but if u are managing the family's passes then what's the solution? Hmmm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Mistyj View Post
    They did have two checkpoints at WDW to begin with, but the fastpass lines became so backed up, they did away with the second ones.

The most interesting part of the system change my husband and I noticed this past Saturday, was the fastpass return times on the "lesser" rides. Around 10:30 am, the wait time for Big Thunder was 20 minutes, but the fastpass time was only 5 minutes away. Same for the Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lightyear. Star Tours was only a 20 minute fastpass wait, while standby was 45. As long as you weren't holding a long term fastpass (Space Mountain, Indy, Mission Breakout,) you could almost walk on any of these rides through fastpass. I've never seen the return times THAT close to the actual time.
    The last time I was at WDW, they still had the 2 checkpoints. Good to know that may be over

As to the FP times, I saw that from other people as well on Saturday. I believe that has everything to do with the mix of AP holders and ticketed guests in the parks. People who are going to DL on vacation, in my opinion even more than WDW, don't do a whole lot of homework in advance. As such, they may not be as aware of what a FP is and how to use it, or be willing to take the time to learn. (For instance, there is an employee in my office who is very much looking forward to her visit to "Disney California")

I was going to suggest that Disney may have also increased the ratio of FP to standby in an effort to more fully test the new system, but then a friend posted a picture of her at the Dole Whip stand - with NO line - and I went back to my original thinking.

Blog Entries

I had read a tweet over the weekend that showed an image of a list - and the list had tiers of attractions. 3 of them. The last one were the most popular rides with the traditional wait window. The first tier were immediate up to 10 min or so. It was not a Disney official notice so take what u will from it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I found it interesting that they have scanners installed at the entrance to the attraction - as well as where the ride lines merge - requiring two scans and to keep your media out. Do they do this at WDW? have two scanners? I never saw it discussed on the run up to release - but now that its here I can see jmorgan's issue. Its totally putting the responsibility of managing your media in all guests - including young children. Not the greatest plan.
    Possibly not all FP+ attractions, but many (might be all - I can envision many from memory) do still have 2 locations to scan as you progress through the FP+ line in WDW. Many times I have been in queues where the final set of scanners is covered up and you don't scan. I'm not sure if it's random or possibly based on how busy it may be, or other factors. {edit, I still saw the 2nd scanner in use on some rides when I was there in early May. I'm pretty sure they used it at Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster, but probably not at Star Tours off the top of my head. I don't think the second scan point at WDW is dead yet. It may vary on a lot of things - I'd guess busy factor, and also how easy it may be to jump from regular line to FP+ line - if there is no second scan, people would be abusing that instantly on some of the more wait intensive rides...especially if it's easy to jump across (easier on an attraction with chains than one with actual hard railings (or walls), as an example)}

Just another note, people mentioning being happy it's not yet Magicbands.... keep in mind that Magicbands are not required at WDW either. Anyone not wanting to use a MB can ... .wait for it.... wave their ticket media in front of the scanner instead.

This seems an awful like just the first step to work DLR towards bands being an option as well.

It does seem the difference right now is what is scanned. If I read correctly, DLR scanners are using a bar code reader? WDW is (I think) entirely RFID based, be it a ticket, pass, or Magicband (there is certainly no bar code reader at the park entrances or FP+ terminals for rides). If I have my history straight (its possible I don't), I think WDW had the RFID tech for a while before Magicbands came out in 2014 (primarily for resort room entry prior to the into of MB and the FP+ transition from the paper system). That was probably in the master plan long before any of it was rolled out or revealed to the public.

Those readers in the picture sure look similar to the WDW ones, just with some extra hardware bolted on to do the bar code scan. I can easily imagine those units may have the capability to go both ways if they decide to migrate towards the RFID like @ WDW.

{edited to add, I typed much slower than others since many of my points were covered in previous posts over the last 20 minutes }
    Last edited by Dave1313; 06-26-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    -Dave

Disney already made it pretty clear they aren't doing magic bands in any other Disney parks. I think at this point they want to try to go mobile and see how many will go that way or not. Testing how it does by charging the intro cheap price then after that see what happens when the price goes up and if people are still willing to pay for it or not. My husband thinks at some point it will be free for all. Which maybe but I think it will depend on what happens once that intro price is gone.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Disney already made it pretty clear they aren't doing magic bands in any other Disney parks. I think at this point they want to try to go mobile and see how many will go that way or not. Testing how it does by charging the intro cheap price then after that see what happens when the price goes up and if people are still willing to pay for it or not. My husband thinks at some point it will be free for all. Which maybe but I think it will depend on what happens once that intro price is gone.
    Sorry, but I'm going to go slightly off the MaxPass topic for a moment. I'll try to be brief.

I won't dispute they've said at some point MB is not coming to DLR. Seeing the way it's evolved at WDW makes is seem to be a strong future possibility though.

