MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Frightful Nights at Knott's Scary Farm

Frightful Nights at Knott's Scary Farm by Todd Pickering

Todd checks out the Halloween haunts at Knott's Berry Farm

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Mazes are not optimized for ECV

I attended the opening night (Thursday September 22, 2016) of Knott's Scary Farm.

Afterward, I wrote a letter of complaint to Knott's Berry Farm (guest services) regarding the mazes.
    I complained that the twists and turns of the mazes were too sharp for an Electronic Convenience Vehicle (ECV) to navigate.
    I got stuck countless times in my ECV, because the "angle of attack" was not optimal for "Electronic Wheelchairs".

(My own device that evening was a rental from Deckert Medical (Santa Ana, CA), as the normal Knott's rental kiosk is closed for Knott's Scary Farm. This should be duly noted by the reader!).

In my letter, I suggested that the designers or engineers of the mazes do a test run of all mazes with an Electronic Wheelchair, to see whether the turns can be navigated successfully via an Electronic Wheelchair.

Never mind that the combination of (a.) darkness; and (b.) artificial fog; made "finding the next turn" very challenging, as I moved from room to room.
    In the dark, it was often too hard to see 3-5 feet ahead of my pathway. -- This, despite the fact that my ECV had a headlight lit all the time.

Good news, though: Each "monster", or regular Knott's staff member (i.e., not in costume, but wearing the standard black polo shirt), quickly pointed out the next pathway, whenever I did stop/pause (due to the inability to see more than a few feet ahead of me).
    The monsters would gesture in one direction, and the Knott's staff members would swing their flashlight's beam toward the appropriate path.

Bottom line:
    I hope that in 2017 that Knott's Scary Farm staffers do a thorough review of all maze pathways for (a.) ECV devices; (b.) people who are overweight.
    In closing:
    I am thinking of one particular maze where there are puffy billows (something like huge marshmallows) squeezing one who is walking (i.e., touching the guest) in one particular straight path of one maze.
    That "obstacle" might be re-designed. -- I don't think it is wise to have anything in the pathway actually touch a guest.
    No other maze (no other room) had the room's decorations/appointments actually touch the guests.
    I would draw the line at "touching the guests."
    In my opinion.

"It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

Great critique of Knotts Scary Farm

So I am the type of person that gets startled easily and screams bloody murder. For example Disneyland a few years back (at least 10 but can't remember exactly) did a Halloween with real ghosts roaming around the Haunted Mansion (they also had them in POC). The real ghosts in HM made me scream so they then targeted my doom buggy knowing they would get a reaction. My brother riding with me was laughing hysterically.

So just from my reaction to the HM I think Knotts Scary Farm is a no go for me. I especially don't like clowns, they are creepy for sure. The idea of being able to kill ghosts does intrigue me but I might just freeze.

Great point Potzbie.

Now that I think of it there was someone in a wheelchair up ahead and it seemed like it was easy for he or she to get through the maze but some of the rooms were not very friendly including that one. I am glad to hear that the Knott's staff was friendly and helpful. But it is good to note that.