Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walt Disney World test drives Express Transportation

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Walt Disney World test drives Express Transportation

The latest added-charge service from Walt Disney World debuted last week, and promises to transport park-hopping visitors between theme parks faster and easier than ever before. Express Transportation is an upgrade available to customers with park hopper tickets, and to annual passholders. The service offers direct, non-stop bus transportation among each of the four theme parks, with new dedicated bus stops in backstage areas inside each of the parks.

You read that correctly, rather than merely adding a dedicated bus and route to the collection of buses already queued outside each park, Disney is for the first time using buses to deliver day guests inside the theme parks. Express Transportation kiosks are located inside of each theme park, with the bus stops just offstage in areas normally not open to park visitors. In each park, the locations are:

• Magic Kingdom park: Near exit of Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin
    • Epcot: East side of Spaceship Earth
    • Disneys Hollywood Studios: Courtyard in front of Rock n Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
    • Disneys Animal Kingdom park: Near entrance to Kilimanjaro Safaris

Disney fans who have taken backstage tours may recognize these locations, as they are some of the bus-accessible stops used on various tours.
    At first glance, this offering seems a bit unusual, because park-to-park transportation is not really something we hear people really complain about. The interminable wait for a bus to and from hotels, absolutely, or the gridlock outside the Magic Kingdom on busy nights when the wait for a Monorail nears 30 minutes, but park to park?

Not only does this service offer direct transportation between parks, but it also allows passengers to skip the main entrance lines and security screening as you arrive at the new park. Since visitors will be picked up inside a theme parkhence, inside a secure zoneand taken directly to another secure zone with no stops, there's no need for security. There's also no need to wait at the entrance gatesa cast member with a handheld scanner will read your MagicBand or ticket, and you're on your way.

The price for this convenience is surprisingly low as Disney perks go. A one-day pass is $15, but the person who already paid $164 for a one-day park hopper ticket is probably willing to spend a little more to help them get the most out of their limited time.
    But from there, a 7-day pass is just $24, and that is less than the cost of an Uber between any two Disney theme parks. Some super-planners might just chalk that up to vacation insurance, and willingly add the extra cost to their package.

Express Transportation tickets can be purchased at all of the theme park ticket booths; from the Disney Springs ticket booth; from the concierge desk at all Walt Disney World Resort hotels; at the ticket desks at the Swan and Dolphin Resorts; and, if you're in a rush to park-hop immediately, directly from the check-in kiosks in the parks.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Interesting.

For $24 for up to a whole week (AP holder), it's almost tempting to consider trying to do the more traditional "Disney Bubble" thing and forgo a car.

I normally go for a car for flexibility(even if staying on site, though sometimes I split on/off site), but that skipping entrance lines/security got my attention!

-Dave

Blog Entries

Any word on how the 7 days works? Is it consecutive from day of purchase or first use? Or is it 7 days with in a 14 day period (from when)?
    We usually go 10 days and take a non park day in the middle. We generally don't hop on the last day and maybe not on the first.

Going on our first Disney Cruise
    Very Merrytime Cruise 12/5/2022
    ~Katrina

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KJSJpipe View Post
    Any word on how the 7 days works? Is it consecutive from day of purchase or first use? Or is it 7 days with in a 14 day period (from when)?
    We usually go 10 days and take a non park day in the middle. We generally don't hop on the last day and maybe not on the first.
    Seven consecutive days.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Seven consecutive days.

AVP
    That's surprising (and a bit unfortunate). With all passes now having an expiration date and most/all having the 14-day F-use, I would have hoped that they would either have the multi-day valid for up to 14 days or have it as an add-on that is valid for as many days as your pass is valid (within the applicable F-use)

I'll be curious to see how this test works out. This is something that would make me more inclined to park-hop at WDW. We almost always buy passes that allow hopping, but most of our hopping seems to involve walking through Epcot for this reason or that, rather than actively going to multiple parks in a single day.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I realize that for some this is a great service but it sure degrades the aesthetics of the design of a theme park and how it's supposed to unfold for guests. At some point u have to ask why have weenies and highly detailed areas when the focus is moving to point to point and ride to ride. Yes - it's way early and speculation - but I can see the logic there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Seven consecutive days.

