Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Using Uber at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    They can't "not allow" Uber in reality. They definitely can decide not to promote it. I can see how they can make it more difficult for Uber getting into parking lots of theme parks. We used it for resort to resort travel without any issue.
    I guess, for me, it boils down to whether or not they will allow me to be dropped off by an Uber driver WITHOUT having to pay the $20 parking fee. If I have to pay the fee each time, I might as well get a rental car.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by menicksmom View Post
    I guess, for me, it boils down to whether or not they will allow me to be dropped off by an Uber driver WITHOUT having to pay the $20 parking fee. If I have to pay the fee each time, I might as well get a rental car.
    That'll be something to ask the driver. And as I said you may have to dropped off at a nearby resort and take Disney transportation or walk to the park. It's a manageable walk to get to MK, Epcot and DHS from a nearby resort. Or you could take the ferry or monorail. For AK you'd have to take a bus from AKL.

That'll be something to ask the driver. And as I said you may have to dropped off at a nearby resort and take Disney transportation or walk to the park. It's a manageable walk to get to MK, Epcot and DHS from a nearby resort. Or you could take the ferry or monorail. For AK you'd have to take a bus from AKL.
    Thanks for the advice. I assumed you meant I'd have to take Uber to the resort, hop on a bus, then take it to the park. I never considered the resorts would be with walking distance to the parks. I've only stayed at Pop Century and it required a bus ride to the park.

Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk you can walk or ferry to Epcot (and further DHS) through the international gateway. DHS I think it's closer to walk from Swan/Dolphin. MK I think you can walk from one of the resorts (contemporary?). You could also take take the ferry or monorail from one of the nearby resorts. Considering you'd have to take the ferry or monorail from the TTC anyways.

I've used Uber and Lyft before on property and they're both very easy to use. Some resorts will not let them past certain access points and will require you to be picked up at the front of your hotel, but others may be able to pick you up just outside your room in the parking lots.

It's much cheaper than a Taxi, and WAY less expensive than anything Mears offers. WDW resorts to/from the Universal Resort is normally about $20 each way if I remember correctly.

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just chatted with WDW online and was told they do not allow Uber and suggest I use Mears taxis. The online estimate shows between $35-$45 each trip from my hotel, vs. about $12-$15 with Uber from the hotel to the parks. Quite a difference.
    With all due respect to Disney - of course they want you to use Mears. They most likely have an agreement with them. (Just like they subcontract DME to them as well.)
    However, they dont "ban" Uber use on property.

In regards to the parking fee, in essence, you are correct, that in theory the driver would only have to pay the fee once per day. However, unless that driver targets fares to/from parks, there is no real guarantee that they would get that "investment" back. Like it was said - its up to the driver and passenger to work this out preferably before the passenger gets picked up.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Would they actually have to pay if they're performing drop offs/pick ups only?

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChipmunkStar View Post
    Would they actually have to pay if they're performing drop offs/pick ups only?
    I'm not positive because I haven't taken uber to a park, but if they allow taxi drop offs they can allow uber drop offs. The problem is that uber cars can be personal cars too so they can't necessarily distinguish if it's entering as work or personal, unless they have a taxi entrance area separate from the regular parking area.

When drivers sign up as a driver for Lyft and Uber, they are sent a welcome packet with stickers for their windows. Here in Milwaukee, if you do not have a sticker, you cannot do dropoffs and pickups at the airport or sporting events.

I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

Blog Entries
    The problem is that uber cars can be personal cars too so they can't necessarily distinguish if it's entering as work or personal, unless they have a taxi entrance area separate from the regular parking area.
    Quote Originally Posted by WITron View Post
    When drivers sign up as a driver for Lyft and Uber, they are sent a welcome packet with stickers for their windows.
    I think the problem is that such ride share services still use personal cars and even with the stickers, they can be used as -personal- cars.

But even then, if going to a park from a resort and vice versa, its probably still faster to use Disney transportation.
    Between waiting for the ride to get there and going to the destination, chances are you are going to look at similar wait and transportation times - and have it for free.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I agree if staying onsite resort to park transportation is faster with Disney than something like Uber. But I think menicksmom is staying offsite so their options outside of car rental are uber or taxi.

Blog Entries

Even if that is the case, I think the advice is still the same - check with the Uber driver beforehand.
    That really is going to be the only way to really find out unless someone here has direct experience.

