Accommodations: Standard
    Ages Represented in Group: Adult
    Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: Veteran & Occasional
    Comments: Ladies trip!
    Cast of characters:
    • Pam, 55: trip planner/writer and self-proclaimed Disney Queen
    • Danni, 54: Pam's BFF

The Planning

In late 2015 I was planning out my Disney trips and wanted another trip on my annual pass before summer hit, so I decided on May 14-17, 2016 after checking on Grad Nite dates (must avoid!). My hubby James wasn't too interested in coming back so close to our January trip (hey, that was 4 months ago!), so I asked my best friend Danni to join me. (Danni was very supportive when I was going through treatment for breast cancer two years ago, and I wanted to show my appreciation!)

Lodging: In mid-October, I made reservations at the Anaheim Del Sol Inn on Harbor Blvd. (a 5-minute walk from the parks; total for 3 nights = $363).

Transportation: I booked airfare on Southwest Airlines from Sacramento to Orange County in mid-November when there was a fare sale using points (equivalent cost = $76 each way); total TSA fees & Early-Bird option came to $36.20 round-trip (without points the total cash cost would have been $177). Danni decided to fly out of Santa Rosa, which was the closest airport to her home, via Alaska Airlines and booked her flights in late January ($199 round-trip). She would land about 90mins after me on Saturday and then depart about 4hrs before me on Tuesday.

I also made reservations with SuperShuttle for travel to/from our motel ($18 round-trip for each of us after the AAA group discount was applied).

Tickets: I have an active Deluxe AP and am blocked out on our arrival day (May 14), and I bought Danni a two-day park hopper ticket back in early February via my work's corporate link before the prices went up a few weeks later ($213.75).

Priority Seating: I knew when I was planning this trip that I would be on a weight loss program with Kaiser Permanente, which meant that I would be strictly on protein shakes & bars (I did this at Walt Disney World in 2008, and knew what it would entail beforehand); therefore, I made no reservations and will just get a diet soda whenever Danni eats!

Disney Visa Rewards Card: I had accumulated an $83 rewards balance on my Disney Visa Rewards Card (DVRC) since I had last redeemed rewards for my trip to Disneyland in January so I transferred the moneywhoo-hoo!

The Itinerary

The pre-planning was done, and we were ready to go! Here was our planned schedule:
    • May 14: Fly down to Anaheim; check-in to the Del Sol Inn; Downtown Disney
    • May 15: Disneyland/DCA
    • May 16: Disneyland/DCA
    • May 17: Check-out of the Del Sol Inn; Disneyland/DCA; fly home

Friday, May 13, 2016 (pre-departure date)

Actual: I worked all day and printed off my boarding pass (A25 = Early Bird check-in), then I got my nails done (one had broken the night before; otherwise I would have waited until I came home). Since James wasn't going this trip, it didn't take me very long to pack (!) and I had time to watch The Amazing Race with him before showering and getting to bed around 9:45pm.

Saturday, May 14, 2016 (72o)
    Plan: Fly down to Anaheim; check-in to the Del Sol Inn; Downtown Disney

Actual: I woke up a few times during the night before waking up for good around 6am; I watched TV for a bit and then got up around 7:20am to feed Sidney & take my medications. I got online to enter both James & I in the Disneyland 60th anniversary weekly sweepstakes (word-of-the-day = Autopia) & checked email, before James got up around 8:10am. I finished getting ready, said goodbye to Sidney, and we left for the airport around 8:40am. We had a Saturday-morning-light commute and James dropped me off curbside about 30mins later.

We said our goodbyes and I got in line to check my suitcase; I would have preferred to just take a carry-on, but with all of my food products & shaker bottle I needed the extra room of a larger bag! I was done within 10mins (16.5#) and took the people-mover to the main terminal. I had enrolled in the TSA Pre-check service the month before, so I was done with screening very quickly (no line & no problems with my carryon!).