AVP

Thanks! Guess we will see how it works out between now and June to seee if it's worth it.
    Going on our first Disney Cruise
    Very Merrytime Cruise 12/5/2022
    ~Katrina

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So far, Ive been seeing a lot of people saying that they tried it - and liked it.
    But like anything else - you have to determine if the money is worth it.
    Im thinking that during the busy times - it just may be.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Walt Disney World test drives Express Transportation

I think that's a good deal for a week. Hope it is still there in February.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    I think that's a good deal for a week. Hope it is still there in February.
    I agree, I will be there exactly 7 days in May and think it would be worth it if only to bypass the security checks every time you changed parks.
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Ok, I'll admit I was the first to be skeptical over this - I've never had a problem with transportation between parks, and I am a park stormer that delights in 6 or 7 gates in a long day. I tried it on my own on December 30th, and I'm in love! I really hope that this trial goes well, because I would always do this in a busy time. The gates at MK, DHS, and DAK were incredibly convenient - I would have preferred if Epcot let you off more to the middle of the park. It was easy to add to my magic band, and the buses leave on a regular schedule. At least currently that is:
    From Magic Kingdom to: Epcot - :00 and :30; DAK - :10 and :40; DHS - :20 and :50
    From DHS to: Epcot - :00 and :30, DAK - :10 and :40; MK - :20 and :50
    From DAK to: MK - :00 and :30, DHS - :10 and :40; Epcot - :20 and :50
    From Epcot to: DHS - :00 and :30 (the only one I got - this was the last trip of the night)

I rode from DAK to DHS, DHS to MK, MK to DHS, DHS to Epcot, and Epcot to DHS. Each time except the last, I was the only passenger on board the bus. Buses left exactly at their designated time, and as long as you were a couple of minutes before you got on the bus. The longest trip was about 20 minutes from boarding the bus at the studios to disembarking inside Tomorrowland. Never having to go through security again was amazing (especially when I saw the lines at Epcot the next day).

My only complaint, and it seems this was specific to the day I used it, was that it only ran from 10am through 8pm. I was told by various people that this was due to either: the perimeter fireworks for NYE, or the overabundance of traffic and inability to stay on time. There appeared to be two buses for each route.

Is there a downside to losing the themed entrance of the parks? Absolutely. Would I do it on my first time - probably not. But it is an incredible convenience, and an amazing steal in my opinion for what you are getting. If you are park storming like me, and want to get the most out of a day - this is a great tool to have in the arsenal.

Chris

Thanks for the report, Chris.

Sounds like this may be a winner, 20 minutes point to point is obviously faster than any other method. I will need to start to remember to think with respect to the locations of the stops themselves... for example if I'm near the International Gateway in EPC and it takes me 10 minutes to get to the stop near SE, that's 10 minutes into my normal 1/2 hour walk to the Studios (and of course I need to be ready to go to match one of the 2 times of departure). I'd think that is the only possibly bad one. DHS isn't big enough for location to matter much, IMO, and the DAK location to me seems to be a good spot unless you were trying to go visit Dinoland all the way across the park.

That was an impressive hopping day! (looking for the "I'm not worthy" bowing smiley! )

If/when I schedule a trip to see the EPC F&G Festival this spring, I will be sure to check it out if it is still offered.

The time of operation does concern me just a little. If I started my day by driving to one park, then did some hops, I would hope to be able to take an Express back to the park where I had my car parked, even if I was trying to go back to the park when it was technically closed to getting on lines for rides as the day winds down at closing.

Thanks again for writing up the report!

-Dave

Thanks Chris for sharing!

