Blog Entries

Steve Russo - November 29 - December 5, 2016 - Boardwalk Villas

November 29 December 5, 2016
    Boardwalk Villas

Participants
    Steve As always, your humble narrator.
    Barb My faithful traveling companion.

Planning

First, I have to admit that this will be our first stay at the Boardwalk, our DVC home resort, in almost two years. I cant say how thats happened but the last two years have included stays at the Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower and Saratoga Springs. While we certainly enjoyed all those resorts, some less than others (cough, cough Saratoga Springs), were anxious to get back to our home.

Ive learned there are only three phases in the life of a DVC member: youre either getting ready for a trip; on a trip; or planning the next trip. Those phases often overlap and thats the case now. While we visit, were getting ready for our extended (almost-but-not-quite Snowbird) trip in January, which will include our daughter, Michelle, and her family. Were also in the planning stages for a mid-year 2017 trip as well as one with our son, Stephen, and his family in January 2018. Ive often said the planning is almost as much fun as the trip.

This trip was planned and booked 11 months ago. Last year we visited during November, which allowed us to catch the last couple of days of the Food and Wine Festival and celebrate Barbs birthday and our 43rd wedding anniversary. We decided to move this trip a bit later to catch a few of the Christmas specials: Candlelight Processional, castle lighting, new fireworks at Hollywood Studios, etc. Well likely still celebrate our 44th anniversary with a dinner, albeit about 10 days late.

I made just a couple of ADRs: Kona Caf for dinner and a lunch at the new Skippers Canteen. The scheduling of advance FastPasses is also done but I readily admit to experimenting with strategy. I typically book the attractions we consider the most important (and the busiest) for first thing in the morning. I am deviating just a bit from that on some of the days, trying to take advantage of visiting an E-ticket attraction via the standby queue at park opening, and possibly revisiting that attraction later via a Fastpass. I also made a single evening FastPass for Kilimanjaro Safaris, hoping to ride after dark.

Flights were booked months ago. I was able to get a decent rate of about $219 RT for direct flights on Southwest. I splurged on the Early-Bird Check In so theres nothing left to do but wait.

Day 0 November 28, 2016

The day before a trip is typically spent readying the house, packing and loading the car and, maybe, some last minute shopping. Unfortunately, today had a much more somber tone. We recently lost a long-time friend. His passing was very sudden which makes a difficult time even worse for his family and friends. We spent time today attending the funeral services.

Once we returned home, we finished the packing and I loaded our two suitcases into the car so were ready to go in the morning. We normally book the first direct flight of the day and thats usually in the 7:30 timeframe. For some reason the flight departs tomorrow at 6:30am. Im not complaining because getting into Orlando before 10:00 is a good thing but the alarm is now set for Very Stupid Thirty 2:30am! Were in bed at 9:45, hoping to get a reasonable amount of sleep but knowing we wont.

Day 1 Tuesday, November 29, 2016 Im not a stupid person. Really.

Im always awake before the alarm. Im awake at 12:15 and up at 1:00. Deep sigh I couldve used the sleep.

We have our coffee and take turns showering. Heres where my trip takes a turn for the worse. First, a little background. While in the depths of my addled mind Im still a robust and virile 30-year old, I admit that my next birthday (in about 3 weeks from me writing this) gives me 67 trips around the sun. The realization that Im now a senior citizen has sunk in as has the aching knees and shoulders that come from moderate arthritis in both knees and my neck. Id like to meet the person that said, Life begins at 60 and kick his ***.

Now, Im not a stupid person. Really, Im not. However, sometimes I do stupid things. OK, I guess that makes me a little stupid. As Im readying the shower, I spy a fairly large spider ambling across the ceiling. I grab a tissue and, as Ive done a hundred times before, step up to the edge of the tub to retrieve said spider. This time, however, as I push up with my left leg, I feel a pop in the left knee and immediate and significant shooting pain behind that knee. Whoops, what did I just do? Crippling a knee is not the best thing to do just before a Walt Disney World trip when you know youll be walking 6-10 miles per day.

I drop a couple of Aleve and push through the shower and getting dressed thinking the pain is temporary and will subside over time - except it doesnt. Going downstairs is taking one stair at a time and holding on to the railing for dear life.

We reach the airport at 4:36. Im limping pretty badly but the luggage is on wheels. In the Albany airport, theres a bridge from the parking garage to the second floor of the airport (departure gates). We typically drag our luggage down the escalator to check our bags, and then head back up for the Security checks. I wasnt exactly sure how to negotiate the escalator but I chose to step with the left leg first which was a huge mistake because it collapsed and I came very close to going down, with the heavy suitcase, and probably rolling down the escalator.

I managed to grab the railing, righted myself and we found the Southwest counter. Hard to believe that there was a line of 15-20 people already there at 4:45am.

We checked the bags and, due to scoring TSA PRE boarding passes, breezed through Security in record time although Barb did get run over by some idiot trying to get around her aggressive driving in the security line.

The flight was so-so with moderate turbulence for the first 1.5 hours. Ive mentioned this before but its one of my pet peeves. The flying time from Albany to Orlando is almost always 2:40. The schedule for the return flight always reflects this but, for some reason, the flight down is always listed at 3:00 or more. Todays flight is listed as 6:30-10:00 a full 3:30 flying time. Why? True to form, we landed at 9:15 and were slightly delayed waiting for a gate to clear because we landed early even though we ALWAYS land early.

On the flight, I kept testing my knee and got up twice to use the rest room mostly because I wanted to stretch my leg, fearing 3 hours of sitting would do more damage.

My limp was a bit more pronounced and I was walking more slowly than normal but I made the long trek to DME without incident. We waited in the corral for about ten minutes then waited another 20 on the bus after boarding. Bad timing on our part its much better if a bus has already begun loading when you arrive.

I had done early electronic check-in and would typically receive a text while on the DME bus advising me of our room number or (more likely) that our room isnt yet ready. No text at all so, upon arrival, we visited the front desk. Our room was not yet cleaned and the CM, Debbie, tried to find one that was ready. I had requested one near the elevators and with my new knee issue, I didnt want to give that up. She thought she had a solution and made a phone call but it didnt work out.

I checked my backpack with Bell Services and then we were off to Epcot (choosing the elevator rather than the stairs).

At the International Gateway, we stopped at the Guest Relations booth. Our Annual Passes would expire on January 3 and, so we could book FastPass+ reservations for January, I recently renewed them (getting the bonus 13th month included as part of the promotion). I thought wed stop and pick up the new cards but they werent yet available. The CM did activate them for us so were now good through February 2, 2018. Well need to stop back on the next trip to pick up new cards that will have the discount years listed as 2017-2018.

I also verified what I thought was the rule for the Tables in Wonderland (TiW) card the card will expire at the end of the month following the one-year anniversary of the month activated. Ive been wrestling with whether or not to purchase the TiW card considering many restaurants would be offering comparable discounts through September 2017 on the Annual Pass. If I purchase the TiW today (November 29, 2016) it will expire December 31, 2017. If I wait until December 1, the expiration moves to January 31, 2018. Thats important to us because it will allow us to use it for most of this trip, a 3-week trip in January, another mid-year 2017 trip and a likely 3-week trip in January 2018. TiW also offers discounts on alcohol purchases (and Ive been known to have the occasional cocktail) and it offers 20% on Chef Mickeys and Ohana where the AP is only 10% - and well likely visit both establishments twice during the period. All of that is what led to my decision to purchase the TiW.

We entered Epcot via the IG and expelled the usual Aaaaahhhh as we walked (limped) down the hill by the Rose and Crown. I was learning that the knee pain was much more pronounced going downhill than up and its amazing how unaware I was of the number of hills within Walt Disney World until they caused pain there are TONS of hills and slopes.

We walked immediately to the Land where I was reminded of the sloping aisles leading down to the escalator. I moved to the side so my slow pace wouldnt hold anyone up and used railings and the wall as I painfully made my way downhill. The escalator (or stairs) presented its own challenge. I couldnt figure out which leg to lead with when getting on or off. Either way would have me placing my weight on the left leg for a short time and catching some sharp pain. Getting on the escalator involved a grimace; getting off was a near collapse and a lurch forward.

We rode Soarin (Around the World) for the first time using our first FastPass. We were in the new Concourse C, which I learned is a loooong walk back through the exit at the end of the ride. Addressing a few comments Ive read previously I thought the scene segues were well done and the amount of CGI used was fine. We both loved the new film and couldnt wait to ride again.

We walked (limped) from the Land back to the Odyssey so I could visit First Aid. I was hoping to purchase a compression wrap, which I thought, might stabilize things a bit more and make walking easier. I had already decided that the best course of action would be to power through it counting on walking and using the knee to help. I felt that extended sitting, as in the use of a scooter or wheelchair, would just cause the knee to tighten and get worse.

