Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Fort Wilderness Cabins (or other ideas for group of 6)

Fort Wilderness Cabins (or other ideas for group of 6)

We're planning a trip for a group of 6 adults that is still in the early stages (not going until 2018). Our budget is not huge and 4 of us are trying to convince the 2 with a tighter wallet that the benefits of staying onsite are worth the extra price.

Right now we are considering one of the Cabins. We're hoping the extra sink in the kitchen and the extra vanity in the bedroom can help ease some of the trouble with only one bathroom, but I'm not sure we're being realistic or not.

Another snag we are concerned with, is we weren't planning on renting a car or anything, and I am not sure a cabin would be practical without one. I have seen that golf carts are available to rent, but not sure if that would do us a lot of good, and price would have to be considered.

Our budget does not really allow for us to stay in any kind of onsite suite. Reserving two rooms at a value resort may be an option, but we would really have to be sold on one of those.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

And a little off topic... I have noticed that right now the resort has a package deal on some of their hotels, and the dates apply to the dates we are considering in 2018. Is this sort of deal typical? If we can expect a discount for our dates, it will open up our options a little.

2. # ADS

I have done 4 adults & one bathroom and been ok. we have never done the cabins but have looked at them as options. Be it cabins or 2 values you still are not close to much. The cabins of course have the benefit of a kitchen. FW does have the boats to MK as well as buses and the values are served only by the buses. The 2 rooms would offer the benefit of 2 bathrooms but alas these are tiny rooms for 4 adults. Are you planning on doing a lot of resort down time? Afternoon breaks etc? This would definitely impact where to stay. Have you considered trying the Swan/Dolphin. These have beautiful rooms, many amenities as well as close to a great deal. You can easily access Disney transportation and you get the FPs as well as extra magic hours. May be another option for you. They run a lot of specials too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Be aware that 2 of the adults will have to sleep in the bunk beds that share a bedroom with the queen bed.

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

I want the top bunk! lol

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Quote Originally Posted by kisstheradio View Post
    We're planning a trip for a group of 6 adults that is still in the early stages (not going until 2018). Our budget is not huge and 4 of us are trying to convince the 2 with a tighter wallet that the benefits of staying onsite are worth the extra price.

Right now we are considering one of the Cabins. We're hoping the extra sink in the kitchen and the extra vanity in the bedroom can help ease some of the trouble with only one bathroom, but I'm not sure we're being realistic or not.

Another snag we are concerned with, is we weren't planning on renting a car or anything, and I am not sure a cabin would be practical without one. I have seen that golf carts are available to rent, but not sure if that would do us a lot of good, and price would have to be considered.

Our budget does not really allow for us to stay in any kind of onsite suite. Reserving two rooms at a value resort may be an option, but we would really have to be sold on one of those.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

And a little off topic... I have noticed that right now the resort has a package deal on some of their hotels, and the dates apply to the dates we are considering in 2018. Is this sort of deal typical? If we can expect a discount for our dates, it will open up our options a little.
    I have a couple of thoughts that might be useful:

We've stayed in Fort Wilderness campground many times with a fifth wheel trailer and a tent. Unless you have specific mobility issues, a golf cart is not required. There are busses that run through the campground with stops at strategic locations. Actually, there are three separate lines running through the campgrounds. For travel to the Magic Kingdom, you take a bus to The Settlement and catch a boat. To travel to all other parks and Disney Springs, you'll ride the bus to The Outpost and transfer to another bus. Really easy to figure out and use once you get there.

You might check the specific sleeping configuration at the cabins though. We're showing for cabins that sleep six: They are equipped with one queen bed, one double bunk, and one sofa sleeper; not exactly ideal. We were inside a cabin once briefly when some friends stayed there. The kitchen appeared to be very functional, which could save a lot of money, but the beds weren't our favorite.

We think that when someone is on a tight budget that the "Value" hotels offer a lot. Value hotels of course are the Pop Century, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, and Art of Animation. The rooms are physically smaller than the "Moderate" rooms but are layed out almost the same. They are usually equipped with two double sized beds instead of two queens. They have small refrigerators, but no coffee makers or microwaves. Actually, no rooms have microwaves until you get into the suites, with kitchens.

When you stay on property, and if you've flown in, you can use Disney transportation from the airport throughout your stay, and back to the airport. There's no need to rent a car unless you need to travel outside Disney property, and then you can rent from Alamo on property for only one day.

One issue to consider when you're on a tight budget is food. The bad news is food tends to be more expensive than the usual fast food venue off property. The good news is that, at least for us, we find that the food portions are enough that we often split our meals at breakfast and lunch. All of a sudden, for people who aren't really heavy eaters, the food isn't all that excessive in terms of price. The food courts at the Value hotels actually provide a pretty good meal too. Of course, food would be a bit of an issue if you stayed off property too. It always is when you're traveling.

So, that's our advice.
    • Stay on property and consider one of the value hotels, especially when they run a sale. Of course, if you're okay with the sleeping choices at the cabins, Fort Wilderness Campground is a great experience. You can even have food delivered to your room for your kitchen. Check out GardenGrocer.com.

• Use Disney transportation instead of renting a car.

• Get creative with the food to help curb the cost.

It's a great way to see Walt Disney World and have a great time while you're here.
    Don Fink

Mouseplanet.com
    HiddenMesa.com

Thought to add to the discussion and I don't know the answer....isn't there a fee for additional adults in a room outside the first 2? Im Not sure if it applies to the cabin or not.