I filled my reusable water bottle and sat down in a quiet section of the terminal (in the opposite direction of the Southwest Airlines gates). I updated my trip notes and killed time until I could drink my next supplement around 10:20am; at that time, I purchased a COLD bottle of water ($2.99) to mix with the powder. After quickly drinking it, I stopped in the restroom to wash & dry the bottle, and then headed for my gate around 10:35am.

Note: while I was waiting in the terminal, they were boarding the first flight to Orange County which was running about 40mins late. I laughed when I heard them calling for 2-3 people by name and the rep said if you show up with Starbucks coffee, I'm going to shut the door on you and let you enjoy your coffee in the terminal!

They started pre-boarding a few minutes later, and I was lucky enough to snag the aisle seat in the emergency exit row! We had a pretty full flight, but I was lucky enough that the middle seat stayed empty. We pushed back on-time at 11:10am and I was happy that most of the kids & babies on board (and there were a LOT) were in the back of the plane.

I drank Diet Dr. Pepper and pocketed the pretzels for Danni (they ended up going to James when she never ate them!); the first half of the flight was pretty bumpy & I was glad to have my headphones on to drown out the kids.

We arrived 5mins early at 12:30pm & I hit the restroom before collecting my suitcase. I hiked down to catch my SuperShuttle van & boarded right away; we left around 1pm and had a VERY entertaining driver who quizzed us with US history trivia the entire way! I was very happy to be the first one dropped off around 1:25pm at the Del Sol Inn.

My room wasn't ready yet, so I waited in the nice air-conditioned lobby until it became ready about 2:15pm. I checked in at that time and was given #237 over the carport as I had requested. The clerk gave me two warm chocolate chip cookies and I hauled my stuff up to the room & cranked the A/C.

I quickly got settled and received a text from Danni that she was on her shuttle; I replied back to text me when she got off of the freeway. I went down to get some ice from the machine to put in my water bottle & chill in preparation for my next shake while I waited; when she texted me again, I went down to meet her by the lobby just before 3pm. We brought her stuff up & I had my next shake, then we left for Downtown Disney around 3:30pm.

We walked through World of Disney and checked out the various menus along the way so Danni could decide where she wanted to eat dinner. She was very interested in the live music at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at 7pm, so I checked at the podium for a reservation. They were fully booked, but told us to come back as standby around 6:30pm and they would see what they could do. We had 3 hours to kill, so we walked down to the Disneyland Hotel and I showed her around the grounds. I showed her the cool animated park map in the lobby, we looked through the store, checked out the monorail pool, & also the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad model in one of the tower lobbies.

Around 4:30pm we found two seats at the bar in Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar; Danni ordered The Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum drink and Panko-Crusted Chinese Long Beans & I had a diet coke (10% AP discount). It was very crowded, but also a fun atmosphere, especially when certain drinks were ordered!

We left around 5:30pm and we walked over by the wedding garden; the Cinderella coach was there & Danni really enjoyed seeing it (too bad we didn't see the bride arrive in it ~ that would have been really cool!).

We headed back into DD and looked through the retail store at the Rainforest Cafe, but neither of us bought anything. We both really enjoyed hearing Home from The Passion soundtrack as we were walking around though!

We next went to the Grand Californian Hotel (GCH) and stopped to use the restroom; James called at that time so I called him back when we were done ~ he wanted to remind me that today was the last day to buy Disney Dollars (unfortunately, they were all sold out everywhere around the resort already ).

We hung out in the lobby for a while & I had another shake; then we went into the hotel store to do some shopping. Danni bought a pink Mickey shirt for herself and a blue one for me (they had the 2nd one discounted; total was less than $60). We walked around the grounds and Danni checked out the spa, before we headed back to RBJK.

We were lucky enough to find a bar table to sit at & were surprised that the band was about to start their set; I thought it was only 6:30pm, but my watch had stopped for about 30mins at some point this afternoon & it was actually almost 7pm! We had a great time listening to the band Crawdaddio (Cajun/Zydeco music) and had a FANTASTIC & attentive server (AJ). Danni had the spring rolls & some soup with a couple glasses of pinot while I had Diet Coke (total was about $62, after tax & tip & my 10% AP discount).