The CM at First Aid dispelled a potential hamstring issue (the pain didnt go into the buttock) but couldnt offer much beyond ibuprofen (I had my own) and an Ace bandage (which I accepted). The pain was behind the knee and upward, maybe 2-3 inches in the back of the thigh. Im hoping its muscular or a sprained tendon.

Have I mentioned its sunny and 85 degrees? The forecast for the week is mostly warm highs ranging from high-70s to low-80s.

We hit the Rose and Crown for a Black and Tan (me) and a Golden (Barb). You know, beer doesnt have many vitamins, which is why you need to drink a lot of it. I noticed the Golden is no longer made with Stella Artois, inquired and was told it was because Stella was not a UK beer so its been phased out. By the way, I would have saved $5 with the TiW card.

In deference to my limp and the hill to the boardwalk, we rode the Friendship boat to the boardwalk dock and had lunch at the ESPN Club. Barb had a Caesar salad and I had the turkey sandwich with cucumber salad (because I felt the 34 pounds of turkey I consumed over Thanksgiving and the following days apparently just wasnt enough). I chose the cucumber salad in place of fries because Im trying to shed some weight. Id like to lose 10 pounds by Christmas only 13 more to go. Hahahaha. We both opted for water and used the AP for a 20% discount. I was struck by how much smaller the ESPN menu had gotten. No Home Run Dog, no Dinger sandwich mostly burgers and salads.

We tried to peek inside the new Ample Hill Creamery (ice cream place that replaced the ESPN Arcade) and the AbracadaBar (bar that replaced Seashore Sweets) but neither was yet open.

We then visited the Screen Door and Dundys Sundries in the lobby. We had another 20 minutes in the lobby and I used that time to take some photos. Some of the Christmas decorations (two trees and lots of garland) were up but more would come later in the week. We checked at the desk (no text yet) and were told room 1113 was finally ready.

I later checked and found we actually stayed in this room before (in 2013). This is in the Lisa Cubbon/Laura Gilbreath preferred area that offers a very convenient location. The patio offers a view of the front drive and the fountain (off to the right) and a view of Illuminations fireworks through the trees. Its a short walk to the front for the bus stop. Its a shorter walk to the back and the quiet pool which also offers a shortcut to the Disneys Hollywood Studios walkway. Its also a short walk to the main pool and boardwalk (with continuing service to Epcot). A great location with the only downside being theres no reason to visit the lobby.

As I mentioned, this was our first Boardwalk stay in quite a while, and first since the room renovations. I really liked the new color scheme, the wood flooring in the foyer and kitchenette area and the 50 flat screen hung on the wall. The new table is also larger and better positioned and serves as the pedestal for the day bed, which folds out of the wall. The only downside was that table/bed replaces the dresser with the large drawers. Theres now a standalone dresser with doors and four smaller drawers. This limited drawer space was okay for Barb and I but a family of 3 or 4 would likely find the storage a bit short.

We called Bell Services and our luggage was brought up quickly. We unpacked and got some ice. I used a zip-lock bag from my backpack and the Ace bandage to ice the back of my knee while we took a quick power nap. Having been up since just past midnight, falling asleep quickly was not a problem.

After a 30-minute power nap, we freshened up, I wrapped the knee with the bandage and we were off to Disneys Hollywood Studios. I chose to walk, hoping it would be good for the knee. I later learned an Ace bandage is not the best thing for wrapping a knee it kept sliding up and down, separating at the joint. A sleeve would have worked much better.

Barb was selected for the metal detector screening but we were through security in good fashion and joined a short line at the theyre not really turnstiles any longer so lets go with pedestals. Getting through the entrance was easy until a woman backed away from the pedestals on my left and bumped me as I was walking through. Im not sure why she backed away instead of turning but the bump put me off balance and the weight on my left leg, which caused a stumble, and, again, I came close to going down. She apologized and Im sure she was confused at the painful grimace I wore.

We walked up to Star Tours, which listed a 20-minute Standby but was a complete walk on. We exited at 5:20 and walked straight into the 5:30 Frozen show. Because we entered late, we were part of a line instructed to walk across the back of the theater to move into rows on the far left, presumably seats left empty by those choosing not to move all the way to the end of the row. Naturally, the three women in front of us chose to ignore the CM and ducked into the center of the theater. We always enjoy this show.

We were getting a little hungry and had hoped to try the new PizzaRizzo (formerly Pizza Planet) but found it closed at 5:30. This is another of my Park Peeves when many (most?) counter service restaurants close at 5:00-5:30 in a park thats open until 7:00.

For the first time ever, we went to Min and Bills Dockside Diner. After a quick glance at the menu board, I ordered a foot-long hot dog for me and the kids nachos for Barb. Her nachos came with two sides so she chose chips and a chocolate chip cookie. I was surprised when the Hot dog ($9) came with no sides but that, and half of Barbs cookie, proved filling enough.

We walked over to Hollywood Boulevard and set up for the fireworks show called Jingle Jam - Jingle BAM! We loved the Symphony in the Stars show we saw here last year. Thats been replaced by a Star Wars themed show that features more projection on the Chinese theater. For the holidays, thats been replaced with the Jingle Jam/BAM.

We moved as far up Hollywood Boulevard as possible but were still too far back to see the projections on the far left and right. We thought the show was nice but relied too much on projection and not enough on fireworks until the very robust finale. The last 30-45 seconds were great.

We walked back to the Boardwalk and the knee was aching. We cut in by the quiet pool and found the pool area was now completely fenced. Hmmm. I wonder if they now lock it to prevent use outside of the operating hours. We later learned the main pool area was similarly fenced.

In our room, we found an autographed photo of Mickey and Minnie wishing us a happy anniversary. Barb, being the Florence Nightingale type, went down to the Screen Door to purchase some Ben Gay for me. I iced the knee for a while, and then applied the BenGay. We mixed a cocktail and sat on our patio to watch Illuminations. We could hear everything but only saw the higher fireworks. The Christmas tag has been applied to the end and the final sequence of that is awesome (and deafening). We were in bed and asleep shortly after the fireworks. It had been a long (22-hour) day.

Miles Walked Today: 6.9. Im using the iPhone app for this and it counts steps. Im going to guess this distance is a bit higher than reality because my stride today was atypical shorter than normal due to the knee issues. At any rate, the app recorded 17,038 steps.

Things I Think I Think I think I did something stupid this morning and Im paying the price. Of all the days to injure a knee, I chose this one? I think I like the renovations at the Boardwalk Villas and I know I love staying here. Yes, I am a Crescent Lake Snob. I think I like the new Soarin and cant wait to ride again. I think I dont like the new scaled down menu at the ESPN Club. I think Disneys Hollywood Studios should keep counter service open until at least 6:30 when they close at 7:00. I think the knee is going to feel better tomorrow (positive thinking).

Day 2 - Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - Give me the cheapest stuff youve got.

Im awake at 12:15 (dj vu?) but fall back to sleep until 5:00. Theres a disturbing clicking sound coming from the refrigerator. It sounds like an icemaker but there is none. During the night, it sounded like someone was trying to open our door.

I was up first so I made the coffee and updated my notes. Sometimes I wake up grumpy, but other times I just let her sleep. Today was one of those days. Hahahaha.

We brought along a package of Mini-Moo coffee creamers. Have you ever noticed that cardboard containers where you push your thumb into a perforated area to open never work? I always wind up with a jaggedly ripped container.

Heres another quick observation: the new purple Magic Band is softer and more flexible than its predecessors. I just thought youd want to know.

Today promises to be another 85-degree day but a theres a cold front coming through tomorrow, which will lower the high temperature into the 70s. Im not complaining.

We notice the towel hook on the bathroom door is broken. It was falling off so I tried to tighten the screws underneath it using a plastic knife (very MacGyver of me) but the screw holes were stripped and the screws just kept turning. We thought wed hang the used towels on the bathtub/shower clothesline but that too was broken the string itself was missing. We also noticed a broken hinge on the dresser door. I thought most hotel rooms were inspected at least periodically if not at each change of guests. Apparently, I was wrong. Barb called Maintenance before we left the room.

We decide to take the boat to Disneys Hollywood Studios - the knee seems better but not great. We step out to the boardwalk and find a waiting boat (this would be a theme with all transportation for this trip) so we're there by 8:20. They open the turnstiles er, pedestals at 8:30 and rope drop is at 8:45. I visit First Aid here and explain the situation. I tell them about the Ace bandage and the CM gives me a card for a nearby pharmacy that delivers to Disney resorts. Cool. They have a Website so Ill check later to see if they offer any sleeves for the knee.

We walk back to Toy Story Midway Mania (TSMM) to ride standby. Just as we reach the entry, they open a few more switchbacks so we need to walk down past the entry and back again. The surface here is wet and puddled, presumably from an early morning power wash, and we watch the young woman in front of us slip and fall on the wet pavement. She seems OK but I take things very gingerly now, especially the turns.

