Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

Does anyone have any insight (or speculation) into why the Dumbo Double Dare became the Disneyland Double Dare? Did they give up the rights to Dumbo like they did with Twilight Zone?

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep Uncle View Post
    Does anyone have any insight (or speculation) into why the Dumbo Double Dare became the Disneyland Double Dare? Did they give up the rights to Dumbo like they did with Twilight Zone?
    Likely to open up the theme and offer a greater variety of themes as opposed to being locked into Dumbo theme. This can help bring back people whereas in the past they might be less likely to return with a similar medal/theme every year.

(Also, Disney never owned the rights to Twilight Zone, CBS owns it. Disney licensed the rights from CBS and they continue to do so for WDW)

So it looks like sometime in the past month or so, 5K, 10K, and Kid Races sold out. Now only DDD and 1/2 are open.

Additionally, the themes were revealed on the official website:

Half: Toy Story
    10K: Monsters Inc.
    DDD: General Pixar
    5K: The Incredibles
    Kids: Up

Last edited by SoCalBruin; 02-21-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Force is strong in this one

Getting together my costume now so I can train in it this summer. Buying the pieces, hopefully you'll all like it. See you then!

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    Getting together my costume now so I can train in it this summer. Buying the pieces, hopefully you'll all like it. See you then!
    Any hints?
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBruin View Post
    So it looks like sometime in the past month or so, 5K, 10K, and Kid Races sold out. Now only DDD and 1/2 are open.

Additionally, the themes were revealed on the official website:

Half: Toy Story
    10K: Monsters Inc.
    DDD: General Pixar
    5K: The Incredibles
    Kids: Up

They must have reopened registration because I just registered this week for the 5K and my friends were able to register for the 5K as well. It appears all the races are open, except the kids races, if anyone has friends that still wanted to register for a race that weekend
    Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Any hints?
    Its more on the "general Pixar" side of things.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I dress like John Lasseter will anyone notice? He was conducting g a tour with some folks near Cozy Cone this past Sunday so I snapped a good pic. Though I don't think that his suede knockarounds are condusive to running.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    If I dress like John Lasseter will anyone notice?
    If you're wearing a Hawaiian print shirt? Probably. I've seen guys dressed as George Lucas for the Star Wars runs.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

Well, interesting. The Disneyland (formerly Dumbo) Double Dare and Disneyland Half Marathon sold out today. That leaves the Disneyland 10k and 5k (which were reopened as they had previously sold out) as the only open races.

Odd...

RunningFool

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe they just closed them without additional sales. Or maybe they sold a bunch to travel packages.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Well, interesting. The Disneyland (formerly Dumbo) Double Dare and Disneyland Half Marathon sold out today.
    Even odder that on active.com, there's no separate listing for the half marathon at all, like it doesn't exist on its own. It only has the Double Dare, the 5K and the 10K. The kids races aren't listed either. Weird.

And I agree that it's most likely "sold out", however they are choosing to define that, which means they can re-open them at any time.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Even odder that on active.com, there's no separate listing for the half marathon at all, like it doesn't exist on its own. It only has the Double Dare, the 5K and the 10K. The kids races aren't listed either. Weird.

And I agree that it's most likely "sold out", however they are choosing to define that, which means they can re-open them at any time.
    Kind of makes me wonder if they capped them to keep numbers low. Goes back to the theory of getting everyone thru and getting the roads back open. It's just too weird to have them both close like this.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

And in today's news, the Disneyland 5k, 10k, and kids races are now also gone from registration. All that is left is commemorative items.
    RunningFool

Hmm -- glad I signed up for the 10k last week!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    And in today's news, the Disneyland 5k, 10k, and kids races are now also gone from registration. All that is left is commemorative items.
    I have to think they decided to shut down registration for now. I don't believe they all just sold out all of a sudden.

Blog Entries
    I have to think they decided to shut down registration for now. I don't believe they all just sold out all of a sudden.
    Exactly. Either it will reopen at a later time or they are cutting the capacity down to get people off the course faster.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Just a reminder that Proof of Time (POT) for the 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend is due by Tuesday May 30th. Updates can be made by logging into your Active.com account and selecting Edit Registration Information. Make sure to grab a screen shot of your POT especially if you made any updates: runDisney has been known (especially lately) to miss-assign corrals and while they may refuse to make adjustments at Runner Relations, a photo copy of your post will help your case.

Also make sure to select the right distance for your POT - runDisney is not responsible for making sure you submitted the right information. Case in point was the runner who posted time for a 10 miler but selected 10k in error. They were upset with runDisney for not catching their error; in this case it wasn't runDisney's problem. runDisney does not verify links unless they correspond with a 2:45 or less half marathon finish which the time listed as a 10k did not. Never hurts to double-check.

