Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Desert Inn

Desert Inn

Ok, so we are going in late March and my brother wants to stay at the Desert Inn right across from the park. My hubs thinks the place looks a little sketchy, so I also have rooms booked at the new Homewood just a block down the street.

Our parents will be with us so my brother wanted a place that they could just hop on their ECVs and roll right into the park.

For those who have stayed at the Desert Inn, is it ok? Is it clean and not too noisy? Am I better off paying an extra $75/night for the new Homewood?

Thanks!

P.S. I tried to talk my brother into the Candy Cane Inn as it gets great reviews, but they wanted a suite--living room + bedroom.

2. # ADS

I like the Desert Inn & Suites. They have a continental breakfast daily. I have stayed there twice with no problems. I love the location and convenience of where the hotel is located. I have never had a problem staying there. I would suggest though NOT to bring a car if you can avoid it. They don't have a lot of space and I know that if you have them park it, you are taking your chances. I know that they did "wreck" a car once when I was there. The parking lot is small.

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

I have stayed there and you can't beat the location and at times also very affordable.

It's a little older and not bad. I only sleep in a hotel and they all pretty much look the same when the lights are out.

I would stay there again.

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

We've stayed there three times now. We love the location and the rooms are great. We eat in the park so I can't really say much about the breakfast other than it is packed every time we've walked by. I really liked our room at the back of the hotel because it was nice and quiet, the only bad part about being back there is at the end of the night it adds time to sore feet. We didn't have any issues with parking but we also didn't leave the whole time we stayed there.

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Alice, Alice in Wonderland

We have stayed there twice, and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The location is great, they have been updating the hotel for several years, and the breakfast has improved. You cannot beat the location. This is a motel though. They are cheaper than most options across from the parks because they're a little less nice, but they are nice enough and well recommended. If you really want a nice hotel feel then you may be better off at the new Homewood. If you're okay with a nice place, but no frills, then stay at the Desert Inn. It is so nice to just walk across the street in the morning and at night, or to run back to your room because you need something. I feel for those hotels dealing with the impending changes to the entrance; it will definitely impact people's desire to stay there. But for now it's a great location, and that is the main reason for choosing the Desert Inn.

Ok, you sold me. I have two different room types booked--a suite and a standard. Location wise, is one better the. The other or are all the room types mixed together? Thanks!

We had a parlor suite last year and it was on the top floor, about halfway back. I believe they told us all the suites are in that area. I think the standard rooms are kind of all over the place as far as location goes.

We are set to stay here for our upcoming trip, but I was wondering what everyone thinks about the beds? In the pictures they look pretty stiff.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Just had a very bad experience with them this past weekend; I arrived at 3pm to discover that they had cancelled my reservation & had no more rooms! They claimed to have had an issue charging the first night's room & cancelled when they couldn't reach me (we received NO calls from them until I had already left for the airport at 10am!). I demanded they find me another room nearby, which they did (Anaheim Plaza, which doubled our walking commute to the parks & cost me an extra $100), but I will be seriously reevaluating ever staying with them again.

Ya, I worry about this when they try to process your card 72 hours before your arrival date.
    We are usually enroute and unable to reach.

All your Dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.-Walt Disney

Desert Inn

I was curious about this hotel but after looking at various reviews it appears this location may have a bed bug problem. Last review I saw was early July 2017. You might want to double check this info.

DLand/DCA-9/17,5/16,9/15,3/15,11/12,9/10,4/09,4/06,7/00
    1st time cruising ever was "Cruise to Nowhere 1/2011"

Where did you get your info ??

https://www.yelp.com/biz/anaheim-des...t_by=date_desc

There are a few reports of bed bugs between March and May. That is as far as I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by binki View Post
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/anaheim-des...t_by=date_desc

There are a few reports of bed bugs between March and May. That is as far as I looked.
    I don't really trust Yelp anymore. It seems like it is just a place for the complainers to go and write horrible things.

I don't like yelp either. I noticed other reports from a few years back but these were more recent.

The hotels north of Ball on Harbor have been there since dirt was new. Harbor south of Ball and north of Katella is mosltly cleaned up with big chains. It used to be really bad the entire way.

Desert Inn

I saw the reviews info from TripAdvisor and googling. I seldom use yelp myself.

DLand/DCA-9/17,5/16,9/15,3/15,11/12,9/10,4/09,4/06,7/00
    1st time cruising ever was "Cruise to Nowhere 1/2011"

I to don't trust Yelp, as far as Tripadvisor i do believe they are trustworthy but you have to sometimes read between the lines. It seems that some are looking for a 5 star hotel for a 2 or 3 star price and when they don't get it they complain about everything.

As far as the Desert Inn, we have stayed there twice this year in Feb. and May and with the exception of a bad air conditioner which they fixed we have had no problems. When it comes to bed bugs i didn't see anything but keep in mind that every hotel including the Disneyland hotels have all had bed bug reports..

2019 Trips........ Feb , April, and June

I agree with Pammer that they do have a problem with the credit card authorization before you arrive. I got a call today for our stay tomorrow so that makes 2 out of 3 stays they have had this problem. Never had this issue at the other hotels we have stayed at on Harbor.