The queue (remember a Queue is only a Q followed by four silent letters each waiting their turn) is mostly a walk through and the only problem I have is the stairs. Its still painful pushing off the left leg. I think I scored around 150,000, which is enough to beat Barb but not very good. I resign myself to never getting a high score on this attraction my accuracy is just too poor.

We use our 9:15 FastPass for ToT and it's mostly a walk on. The nice woman in front of us takes a video on her phone for the entire ride, including turning on the light for the first hallway/starfield scene. I never wished harder for someone to drop her phone.

Next up was Star Tours. This is another example of the hills at Disney World that you never notice. You enter the Star Tours queue with a slightly uphill ramp, which turns 180 degrees to a more significant downhill ramp. The downhill is still causing pain so I have to slow considerably. Im likely frustrating those behind me but tough cookies!

We catch the same sequence of random scenes as yesterday but in the last segment, instead of the ship coming through our windshield, the robot tosses a can of yellow paint at us. Ive never seen this variation before. Is it new?

In our effort to cross the park as many times as possible and add to the daily mileage, we next head to Starring Rolls for breakfast - coffee and a banana nut muffin (me) and a cinnamon roll (Barb). I cant help thinking breakfast here should really be called dessert. The place was crowded and seating limited so, just as we were finishing, we offered our table to a young couple standing nearby.

We decided to walk back to the Boardwalk and the knee is doing better. I do recognize a need to be extra careful sudden movements cause sharp pain. I was following Barb in the park when she stopped to avoid ruining a photo. My quick stop was painful enough to almost bring a tear to my eyes.

Back at the room, I iced the knee again while Barb graciously offered to walk to the Speedway (formerly Hess) for beer, a bag of pretzels, and milk. When she returned, we loaded up our backpack cooler, changed to swimsuits and headed to the quiet pool.

Heres another Park Peeve (there are lots of them): people lying on the stairs in a pool. I really needed to hold the railing while negotiating the stairs and, naturally, there are two women lying there on either side of the railing. Is it that taxing to stand in a swimming pool? My first thought was to excuse myself and splash through them but one decided she had enough and exited. I took a quick dip then rinsed in the outdoor shower and headed for the spa. Thankfully, 6-8 toddlers didnt occupy it. There was one adult couple there who immediately asked, So where ya from?

It turned out they once lived in Camillus (outside Syracuse) and now reside in Delaware. They were also DVC members who seemed to use their points in a similar fashion to us splitting solo trips with those that include children and grandchildren.

We hung by the pool for an hour or so (Im not sure if the pool or spa helped my knee but it didnt hurt) then showered and caught a bus to the Magic Kingdom we waited all of three minutes for the bus.

As we drove by the Speedway, I noticed that the price of regular unleaded, that was $1.91 yesterday, is now $2.09. Wow. $0.18 in one day!

At the Magic Kingdom. We took the monorail (another ramp but at least it was uphill) to the Grand Floridian and spent time there viewing the very impressive Christmas tree (had a CM take our photo) and gingerbread house. To get down to the lower level, I wanted to avoid the stairs so we took the birdcage elevator. As we boarded, there was a large family group with two strollers turning the corner. They were too far away to hold the elevator so we boarded and hit the button for the first floor. We stood there and nothing happened for a full minute. The doors then opened and that large family joined us. We joked about needing more weight to get the elevator car moving but I couldnt figure out why that happened.

We left the Grand Floridian and caught the monorail and found it was raining hard. Todays forecast had only a 10% chance of showers but I guess we were in the 10% of the area that caught it.

We stayed dry and exited at the Polynesian. Their Christmas decorations are always subdued and the tree is nice, but very small in comparison to other resorts.

We thought about a drink before dinner and tried the new Trader Sams Grotto. Ive heard great things about this place and I know it can be very busy and hard to get in. They were giving out pagers for seating. I peeked inside and found it very dark and small overall a little disappointing. Theres an outdoor patio type area that might have been more to our liking but, due to the rain, it was wet and empty.

We decided instead to head upstairs to the Tambu Lounge for a Rye Manhattan (me) and an Agave Margarita (Barb). We also enjoyed an order of Pork sliders that were very good.

Im an old codger. While we were enjoying our drinks, an older, more codgerly codger walked up to the bar and ordered a vodka with Sprite. The bartender asked, Any preference on the vodka? In what I thought was a gruff, rude voice, the reply was, Give me the cheapest stuff youve got. He sips through about a third of his drink when he notices Barbs margarita glass. He then complains to the bartender that his glass is smaller and why didnt he get the same glass as Barbs. The bartender tells him both glasses have the same capacity and offers him more Sprite to fill the glass. He begrudgingly accepts.

When we finished our drinks, we checked into Kona and were seated quickly. Spencer was our server and did a fine job. We shared an appetizer of pot stickers. For entrees, I had the pork tenderloin with coconut polenta while Barb enjoyed the Pan-Asian noodles and chicken. We both drank water. I really enjoyed the tenderloin and loved the coconut polenta but Im a big fan of coconut. Im sure its not for everyone. Barb enjoyed her meal but, true to form, she took half it home in a box. Shes just a very light eater at least most of the time.

We intended to head to the Magic Kingdom tonight but its Extra Magic Hours and it appears to be very crowded so we change gears and board a (again) waiting bus back to the Boardwalk. While on route, I successfully score a Soarin FastPass for 7:35-8:35. Gotta love the My Disney Experience app - when it works.

We quickly freshen up in the room then walk to Epcot. We walk by the America Garden Theater where the 6:45 Candlelight Processional (Neil Patrick Harris is narrating) is starting and the line for the 8:00 show is already huge. Huge in that it starts at the pavilion, goes through Morocco, then a u-turn back half-way to America again. Im guessing 400-500 people and this is the line for those that have the CP Dining Package, which guarantees a seat in the theater. I dont get it. Is it just so they can sit up front to get a close up of NPHs nostrils?

We take some photos by Epcots Christmas tree (which Barb finds very impressive) then head to Soarin.

We head through the queue and wind up waiting in the Concourse with the family from hell. It was an extended family with several adults, a teen, several children and a matriarch. Grandma and the teen had ridden before and were sort of know-it-alls. As best I can recall the constant banter that lasted through the queue and pre-show:

You'll love it.
    I won't.
    It's like a hang glider.
    I hate hang gliders.
    It's more like Virtual Reality.
    I heard Virtual Reality makes you sick.
    Your grandfather couldnt ride it more than once in a row.
    I dont want to ride it once.
    Youll love it.
    No, I wont.

Now Im loving the new film and realize the first scene of Kilimanjaro is not for those with a fear of heights. This is the first time I notice a very pronounced curvature in several scenes. The screen is certainly curved (IMAX style) but some of the vertical objects, particularly the Eiffel Tower, are significantly curved. I dont recall this from the previous film but some research (thanks, Rodney) shows that it was there. During multiple rides, I will say that the curvature is more pronounced when viewed from far left or right but, once youve seen it, still noticeable from dead center.

We head back to the Boardwalk and catch a show from Coney Island Chris. Hes updated his act. Theres no longer a bed of nails (a very funny bit) but he does juggle three very large balls with the help of a little girl from the audience.

Back at the room we notice Maintenance has been there but only fixed the door hook. The dresser hinge is still broken and theres no shower clothesline but, I figure those might require new parts that take a bit more time. We later discover that the refrigerator no longer makes a clicking sound now its a very high-pitched whistle. And the door hook, while attached, is very loose and, in my opinion, only a temporary fix.

Were both very tired - itll take more than a day to recover from yesterdays lack of sleep. My knee is still a problem, and Im still limping, but less so. Its better, maybe 70-80% of normal.

Miles Walked Today: 8.5. Same caveats as yesterday.

Things I Think I Think I think some guests are mistreating their rooms. I think people should not lie down on a swimming pools stairs, blocking the entry. I think the hot tub felt great even though it may not have helped me knee. I think the decision to keep walking was a good one, in hindsight. Its helping. I think I like the new Soarin.

Day 3 Thursday, December 1, 2016 Disney, Drones and Doogie.

I wake up to a high-pitched whistling sound at 5:00. Damned refrigerator. I handle the usual chores of making coffee, updating notes and reading our local (Albany Times Union) newspaper on-line. Barb stirs at around 6:00.

Epcot has early EMH today so we plan to head there and maybe Disney Springs later in the day.

We walk to Epcot and I visit the Guest Relations booth (on the left the one on the right doesnt sell them) to purchase the TiW card. We then enter the park and are then held at the hill by the bridge to France until 8:02. 8:02?!?!!! If the front of the park opened at 8:00, those people have an enormous head start on us. Thats just unfair. Plus, my OCD kicked in at 8:00 wondering why they werent dropping the rope.

