Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: 2017/ 2018 runDisney Race Dates

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2017/ 2018 runDisney Race Dates

runDisney has released a 2017 / 2018 event calendar to help everyone with their race planning for the next couple of years. It's only good thru Tinker 2018 but it's a good start if you're like me and like to plan out your race schedule years in advance.

WDW Marathon Weekend - January 4th - 8th
    Star Wars Light Side Weekend - January 12th - 15th
    Princess Half Marathon Weekend - February 23rd - 26th
    Star Wars Dark Side Weekend - April 20th - 23rd
    Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend - May 11th - 14th
    Virtual Running Shorts - Summer 2017 - registration opens 4/11/2017
    Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend - Aug 31st - Sept 3rd - registration opens 12/13/2016 - Early AP opened 12/8/2017
    Disney Paris Half Marathon Weekend - Sept 21st - 24th - registration is now open
    Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend - Nov 2nd - 5th - registration opens 1/17/2017 - Early AP opened 1/12/2017
    Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend - Nov 9th - 12th - registration opens 1/31/2017 - Early AP opened 1/26/2017

WDW Marathon Weekend - Jan 3rd - 7th - 25th Marathon anniversary / 5th Dopey - registration opens 2/14/2017 - Early AP opened 2/9/2017
    Star Wars Light Side Weekend - Jan 11th - 14th - registration opens 3/14/2017 - Early AP opens 3/9/2017
    Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Feb 22nd - 25th - 10th anniversary - registration opens 5/2/2017 - Early AP opened 4/27/2017
    Star Wars Dark Side Weekend - April 18th - 22nd - registration opens 5/23/2017 - Early AP opened 5/18/2017
    Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend - May 10th - 13th - registration opens 6/27/2017 - Early AP opens 6/22/2017
    Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend - TBD
    Disney Paris Half Marathon Weekend - TBD
    Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend - TBD
    Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend - TBD

Last edited by RunningFool; 10-12-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

to add to this (planning) I was asked to fill out a runDisney survey. Others probably go this too - but I noted the question on what themes you;d be interested in for races (see attached) and they also asked which ones I already attended and why - everything from merch to charity to value to medals. survey.jpg

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

ok - that seems hard to read - so the list was Pixar, Disney Princesses, ESPN/Sports, Halloween, Star Wars Light Side, Super Heroes, Star Wars Dark Side, Classic Disney (fab five), Wine and Dine, Christmas, Tinker Bell, Disney Character theme, Villains, Other

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

I still think a Villians-themed race would be a blast especially if it was a night run...

RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    ok - that seems hard to read - so the list was Pixar, Disney Princesses, ESPN/Sports, Halloween, Star Wars Light Side, Super Heroes, Star Wars Dark Side, Classic Disney (fab five), Wine and Dine, Christmas, Tinker Bell, Disney Character theme, Villains, Other
    Of the ones we don't already have, I'd love to see:
    -Halloween
    -Pixar
    -Christmas (yes I know there's the Jingle Jungle, but I want a whole weekend)
    -Villains (def. a nighttime race)

Preferably all on the west coast because I'm selfish and can't afford to travel to WDW :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBruin View Post
    Of the ones we don't already have, I'd love to see:
    -Halloween
    -Pixar
    -Christmas (yes I know there's the Jingle Jungle, but I want a whole weekend)
    -Villains (def. a nighttime race)

Preferably all on the west coast because I'm selfish and can't afford to travel to WDW :P
    I would actually LOVE to see Avengers re-branded as a Villians and turned into a night run.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    I would actually LOVE to see Avengers re-branded as a Villians and turned into a night run.
    Could a night race happen in Anaheim? I don't think they could close the streets.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Could a night race happen in Anaheim? I don't think they could close the streets.

Valid point. The inaugural Never Land 5k was at night but that's it. Darn your logic.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Unless they did endless loops through the property and made it only a 10k. Maybe in the future they can include both parking lots with the ramps :-P

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    No reason they can't keep the Avengers theme AND make it villains - there are plenty of villains in the Avengers universe.

Hydra 5K
    Thanos 10K
    Loki half marathon
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Unless they did endless loops through the property and made it only a 10k. Maybe in the future they can include both parking lots with the ramps :-P
    I've commented to friends that it would be funny to have a race that went through ride queues, although it would obviously be super crowded because of the limited capacity/narrow route and because you couldn't go terribly fast - Indiana Jones queue, Space Mountain queue, Star Tours queue, Roger Rabbit queue, Splash Mountain queue, Big Thunder queue, etc.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

So back in the not so distant day, They had a villains race called the Tower of Terror 10 Miler which was a reincarnation of a previous race. Although not technically a villain race, all of the characters were Halloween or villain themed. Due to Construction at DHS and other reasons, the race was discontinued. I did love this night race. I would expect another race to return to DHS once TSL and SWL are completed. Just saying.

Oh yeah, it is good to be back!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    So back in the not so distant day, They had a villains race called the Tower of Terror 10 Miler which was a reincarnation of a previous race. Although not technically a villain race, all of the characters were Halloween or villain themed. Due to Construction at DHS and other reasons, the race was discontinued. I did love this night race. I would expect another race to return to DHS once TSL and SWL are completed. Just saying.

Oh yeah, it is good to be back!
    Yeah, miss that race. Such fun.

Good to have you back. All done with school?
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

I've added in registration dates for the remaining 2017 and early 2018 runDisney events (see first post in forum). Note that dates are happening MUCH earlier than previously (i.e., DLand Half opened last year in early February - now it's December 13th).

No formal confirmation on early AP/DVC dates but assume at least one week prior to general registration dates. And don't forget, pre-registration options for Super Heroes is going on until November 28th if you participated in 2016. I also expect anytime runDisney is at a race expo, they will be offering pre-registration opportunities as well.

RunningFool

Blog Entries
    I've added in registration dates for the remaining 2017 and early 2018 runDisney events (see first post in forum). Note that dates are happening MUCH earlier than previously (i.e., DLand Half opened last year in early February - now it's December 13th).

No formal confirmation on early AP/DVC dates but assume at least one week prior to general registration dates. And don't forget, pre-registration options for Super Heroes is going on until November 28th if you participated in 2016. I also expect anytime runDisney is at a race expo, they will be offering pre-registration opportunities as well.
    that's called lock in even earlier so they can offer discounts earlier in case they don't sell well.

Blog Entries
    that's called lock in even earlier so they can offer discounts earlier in case they don't sell well.
    It's also to combat early registration from other races such as RnR Las Vegas which is offering $99 marathon/ half marathon entry right now and is the same day as Super Heroes. If you've already paid for registration, even if a new, cooler races comes up down the road, you're tied to runDisney unless you want to eat the cost.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

It's interesting seeing all the social media chatter about the earlier runDisney registration dates. Given there are no longer deferrals, are these dates too far out to commit to a race given life can occasionally get in the way? Of course, life can also ruin the best plans just a week prior to a race (i.e., re-aggravating a previous injury a week before Super Heroes Half Marathon) so does it really matter how far in advance one signs up as injuries / life can happen at any time?

And does December registration for the Dland Half Marathon weekend (yes, two weeks before Christmas) put a crimp in your holiday budget?

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Well I'm now considering only 5ks instead of 10ks for Dland and Light Side. I will stick with challenge for super heroes since I have legacy there but for the others I don't want to risk the extra dollars. Yes 5k is still up there but money is money.

Blog Entries

I've added early AP dates for all races thru Tinker 2018 (see first posting in red). Looks like the change to Thursday is permanent.

Still waiting on any details for Disneyland 2018 and beyond.

RunningFool