The apparent success of Disney turning MBs into a merchandising product (all the limited editions, character or story specific ones, etc) that people are willing to spend additional $$ on to have a cool looking magic band on their wrist makes it seem very probable. I'm guilty of buying 2 special ones in addition to the generic mono-color resort stay ones I have, some people seem to buy many more. At somewhere between I think ~ $23(I think the simple designs) to $33(for limited edition ones that can do something other than just turn the light green when scanned - sounds, special light effects, maybe both?) for some of these, that's a fair amount of potential cash for Disney to ignore.
    -Dave

I noticed fast pass lines at WDW are separate so there is less, or almost impossible, chance to jump from the regular to the fp return line, which is an issue at DL.
    I have a question about DAS and new fast pass. They could have one of each prior, will this still be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post

I won't dispute they've said at some point MB is not coming to DLR. Seeing the way it's evolved at WDW makes is seem to be a strong future possibility though.
    Disney may never get a "Magic Band" at Disneyland - but that doesn't mean that they can't start selling "MaxPass Bands" or "Magic Plus" or .... (which may or may not be fully compatible with WDW's Magic Bands) As long as they can be sold for a profit, there are probably Disney execs tasked on how to best monetize the upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Sorry, but I'm going to go slightly off the MaxPass topic for a moment. I'll try to be brief.

The apparent success of Disney turning MBs into a merchandising product (all the limited editions, character or story specific ones, etc) that people are willing to spend additional $$ on to have a cool looking magic band on their wrist makes it seem very probable. I'm guilty of buying 2 special ones in addition to the generic mono-color resort stay ones I have, some people seem to buy many more. At somewhere between I think ~ $23(I think the simple designs) to $33(for limited edition ones that can do something other than just turn the light green when scanned - sounds, special light effects, maybe both?) for some of these, that's a fair amount of potential cash for Disney to ignore.
    Which is probably why they are charging for the app and not making it free. As it is no one knows how long the intro price will last and then what the cost will be afterwards. So this is their way to make money off the FP system here.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    ... If they are scanning the barcode - is there any chance they would accept a photocopy of the barcode that your small(er) child could hold that wasn't as valuable as the park admission ticket?.. If we were still passholders, I would totally be experimenting right now with what was scannable, and what the CMs would accept.
    This is going on now on another board. Yesterday, someone did try scanning the bar code from his phone and was successful. Of course, at this time you would still have to take out your AP to insert it into the machine to get a FP in the first place. Once MaxPass is fully operational, that won't necessarily be required because you would have the option to do everything from your phone. Also, someone else on that board tried to use a photocopy of the bar code on card stock for obtaining and redeeming FPs. Success reported in both cases. YMMV, but it could be worth a try with younger kids. Also, people are posting that the scanners work fine through the plastic on a lanyard, so if that works for you, you wouldn't have to be taking your ticket/pass in and out of a purse or pocket on every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I noticed fast pass lines at WDW are separate so there is less, or almost impossible, chance to jump from the regular to the fp return line, which is an issue at DL.
    I have a question about DAS and new fast pass. They could have one of each prior, will this still be the case.
    Yes, the line jumping issue is really noticeable at SM. Wonder how this new system has affected that problem.
    As for DAS, on another board, a poster said that you can still hold both FP and a DAS return time. But there is a new rule that if the FP return time is less than 20 minutes, you will not be issued a DAS return time for that ride. (Don't know if this is really a brand new rule or if it was new to this poster.) People are reporting not using their DAS because the FP return times are so short and the system, once they understand it, is working out well for them.

DS and I noticed this on Friday, too. We were sitting by the entrance to Midway Mania around 10 AM (DCA opened at 9, with early magic hour at 8) and the fastpass return was 10 minutes away. The standby line was 45 minutes. I imagine everyone in that park already had a fastpass for either Mission: Breakout or RSR, so if those rides aren't a priority for you, you'll have a great fastpass experience at DCA right now!
    Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    This is going on now on another board. Yesterday, someone did try scanning the bar code from his phone and was successful. Of course, at this time you would still have to take out your AP to insert it into the machine to get a FP in the first place. Once MaxPass is fully operational, that won't necessarily be required because you would have the option to do everything from your phone. Also, someone else on that board tried to use a photocopy of the bar code on card stock for obtaining and redeeming FPs. Success reported in both cases. YMMV, but it could be worth a try with younger kids. Also, people are posting that the scanners work fine through the plastic on a lanyard, so if that works for you, you wouldn't have to be taking your ticket/pass in and out of a purse or pocket on every ride.
    I am wondering how good an idea it is that you can use a copy like that? Could it cause problems at some point? Really I can't see CMs being picky over parents scanning their kids tickets/passes. Like I said it would be a bit silly if it was to be a problem since you would be standing right there with them to begin with. Interesting about the phone working. I wonder if it will once MaxPass is set up since it is just working off your ticket/pass with physically getting it.