We stayed long enough to hear part of the second set, and then left around 8:45pm (although I thought it was only 8:15pm!). DD was VERY busy this Saturday evening, plus there had been a lot of prom dates around too. Danni joked with the Security CM at bag check; fortunately he had a good sense of humor & didn't pull us aside for additional screening!

We walked through the Esplanade and to The Cove Market on Harbor Blvd.; I bought 2 gallons of water ($9.60) and Danni got some hairspray, Tums, and a yogurt parfait for under $5. We walked back to the room around 9:15pm to drop off our stuff, and then went up to the roof of the Anaheim Desert Inn next door to see the Disneyland Forever Fireworks Spectacular around 9:30pm; they were unfortunately cancelled, so we went back to the room. I showered & updated my trip notes while Danni got into bed around 10:30pm; I followed around 11pm.

Steps: 11,348
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

2. # ADS

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Sunday, May 15, 2016 (71o) ~ Part I
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA

Actual: I had a restless night of sleep, plagued by leg cramps (not enough water yesterday); when the alarm went off at 6:30am Danni said that she had slept like a rock! I had a shake and Danni ate the yogurt parfait from last night (which wasn't very good it turned out). We got ready and left around 7:45am for Disneyland; bag check was quick and we were through the turnstiles at 7:55am (word-of-the-day = Zephyr).

I led us down Main Street and to the left of The Hub to wait for rope drop at 8am; at that time we power-walked over to Peter Pan's Flight and rode within 15mins. We next went to ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in less than 5mins (Weasel) and then stopped at the restrooms by Village Haus Restaurant; I should have pointed out the old Fantasyland Skyway station to Danni, as it has now been demolished as part of the upcoming Star Wars Land construction. 

Danni wanted to ride Dumbo the Flying Elephant, so we waited about 10mins to do that...

...then we went to ride Alice in Wonderland (15mins) around 9am. Both Peter Pan & Hook were posing for pictures nearby, but Danni wasn't interested in doing that this trip.

We walked over to the Matterhorn Bobsleds and decided to ride it via the Single Rider queue; this was a smart choice as the line was quite long at this point. I had read that they now had padded seats, but that didn't help my poor knees that kept hitting the back of the seat in front of me (that night I noticed the bruises on both knees)! The ride was still so rough; I declared to Danni when I met back up with her at the exit that I was good for several more years ~ LOL!

We next went to ride the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage around 9:25am and boarded the next sub (Argonaut) within a few minutes. Afterwards we headed over to Adventureland & hit the bathrooms along the way. I bought a bottle of COLD water ($3.23) at the place outside of the Jungle Cruise and then we got Fastpasses for Indiana Jones Adventure at 10am (10:40am).

I mixed up my shake and drank it, and then we headed out to The Hub. Danni stopped to get coffee from the ODV cart and then we watched Beauty and the Beast at The Royal Theatre at 10:15am (HUZZAH!)...

...it was great as before but Danni also would have liked to see the Frozen version too. 

After the show, we walked over to pick up FPs for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at 10:40am (11:20am)...

...and then rode Indy with the earlier FPs (fun!).

We were off at 11:10am and we hit the restrooms in New Orleans Square; afterwards we saw that the Haunted Mansion FP machines were open so we snagged some at 11:25am (12pm)! Danni wanted a snack so she bought some Cheetos and a frozen strawberry lemonade from a nearby cart; she enjoyed these while we walked over to ride BTMR with our earlier FPs around 11:35am (standby = 30mins). This was the first time Danni had seen the new additions to the last inside hill & we both really enjoyed it!

We next walked over to the Golden Horseshoe Saloon and went inside; Silver Dollar Six was entertaining the growing crowd.