I know at the Magic Kingdom, using the main parking lot, you would still need to ride either the ferry or monorail from the parking lot to the park, but are there rider drop off areas at the parks?

I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

Blog Entries

Right... for the MK, there is a pick up/drop off area that is at the TTC, somewhat towards the Poly entrance.

From a Moms Panel question on the same topic:

EPCOT:
    Currently, the Guest pick-up/drop-off area is in the Resort Bus stop area. It is located behind Resort bus stop #2. A Cast Member will guide you to the lane you need to be in while entering the Park in order to access this area. When your Guests are ready to be picked up, they will exit the Park and make their way toward the Resort Bus pick-up lots.
    And on a different Moms Panel thread:
    Hollywood Studios
    There is a guest drop-off area near the taxi stand at the Hollywood Studios parking lot. When you get to the parking lot, just ask one of the cast member attendants to direct you there.
    And on a third Moms Panel thread:
    Animal Kingdom:
    hen you approach Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park, you'll see signs for drop-off/pick-up traffic. Simply follow the signs and they'll bring you around to the entrance of the park. If signs aren't posted, just let the Cast Member at the parking gate know you're being dropped off and they'll let you know where to go.

Excellent. With rider drop off areas there shouldn't be any issues.

Using Uber at WDW

There are drop off areas at all the parks including Universal. I am not familiar with them but there was just a thread about them on a UK board I visit where someone explained their locations in detail so pretty sure they exist.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I agree if staying onsite resort to park transportation is faster with Disney than something like Uber. But I think menicksmom is staying offsite so their options outside of car rental are uber or taxi.
    Yep, I'm staying at Hyatt Place Orlando/Convention
    (using Hyatt Passport points so there's no cost to me).

Excellent information. Thank you.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well we actually did use Uber while there last month 3 different times and the rates were down right cheap as far as I was concerned. All three of our drivers were very professional and friendly. One of our trips was to Universal from SoG so it only cost us $18 to get there. I did not want to worry about getting picked up by Uber so just grabbed a Mears taxi and it was $47 coming back, so you can see there is a big price difference. As far as Disney/Universal not allowing Uber, if they don't have their car marked its just someone dropping you off. IF you ever get approached about who it was by a CM you have three choices: 1. None of your business, 2. Uber, 3. Relatives. When we were scheduling Uber we told the driver to take us to the guest drop off locations and had no trouble.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    Well we actually did use Uber while there last month 3 different times and the rates were down right cheap as far as I was concerned. All three of our drivers were very professional and friendly. One of our trips was to Universal from SoG so it only cost us $18 to get there. I did not want to worry about getting picked up by Uber so just grabbed a Mears taxi and it was $47 coming back, so you can see there is a big price difference. As far as Disney/Universal not allowing Uber, if they don't have their car marked its just someone dropping you off. IF you ever get approached about who it was by a CM you have three choices: 1. None of your business, 2. Uber, 3. Relatives. When we were scheduling Uber we told the driver to take us to the guest drop off locations and had no trouble.
    Have you ever used Uber when LEAVING the park? Can they come into the parking lot without paying the $20 fee to pick you up?

Have you ever used Uber when LEAVING the park? Can they come into the parking lot without paying the $20 fee to pick you up?
    As stated earlier there are pick up/drop off areas for all the parks. They can pick you up there without paying a fee. Not sure exactly where they are for each park, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I was reading on another site the attendant at the toll plaza will direct you to the drop off area.

As stated earlier there are pick up/drop off areas for all the parks. They can pick you up there without paying a fee. Not sure exactly where they are for each park, but that shouldn't be an issue.
    I guess if I find the drop off/pick up location and then set the Uber app to pick up, the driver will be able to track me down.

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

Should be right by the taxis

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

I'm using Uber!

I posted questions several months ago about the ability to use Uber at WDW. I thought I'd update everyone. Today is day 1 of 8. My son and I are staying at Hyatt Place Orlando/Convention. We decided to go to Magic Kingdom today around 9:00am and called for an Uber. Got one in about 5minutes, cost $14 to get there (dropped off in taxi & bus area) and $17 to get back at 4:30ish. Pickup driver had to meet me at the BACK of the taxi line or he said he gets yelled at by Disney. All in all, everything went well.