Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Caribbean Beach Resort or Port Orleans Riverside?

Caribbean Beach Resort or Port Orleans Riverside?

My wife and I are soon to book a week at WDW in January (2017). We want to book into a moderate resort and have stayed at Coronado Springs Resort and Port Orleans Riverside. The other time we stayed on-site we were at the Wilderness Lodge. We like to vary our locations so we are looking at the Caribbean Beach Resort as sort of the last of the moderates where we have not yet stayed (Port Orleans French Quarter being too close to POR to count as a different resort). We really liked POR and would not mind at all to go back there, but would still like to vary things. So, what are some of the pros and cons of going back to the POR versus the CBR? We both do not need any special requirements for travel to and from the parks but shorter ride times are always appreciated. I think we are settled on CBR but I just wanted to see what sort of feedback I could get on this query.

Thanks,
    Peter

2. # ADS

We've faced this same thing a few times! We push ourselves to try new resorts and "check them off the list" so-to-speak, while revisiting our favorites. Our rule of thumb is to try out a new resort if it's someplace we would like to stay - not just for the sake of going to a different resort. I say go for it! We've never regretted staying at a new resort (except All Stars - but that is a tale for another day ) and it's one of the things that helped keep our trips fresh and new. We also love POR, and have returned there several times over the years. In fact - we just added another night at the start of our Jan., 2017 trip and we are staying at POR before moving onto BC for main part of our stay.
    CB is nice - you won't regret it.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My take is that if you haven't tried it and you think that the main features are ones that you would like to try, then give it a shot.

POR is a personal fave of mine but at the same time, the pool area over at CBR is great! Shutters is a nice TS eatery there as well that I think is rather underrated.

The resort is a bit spread out... but its not really a big deal.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Thanks for the info. I had a long look at the CBR. I like the location; close to EPCOT and HS. I saw some advice on other forums to request Martinique area so you are close to Port Royal and bus stops. Pool looks very nice and I have read some good reviews of Shutters. I really didn't think there would be any major reason to not try CBR, I just wanted to make sure. I think we will be booking this week. Then I can post in the 'countdown' forum.

Thanks,
    Peter

I stayed there recently and had a marvelous time. CR was recently refurbed and shows like new. I actually stayed on the backside of the resort because I use my car to get around. And even back there the buildings and grounds were lovely. But I think you will really enjoy being at the front and close to everything you need. They have a wonderful gift shop, an amazing food court that makes you think you are outside, and Shutters. I highly recommend this resort.

Oh yes, when picking a room remember that there is a 2nd floor and that there are no elevators. I enjoy the 2nd floor and do not mind shlepping my bag up the stairs. But you probably will bring more luggage than I would. I live here in town and only need to pack light.

Have a Magical Trip!
    GnP

I'm a solid moderates person, and have stayed in them all several times. Coronado Springs is my favorite, but I've had great stays at the CBR. Go for it!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    I stayed there recently and had a marvelous time. CR was recently refurbed and shows like new. I actually stayed on the backside of the resort because I use my car to get around. And even back there the buildings and grounds were lovely. But I think you will really enjoy being at the front and close to everything you need. They have a wonderful gift shop, an amazing food court that makes you think you are outside, and Shutters. I highly recommend this resort.

Oh yes, when picking a room remember that there is a 2nd floor and that there are no elevators. I enjoy the 2nd floor and do not mind shlepping my bag up the stairs. But you probably will bring more luggage than I would. I live here in town and only need to pack light.

Have a Magical Trip!
    GnP
    GnP,
    I have read some other posts about the recent refurb and, if not for those, I probably would have been looking at a return to POR. No worries about being on the 2nd floor, and as far as luggage goes, we use the Disney Magic Express so our bags go straight from the airplane to our room!!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'm a solid moderates person, and have stayed in them all several times. Coronado Springs is my favorite, but I've had great stays at the CBR. Go for it!
    Dan,
    CSR was our first on-site stay and we liked it, especially the Maya Grill - excellent food! Once we work our way through the other moderates we may go back just for the food!