We found some seats in the second row and sat down to watch them while I had another supplement. We next watched The Laughing Stock Company show at 12pm; I really enjoyed this show because Danni was chosen to be in it!

Afterwards, we walked over to ride the HM with our FPs; standby was pretty long so we were glad we had gotten these earlier!

We next crossed back over to get FPs for Hyperspace Mountain at 12:50pm (8:20pm = VERY popular ride today!) and then we headed towards the exit. I stopped at City Hall to confirm all Disney Dollars were sold out (they were) and then we continued on to Disney California Adventure around 1pm.

We went to get FPs for Soarin' Over California (3pm) and then crossed back over for the Chase Disney Visa meet & greet in Hollywood Land; we waited about 20mins to see Daisy who was very sweet & posed us both for the picture!

We crossed back over to the Smokejumpers Grill just before 2pm and I snagged us a table outside while Danni went inside to order. She finally reappeared about 15-20mins later with a bacon cheddar burger & soda for her and a large Coke Zero & cup of ice for me. I mixed up a shake and we enjoyed our meals while people-watching the passing crowds.

When we finished, we walked over to see It's Tough to be a Bug just before 3pm and only had to wait a couple of minutes for the show. Afterwards, I led us through a bug's land so Danni could see Cars Land. We stopped to watch Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters for a few minutes and agreed we wouldn't want to wait more than a few minutes for it!

We next went to ride Soarin' with our earlier FPs around 3:20pm and then stopped at Kingswell Camera Shop to view our meet & greet photos. I discovered that you now 'own' these photos on your PhotoPass account, but can still purchase a 4x6 hard copy for $1 + tax so I bought two (one for me & one for Danni) ~ yes, I know ~ Costco would still be a lot cheaper!

...to be continued...
    Pam
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Sunday, May 15, 2016 (71o) ~ Part II

We left DCA and went back to DL around 4:15pm; we found a spot along The Hub to watch Mickey's Soundsational Parade when it passed by after 4:30pm...

...and then we went to see the Tangled show in The Royal Theatre at 5pm ~ again very good!

We walked into Adventureland so I could buy another bottle of COLD water ($3.23) and I had another shake; we then hit the restrooms and Danni decided to get one of those Dole Whips she had heard so much about! I advised her to buy it from inside the Enchanted Tiki Room waiting area (that line is almost always shorter) and then we went in to sing with the birdies at 5:40pm.

...to be continued...
    Pam

Sunday, May 15, 2016 (71o) ~ Part III

Afterwards we walked past the Snow White Grotto and then went through the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough; our next destination was the Mickey & the Magical Map show at 6:30pm, which we both really enjoyed.

The line at it's a small world was really short, so we next went on that & I pointed out the various Disney characters that have been added throughout the attraction. We then went to the Galactic Grill for dinner around 7:30pm. I got a small Coke Zero ($3.20, after my 10% AP discount) and Danni had the Chopper Salad.

After we finished eating, we went into the Star Wars Launch Bay for the Chase Disney Visa meet & greet with Kylo Ren just before it closed at 8pm.

There was no wait for him and Danni got annoyed when he kind of turned his back on her for the picture & ignored her!

We next went to see the Path of the Jedi, which really makes you want to watch the older movies again!

Our FP window for Hyperspace Mountain was now open so we went there ~ we both LOVED it!

The restrooms at the ride exit were closed for refurbishment, so we tried to get over to the ones by Alice; however, the CM wouldn't let us cross over and made us go back to the ones by Autopia! 

We were getting tired so we headed over to Main Street Photo to see the Kylo photos; I bought two 4x6 & one 5X7 ($4.32) while Danni stopped at the Corn Dog Wagon around 9pm. We watched a bit of the Paint the Night Parade when it passed by...

...& I had a protein bar while we waited for the fireworks to begin at 9:30pm. Unfortunately, they were again cancelled but they did play the finale music & showed the projections on the Main Street buildings (5min show) ~ I guess it was better than nothing!