Our plan is to ride Test Track via the Standby queue before using our FastPass on Soarin. We enter the Test Track queue which looks pretty full (probably all the front-of-the-park 8:00 people!), get through designing our car, and then endure a 15 minute mechanical delay. A few people left in the middle of the delay but the majority waited it out.

After riding, we walked to the Land and, on the way, noticed 25 people outside the Starbucks (formerly the Fountain View). Gee, its only 8:58 and Starbucks already has a 20-minute queue.

We first ride Soarin standby and its almost a walk on. When we exit, we ride again using our 9:40 FastPass. On this ride were followed by a mom with two small children a girl of about 7 (who considers Soarin her favorite ride) and a slightly younger boy who did NOT want to ride. He was wailing pretty good and coming up with every reason in the world that he couldnt go on this ride. We lost them in the boarding area but while waiting for takeoff, we could hear some wailing behind us so I assume that was him about to ride. I wonder if he enjoyed it.

It was beginning to get crowded, that EMH mid-morning crowded, so we left Epcot. Our plan was to head to the Magic Kingdom, I asked a CM at the exit if there was a bus to Magic Kingdom (that would save fighting the crowds at the TTC and allow me to avoid all the monorail ramps the knee was better but still not great). He says Yes. Im surprised and I push further and ask, Does it go to the Magic Kingdom, or just the TTC? He replies that it goes to the TTC but sometimes goes to Magic Kingdom. Well, sometimes is not good enough so we choose the monorail.

While on the monorail, I use My Disney Experience to cancel our only other Epcot FastPass (for Mission: Space) and make a FastPass for Buzz Lightyear at 12:10.

We enter the Magic Kingdom without any problems and head immediately to Fantasyland and take in Mickey's Philharmagic. When that ended, we wandered down to Liberty Square and I saw the Haunted Mansion was down. I asked a CM if it might be coming back online soon but she indicated it wouldnt be running until tomorrow. Hmmm. Sounds like a serious issue. Barb said, I bet you cant tell us why and the CM just laughed.

It was nearing lunchtime so we wandered across the street to the Columbia Harbour House where I had the usual Anchors Aweigh (tuna sandwich) and Barb had the Fish and Chicken platter. As Ive mentioned, Ive been trying to drop some weight and have been really watching the carbs but here, I have my first fries in a month. I wish I could say they were worth the carbs but that wasnt the case.

After lunch we took a spin on the Wedway / PeopleMover before heading to Buzz where we used our FastPass. I did get 293,000 points here, which is not a Personal Best (I once maxed it at 999,999), but its better than I usually do. I managed to score some big numbers hitting the target on Zurgs shoulder.

At this point, we decided to leave the Magic Kingdom and head back to the Boardwalk. On the way out, I remembered to stop at the Confectionary for fudge (still 33% off if you buy six pieces). As a side note, some of the fudge actually made it home with me.

Back to the Boardwalk, via a waiting bus, and to the room for a quick rest. Barb went out to the Boardwalk Bakery for a coffee, found three CMs working and no customers there, got her coffee and was told Thats on us. Something free at Disney?

I made a few changes to tomorrow's Animal Kingdom FastPasses moving all of them to late afternoon to be closer to our planned 5:50-6:50 Kilimanjaro Safari. Ive heard good things about the nighttime safari and were looking forward to it.

We headed out again, around 4:30, making the short walk across the driveway to the bus stop. I should mention a change here. All the buses are sporting cute sayings on the display, relative to the destination. One would alternate between Pop Century and (something) groovy, Disneys Hollywood Studios asks Ready for your closeup? and so on. I never got a chance to see what the Boardwalk bus said. It always had the park destination sign up when I boarded.

We boarded a bus, after a 5-minute wait, for Disney Springs. I was at Disney Springs less than one year ago but much of it was now unrecognizable to me. The new bus stops are awesome and giant leaps better than the old ones. The old stops crammed 4 or 5 covered waiting areas into a tight space where buses had to make ridiculous U-turns to get around. The new bus stops total 26 it appears that 1-10 are for drop-off and 10-26 are for pick-up. Theyre much nicer with a much better organization.

While the old marketplace is the same, the new areas are very disorienting. I found myself continually looking for what used to be here? or where are we in relation to? I imagine it will take a few visits before Im comfortable.

The shopping here, at Town Square, is mostly trendy or upscale stores and Im more of an Outlet kind of guy. I did notice one watch store where the only two advertisements in the display were Tag Heuer and Rolex so I figured I wouldnt find my $125 Mickey watch there.

The shocker to me was viewing Fultons Crab House. It looked completely redone and, for some reason, looks huge. Did they add a deck or two? Ive since learned it will be opening in January as Paddlefish. Im sorry to see it go. Im also surprised by the January opening it didnt look near done to me.

Now I had hinted to Barb that we might use this visit to Disney Springs as the night for the Russo Rule replacing dinner with ice cream - specifically, a sundae from Ghirardelli. Walking around, we ran into D-Luxe burger. As you know, Im a huge fan of the burger at Big River but I saw a post by Denise Preskitt (MouseSteps) that the burger here was as big as my face. That got my attention. Lisa Cubbon has also stated its her new favorite. Given that, I thought we might try it but Barb had her hopes set on ice cream so D-Luxe Burger will have to wait. I didn't want to see her head spin and spew pea soup if I bailed on ice cream so we were off to Ghirardelli.

First, we stopped in World of Disney just for some looking around. Has the layout in here changed? We could not find the kitchen stuff and I always felt I had a good handle on what was where in that store.

Ive mentioned previously that I thought Ghirardelli was becoming overrated. A sundae is now $12 and, honestly, its no better than the $7 one I can get at the Dolphin Fountain. But were here so we order two hot fudge sundaes: vanilla ice cream for Barb and chocolate for me. I do get the AP discount here but its only 10% (it would be 20% at the Fountain).

Our sundaes are delivered and, as if sealing its fate, we both get vanilla ice cream. When I notice, the server is already gone and I really dont want to take it back and have them make a new one so I suck it up. You know, people use the term plain vanilla for a reason. I know there are fans of vanilla ice cream out there but Im not one of them. Next time the Fountain.

We walk around some more, essentially taking laps around the old and new areas within Disney Springs. Eventually, we take a seat on a concrete wall behind Starbucks. It offers a reasonable view of the lake and were looking forward to seeing the new drone show called Starbright Holidays (a Disney and Intel collaboration). After a few minutes, I notice some large birds begin nesting in the trees above us and then it happens. The woman on my right was shat upon (which sounds a lot nicer than the reality). She took a direct hit a large splotch of bird poop hit the side of her head (sticking nicely in her hair), her face and eyeglasses, and her leg. Her husband produced a few napkins but, in my opinion, she would need a trip to a restroom for some wet paper towels. I felt bad for her and, after quickly muttering our condolences, we bolted for the safety of the railing by the lake (and away from the trees).

Soon, at 6:55, this area became mobbed. A woman comes up behind me and asks, Is there a show? Ladies and gentlemen, it took every bit of willpower I had to not offer a smart-*** answer. I just said, Yes.

It was only a 5-minute show but it was very impressive. For some reason, I was expecting the show to start and begin with 300 drones flying into the air. When the music (Christmas themed) started, all the drones are already in place, high above the lake - their lights come on simultaneously and its a very impressive sight. They swirl and dance and form a rotating Christmas tree, an angel, etc. Short but very good and it really whets the appetite for what is likely coming in the future. I can see drones integrated into the fireworks shows across the parks.

When the show ends, its a mob scene leaving but most people must have driven. The bus stops are neat, orderly and have only a light crowd. We do have to endure a 10-minute wait (the horror!) for a Boardwalk bus while I see two SSR buses pull in. When we stayed at SSR, I dont think I saw two buses all week.

Back at the Boardwalk, we visit the room, freshen up and I grab a fleece (although it's not really needed and I wind up just carrying it around all night). We walked to Epcot and the America pavilion.

The crowd is just beginning to move into the theater for the last night of the Candlelight Processional with Neil Patrick Harris so we figure, What the heck? and join in. A CM then asks for our dinner package credentials. Oops. He lets us know that Standby queue is on the other side.

We walk down and join a long line at the end with no hope that well ever get in. The CM says to think positive. We have a conversation with the woman in front of us that tells us she used to always purchase the Candlelight Dinner Package but now its two dining credits and not worth it for them. She also said she heard everyone gets in. Im not buying it.

The show is underway and our line is moving but slowly, and in spurts. Soon we see Doogie (NPH will always be Doogie Howser to me) take the podium and the last of us are ushered in, across the back, and shown seats on the wall at the left side of the theater. Not a great view but not too bad and we can hear it perfectly. NPH does a nice job using more humor than others Ive seen. The Candlelight Processional is really a beautiful show with a great orchestra and choir.

When it ended, Im a little hungry but unsure what Id like. Barb suggests America for a burger but I passed on D-Luxe and I'm waiting on Big River so thats only a poor substitution. I can stand the hunger and Im certainly in no danger of wasting away so we head out in search of a spot to watch Illuminations.