If you believe you will finish the half marathon in less than 2:45 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement. Disneyland Double Dare participants should adhere to half marathon proof of time requirements. Proof of time is not required for the 5K and 10K races.

Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after September 1, 2015 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time.

Half Marathon — 10K, 12K, 15K, 10-Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon

A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following*:
    Name of Race
    Distance
    City
    State
    Date
    Finish time
    Link to Results

*For example, Tinker Bell Half Marathon, 13.1, Anaheim, CA, 5/14/16, – 2:15

For starting corral placement, proof of time must be submitted by the participant for each individual race.

If proof of time is not provided by May 30, 2017, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral.

No corral changes will be made after May 30, 2017.

Past runDisney races may be used as proof of time, however they are not automatically input for your race registration.

Proof of time submissions must be made within your active.com account and cannot be accepted via email.

RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Had an interesting exchange at rock n roll San Diego expo this past weekend. We went over to the runDisney booth even though we weren't expecting to see anything new, but we like to browse the medals anyway. I noticed they had a flyer out with races they were selling, and I was surprised that they listed the DL half as being for sale. I thought, hmmm, maybe they have special packages because of the expo. I thought about it for a minute, to see if I wanted to sign up. I was talking to another woman who was also there for the race, and she also did runDisney races as well. We both commented on the fact that the races had all "sold out" recently. She then checked with the runDisney rep, who said that they were no longer selling the DL half races, that they had sold out on Friday. (We were there on Saturday.) I told the rep that I understood that's what she is supposed to say to us, and the other woman and I grinned at each other. The rep assured me that it had sold out because they were limiting capacity because of Star Wars construction. I made the comment that I didn't believe that all the races coincidentally sold out on the same day this far into registration, and that there didn't seem to be a problem with the other races that they've held since they closed parts of the park for Star Wars land construction. She said something about how continued Star Wars construction was going to close more of the park. I just stared at her and decided it wasn't worth having the conversation anymore. I just nodded my head. Well, at least they've come up with a story to tell now.

Blog Entries

Just a bit of interesting news that supports the rumor of getting the roads back open sooner around DLand. Looks like ALL the remaining runDisney Dland races scheduled for 2017 will now start at 5:00 a.m. Every. Single. One. 5k - 5:00 a.m. 10k - 5:00 a.m. Half marathon - 5:00 a.m.

Going to be a LOT of very early mornings!

RunningFool

My husband, son & I will be participating in the Disneyland Half Marathon for the first time. Can anyone tell me anything about the complimentary transportation? I was trying to find out if the Peacock Suites is one of the hotels that will be able to use the transportation.

Also, I had sent RunDisney a message about the Spectator Party and they said it was already full. I never even saw it open for registration. Does anyone know anything about it? We were going to sign up my 81 year old mother-in-law for it. She thought about doing the half (she is in amazing shape) but decided against it as she wants to be able to spend three days at Disneyland Any suggestions on a good spot for her to watch? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy24 View Post
    My husband, son & I will be participating in the Disneyland Half Marathon for the first time. Can anyone tell me anything about the complimentary transportation? I was trying to find out if the Peacock Suites is one of the hotels that will be able to use the transportation.

Also, I had sent RunDisney a message about the Spectator Party and they said it was already full. I never even saw it open for registration. Does anyone know anything about it? We were going to sign up my 81 year old mother-in-law for it. She thought about doing the half (she is in amazing shape) but decided against it as she wants to be able to spend three days at Disneyland Any suggestions on a good spot for her to watch? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    You can find the info for the transportation off past runs usually and when the info for runners pops up on the current one but it does go from that hotel from what I see. My friend and I used it during Tink weekend. Its just the ART shuttle. You just make sure at the expo you pick them up there. I know it said they are suppose to see your bib but we weren't even asked for them when we got them. They gave us all the info on which number shuttle to catch and how often it runs. As well as when it starts to run for the races and the driver we had told us when he would start taking back to the hotels before we left the shuttle. It was pretty easy to use.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Thank you for the info, Berry Princess. I will check that out!

Anyone have a general idea of when the course information will be available? I'm getting very excited for my first Half Marathon!

Any hints?
    Its more on the "general Pixar" side of things.
    It's finally ready for its first test run tomorrow for the most difficult piece of it. It held up for the short 10 meter runs around my living room, but need to get it outside.

Right now, it involves a headband, a hat, a hijab, a cone of shame, and lots of velcro. And no, I'm not Doug.