Afterwards, we headed back to the room; I stood outside to call James around 10pm while Danni went up to get ready for bed. When I was done I came upstairs, showered, iced my knee & foot, & updated my trip notes. Danni was in bed before 11pm & I followed around 11:30pm.

Steps: 22,821
    Pam

Monday, May 16, 2016 (70o)
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA

Actual: I slept better this time, although a leg cramp did wake me up for good around 7am! Danni got up around 7:30am and we did the same morning routine as yesterday. We left around 8:50am and found HUGE lines at bag check; we went to the far left and fortunately found a line that was feeding two checkers!

We went to DCA and were through the turnstiles by 9:15am (word-of-the-day = Rocket); normally I would avoid the park that has early entry, but since Danni only had the two days we needed to split our mornings between the two parks. We first picked up FPs for Radiator Springs Racers (12pm) and headed toward Paradise Pier; Danni stopped for coffee & a croissant from the ODV cart at the bridge and sat down with me on a nearby bench to enjoy her treat.

Afterwards, we walked over to ride Toy Story Midway Mania!; standby was posted as 25mins, but we were on in 15mins. I beat Danni 153,100 to 59,000, but she had a higher accuracy rate (32% vs. 27%)!

We stopped at the restroom near the ride exit and then decided to skip California Screamin'. We walked around Paradise Bay and stopped near Goofy's Sky School so I could buy a cold bottle of water ($3.25) around 10:25am; I mixed up a shake as we sat in the nearby dining area.

Our next stop was The Little Mermaid-Ariel's Undersea Adventure (5mins) and then we walked over to Cars Land to ride Mater's Junkyard Jamboree around 11am (15mins); that was a lot of fun!

We next walked over to get FPs for Soarin' around 11:15am (11:55am) and then picked up FPs for tonight's World of Color show (BLUE). We crossed back over to Hollywood Land to ride Monsters Inc., and then had no wait to meet Minnie around noon for the Disney Visa meet & greet (she was very sweet!).

Danni needed to print off her boarding pass so we crossed back over to exit DCA into GCH to ask the hotel staff for help; afterwards we found some ice cold water by the lounge & I used it to mix up a shake around 12:25pm.

We headed back into DCA and picked up new FPs for Soarin' (1:15pm), since the previous ones conflicted with our RSR FP return window. In fact, we were running out of time to use those, so we headed straight over to use them now ~ lots of fun!

We next went back to ride Soarin' with the 2nd set of FPs around 1:15pm and then walked over to Wine Country Trattoria for lunch; we waited a few minutes and then were seated. I had a couple of Diet Cokes while Danni had the Rustic Bruschetta appetizer, Shrimp Scampi, and some white wine. She enjoyed her food, but we didn't see our server very often to keep our glasses filled.

After we finished eating, we walked over to the Disney Animation building to see Olaf; however, the wait was over an hour so we decided to see Turtle Talk with Crush around 3pm since it was just about to start. I hadn't seen this in quite a few visits, and it was fun to see some of the new characters from the upcoming Finding Dory movie incorporated into the show.

Afterwards we did a little shopping in Elias & Co.; I ended up buying a glittery Cheshire Cat shirt ($29.11, after the 10% AP discount) and then joined Danni outside where she was watching the Red Car Trolley News Boys show.

When they were done, we went back inside to finish looking through the store; we admired the Dooney & Bourke 60th anniversary cross-body bag & Danni said that I should get one since it was just my color (blue & white)! I decided to hold off for now and then Danni stopped at Guest Relations to leave a written complaint about the lack of free Wi-Fi within the Resort (LOL) while I went to Kingswell to pick up the Minnie photos from earlier ($6.48).

We headed over to DL around 4:25pm and stopped for photos in front of the floral Mickey; Danni's youngest daughter had visited a few months ago & Danni wanted to match her pose in the same place & send it back to her! We also did photos together with a photographer.

