Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Jan 6 and 13th crowds?

Jan 6 and 13th crowds?

For several years I've taken a short vaca at the Contemporary during the month of January. It usually coincides with the Mecum Auto Auction in Kissimmee. Well, this year they are starting earlier than ever. The auction runs 1/6-15/2016. So either I'm going right at the end of the holiday week or I'm going during MLK weekend. So what to do?

Does anyone know if the crowds will thin out for Jan. 6th weekend? (perhaps everyone is going home?)

And I already know that there is an up tick in the crowds over MLK. Alot of locals go at that time.

Thanks so much for you help!
    GnP

2. # ADS

January Trip Crowds

Besides New Years, which i'm almost positive is extremely crowded which other days are good to plan a trip in Jan? Besides New Years and MLK day I couldn't find any other significant holidays which may draw large crowds. Ideally I'd like to take the family on MLK day, is this a good time to go?

January 5-8 is WDW Marathon Weekend, so there will be crowds of people running the events. This can impact hotel rates and some crowd levels, but many of the runners turn in early due to the early morning start times, so evening crowds tend to thin out.

MLK weekend will be more crowded than another average January weekend because it is a 3-day holiday weekend for many.

Thanks for the reply Stan4, I didn't realize there was a marathon that weekend. And I appreciate your comments on it affecting the crowds. I believe that you are right, that the crowds at night usually thin out because of early start times.
    I was wondering more, if the New Year's holiday crowd would still be around until Jan 6-7 or perhaps they would all be flying back home.

MMCH, the best time in Jan is usually the last 2 weekends of the month. This is when I normally go. You may run into some Brazilian tour groups, but its no bother since everyone else is gone. I have seen some kind of cheer/dance competition there in Jan. with large groups of girls in the park. But still, taken as a whole, the park is not crowded.
    Oh yes, and especially if there's a big/important football game that weekend.

Generally speaking, the NYE crowds will have cleared out by the following weekend, especially since the New Year's Day holiday will be observed on Monday January 2 for many.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Generally speaking, the NYE crowds will have cleared out by the following weekend, especially since the New Year's Day holiday will be observed on Monday January 2 for many.
    Thank you Steph. I need to call and make my res!