... Really I can't see CMs being picky over parents scanning their kids tickets/passes. Like I said it would be a bit silly if it was to be a problem since you would be standing right there with them to begin with...
    People are reporting that CMs have been fine with parents scanning tickets/APs for their kids. There have been some reports of problems, but overall it seems that CMs don't mind. In the cases that are being reported, it looks totally reasonable for dad or mom to be scanning for young or disabled kids.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

As someone who relys on wifi to make my Ipod Touch work - I would hope they wouldn't go 100% to the phone - until they set up wifi in 100% of the park (although it is nice as an option). I have a feeling if they can figure out a way to make money on something the majority of people would want (a la magic bands), they would....

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwel View Post
    As someone who relys on wifi to make my Ipod Touch work - I would hope they wouldn't go 100% to the phone - until they set up wifi in 100% of the park (although it is nice as an option). I have a feeling if they can figure out a way to make money on something the majority of people would want (a la magic bands), they would....
    it seemed from various reports (like from MP itself) that the wi-fi coverage is in zones, not park wide in every nook and cranny. and most likely it will be phone and nothing else. You can't use your phone? the paper option is still available. And once the phone becomes de rigueur the price will go up - quickly.

Also, people are posting that the scanners work fine through the plastic on a lanyard, so if that works for you, you wouldn't have to be taking your ticket/pass in and out of a purse or pocket on every ride.

As for DAS, on another board, a poster said that you can still hold both FP and a DAS return time. .
    I rarely took my ticket out of my witz case at WDW and all of the scanners picked it up through it. I am assuming they are basically the same scanners.
    Thanks. I will keep watching for more info. I am the go to person for questions so need to keep up.

Oh and Niwel, I saw several parents wearing their child's band and the cast members helping scan them separate for the smaller kids. It didn't seem like a big deal at all, so an option if they did go to bands.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Oh and Niwel, I saw several parents wearing their child's band and the cast members helping scan them separate for the smaller kids. It didn't seem like a big deal at all, so an option if they did go to bands.
    Yes - we did at at WDW when DD wasn't in the mood to wear her bracelet
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

People are reporting that CMs have been fine with parents scanning tickets/APs for their kids. There have been some reports of problems, but overall it seems that CMs don't mind. In the cases that are being reported, it looks totally reasonable for dad or mom to be scanning for young or disabled kids.
    We had a CM tell us that everyone MUST have their own ticket. But then we had other CM who let me scan my kids' passes. I think they were more strict the first morning it started and had eased a bit by Thursday and Friday. We also found the CM at DCA to be nicer about the change than those at DL, but that was Thursday and we were at DL on Wednesday when it started. For us the biggest pain was that we hadn't used my mom's ticket for FP at all as we were always rider swapping. Suddenly we had to ask her for her ticket when we pulled FP. We did check at a later time and we were able to swap people's tickets around if needed. Also we were able to have 4 ride GRR with FP and then 4 ride again 3 using Riderswap and 1 using the last FP. The change was more of an annoyance, than a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    The last time I was at WDW, they still had the 2 checkpoints. Good to know that may be over

As to the FP times, I saw that from other people as well on Saturday. I believe that has everything to do with the mix of AP holders and ticketed guests in the parks. People who are going to DL on vacation, in my opinion even more than WDW, don't do a whole lot of homework in advance. As such, they may not be as aware of what a FP is and how to use it, or be willing to take the time to learn. (For instance, there is an employee in my office who is very much looking forward to her visit to "Disney California")

I was going to suggest that Disney may have also increased the ratio of FP to standby in an effort to more fully test the new system, but then a friend posted a picture of her at the Dole Whip stand - with NO line - and I went back to my original thinking.
    I was just there last week and several rides (Big Thunder Mountain comes to mind) did have two scanning points. It did not hold up the line any more than when Disneyland cast members 1st looked at your FP and the 2nd one physically took it.

Quote Originally Posted by miss bianca View Post
    I was just there last week and several rides (Big Thunder Mountain comes to mind) did have two scanning points. It did not hold up the line any more than when Disneyland cast members 1st looked at your FP and the 2nd one physically took it.
    No more than you already have, because you will always have those who follow directions and keep them out and those who pay no attention that they even were given a direction.

I rarely took my ticket out of my witz case at WDW and all of the scanners picked it up through it. I am assuming they are basically the same scanners.
    Keep in mind that at WDW they are RFID chips that they are scanning for, while at DL they are actually scanning the actual barcode.

Someone on the other board posted that they took photos of all the ticket bar codes and scrolled through them at the scanners. Worked fine. So in this scenario, you would onlly have to take the tickets/passes out at the FP machines, not at the ride scanners.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Which is probably why they are charging for the app and not making it free. As it is no one knows how long the intro price will last and then what the cost will be afterwards. So this is their way to make money off the FP system here.
    Are you saying the DL app will no longer be free?
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021