I ate a protein bar as we walked into Tomorrowland and then we stopped at Star Traders so I could purchase the cute Stormtrooper helmet print skirt I had admired on my January trip ($45.63, after the 10% AP discount) as it will fit me much better now!

...to be continued...
    Pam

Monday, May 16, 2016 (70o) ~ Part II

I wanted to go see Kylo Ren again, but Danni didn't want to because she felt he had ignored her the day before; however she changed her mind and ended up giving him the business when we did the Disney Visa Star Wars meet & greet ~ it was pretty funny!

As we exited the meet & greet, a CM told us that we could see Boba Fett if we went around the corner and got in line; I was really excited about it and Danni was like who?!

We next went to see Chewbacca, who gave us big Wookie hugs; he liked us a lot!

We hit the bathrooms by Alice, and then headed over to ride Pirates of the Caribbean around 5:20pm; I thought the queue was a bit long and wanted to come back later, but Danni wanted to ride now. They put us in the back row & we had about an inch of standing water in the bottom! On top of that, going down the first waterfall soaked our rear ends ~ is this Pirates or Splash Mountain?!

I bought a cold bottle of water ($3.23) just after 6pm to make a shake & drank it outside of the Jungle Cruise; then we stopped to get the Kylo photo ($2.16) & also bought the AP special package where you got 2 sets of 4x6 photos plus a larger 6x8 ($21.55; no AP discount) ~ this gave Danni her own set of a couple of the non-Disney Visa meet & greet photos.

We browsed through the Emporium and then went across the street to the Disney Showcase, where I purchased a 60th anniversary lanyard ($14.57, after the 10% AP discount) just after 7pm. We also stopped to check out the Disney Gallery before heading over to DCA around 7:30pm.

We discussed dinner options for Danni and ended up at Lucky Fortune Cookery, where Danni ordered the orange chicken bowl and a Coke Zero, and I also had a Coke Zero. Unfortunately, Danni didn't care for the orange chicken and only ate half of it.

We sat there talking until about 8:35pm, and then walked over to the Blue viewing section of the WoC show; we walked partway up the bridge and stood behind the first row of spectators who were all sitting on the ground. I played the Fun Wheel Challenge at 8:45pm, once I finally was able to connect (I think Danni was texting her family since she didnt have any data left on her phone!).

We watched WoC at 9pm and Danni really enjoyed it!

The park was closed when the show was over, so we headed out with the masses; I was stopped to do a survey near the exit and then the DL fireworks began at 9:30pm! (I had a feeling they wouldn't be cancelled tonight, since we had gone to WoC instead!)

We headed back to the motel and I called James from downstairs while Danni continued on to the room; after I came upstairs I showered & updated my trip notes ~ Danni was in bed by 11pm & I was by midnight.

Steps: 18,020
    Pam

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 (74o)
    Plan: Check-out of the Del Sol Inn; Disneyland/DCA; fly home

Actual: I got up when the alarm went off at 7am & Danni followed about 20mins later; we both got ready and were about to go downstairs to check-out & meet Danni's shuttle when they called from the lobby to say that he had already arrived (10mins earlier than the start of their 15min window)! Danni & I said our goodbyes and she left, while I checked the room to ensure we hadn't left anything!

I took my bags downstairs and stored them with the staff after I checked out ($362.67); I was on my way around 8:40am! Wait ~ I was halfway to the Esplanade when I realized that I had left my reusable water bottle in the room fridge! (I had put it back in to stay cold and didn't recheck the fridge before I left the room ~ OOPS!) Oh well ~ back to the Del Sol to get a room key & retrieve my bottle ~ so much for getting in the park by rope drop!

I dropped the key card back at the office and headed back to DL just before 9am, where there were much longer lines than yesterday morning! I went to the far left again and was quickly through; no going through the metal detectors at all this trip (except at the airport)!

I was inside DL around 9:10am (word-of-the-day = Toad) and headed over to Tomorrowland; I picked up a FP for Hyperspace Mountain (10:55am) and then one for Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters since it is not connected to the grid (9:55pm). I rode standby since the wait was less than 5mins & scored 150,900.

