Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2016 Super Heroes Half Marathon

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2016 Super Heroes Half Marathon

Team MousePlanet is planning to host a cheer station somewhere along the course of the 2016 Super Heroes Half Marathon on Sunday, November 13. This has become one of our largest community events, and many runners and walkers tell us they look for us every race.

This will be our basic set up, with Red Vines (a.k.a. Free Candy From Strangers) for the runners and walkers, plus support and motivation. If you're a runner/walker who is sitting this race out and want to see what it's like to cheer, or if you're a non-runner who just wants to find something fun and unusual to do at 6am on Sunday morning, we would love to have your help. The more the merrier!

Disney has not yet released the course for the 2016 race, but it does not appear that a new course has been certified by USATF. If they're using the same course as in 2015, we'll likely be somewhere after the mile 6 marker. We'll drive the course once it's official and have more information then.

We will bring the tables, pop-up tent, Red Vines and the Team MousePlanet banners. All you need to bring is yourself, a great attitude, and whatever supplies you want - a chair, sunblock, snacks and drinks. Noise makers of any type are great - you will be sore from clapping and hoarse from yelling very quickly!

If you would like to volunteer for our cheer station, please let me know by replying to this thread, and I hope to see you there!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Headless Chicken

Ken and I will totally be there again.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Update: Ken and Teresa can't make it this year, which is completely cool. However this means I need some super heroes to help! Based on the new course it looks like we'll be right before the Mile 7 marker, on the corner of Haster and Gene Autry. That's the exact same spot we were last year, just the other side of the street. Parking isn't great there, but I'm going to scout the area - there's a business on Haster that might let us park if I ask nicely.

Any volunteers?

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

I'm not going to promise because technically I have to work from the office tomorrow. I can set my own hours, but I'd like to get it over with. Although I know we're usually done early, so we'll see.

And also, just from looking at the map, I'm not really sure how I'd get there from I-5 South. I remember it being an issue last year too.

Have you scouted out parking? I think I've got two volunteers for you tomorrow morning.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I'm not going to promise because technically I have to work from the office tomorrow. I can set my own hours, but I'd like to get it over with. Although I know we're usually done early, so we'll see.

And also, just from looking at the map, I'm not really sure how I'd get there from I-5 South. I remember it being an issue last year too.
    If you can that would be awesome, because at this point it really is *just me* right now. I'm good, but I have 2 arms so my candy-handing-out capacity is limited.

If you're driving, street closures begin at 5:00 a.m. sharp. We're at the corner of a closure zone, so you can get TO us, but you'll have to walk in. If you're coming down 5 South before the closure, exit Harbor and go south to Katella, turn right on Haster. I'll be setting up on the southeast corner of Haster and Gene Autry Drive. There is ridiculously limited parking in the area. If you want to park outside the closure zone, look at the neighborhood just north of that intersection - Jupiter / Rocket / Thor streets. There may be something there when you arrive. Ironically it's walking distance from the back edge of the Toy Story lot - I may need to see if I can get Disney to let us park there next year.

AVP

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kingu View Post
    Have you scouted out parking? I think I've got two volunteers for you tomorrow morning.
    I just got back from there, and it's a mess. The place I hoped would let us park said no. Here's the Google maps of the location, and the post above has my best suggestions for parking:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+...4d-117.8989659

However, IF they are willing to walk a little bit to us, there is a "Holiday Inn Resort Area" and a "Staybridge Suites Resort Area" on the corner of Gene Autry Way and basically the 5 freeway, and they have a load of parking from the satellite image. I can't tell if there's any pedestrian access to Gene Autry Way from their parking lot, but that's one possible option.

AVP

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    I just got back from there, and it's a mess. The place I hoped would let us park said no. Here's the Google maps of the location, and the post above has my best suggestions for parking:

However, IF they are willing to walk a little bit to us, there is a "Holiday Inn Resort Area" and a "Staybridge Suites Resort Area" on the corner of Gene Autry Way and basically the 5 freeway, and they have a load of parking from the satellite image. I can't tell if there's any pedestrian access to Gene Autry Way from their parking lot, but that's one possible option.

AVP
    I take it you tried the donut shop at Katella & Hastert? From streetview, there's no access from the two resorts off of Manchester to Gene Autry, you have to go all the way to Katella and down Hastert to reach Gene Autry & Hastert. The residential area just south-east looks like an area to check, I didn't see any permit required signs along their streets; worst case there's an elementary school just on the other side of Orangewood with parking. Should be at the corner at about 6am. My DW & I will be there.
    Last edited by kingu; 11-12-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kingu View Post
    i take it you tried the donut shop at katella & hastert? From streetview, there's no access from the two resorts off of manchester to gene autry, you have to go all the way to katella and down hastert to reach gene autry & hastert. The residential area just south-east looks like an area to check, i didn't see any permit required signs along their streets; worst case there's an elementary school just on the other side of orangewood with parking. Should be at the corner at about 6am. My dw & i will be there.
    thank you!!!!!

And if anyone is peeking in here contemplating doing this for a future race, DO IT! It was a BLAST, probably my best side of the course experience.