2019 Trips........ Feb , April, and June

I know we stayed there a couple times many years ago and it was fine. No problems with our credit card or anything else. I will say that when i had to look for a hotel for my son and I back in Jan then for my friend and I in May I skipped this one because the reviews. I don't use the sites like TripAdvisor or Expedia to book my rooms since I do it with the hotels (usually cheaper I have found and no fees) but I use them for their reviews. You usually you can tell if someone is just overly picky or complaining to complain on reviews. Yet I saw the word bedbugs and that did it for me. I was disappointed too because the prices was a good amount compared to some. Things like that are why I always check reviews on rooms for any hotel before I book. While I will only be using the room to sleep in and shower, I don't want a dirty room with bugs.

There are plenty of hotels right in that area that are good still to be at by the parks. Tropicana Inn we have been good with, Camelot, and Fairfield. Not sure costs at this point or reviews but those we have stayed at over the years. We used Camelot last year 2 times for a night with no problems. Its not great but it was clean and beds decent. What I wouldn't recommend right in that area is the Grand Legacy though. The beds were terrible and super old. As were the pillows. The floor wasn't bad but the bathroom had mold in areas. Then there is the rooftop parties at night with thumping music which isn't great when you have to get up at 3 am for a race.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I remember googeling Anaheim and bedbugs and it seemed like every hotel had a complaint. Expensive, inexpensive..... Even they Disney hotels had complaints of them.

Sometimes I think people's phobias made them think ever bug they saw was a bedbug

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    I remember googeling Anaheim and bedbugs and it seemed like every hotel had a complaint. Expensive, inexpensive..... Even they Disney hotels had complaints of them.

Sometimes I think people's phobias made them think ever bug they saw was a bedbug
    Oh yeah bedbugs can be any hotel. Price does not matter at all. I have a few rules I go by in hotels too and learn another from some friends that ended up with bedbugs. We never put bags on the beds. On tables or the luggage rack. We never keep our shoes on the floor either once off. Those go up as well. The shoes is how our friends ended up with them in their place. Living in an apartment at the time they had to pay for their place and the one above and next to them to be done as a precaution as well. I always check under the mattresses as well.

I do think that you are right on some and the phobias. Its why I always look at reviews from newest to oldest and just go back to a certain point to see if there is more than one that might say something about bugs. More so of course from the newer ones left and if there is a few or more close together.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Checked into Desert Inn today. I got an explanation on the credit card problem and asked about the bedbug issue. The person i talked to has been very good to us and i trust what she said.

Credit Card Issue;
    I for one am a planner and will book months in advance. I was told that the authorization that thwy do at the time of booking can expire for these early bookings which can cause the card to be denied before you arruve. I guess the service they use is trying to avoid fraud. They say they will call and then send you an e-mail if you don't call back. If they don't hear from you by 3 the day of your reservation it could be cancelled. I was then told that they are now doing a one penny charge when you book to try and avoid this problem.

As far as the bed bug problem goes. I was told that they had one room with this problem and they brought a third party company in to resolve it. We checked our beds over when we got here and found no problems. If you do a search you will find an Orange County Register article from a couple years ago that lists nearly all the hotels in this area including the Disneyland hotels that I've had this problem. No one wants to deal with this but it's a fact of life and I believe it all boils down to how each Hotel handles it.

Thanks jacandjan for that. I know we never had issues with our credit card and that place. Yet it seems they are trying to fix the issues. I can imagine any hotel would want to get a hold on bedbugs before it gets out of hand and into all rooms. I just know for me if the reviews is close to a stay I will pass. If its older then I will look past it if there wasn't issues after the fact and closer to when I need a room. For me its not just bedbugs but any bugs really. I don't want to see roaches in a room. I don't want mold in a bathroom or the rest of the room even. Otherwise I am not that picky really since I am there for sleep and shower. LOL Who wants to be in a hotel room all day when Disneyland is across the street?

Stay here all the time with 2 family members that use EVC's, never had a CC processing issue or bed bugs. We've booked just about every room type and if you are a large family get the Parlor Suite C1 or C2..C2 has two full baths, two seperate rroms with 2-beds and a seperate lil room wth a sofa sleeper the teenage Grandson stays in...ONE door so they're both perfect. Only issue is parking if you have a big vehicle, they do get booked up and will have you park next door if there are no spaces. (THE WHOLE REASON WE BOOK HERE...PARK AND NEVER HAVE TO MOVE THE CAR UNTIL WE LEAVE!!!) They have a small breakfast room with a continental BF but we bring cereal and milk for the kids or go to the Denny's next door which is great food and service (Prices are obviously because of the location higher but its a Vacation) WE rent the electric Carts from a local spot that delivers them to the lobby and picks them up when we leave. Enough room to charge in the room but you can leave/charge in the lobby.

Best Way To Contact Me: onelowsuv@comcast.net

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacandjan View Post
    Credit Card Issue: I for one am a planner and will book months in advance.
    This is what I do in order to get the cheaper rates; I have no issue with them calling to confirm the credit card as long as they do it BEFORE I LEAVE FOR THE AIRPORT ON THE DAY OF ARRIVAL!!! I thought they were just trying to get more money out of a same-day reservation by canceling mine that had a cheaper rate. They had NO trouble whatsoever charging me 48hours before a reservation in April, even though I called 51hours before check-in to cancel! Same thing...reservation had been made MONTHS in advance; thankfully, my nightly rate was only $79 so it wasn't TOO high a penalty.
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021