My secret spot is all private party and the bridge to France is packed so we take up a spot by the railing in the UK. There are a few trees obstructing the view but its OK. In the minutes before Illuminations begins, it also becomes quite crowded. The Christmas tag at the end is amazing. The last thirty seconds is nothing but explosions that shake your core.

Back to the room for a look at the Cowboys / Vikings game. I inhale a half-piece of fudge to quash the hunger and I'm asleep by 10:45.

Things I Think I Think I think the knee is getting better. Barb said my limp is barely noticeable. I think Disney did a great job with Disney Springs but Im really not sure if I like the new version or would rather have stuck with the old Pleasure Island with the Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club. I think Disney is barely scratching the surface with the use of drones. I expect much more to come. I think the Candlelight Processional is worth seeing and I think if you dont need to sit up close, theres no need to wait more than 10-15 minutes in line. I think Doogie did a great job.

Day 4 Friday, December 2, 2016 A disappointing safari, a Bluezoo Manhattan and an obnoxious kid.

I'm up at 5:30 making coffee. The walking, ice, Aleve and BenGay is doing the trick. The knee is still hurting but much better each day. I can still feel it with a sudden move or walking downhill but at least now, I can step off a curb without a grimace - or at least the grimace has turned to a wince.

Were out walking to Disneys Hollywood Studios at 8:00. Were in the park at 8:30 and the rope drop occurs at 8:45. We start with the long walk back to TSMM and ride Standby. Its really just a walk through the queue.

We consider heading to Tower of Terror next but opt instead for the Star Wars Launch Bay. Theres a new film being shown. A CM told us it was new as of two days ago and it made her cry. Seriously. We thought it was just ok another behind the scenes look at the making of the film.

Were walking down Sunset Boulevard to ride Tower of Terror. In front of us, we see a mom, dad and two boys ages 6 and 4. Ill tell you later how I know their ages. Theyre walking down the sidewalk and mom has her hand on dads butt, cupping his left cheek. I was calling Barbs attention to that when the mom slid her hand up under dads t-shirt and back down inside his shorts. Yep, her hand, wrist and part of her arm were down there. I dont think Ive ever seen that before in public.

We enter the Standby queue for Tower of Terror, which is listed at 20-minutes. The queue seems longer to me so I check the app and watch it move from 20 to 35, then to 40-minutes. When we exited, the sign outside was at 50-minutes.

Now who do you think is in line behind us? Yep, the mom with her hand down dads pants although she had retrieved it at this point. Barb struck up a conversation with her (thats where we found at the boys were 6 and 4) and I made sure not to shake her hand.

We always enjoy this ride and this was no exception. I really like that the drops are so random and each ride is different.

The park was getting very crowded and people were streaming in so we figured it was time for an early lunch. We caught the Friendship boat back to the Boardwalk. We could have walked but we were killing some time.

We walked up to Big River Grill and were seated inside in short fashion. I normally enjoy sitting outside here, especially when the weather is nice (which it was) but they had some refurbishment work going on right next door. Several workers were using cranes and scaffolding to power wash, sand and paint the Boardwalk siding. The power washing and electric sanders were very noisy so inside we went.

For some reason, I drank water here and didnt order a beer. We each had the burger (naturally) mine with Swiss cheese and Barb opted for the bacon/hickory variation. The woman hasnt finished a meal in 10 years so Im anticipating getting a quarter to a half of her half-pound burger. Not today she ate the whole damned thing. Women! Just when you think you can count on them I still list the burger here as the best on property (maybe anywhere) but, as I mentioned, D-Luxe Burger at Disney Springs is starting to get my attention.

To the room for a freshen-up and to retrieve my camera, then its a walk to the YC/BC for a few photos of their Christmas trees and decorations. As we walked up to the Yacht Club, there were several young girls, and one older woman in a wheelchair, posing for a photo. I offered to take the photo for them so they could all be in it. I used to do this a lot but it seems many groups are just opting for selfies now.

Both lobbies were very nice but the train set at the Beach Club was still being constructed. We also shopped for a bit in both places. Those of you that have met Barb know she has a small collection of Disney fleeces and sweatshirts all pink. At least one of them has Tink on it. She came very close here to buying a pink Minnie hoodie but changed her mind at the last minute. Im not sure why but she reserved the right to change her mind later. She did purchase a tin of mints.

We headed back to the room for a break. Housekeeping was there providing our trash and towel service (for some reason I wrote trash and travel in my notes).

We headed out to Animal Kingdom at 2:45. We walked to the bus stop where the monitor informed us wed have a 6-minute wait for the Animal Kingdom bus. Did no one tell them I was coming? A Disney Springs bus pulled up and a family of six got off. The grandmother(?) starts reading the sign there and seems upset. I asked if I could help and she asks how to get a bus to Epcot. A CM at Disney Springs told them the best way to get to Epcot was to bus to the Boardwalk and transfer. She was upset to hear that there wasnt a bus but I explained that its a short walk (they didnt want to walk) or boat ride. I gave them instructions on where to catch the boat but they still seemed upset. Its not the first time a CM has given bad directions remember yesterday when I was told the bus from Epcot might go to the Magic Kingdom?

We make it to Animal Kingdom and start with a visit to Its Tough to Be a Bug. I still say the waiting room here is very claustrophobic. Im not sure why but this may have been the best show here ever. We sat dead center and a little closer than usual (maybe third row?). The film was crisp and clear and all the effects worked flawlessly. It was very enjoyable and I always love it when Im seated next to someone viewing it for the first time.

After the film, we walked back to Harambe to use our FastPass for the Festival of the Lion King always a fun experience.

We now had FastPasses for Expedition Everest. As you might remember, this is not a favorite of mine. I ride it infrequently, mostly because I have trouble with the backwards ride in the dark. It just gets to me each time I ride. For Barb, I was going to put on my big boy pants and ride but bailed as we entered the queue. She says she really doesnt mind riding alone so I waited for her in the gift shop at the exit.

We had time to kill before our 5:50 FastPass for Kilimanjaro Safari. I wanted to wait until the sun had set so wed get a true nighttime safari. We first tried both of the walking trails but they were closed for the day. Without much else to do, we sat in the Harambe Marketplace and caught up with email. At about 5:40, we stepped out to listen to a group playing on a small stage and see dancers (some cast, some guests).

At 5:45, we entered the Safari FastPass queue. I know others have loved this but our safari was very disappointing. We were seated on the right side of the truck and 90% of the animal sightings were on the left. Most of the animals were in darkness and we just couldnt find them. Our driver was only so-so she didnt seem to have a good handle on the animal names and her delivery was lacking. Shed tell us that Way back to the left, near the stone wall, you can see a spotted hyena pacing. Id look but could barely even find the stone wall.

There were no elephants, rhinos or zebra out but we did see one hippo emerge from the water briefly. The one highlight was the lions. The female was sprawled across a rock sleeping. Under a spotlight, the male walked to her, began licking her back/side (taste like chicken?), then lay down partially on top of her. Of course, this all happened off to our left but I did lean forward with my camera and, just as the male came forward and I began pressing the shutter button, the truck lurched forward. I got a very blurry photo of the lions.

I realize that Ive had bad, good and great safaris during daylight hours so Ill chalk this one up to just bad timing. Well have to try it again.

The Animal Kingdom looks very different at night. I dont know that Id say its better or worse just different. It was a cooler temperature tonight a bit nippy and a light jacket was in order. We caught a bit of the projection show on the Tree of Life as we exited the park.

We caught a waiting (yes, again) bus to the Dolphin and visited Todd Englishs Bluezoo. Instead of the dining room this time, we opted for a table in the lounge area. We sat nearby a 3-piece jazz combo that was very good but, as we learned later, a bit too loud to allow any real conversation.

I ordered their special barrel-aged Manhattan while Barb had a Tangueray and tonic. We decided to just a share a couple of appetizers so we ordered the calamari and a flatbread. Both were very good, as were the drinks. I was able to use the TiW card for 20% off everything but had a couple of surprises. Both drinks listed at $13. I kind of expected that for the Manhattan which is sort of a specialty but thought a Tangueray should be more in the $8-$10 range. I also completely forgot that I couldnt pay the tab using my Magic Band here. Doh! I had made a mental note, then forgotten, to put a credit card into my Disney wallet (it only holds my AP, TiW card, DVC card and ID). I did have enough cash on me to cover the bill but Barb had a credit card in her Disney wallet so she paid. Ah, its nice to be treated every once in a while.

Back at the boardwalk, we spent 15-minutes watching a magician /psychic doing his act. He had chosen a helper from the audience (as most of them do) and, like most, he had chosen a child. Unfortunately, the 9-year old boy he picked was one of the most obnoxious kids Ive come across. He was being rude (snotty is a more appropriate word) to the magician, not following his directions, etc. I could see on the magicians face that he regretted this choice.