Thanks again,
    Peter

Oh that's great about Disney Magical Express moving your bags! I never thought about that.

You know, I was hesitant about going to CBR, but oh my, when I saw all the fresh beautiful paint. The buildings just pop with color. And the rooms were ABSOLUTELY spectacular. The bathroom had all new tile, new light fixtures in the room, why there wasn't even a single mark on any wall. My room was perfect.

I know that wherever you stay, you will have a magical time!

GnP

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Regarding Martinique and being close to bus stops --- ALL of the islands have separate bus stops.

Cathy

Wink We are booked!!

Thanks again to all who posted with their input. We booked into CBR in a "water or pool view" room. We will request a location close to Port Royale when we check in (unless some of you have a better method of doing that kind of thing?). Now I just have to decide which camera(s) and photo gear to take .

Peter

I'd add the request prior to that. If I remember correctly you can make those requests online by going into your reservation.

Well folks, CBR was okay, and just okay, but we will not stay there again.

Pros;

- nice lush gardens
    - larger than normal rooms

Cons;

- main pool and hot tubs CLOSE at 9 p.m. during winter season - this is a huge gripe with me as there is nothing I enjoy more after spending 10 to 12 hours in a park than to come back to the hotel and sit in a nice hot tub*
    - low buildings - means even on the second floor you hear lots of outdoor noises like people, gardening crews, maintenance crews, etc.
    - windows and door open to the outdoors and balcony/walkway - means you hear people running/talking down the walkway (I know this isn't really a direct reflection on the hotel itself, but I seem to remember a lot less of this during our previous WDW trip)
    - when the weather is bad and you would like to just go grab a drink or ice at the main food area you will get wet/cold

*I am comparing this to our previous WDW trip where we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and had free run of the hot tub - it never closed

So, yeah, my wife and I got spoiled at Wilderness Lodge, which is better for Disney for next time, right?

Is February winter season. We arrive next week and DD loves to swim later on into the evening.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Is February winter season. We arrive next week and DD loves to swim later on into the evening.
    Only the main pool, where the only two hot tubs are located, closes at 9 pm. The "quiet" pools are open later, IIRC, until 10 or 11 pm, maybe even later if they don't bother to lock the gates.

Thanks. At least I can manage her expectations now.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyPete View Post
    Well folks, CBR was okay, and just okay, but we will not stay there again.

Cons;

- windows and door open to the outdoors and balcony/walkway - means you hear people running/talking down the walkway (I know this isn't really a direct reflection on the hotel itself, but I seem to remember a lot less of this during our previous WDW trip)

So, yeah, my wife and I got spoiled at Wilderness Lodge, which is better for Disney for next time, right?
    My impression (maybe incorrect - can others confirm?) was that all the values and moderates are in this configuration. I've stayed at 3 of the moderates(CB, CS, and POR) and 2 values (Pop and ASMu).

I'm pretty sure only the deluxe resorts have indoor hallways that lead to your room.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    My impression (maybe incorrect - can others confirm?) was that all the values and moderates are in this configuration. I've stayed at 3 of the moderates(CB, CS, and POR) and 2 values (Pop and ASMu).

I'm pretty sure only the deluxe resorts have indoor hallways that lead to your room.
    Dave,
    I think you are correct. We have stayed at CSR and POR but we were in locations that were farther from the main hub, and not pool/water view, and they were much quieter. So, again, probably not a direct result of being at CBR. Just a bad location within the resort itself. And, note to self, sometimes preferred rooms are not better.

Peter

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Thanks. At least I can manage her expectations now.
    I hope the weather is better for you guys. When we were there my wife, who would swim under the ice if there was a layer of it on the pool, didn't swim on one night because it was too cold for her.

P.S. Just noticed your sig... Billy Bragg!!!