I agree with others about loosing some of the aesthetic of the parks. And personally I love taking the Monorail everywhere! But I have trouble with long walks (not enough for disabled pass or anything) and the pain can really tire me. My heart wants to go to the next ride or sight to see, but my legs stop me from even being able to go down Main Street. So personally, I'm glad to see this kind of transportation available for someone like me who struggles in the park.

Express transportation

We purchased the express transportation option on one of the days we were at the parks. We used it to go from AK to HS. We had intended to use it to go from HS to MK as well, but our dinner ran late and the park was closed when we got done.

I thought the option was very cool and would definitely use it if you intend to hop around the world. We exited right next to the safari entrance and walked around backstage to an area where they had the "VIP" buses parked. We were the only people on the bus. Then we took the back road out of AK. We drive by all of the greenhouses and gardens that they have backstage. The bus brought us to the back of HS and let us off behind the Tower of Terror. Really cool to see the backside of the building and some of the design that you don't get to see from inside the park. We entered just to the side of the Rockin Roller Coaster entrance. The whole process between parks took about 15 minutes.

Express transportation

I spoke to a couple last week who used this as well (we didn't). They had managed to watch Illuminations at Epcot and then get to MK to watch Wishes as well using this service.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Do you have to be AP holders or DVC members to use this options? Or can anyone purchase this?

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    Do you have to be AP holders or DVC members to use this options? Or can anyone purchase this?
    Anyone can purchase.

I was also skeptical (especially because of the price tag) but we tried this out of desperation last week while we were there and LOVED it. We all agreed, on future trips, we'd rather pay for this bus service than have a fancy dinner. We had guests with us that were tired of walking, so we used it from the Studios to MK and I'm guessing it easily saved us an hour and a half. The bus left promptly (we were the only passengers even!) and we were in Tomorrowland within 20 minutes. It was the best! No walking through security, no walking all the way out of the park to wait for a bus. Especially getting to MK seems to be difficult at times with long lines of guests waiting to head over there in the evening. I'm hoping Disney continues this service, because it was a slam dunk for us. We were able to hit 3 parks in one day! Does anyone have any ideas of how I could send this feedback to Disney?

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the notes, if Disney is still offering this by Christmas I believe I will buy the 7 day tickets. Seems worth the cost.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Looking forward to using this next week. Since I will be there exactly 7 days it will be perfect for me.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    Looking forward to using this next week. Since I will be there exactly 7 days it will be perfect for me.
    Let me (us) know how it worked for you please!
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Does anyone know if there is a place we can look on line to confirm the current schedules? I tried the WDW site and didn't see it obviously listed in the tickets area.

Chris did a great job of posting most of them back on January1st, but things have a way of evolving over time, and I'd like to confirm the times if possible so I can figure this into my rough plans (or at least try to commit them to memory for somewhat spontaneous use ).

{edit: I found the service listed on the WDW site, but it just refers to leaving every 1/2 hour rather than actual times for all the combinations}

Thanks!

-Dave

That's all I've seen. I would assume on the hour and on the half hour. If I notice something different next week I'll try to remember to post here.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    That's all I've seen. I would assume on the hour and on the half hour. If I notice something different next week I'll try to remember to post here.
    Thanks. I'll be there next week too. I'm hoping there is at least a signboard at the locations or maybe a small paper list they will provide if you sign up.

I did find another post on a different fan site that claims it was updated in late February. It differed slightly from what Chris had above. See here if you are interested. On first glance it looks like the MK to other parks order (based on starting "on the hour") was flipped around for DAK and EPC. The rest I think was the same since the order repeats starting at 30 minutes past the hour.
    Last edited by Dave1313; 05-03-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    -Dave

From a review elsewhere:

If you ask a cast member, they will tell you the time they expect the bus to arrive. We werent able to get exact times for each park so you may have to wait a bit for a bus. The first 2 buses we rode no wait at all; the second 2 we had to wait 25-30 minutes for the bus.
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!