At the end, and after getting rid of his helper, he focused on adults in the audience. He correctly guessed a persons birthdate and SSN which was pretty impressive although I have a theory on the SSN.

Things I Think I Think I think the Tower of Terror is still a favorite of mine and (I think) Im happy were not getting the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay that DCA is getting. I think the nighttime safari was a bust but Id like to try again. I think the barrel-aged Manhattan is a good thing. I think that magician regretted his choice of helper. I think I know how he did the SSN trick but I will have to be the one selected to prove it.

Day 5 Saturday, December 3, 2016 Skippers, Ice Cream and Rubiks Cube.

Up at 6:30, coffee, yada, yada

Today we waited 5-minutes for a bus to Magic Kingdom. It was EMH morning and there was a good crowd already there by 9:00 (yes, we were running a tad late). While walking up Main Street, I found another large family group trying for a photo so I offered and they accepted. I needed Barbs help, as they wanted one photo with their camera and one with a smart phone.

We used our FastPass for a ride on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (7DMT). The FastPass had us boarding after less than 5-minutes, which is good because this is such a short ride.

We wandered down to the Journey of the Little Mermaid. We went through the Standby queue where the CM wished us a Happy Anniversary. I was taken aback for a moment but he explained it popped up on his screen so I assume its part of our data profile. The wait was posted at 15-minutes but it was a complete walk on. Im finding this to be the case more and more. Does Disney want to discourage people from getting into queues?

We next saw Mickeys Philharmagic after a 3-minute wait and then on to (shudder) its a small world. Barb insists we ride this every trip and I go along with that but I swear, each year the ride seems longer.

Haunted Mansion was next. The wait was listed at 30-minutes but we were inside in 15. From here we walked back to Big Thunder to use our 10:45 FastPass.

After riding Big Thunder, I canceled our FastPass for Buzz Lightyear (that was our third of three) so I could try for a Soarin FastPass for later tonight. It was a mild surprise when I landed one for 7:40.

We had an ADR for the new Skippers Canteen at 12:15. It was only 11:25 but we were hungry and ready so we stopped in. I expected to be told to come back but they indicated it would be no problem. We were seated quickly and enjoyed a great lunch with Skipper/server, Paul. The shtick here is very much like the Jungle Cruise itself with lots of corny humor and one-liners; e.g. Hows everything safari?

The menu was a bit pricier than I expected but the food was very good. We shared the S.E.A. Shu Mai appetizer. Barb had the "A Lot at Steak" Salad and coffee (half of it came home with us) and I had the Curried Vegetable Crew Stew and an iced tea. I had just been complaining about the shortage of fruit and vegetables in our WDW diet so this gave me my vegetable fix. It was spicy and very good.

After lunch, we exited the Magic Kingdom and talked about possibly coming back for tonights castle lighting. When we reached the bus stops, there was a waiting bus to the Yacht Club so we boarded. We Crescent Lake Snobs have lots of options.

Back at the ranch, Barb did some laundry. She readily admits to hating bringing home a suitcase of dirty clothes.

We head out at 5:30. When we exit the building, I spot a Magic Kingdom bus already at the stop. I figure theres no way well make it and resign myself to a 10-20 minute wait for the next one. We find that theyre loading a wheelchair and that extra time allows us to walk there and board.

We reach the Magic Kingdom right around 6:00. The park is very crowded and, something I havent mentioned yet weve seen tons of dead stoppers (those folks that youre walking behind and then stop dead for no apparent reason) and, especially, center talkers (4-8 people that decide to have a conclave in the center of the walkway) this trip. We had to make our way around many of them here.

Barb informs me she needs to visit the restroom and sets some kind of speed record getting there. I was a bit surprised but find out later that she was nauseous which is why she hurried. She says shes fighting a bit of indigestion but is fine. Its something to keep an eye on.

We make our way to the Partners statue and catch the end of the Dance show that I just dont get. In a few minutes we watch the Frozen Wish where Anna, Kristoff, Olaf and, of course, Elsa, put on a brief performance that ends with Elsa shooting ice all over the castle. I make light of it but the projections and actual castle lighting are very impressive.

Disney has removed the benches from the hub so the last minute adults-standing-on-benches is no longer an issue. Obstructions are mostly people holding smartphones and tablets up over the heads to record the show and parents putting children on their shoulders. Neither occurs until show time so youre lulled into thinking youll have a good view until you dont. I maintain, in each case, if you simply held the device at eye level, or held your child on your hip so his or her eyes are at your eye level, everyone would be able to see the show fine.

When the show ended at 6:45 we meandered slowly through Main St. and out of the park. This was our last visit this trip to the Magic Kingdom and I had neglected to see the new show in Liberty Square featuring the Muppets (Great Moments in History). I had made a mental (uh, oh) note and it completely slipped my mind. I swear that if my memory gets any worse, Ill be planning my own surprise parties. At any rate, well be back in January so Ill have to catch it then.

The monorail platforms look mobbed and lots of folks seem to be heading that way so we opt for a bus. A Boardwalk bus shows in 5-minutes. We walk to Epcot, and make it to Soarin at 7:41 great timing for our 7:40 FastPass. Were seated in the center, second row and see that the distortion is less here but still noticeable.

After Soarin, we exit Epcot and head back to the boardwalk. Were both still a bit full from lunch but ice cream. Ive wanted to try the new Ample Hills Creamery, so in we go. A small cup is $5.99 and we get a vanilla bean for Barb and a chocolate milk and cookies for me. Theyre both very good.

We eat our ice cream while watching another magician perform. Hes very good with card tricks but the highlight was his finale. He had someone come up and randomize a Rubiks cube just mix it up entirely. He examined the cube visually for about 60-seconds then solved it - blindfolded. Amazing.

Things I Think I Think I think Disney often overstates the Standby wait times. I think the Skippers Canteen is fun and very good well be back. I think the castle lighting is a must see but I wish more people would be cognizant of the fact theyre impeding the view of their neighbors. I think solving a Rubiks cube in under a minute, while blindfolded is absolutely amazing unless its a trick. If it is a trick, I cant figure out how it was done.

Day 6 Sunday, December 4, 2016 Everything in moderation. Except bacon and ice cream.

Barb sleeps in a bit today. Shes still a little bothered by stomach issues / indigestion. Shes up at 7:30 but we're still out the door by 8:45.

We walk to Epcot and find that guests have already been let in (before 9:00). I should mention that my knee, for all practical purposes, is back to normal. Very little limp and my walking speed is back to where it was. Theres still a little something there that I can feel when stepping on/off a curb, bus step, etc.

We head to Soarin and ride standby with a 10-minute wait - which is really just a walk through the queue. We nail seats in the top row center section and distortion, again, is minimized.

After the ride, we hit Seasons for breakfast. I have the breakfast platter (eggs, bacon, sausage and home fries) and Barb, in deference to her stomach issues, sticks with fruit. We both have coffee. Barb says the fruit is mostly tasteless which is a bit surprising.

We ride Spaceship Earth with a 9:25 FastPass. The standby is listed at 15-minutes.

We have a FastPass for Mission: Space but standby is only 5-minutes so in we go. Theres a family behind us that obviously speaks no English. There are five of them. The CM assigns us Row 5 and asks them to go 3 into Row 6 and 2 into Row 8. They all go into the wrong row but the CM sees this and adjusts.

We head to the Imagination pavilion and check in to visit the new DVC lounge. Its upstairs (2nd or 3rd level? Theres a lot of stairs.) The view of Spaceship Earth, through the tubular framing of the Imagination pyramid, is magnificent. I take a photo, using my phone, and its so good it almost looks artificial.

The lounge has ample seating, a couple of video game stations, charging stations for phones, free Coca Cola products and a CM wheeling around complimentary snacks. We each had a Diet Coke but nothing else.

When we left, we decided to hit the movie theater where theyre showing three Pixar films. We saw these last January but this seemed different - better. Last year we sat all the way in the back of the theater. This time, we sat closer (5th row center) and the 3D effects seemed much better. The stage and characters on it in Get a Horse seemed real. We also enjoyed La Luna and For the Birds much more than last year.

We walked to Norway but the new Frozen attraction, Frozen Ever After, was down again (it had been down for a while last night). Today was the ONLY day across the week that I was able to score a FastPass for this attraction. When were within our FastPass window, I do get an email stating I can use the FastPass on Frozen or any other attraction until park closing today. We think about another trip on Soarin or Test Track but decide to wait to see if Frozen comes back on line.

We visit the Rose and Crown for a Golden (Barb) and I try the Golden Fox highly recommended by my friend, Wayne. Its a blend of Boddingtons and Bass ale. I like both individually but didnt really care for the mixture. Boddingtons tends to be a little heady and the drink stayed almost foamy at the top. Ill just stick with the Guinness blends here. We do get to use the TiW card here.

