Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: What Does Star Wars Mean?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

What Does Star Wars Mean?

What Does Star Wars Mean? by Todd King

What makes Star Wars particularly significant that theme parks and more movies are being made from it?

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Star Wars has nothing to do with Disneyworld. And Avatar is a screed against American consumerism of which WDW is the #1 example of. Why would you put something like that in your park that is all about consumerism?
    Greedy corporate titans don't care about the Magic. Just the almighty dollar.

Great article!

I'll take the other side of Chuck's argument and state that at this point, SW has just as much a place at WDW as Toy Story does. Though I need to admit I agree with the Avatar part (didn't care for the movie), even though I'm sure Avatarland will be technologically stunning.

Disney bought Pixar years ago as well, it wasn't developed in house from the start. Until Disney bought Lucasfilm, I can see the argument of it being out of place. That did not discourage me from thinking Star Tours was extremely cool when I first experienced it in DL in Summer of 1990. Toy Story MM is also still one of the most popular attractions on both coasts.

Obviously it's all driven by money, that is indisputable. Doesn't mean it's necessarily an abomination though.

-Dave

Summed up very well, Dave. With Avatar, it is a bit out of place in one sense because it's not "Disney-owned" but in another sense, it could be seen as out of place in Animal Kingdom. Animal Kingdom is a technologically-advanced park, but it is meant to not look and feel technologically advanced. It is meant to look and feel earthy and realistic and tangible. Pandora will add a huge fantasy element to the park and well, Disney parks abound in fantasy ...

~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)