Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Reports from FB groups on the 10K suggest that characters were on the course for the race today. Some are suggesting that they were hastily added. I have no proof of the hasty part, but there's plenty of photo evidence of characters on the course.
    If true they must have had some complaints. As it is I got one as well to give them. While I know I should have checked it myself, and usually do....they gave me the wrong bib which in turn gave me the wrong size shirt and not able to exchange it either for 2 sizes down since they had none. The couple people doing the check in were not very on the ball IMO unlike how it has been in the past. By the time noticed it was to late to do something about it. Luckily 5ks don't count but still.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    If true they must have had some complaints. As it is I got one as well to give them. While I know I should have checked it myself, and usually do....they gave me the wrong bib which in turn gave me the wrong size shirt and not able to exchange it either for 2 sizes down since they had none. The couple people doing the check in were not very on the ball IMO unlike how it has been in the past. By the time noticed it was to late to do something about it. Luckily 5ks don't count but still.
    And these folks were paid workers? Not a good ROI.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, they DID have characters out for the 10k this morning! Great to see them - they just add so much ambiance to the run even if I don't stop for pictures.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    And these folks were paid workers? Not a good ROI.

Right? I let RunDisney know my feelings on things and what happened too.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Reports from FB groups on the 10K suggest that characters were on the course for the race today. Some are suggesting that they were hastily added. I have no proof of the hasty part, but there's plenty of photo evidence of characters on the course.
    A reliable CM told me that characters were called in yesterday for the 10K after complaints from the 5K. However, something else that was missing, and can't be quickly replaced, were the community performing groups. There were no marching bands or cheer squads this year, and I've been told the Red Hat Ladies are not officially part of the course tomorrow. Some may come out on their own, but the larger organization is not organizing anything after Disney discontinued the free-tickets-for-volunteers program. As I feared, Disney did not hire replacements for those groups. I fear for what this means for the Star Wars race - if the cosplayers are not included somehow, that's a big letdown for the runners.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    A reliable CM told me that characters were called in yesterday for the 10K after complaints from the 5K. However, something else that was missing, and can't be quickly replaced, were the community performing groups. There were no marching bands or cheer squads this year, and I've been told the Red Hat Ladies are not officially part of the course tomorrow. Some may come out on their own, but the larger organization is not organizing anything after Disney discontinued the free-tickets-for-volunteers program. As I feared, Disney did not hire replacements for those groups. I fear for what this means for the Star Wars race - if the cosplayers are not included somehow, that's a big letdown for the runners.

AVP
    Did you pick a spot to cheer tomorrow? I supposed I could come up with something not nearly as entertaining as a marching band. I've read that tomorrow is National Dance Like a Chicken Day...

AVP
    The couple pictures I saw of characters from this morning it looks like it was a last minute rush job too. My husband was saying that maybe someone didn't schedule them as they should have or something. I hope this is not a sign of changes to come.

I was saddened by the lack of on course entertainment this morning. It really made some stretches very dull. Also, I couldn't stand the same song being played repeatedly for the majority of the race. It really wouldn't have killed them to put some variety on the speakers. I really feel they're starting to cheap out (or something), which is sad considering how much the races cost.

Quote Originally Posted by A Shellie Day View Post
    I was saddened by the lack of on course entertainment this morning. It really made some stretches very dull. Also, I couldn't stand the same song being played repeatedly for the majority of the race. It really wouldn't have killed them to put some variety on the speakers. I really feel they're starting to cheap out (or something), which is sad considering how much the races cost.
    Agree on the music. I know it was that way during the 5k too with the music and it was a bit annoying after awhile to not have something different other than 2 songs. I think if I hadn't been walking with my friend that the dull stretches would have seemed like it was taking longer than it had. The lack of being cheered on was really bad throughout as well. I think the DTD area was the most we had for cheering along the course. Sad that you don't see Tink or just one of her fairy friends along the route during it. I know I might have stopped if we had seen Rosetta since we did a garden fairy theme.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Did you pick a spot to cheer tomorrow? I supposed I could come up with something not nearly as entertaining as a marching band. I've read that tomorrow is National Dance Like a Chicken Day...
    Never mind, I just realized the route hasn't changed since last year. Setting an alarm.