Back to the Boardwalk. The temperatures are back into the 80s and its very warm with bright sunlight. We watch a little NFL football, then head back to Epcot at around 5:30. I first stop at the front desk to take care of the majority of our bill with Disney Gift cards purchased from Target.

Frozen Ever After is back up and sports a 160-minute standby. We use the FastPass and are on in 15-minutes. Its a cute ride, reminiscent of the Little Mermaid ride in the Magic Kingdom. But there is no way its worth more than a 10-20 minute wait ever. I was amazed at the number of people in the standby queue. I can understand it if this is your once in a trip and you have young children that have to see it but, there were a number of older couples (my age!) there as well. I just dont get it.

We hit the Lotus Blossom in China for a light dinner sharing two egg rolls and three pot stickers. By sharing, I had 80% - Barbs indigestion was still there and she really wasnt comfortable eating.

We stopped in the American Adventure but the next show is 30 minutes away so we move on and take in the film in France, Impressions de France. Its always enjoyable and I love the soundtrack.

We had planned a brief meet-up tonight with on-line friends Heidi and Jim Commerford and Jan and Henry DeVries. We were planning to meet outside the Rose and Crown but once there, Barb indicated she really wasnt feeling well and wanted to head back. She encouraged me to stay but I felt a little guilty leaving her on her own so I texted our apologies to Heidi and we headed back. Heidi is also due back in early February so we may have a chance to try again for the meet.

Back at the room, we learned we had a new neighbor next door what sounded like an infant. Crying. Loudly.

Things I Think I Think I think Barbs got something going on that seems to have started with the Skippers Canteen, but she stayed pretty bland there. I think I like the DVC lounge and will use it again. It would be particularly nice on days with inclement weather or very hot days. I think sitting closer on the 3D films is better. I think this was our last night.

Day 7 Monday, December 5, 2016 Homeward bound.

Its snowing in Albany. The forecast is calling for 1-3 but our daughter, Michelle, says its only a dusting. At any rate, it shouldnt interfere with our plane landing at around 5:00pm.

Barb says shes feeling better so we decide to try breakfast at Trattoria al Forno. I need to stop first at the front desk. I received our receipt and our Boarding Passes under the door overnight. The receipt indicated a problem with the credit card on file a problem I was sure had to do with the expiration date. We recently received a new card with the electronic chip and the expiration date extended out one year. Im pretty sure that happened AFTER I had given the card with the online check-in.

A trip to the front desk verified that. They took the new information and I indicated I would probably make additional room charges for breakfast. No problem.

We turn to head out the back door and I spotted Laura Gilbreath taking some photos in the lobby. We stopped and chatted for a few minutes. I had seen a few Facebook posts from Laura but I honestly thought she was on the west coast. Lauras a sweetheart and it was nice chatting, even for just a few minutes.

Eggs, bacon, sausage, some sriacha sauce (for me definitely not Barb), and coffee. I tried to pay the bill with my Magic Band and was told there was a problem. We had exceeded the credit limit. Really? Considering we just charged all of $27 on the card at the front desk and they assured me additional charges were no problem? I put the bill on the same credit card that was just refused. Somehow, the front desk must have marked the card/Magic Band badly.

Back to the room, we finished packing then brought the bags to the resort airline check in desk. Im still confused as to why Disney gives you luggage tags that are to be attached to the bags but are immediately removed at check in, and replaced with the airline destination tags.

Back to the room (again) to wait for DME. Our DME pickup is scheduled for 11:00 but we manage to board a bus at 10:30. If were going to be sitting around waiting, we may as well do it at the airport.

Our flight is scheduled for 2:10 4:50 (unlike the 3:30 allocated for the trip down). At the airport, we learn its slightly delayed (due to weather in Houston) and will depart at 2:20 but, Dont worry. Well make up that time in flight. Im beginning to believe they could fly this route in about 15-minutes but choose not to in an effort to justify the fares.

We land on time, grab our luggage and were home before 6:00.

Things I Think I Think I think I didnt mind leaving because I know well be back in about six weeks.

Final Thoughts: Barbs stomach issues persisted until she saw her doctor and received some prescription meds. Shes doing much better now.

We both felt we went a little harder this trip trying to get in more park time and rides than is the norm for us. It certainly was tiring anyway. Well work on slowing down a bit in the future.

The highs included the new Soarin (we both loved it), the Skippers Canteen and the Starbright drone show at Disney Springs. The castle lighting is as beautiful as ever. We also enjoyed the DVC lounge and its amenities.

No real negatives but the Jingle BAM show at Disneys Hollywood Studios and the Frozen ride were, in my humble opinion, just OK. Ill say the same for the nighttime safari at Animal Kingdom but, as I mentioned, that may just have been unlucky timing for us.

Our next trip will be for three weeks in January and February and will include a week with our daughter, Michelle, and her family. Were looking forward to escaping the Northeast winter for a few weeks and watching our two oldest grandsons (ages 7 and 11) enjoy the World. Im really thinking they are the perfect ages to enjoy it.

As always, thanks for reading.
    Steve

2. # ADS

As always, incredible trip report!

Now I realize it was you I was thinking about when I decided to record my steps at the parks. I swear there were a few epic days you had with 50k steps. Now I'll have to go back and check.

Sorry about your knee! I'm in my 30s and I already have terrible knee problems. But I can't help pushing the limits while at the parks!

The Skipper Canteen was very good. I enjoyed the flavors there too. Does WDW have leftover boxes or do you bring Tupperware with you? I know my kids will not be able to finish their meals so I'd like them to be able to pack it up for later.

Really hoping that my kids are not little jerks when we go. I'm trying to parent as best we can but peer-enting is getting worse and worse and they try to emulate their bad mannered friends.

Can't wait to read your three week trip! Have fun!

Loved your report. I'm glad your knee problem didn't ruin your trip. I enjoy reading about resorts that I have never stayed in. I'm looking forward to reading about your future trips.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveCats View Post
    As always, incredible trip report!

Now I realize it was you I was thinking about when I decided to record my steps at the parks. I swear there were a few epic days you had with 50k steps. Now I'll have to go back and check.

Sorry about your knee! I'm in my 30s and I already have terrible knee problems. But I can't help pushing the limits while at the parks!

The Skipper Canteen was very good. I enjoyed the flavors there too. Does WDW have leftover boxes or do you bring Tupperware with you? I know my kids will not be able to finish their meals so I'd like them to be able to pack it up for later.

Really hoping that my kids are not little jerks when we go. I'm trying to parent as best we can but peer-enting is getting worse and worse and they try to emulate their bad mannered friends.

Can't wait to read your three week trip! Have fun!
    Thanks. Yes, the sit down restaurants do offer leftover boxes to take home with you.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suejacken View Post
    Loved your report. I'm glad your knee problem didn't ruin your trip. I enjoy reading about resorts that I have never stayed in. I'm looking forward to reading about your future trips.
    Thanks.
    Steve

Great trip report Steve, I do love me a Russo Report! Do you realise how much influence you have on Mousepadders? So many of us invoke your rule and replace one meal (minimum!) each trip with ice-cream!

Thanks for taking the time to post, sorry about your knee problems but I'm glad they got resolved, and also sorry poor Barb wasn't too well either.

It is so hard to carry on touring the parks commando-style as the years go by, I know we struggle these days as in our heads we are trying to tour the same way we did 10 years ago, but our bodies have a tendency to raise objections every now and again! I find we both get tired more easily now than we did 10 years ago, and the humidity tends to sap us a bit more nowadays. Such a nuisance, because there is always so much to see and do at a Disney park. Ah well, time to slow down a bit and appreciate the scenery a bit more rather than power off to the next ride!

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
    Great trip report Steve, I do love me a Russo Report! Do you realise how much influence you have on Mousepadders? So many of us invoke your rule and replace one meal (minimum!) each trip with ice-cream!

Thanks for taking the time to post, sorry about your knee problems but I'm glad they got resolved, and also sorry poor Barb wasn't too well either.

It is so hard to carry on touring the parks commando-style as the years go by, I know we struggle these days as in our heads we are trying to tour the same way we did 10 years ago, but our bodies have a tendency to raise objections every now and again! I find we both get tired more easily now than we did 10 years ago, and the humidity tends to sap us a bit more nowadays. Such a nuisance, because there is always so much to see and do at a Disney park. Ah well, time to slow down a bit and appreciate the scenery a bit more rather than power off to the next ride!
    Thanks.
    Steve

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

First off, I am at the very end of a 16.5 hour shift. Your trip report helped keep me awake for the last few hours between calls. Also convinced me to make a change in my trip in May and become one of those "Crescent Lake snobs" for a few days instead of staying at Polynesian. I should have noticed the convenience of this location long ago but it took your report to make it catch my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by srusso100 View Post
    We catch the same sequence of random scenes as yesterday but in the last segment, instead of the ship coming through our windshield, the robot tosses a can of yellow paint at us. Ive never seen this variation before. Is it new?
    There are supposed to be several new variants. This particular one is the only one I have seen so far myself.

