Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

I signed up yesterday for the challenge after actually reaching a human at runDisney, who confirmed that I could still submit a proof of time during registration (even though the deadline was passed), I just won't be able to change it. Love the new challenge medal.

2. # ADS

The medals are so much better. That old challenge medal is just ugly.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It appears that runDisney has had a change of heart and due to overwhelming demand, has reopened the transfer process until April 28th and/or the challenge is sold out.

So, if you now have your heart set on the awesome new PDC medal and are sitting with a purchased half marathon, you can now request away. Just ignore the 2/14 date currently on the form.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    They revealed the medals for the races today. The new half marathon and challenge medals are tempting, even though I really dislike the course and have other issues which are making me hesitate to sign up.
    I registered for the 10K through a travel agency after the medals were revealed. I'm so tempted by the others, but not enough to train for a half in 8 weeks.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

MA Master

Question about getting swept...Months ago when I signed up for the PDC, I didn't know that I will now be 7 weeks post hip replacement surgery on race weekend. I wrote RunDisney to see if I could defer until next year (I knew they would say no, but they couldn't say yes if I didn't ask) and was denied. My question is, I will probably be able to walk, but if I can't make the whole distance, how little can you go and be transported back to the tent? It seems that if you are inside the parks, it could take a lot longer with the race traffic, and I've never seen any carts or vans in them.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelsie View Post
    Question about getting swept...Months ago when I signed up for the PDC, I didn't know that I will now be 7 weeks post hip replacement surgery on race weekend. I wrote RunDisney to see if I could defer until next year (I knew they would say no, but they couldn't say yes if I didn't ask) and was denied. My question is, I will probably be able to walk, but if I can't make the whole distance, how little can you go and be transported back to the tent? It seems that if you are inside the parks, it could take a lot longer with the race traffic, and I've never seen any carts or vans in them.
    Oh, they'll sweep from anywhere. They have a golf cart for inside the parks. Don't worry, if you have to stop at any point for any reason, they'll get you out of there.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

If you need to stop just find a CM/volunteer and let them know what is going on. I know there are golf carts in the parks and as was my case, near the end of a group of finishers, they will stay close by in case they are needed. Just know that if you do need to stop that it could take a bit of time to get taken back depending on where and when.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsie View Post

You can stop at any point along the course and ask for transport back. Last year, I signed up for the PDC and hurt a tendon very badly during the 10k. I walked the half for a little over six miles and I was still ahead of pace, and probably could've finished if I pushed, but the pain was excruciating and I couldn't take it anymore and didn't want to injure myself even worse. I stopped and told them that I hurt too much to continue. They brought a golf cart and picked me up -- we went through back stage areas and they picked up a couple others, too. They transported me directly to the medical tent to be checked out. So don't worry if you can't finish it, it happens and they'll get you picked up if you need it, no matter the distance you've gone. And they're really nice and wonderful about it, too. They're there to help.

Blog Entries

And for those of us who have been up the past few years for the 5:00 a.m. Neverland 5k start, it appears according to the runDisney site that the Neverland 5k start is now 5:30 a.m. Schweet!

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Two bits of Tinker weekend news:

1. Tinker Bell 10k bibs are back open up on the runDisney site (assume that they pealed apart some of the Challenge bibs)

2. If you are traveling thru LAX from May 12th thru 16th, be aware that there is a MAJOR terminal swap planned for that weekend. More details here. Timing is everything...

RunningFool

Tink course info is up. Says the 5k is starting at 5am. So guess we will have a bit of an earlier wake up for this one. This is our first Tink race. Is it normally not much time in DL?

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Tink course info is up. Says the 5k is starting at 5am. So guess we will have a bit of an earlier wake up for this one. This is our first Tink race. Is it normally not much time in DL?
    I never looked at it before and think its odd - but the map is very similar to 2016.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Thanks olegc. Didn't think about looking up the past maps.

when construction started I think that the route has less going through DL and more through DCA now.

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

Well I just looked up my corral and I'm very very happy. All of my hard work got me into the B corral this year!

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

For those who've run the Neverland 5K before, do runners walk from the parking structure into Disneyland for the start? I've never done a Disney race that didn't start on Disneyland Drive before!

Quote Originally Posted by laurensweb View Post
    For those who've run the Neverland 5K before, do runners walk from the parking structure into Disneyland for the start? I've never done a Disney race that didn't start on Disneyland Drive before!
    Same here. We are going to take the shuttle from the Anabella to the drop off so I was assuming we would just go through the check where it would normally be in the day and into the park to find a spot for it. I know it doesn't have corrals assigned but does it still have it where they let you out in sections like you normally would with corrals?

Blog Entries
    Same here. We are going to take the shuttle from the Anabella to the drop off so I was assuming we would just go through the check where it would normally be in the day and into the park to find a spot for it. I know it doesn't have corrals assigned but does it still have it where they let you out in sections like you normally would with corrals?
    Yes, you will go thru bag check at the normal locations and yes, there are 'corrals' but they are self-managed so the sooner you arrive, the better one you'll get. There will be one on either side of Walt's statue by the castle and then down for the length of Main Street.
    RunningFool

That is what I figured from things I read in the past. Thanks RunningFool. Now trying to figure out what time we need to wake up since my friend will take a little longer to get ready probably and when the shuttle will leave. I am one of those that likes to get there early on and when I am with my son its easy to do so. Which we always do and get near the front of our corrals. With this I figured being walkers if we are near the front one we will stay at the back of it and to the side.

Blog Entries
    That is what I figured from things I read in the past. Thanks RunningFool. Now trying to figure out what time we need to wake up since my friend will take a little longer to get ready probably and when the shuttle will leave. I am one of those that likes to get there early on and when I am with my son its easy to do so. Which we always do and get near the front of our corrals. With this I figured being walkers if we are near the front one we will stay at the back of it and to the side.
    Yeah, the 'oh dark ugly' wake-up call is rough for this one but soooooooo worth it.
    RunningFool

Wondering how the move to have no character photo ops will affect future 5K sign ups. It seems like a big part of the runDisney experience, especially for the shorter distances. The premium price becomes less justified to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Wondering how the move to have no character photo ops will affect future 5K sign ups. It seems like a big part of the runDisney experience, especially for the shorter distances. The premium price becomes less justified to me.
    No character ops? Really? How new is that? I thought we had some last year at the Disneyland 5k. I usually can't get an op since I'm so far back in the group but I live seeing the characters out and about with runners. Will this effect other distances?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

All we saw in the course was Hook and Smee at one point to the side. They had a few people dressed as pirates but that was it. I didn't even notice the 2 mile marker and realized when I got to dtd where it must have been. I don't know if it's typical for this to place just the same music over and over like today or not much around but after doing the Superheroes and Star Wars ones it was disappointing doing the 5k this morning with not much going on during it. Not much cheering or anything. It just felt kind of sad for me. While my friend had fun, this was her first rundisney event.

I know that if this is how it will be for future ones I might rethink doing them myself.

Blog Entries

Based on AVPs tweet this AM I am curious about the 10k start. It looks like the move the corral entry point. Is that the case? With the 5k sparseness and the chaos this AM did something change at runDisney? New operations people? Lower budget? Hmmm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reports from FB groups on the 10K suggest that characters were on the course for the race today. Some are suggesting that they were hastily added. I have no proof of the hasty part, but there's plenty of photo evidence of characters on the course.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013