I next posed for pictures in front of the Castle around 9:30am...

...and walked over to ride BTMR (5mins); my destination after that was another ride in a doom buggy on HM (walk-on).

I was also hoping to ride Indy using the single rider line; however that option was not available yet this morning (BOO) & standby was too long for my liking!

I bought a cold bottle of water from my usual place outside the JC ($3.23) and mixed up another shake around 10:20am, before heading back to ride Buzz with my FP; this time I scored 197,000!

Afterwards, I headed into SWLB and waited about 15mins to see Kylo Ren one last time ~ I told him I was there to join the First Order!

Boba Fett was out again so I went to see him next; imagine my shock when he told me it was nice to see a familiar facial scan (I'm guessing he recognized me from a previous day but I'm not sure which character he had been)! FUN!!!

I exited and picked up one last FP for Buzz at 11:10am (11:50am) and then one for Star Tours (12:05pm), before riding Hyperspace one last time this trip with my earlier FP LOVED IT!!!

I next saw Path of the Jedi again since it was about to start and then sat outside the show exit updating my trip notes & texting/uploading my SW photos while killing time to use my last Buzz FP at 11:55am (scoring 600 on one gun and then 97,500 on the other gun after I had switched over).

After exiting Buzz, I rode ST with my FP; the Episode 7 (Jakku & BB8) parts have apparently been randomized with the previous components now, since I had Darth Vader, pod race, Yoda & Coruscant as my experience.

I stopped to get another AP photo packet at the Camera shop ($21.55) and then paused to watch the band in front of the Fire Station.

I said goodbye to Walt & his lighted lamp in his apartment window...

...and headed over to DCA around 12:45pm. I bought a cold bottle of water from the shop by the bathrooms ($3.23) and sat down on a bench along Buena Vista Street to mix up a shake. As I sat there, I enjoyed listening to the Citizens of BVS interacting with guests across the street.

...to be continued...
    Pam

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 (74o) ~ Part II

I went to the Disney Visa meet & greet and waited to see Minnie again ~ a real sweetheart! I told her to tell Mickey I said hello.

There was a student drumline performing at the stage in Hollywood Land ~ they were very good! I also passed Captain America leaving his meet & greet area ~ very hunky! I miss Thor though~

I walked into the Disney Animation building, but there were no seats available in the lobby so I headed over to Off the Page; I looked around and bought a Walt D23 pin ($19.39, after the 10% AP discount) around 1:20pm.

When I came out, Five & Dime were driving past and there was Anders (Billy Hill and the Hillbillies) playing bass! I waved and called hello to him & he did his usual mugging; he is such a delight to watch!

I watched them for a song or two, then went into Elias & Co. to pick out that Dooney & Bourke purse that Danni had encouraged me to buy ($173.02, after the 10% AP discount; had I waited until Memorial Day weekend, I could have saved 30% online at the Disney Store because they were clearing out the 60th merchandise then!) ~ she was such a bad influence!

I checked at Kingswell for today's photo with Minnie, but they hadn't been uploaded yet & it was time for me to leave (BOO!).

I walked back to the Del Sol around 1:45pm, collected my luggage, and waited for my shuttle to pick me up (5mins early at 2:05pm). There were 2 people on board and we drove straight to the airport, arriving in about 15mins!

I checked in my larger bag (18.5#) and received my boarding pass (A53 Early Bird didn't get me too early a number this time; we must really be full!). I drank down my reusable water bottle and then went through the TSA Pre-check line (no actual line so I was through quickly).

My gate (15) was right at the TSA exit, so I changed my skort, refilled my water bottle, and sat down to update my trip notes while waiting for my flight. There were 2 VERY noisy kids playing nearby, which caused me to move to another seating area which was much quieter (although I could STILL hear them arguing after Id moved!).