We intended to head to the Magic Kingdom tonight but its Extra Magic Hours and it appears to be very crowded so we change gears and board a (again) waiting bus back to the Boardwalk. While on route, I successfully score a Soarin FastPass for 7:35-8:35. Gotta love the My Disney Experience app - when it works.
    I discovered how awesome it can be when I tried to eat at the Biergarten and were told they were too busy for a walk-up. Checked the app and found an open reservation slot in 20 minutes, grabbed it and walked right back up to check in and was seated immediately. Unfortunately this tactic didn't work when I tried it again at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater a couple of days later. Nothing available.

Were walking down Sunset Boulevard to ride Tower of Terror. In front of us, we see a mom, dad and two boys ages 6 and 4. Ill tell you later how I know their ages. Theyre walking down the sidewalk and mom has her hand on dads butt, cupping his left cheek. I was calling Barbs attention to that when the mom slid her hand up under dads t-shirt and back down inside his shorts. Yep, her hand, wrist and part of her arm were down there. I dont think Ive ever seen that before in public.

Now who do you think is in line behind us? Yep, the mom with her hand down dads pants although she had retrieved it at this point. Barb struck up a conversation with her (thats where we found at the boys were 6 and 4) and I made sure not to shake her hand.
    I'm a dispatcher for a Sheriff's Dept and in one of our stations there are jail trustees doing various details around the station. One day we noticed one of them grilling some hotdogs outside and while grilling reaching down his own sweats in the same area several times. Needless to say none of us had a hotdog.

I think the Tower of Terror is still a favorite of mine and (I think) Im happy were not getting the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay that DCA is getting.
    Yet
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    First off, I am at the very end of a 16.5 hour shift. Your trip report helped keep me awake for the last few hours between calls. Also convinced me to make a change in my trip in May and become one of those "Crescent Lake snobs" for a few days instead of staying at Polynesian. I should have noticed the convenience of this location long ago but it took your report to make it catch my eye.

Enjoy it. I'm betting you'll be hooked.
    Steve

As always I enjoyed reading about your Disney adventures with Barb! You actually make me laugh out loud at times when reading your Trip Reports! Glad you enjoyed your stay at The Boardwalk as it's one of our favorites too. We'll be in WDW the end of January and will be staying at the BCV which is one of our home resorts. Maybe I'll bump into you both while walking around Crescent Lake!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lindawdw View Post
    As always I enjoyed reading about your Disney adventures with Barb! You actually make me laugh out loud at times when reading your Trip Reports! Glad you enjoyed your stay at The Boardwalk as it's one of our favorites too. We'll be in WDW the end of January and will be staying at the BCV which is one of our home resorts. Maybe I'll bump into you both while walking around Crescent Lake!
    Thanks. We'll be there!
    Steve

Enjoy the trip report as usual, Steve. Thanks for continuing to share them here.

I have to admit that I've been so caught up in personal projects that I don't spend as much time on MousePad as I used to. We're going have 6 non-park days from 12/26 to 12/31. I'll eventually write it up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldvb View Post
    Enjoy the trip report as usual, Steve. Thanks for continuing to share them here.

I have to admit that I've been so caught up in personal projects that I don't spend as much time on MousePad as I used to. We're going have 6 non-park days from 12/26 to 12/31. I'll eventually write it up.
    Thanks, Arnold.

Six non-park days? You have more will power than I. I'll look forward to the report.
    Steve

Thanks for another wonderful report, Steve! I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, so fingers crossed for another time. (I did run in to Sue Holland Rayford earlier in the week, so along with Heidi you would have been a Triumvirate of Trip Report Author Awesomeness! ;-) ) I tried my best to make a meal of ice cream at Ample Hills after my walk back from the Studios one day, but darned if they weren't open yet. So I got a slice of pizza & waited for them to open, then had their Gooey Butter Cake ice cream. It was worth the wait.

Jan

"A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference." --Eeyore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwjan View Post
    Thanks for another wonderful report, Steve! I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, so fingers crossed for another time. (I did run in to Sue Holland Rayford earlier in the week, so along with Heidi you would have been a Triumvirate of Trip Report Author Awesomeness! ;-) ) I tried my best to make a meal of ice cream at Ample Hills after my walk back from the Studios one day, but darned if they weren't open yet. So I got a slice of pizza & waited for them to open, then had their Gooey Butter Cake ice cream. It was worth the wait.

Jan
    I'm sorry too, Jan, but there's always next time.
    Steve

Thanks for another great report Steve. We were in the world during the same time as your report. We are also Crescent Lake Snobs. We stayed at the Beach Club on this trip. I just love that quick walk into Epcot. We did visit D-Luxe burger and I have to say it is my new favorite burger on property. I look forward to hear what you have to say about it on a future trip. Thanks again for another great report.

Just reread the report! Even better the second time.
    What do you mean by Disney Cards purchased at Target? I think you mentioned the reasoning before but I can't recall.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
    Thanks for another great report Steve. We were in the world during the same time as your report. We are also Crescent Lake Snobs. We stayed at the Beach Club on this trip. I just love that quick walk into Epcot. We did visit D-Luxe burger and I have to say it is my new favorite burger on property. I look forward to hear what you have to say about it on a future trip. Thanks again for another great report.
    Thanks, Ron. My plans are to give D-Luxe a try in January... hopefully.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveCats View Post
    Just reread the report! Even better the second time.
    What do you mean by Disney Cards purchased at Target? I think you mentioned the reasoning before but I can't recall.
    If you buy a gift card at Target, and charge it with a Target Red Card, you receive a 5% discount. So, if I buy $500 in cards, it cost me $475. I then use those cards to pay my room bill at WDW. It's like a 5% discount which isn't great but every little bit helps. Couple that with TiW and it's like I'm getting 25% on every meal.
    Steve

Thanks for posting your trip report. I always look forward to reading them. Im glad your knee injury didnt ruin your trip, I was wincing when I was reading about it.
    I too, like SilverCat, try to make one meal ice cream thanks to you! I did not know about the Dolphin Fountain. I will put it on the to-do list. Ghirardelli is always a chaotic madhouse and Id like to try something new.
    Im curious which birds shat on the poor lady in Disney Springs. Maybe it ate the same thing your wife ate at the Skippers Canteen. If the birds were white it was probably a White Ibis. I call them the Florida pigeons.

Michael and Kellis August 2016 Trip with 25 Friends and family
    http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?234828
    Common Walt Disney World Wild Birds http://bochnik.com/disneybirds/disneybirds.htm
    Our other Disney Trips (including our Disneymoon): Kelli and Mike's Adventures http://www.bochnik.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bochnikm View Post
    Thanks for posting your trip report. I always look forward to reading them. I’m glad your knee injury didn’t ruin your trip, I was wincing when I was reading about it.
    I too, like SilverCat, try to make one meal ice cream thanks to you! I did not know about the Dolphin Fountain. I will put it on the to-do list. Ghirardelli is always a chaotic madhouse and I’d like to try something new.
    I’m curious which birds shat on the poor lady in Disney Springs. Maybe it ate the same thing your wife ate at the Skippers Canteen. If the birds were white it was probably a White Ibis. I call them the Florida pigeons.
    Thanks. I'm anything but an expert on birds but it was large and white so it could have been an ibis.
    Steve

We catch the same sequence of random scenes as yesterday but in the last segment, instead of the ship coming through our windshield, the robot tosses a can of yellow paint at us. I’ve never seen this variation before. Is it new?
    If you don't mind reading about them before experiencing them, there was a thread with a list of the different "easter egg" scenes they added when they added the scene for The Force Awakens.

See here. Most details have been hidden using the spoiler feature, so it's safe to glance and then change your mind.

-Dave
    -Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    If you don't mind reading about them before experiencing them, there was a thread with a list of the different "easter egg" scenes they added when they added the scene for The Force Awakens.

See here. Most details have been hidden using the spoiler feature, so it's safe to glance and then change your mind.

-Dave
    Thanks. I think I need to ride it a fe more times.
    Steve

Thanks as always for taking the time to post a trip report, Steve - a very enjoyable read! I overworked my left knee a couple weeks ago, and it's been very tender ever since. I'm hoping it'll hold up OK for a DL trip that starts tomorrow. Otherwise it's gonna be a very slooowww visit!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Thanks as always for taking the time to post a trip report, Steve - a very enjoyable read! I overworked my left knee a couple weeks ago, and it's been very tender ever since. I'm hoping it'll hold up OK for a DL trip that starts tomorrow. Otherwise it's gonna be a very slooowww visit!
    Thanks, Dan. I know the feeling and every knee is different so... good luck and enjoy the trip.
    Steve