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Never mind, I just realized the route hasn't changed since last year. Setting an alarm.
    Sweet! See you there! Ken and I are getting there around 5 to start setting up.
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Thoughts on the Half this morning:

Holy moly, the handling of the corrals was TERRIBLE. I was in Corral D, and I saw people from E & F in that corral. Also saw a PACER (like the ones who carry the signs) with a bib for D heading for corral C. There was a huge gap on the side of our corral where people were jumping in. Also, security was a joke... they had security to go into the family reunion area in the morning before the race started... but when we got to the ESPN zone security, they just let everyone walk thru the metal detectors without any care as to whether or not they were beeping. Like if you aren't going to check us, why are you making us walk through the metal detectors?? Doesn't make any sense. Anyway I was glad to be there a bit early so that I wasn't stuck in the huge line to get into the corrals. But I have to say I was very disappointed in the lack of people checking who was going into what corral. Plus, with the lax security, I just felt things were a bit unsafe compared to previous races I've done...

The course itself was great - this was actually my favorite course because I felt like we got a lot of time on Disney property! I did see a good amount of characters out, although I don't stop for characters anyways.

There was ONE high school band on the whole course... between miles 10 and 11. I really missed the on course entertainment. Especially around mile 6... that long straightaway was pretty boring... I also felt like there were less CMs than usual out and about. I remember seeing "Third Shift Custodial Thanks You!" out on the course - didn't see that at all.

I'm proud of how I did, but I was disappointed in the way the corrals were handled, along with the lack of on-course entertainment.

I have to say that you can tell the difference (maybe not with all) between those that have done a RunDisney race and one that hasn't. My friend has never done one before so this was her first 5k. This was my 5th time with RunDisney so while I was expecting more and left feeling underwhelmed, she told me she had fun still and it was fine how it was. I'm left feeling like if this is how it will be for future runs that I will have to debate doing it again and she said she would do it again without another thought. Which I wonder if she did one of the past ones and experienced it as I had she would feel the same or not.

Curious, what characters were out this morning for the half?

As for security, I know going in Friday morning, we walked through and they checked things. Now going back into DTD after it by ESPN was like it was the last times since they set up the checkpoints, we got waved around the metal detectors. Didn't go through them at all or get checked. Yet many of us didn't have bags to check anyway. This happened the last time too. Its so backed up that I think they just want to hurry us along and be done since we mostly have all come from the run but I do understand what you are saying. Even my husband said but someone could still grab something before going back through and I agree.

It sounds like this weekend was just a major mess with how everything has been handled.

Characters I saw (either with my own eyes or via Instagram):

Rosetta, iridessa, and silvermist just before the Mile 1 marker
    Tinker bell and Fawn next to Pixie Hollow
    Chip and Dale on Main Street (next to Starbucks)
    Pluto and Goofy at paradise pier
    Peter and Wendy on the train station
    Lost boys on king tritons carousel
    Lightning McQueen and mater in carsland
    Hook and smee in front of the Animation building
    And about 3 or 4 small groups of pirates cheering runners on at various points

Thanks ChipmunkStar. Glad more were out today and some for the 10k but a shame they totally blew it with the 5k as they did. I've never stopped for the pictures but enjoy the characters and take pictures of them as I go by since I am usually near the back. Yet with this one I might have rethought that since we started in the front and if any of the fairies had been out. Especially Rosetta since we themed to her fairy talent.

Congrats to all the racers!! It sounds like the hiring of temporary workers vs. community/corporate groups didn't really work as well. I do know that the staffing agency was having a hard time filling all of the positions.

There must be some way that Disney can figure out how to "gift" volunteers with park admission. It can't be more than the amount they spent on temporary workers, can it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josephfive View Post
    Congrats to all the racers!! It sounds like the hiring of temporary workers vs. community/corporate groups didn't really work as well. I do know that the staffing agency was having a hard time filling all of the positions.

There must be some way that Disney can figure out how to "gift" volunteers with park admission. It can't be more than the amount they spent on temporary workers, can it?
    One-day, one-park pass retail = $97. 6 hours (estimate) of volunteer @ $13 per hour = $78. Difference to a corporation the size of runDisey = negligible.

I think the key is with volunteers they don't have control to do background checks, etc. With security such a high issue, perhaps that is more the driving factor.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    One-day, one-park pass retail = $97. 6 hours (estimate) of volunteer @ $13 per hour = $78. Difference to a corporation the size of runDisey = negligible.

I think the key is with volunteers they don't have control to do background checks, etc. With security such a high issue, perhaps that is more the driving factor.
    And yet they push all sorts of folks through the gates without metal detection when the crowds are so big. Granted this weekend these were racers with only their running gear on - but still. Security policy not uniformly enforced is just a convenience.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    And yet they push all sorts of folks through the gates without metal detection when the crowds are so big. Granted this weekend these were racers with only their running gear on - but still. Security policy not uniformly enforced is just a convenience.

I hear ya - I was caught in the security mess off Harbor and again in DT Disney Sunday morning. Just a nightmare. I also heard of many people who were caught in security five times in one morning.

