Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Star Wars Rebels Interactive Adventure and the new Rogue One Trailer

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Star Wars Rebels Interactive Adventure and the new Rogue One Trailer

Star Wars Rebels Interactive Adventure and the new Rogue One Trailer by Todd King

A new augmented reality (AR) experience awaits those with augmented wallets; the new Rogue One preview asks if you're with Jyn

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Interesting speculation about SWL's potential premium paid immersion. I generally like the ideas you're proposing, as a more immersive experience for those not wishing to spend the extra money for a costumed adventure still reap some benefit from those who do. We've seen Star Wars characters scattered about as background in the films, each with their own story, so the concept that blends park guests acting as this scenic entourage is intriguing.

One thing we should all remember is that this expansion project is, by square footage, the largest single themed area ever built at DLR. The scale of the project, in terms of filling this space with interesting attractions, is also an important consideration as we've already learned because of the shape of the space and what SWL borders. Therefore, at least to me, it seems pretty reasonable that the flow of guests in and out of SWL could be eased by offering daily themed adventures, since those guests would likely stay inside the SWL themed area longer (attractions, dining, and adventure) than general park guests.

Another thing to remember is that the creative minds at Disney are reaching a nexus between Imagineering glory and premium pricing for that glory. The prices keep climbing, the restrictions on AP's keep growing, and some of the Parks' original low or no cost services are dying away. A greater percentage of DLR's experience is becoming a premium priced series of options for the wealthy or once-in-a-lifetime guest. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that these advanced, immersive experiences will continue to inspire greater levels of spending by guests, but, after all, guests do want that inside experience. Just look at how impressive D23, the half-marathons, and other special events have become. Guests want exclusive memories, and they're willing to pay for it.

Lastly, if there ever was going to be a themed land where guest immersion was at its highest, geekiest point, SWL would be it. Cosplay, conventions, and all the other fan driven peripheral experiences have been very popular over the years. People wearing Star Wars costumes out in public are now far more accepted as fandom is hitting mainstream America and the world. I know I'm also speculating here, but if Disney offers guests to help play a part in the overall, immersive stage that SWL is being promoted as, who'd say no? Imagine walking into the Cantina and experiencing the same shock that Luke had in Ep. IV?, only this time, you wouldn't know who's a cast member and who's a guest.

It would be a risky move for Disney, but the reward would be life-changing.

Great comments, goalieump413! You have very good points.

Quote Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
    ... it seems pretty reasonable that the flow of guests in and out of SWL could be eased by offering daily themed adventures, since those guests would likely stay inside the SWL themed area longer (attractions, dining, and adventure) than general park guests.
    I understand your thinking and it makes me wonder if this is the thinking of Disney parks, too. I hope it is not the way they will go. Massive crowds are a big problem already and it seems their way of dealing with it in the past few years is to keep raising prices. These little price hikes do not seem to deter the deluge of guests 365 days a year. As we've seen, it hasn't slowed the guest-population. So, with the addition of Star Wars, Avatar, Toy Story, etc. are they going to double-down on this philosophy? I really hope there are better methods of crowd control than raising price barriers. Imagineering shouldn't be limited to the mechanics of ride-design but should include the creativity to find ways that make these experiences accessible to as many guests as possible.
    ~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

I'm with you on this. My aim was not to inspire a directed marketing campaign aimed at those guests willing to spend proportionally more than I would, it's just that the trend away from low cost or free "plusses" as Walt called them and towards premium pricing disturbs me. As technology continues to evolve, shaped by profits, we as guests will likely be forced to choose between the lite version of DLR, and the full version, enabled by apps and reinforced by peer pressure (being left out if we don't pay extra).
    Put another way, "extra" ceases to exist, and is replaced by redefining the true DLR experience; one that costs more than we initially expected. Car and video game companies do it, so why not Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
    Car and video game companies do it, so why not Disney?
    You could be more right than you know. Disney will do it bigger and "better" and they'll get their customers, but what they make in exponential profits could leave out some people, some of whom might be their most ardent fans. We'll have to wait and see but it feels like some changes are on the way and what better time to make those ticket/admission/experience cost changes at the same time?
    ~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)