They are going to have to REALLY re-think their security plans going forward. I just hope to heck they have it figured out before Disneyland Half Weekend.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

I just hope to heck they have it figured out before Disneyland Half Weekend.
    Ha ha ha ha ha.... Sorry, it's a Monday

Blog Entries
    Ha ha ha ha ha.... Sorry, it's a Monday

We can hope...

I'm putting together an article on the weekend. If anyone would like to contribute their experiences from any of the races and/or as a spectator, please drop me a PM by EOD on Tuesday. Also looking for any pictures you would like to share. Thanks!
    RunningFool

I ran the half yesterday with my mom. It was my fifth half (fourth @ Disney) and my mom's first half but she's done Disney 10Ks before. We only decided to do Tink a month ago, because I thought it'd be good for her to get a half under her belt before we go to Paris in September for the DLP half. Plus, Castle to Chateau!

Yesterday was kind of a mess. It took like half an hour to get from Downtown Disney to the corrals and another runner told us the line was all the way back to Wonderground. We went through security twice - once into family reunion, and again to get into Downtown Disney. But the backup getting into corrals was just because they were pulsing people in due to the narrow walkway. I'm not sure why they didn't just have people walk backwards up the race course to get to the corrals? I feel like that's what we did at the Star Wars 10k a few years ago when the course started northbound.

We were in E and I didn't notice corral jumpers there but I wasn't looking for them either. We were thankful that we used the portapotties in the family reunion area before the race because the portapotties they had near the corrals had zany lines. E was huge and probably contributed to a lot of bottlenecking we experienced along the course. The worst was when everyone came to a dead stop in Fantasyland behind the castle, which was weird. There are always points at the start of Disney races where we get a little stuck behind some crowds, but it seemed worse yesterday.

Character photo ops aren't really my thing but it was nice to see some characters out. I was bummed at the lack of course entertainment after leaving the resort. There was one band around mile 7 and one marching band around mile 10-11; I also remember one DJ at mile 7.5. The MousePlanet crew near mile 8 gave us some welcome entertainment! Neither of us eat Red Vines but the signs were fantastic. The stretch from miles 10-12 is always a long slog for me so I wish they would've put some entertainment there.

I know they just switched to paid staff but we didn't experience any problems at water stations and everyone was just as polite and encouraging as ever. This is the first Disney race where I've noticed Race Guards on the course for medical support and they were great! Thankfully we didn't need their services but I saw lots of them out helping people quickly and getting them back on their feet.

We left just before 10am and as I'm sure everyone knows, traffic getting into Mickey & Friends was awful by that time. Maybe the worst I've ever seen, and reminded me of the bad traffic we encountered on our last park trip on 1/2/17 (which was expected then because of the holiday). Getting out was easy for us but I did hear that for those who left a little later, it took hours to get out of M&F.

This was my first time running Tink but the course was great, and I wish Avengers would get more park time like Tink does. Also, I've read plenty of complaints about the shirts but I actually really liked them (which is saying something, because the main reason I've never wanted to run Tink is because Tinkerbell is easily my most disliked Disney character).

Thanks again to the MP crew near mile 8!

I have to say the only complaint about the shirts I have is that I ended up with the wrong size thanks to the bib issues and couldn't go down in size like I needed to because they had none in the exchange for it. I also wish it hadn't been white for the 5k shirt. Otherwise I have no problems with the print on it and know those are always regular old t-shirts. Which I do wish they weren't but it seemed like the ones from this were larger than they normally are too. At least it was that way to me. In the drawer it goes with the others ones though. I was glad I did the pre-order for a jacket. I always get my son the ones for Star Wars and Superheroes but since I do those because of him I don't care to have one but Tink was for me. I like that its darker in shade unlike some I have seen in the past in pictures. I have a couple other complaints about the 5k but I already stated those and like I said before let RunDisney know. I haven't heard back yet and figured if I did it would be awhile. It does say it could take 10 days but I can imagine there is a ton of complaints to them about the weekend. I do wish we had more course time in Disneyland instead of DCA and backstage but that isn't much of a big deal compared to other issues.

Those that made it through the 10 and half congrats to you all!

AVP
    Thanks for the info! I didn't think about this in relation to Star Wars until you wrote this. Star Wars would NOT be the same without the cosplayers! I sure hope this wont be the case come January. I also hope they find a way to bring more of the marching bands and cheer groups back! I really do enjoy seeing them on the course and often tear up when running by them!

Let's also not forget that with Volunteers, Disney actually makes back money! They may gift them the ticket, but then they go into the park and buy food, drinks, merchandise, photos, etc. Same as they did with the Birthday promotion.
    "You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"