Danni texted me that she had arrived home safely & I had a protein bar around 3:45pm. When I lined up for my flight, I got a bit annoyed when I found out there were some people interspersed within my grouping who had not paid for EB boarding, nor had they paid for a more expensive fare (I later emailed SWA to complain about it and of course their response was apologetic but unsatisfying in its explanation ) ~ I felt gypped!

The flight was completely full and I sat in the row behind the exit row since I wanted an aisle seat; otherwise I could have taken the middle seat with extra leg room in the row in front of me! Maybe next time~

We departed on-time & I drank Diet Dr. Pepper again; I took the peanuts and gave them to James later! Since my trip notes were pretty much updated by now, I just played Solitaire on my phone during the flight home.

We arrived on-time & I called James once I had deplaned; I collected my bag & James picked me up a few minutes later at the terminal (so convenient!) ~ we drove home and arrived around 7pm.

Steps: 14,784

Up Next: I am still interested in another quick trip before my AP expires at the end of August, so I have made tentative plans to go August 20-22; James thinks I am nuts because it is so hot at that time so we shall see what happens. If not, we have a 5-day trip planned with our nephew, his wife, & two kids in mid-November!

Summary

What a joy to spend some quality time with my BFF! I think she enjoyed it as much as I did.

Highlights include:
    • Spending time with Danni!
    • Our fun times at Trader Sam's & Ralph Brennan's
    • All of the Star Wars-related stuff: Hyperspace Mountain, Star Tours, Path of the Jedi, and the character interactions!
    • Seeing the Cinderella wedding coach again
    • Seeing the original Soarin' over California before it was replaced with the new film
    • Danni getting picked to be in the Laughing Stock show
    • The various live entertainment performances around the Resort

Lowlights include:
    • Missing my last chance to buy Disney Dollars before they were discontinued
    • Missing the fireworks and most of the Paint the Night parade
    • Seeing the original Soarin' over California for the (possibly) last time 
    • Not seeing the various Frozen-themed attractions that had been offered up until about a month prior (the singalong at DCA & the show at DL)
    • Getting bruised from riding the Matterhorn Bobsleds
    • Leg cramps

Until next time...
    Pam

Wow, great trip report, thanks for taking the time to write and post this!

Good luck with the diet, I hope it all goes well for you - I know it's not easy to do but it will be so worth it. I think you were incredibly brave to do this while at a Disney park, particularly with your friend tucking into yummy meals in front of you!

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Thank you for the nice comments!

I did miss some of the yummy things at the resort this trip, but I've lost 60 pounds so far & that makes it all worthwhile in the long run!

Pam

I'm on Monday, but needed to share before I forgot. When you get the leg cramps, have you tried mustard? Hanging around the marathoners here, they use it while running for cramps. I was able to get my mil completely OFF the medicine for restless leg by having her take magnessium (she has been on Prilosec and then Nexium for YEARS, both strip the magnesium out of you) and taking a teaspoon of mustard when the crampa were happening. Hers weren't just in her legs though, she even would get them in her rib cage. It took a few months but she says she doesn't even need the mustard any more.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I'm on Monday, but needed to share before I forgot. When you get the leg cramps, have you tried mustard? Hanging around the marathoners here, they use it while running for cramps. I was able to get my mil completely OFF the medicine for restless leg by having her take magnessium (she has been on Prilosec and then Nexium for YEARS, both strip the magnesium out of you) and taking a teaspoon of mustard when the crampa were happening. Hers weren't just in her legs though, she even would get them in her rib cage. It took a few months but she says she doesn't even need the mustard any more.
    Thanks for the tip! I haven't tried mustard...I just thought it was from not drinking enough water. Are you talking regular yellow mustard, or some other type? I have a new type of cramp that started a few months ago (other than the usual 'charley horse' type in the calf, & I have never had them in the rib cage unless I had run really hard, and who wants to do that at my age! )...these start around the outside of the ankle, and turn my feet in as the leg tightens! It happens mostly at night (when I have them, fortunately not a nightly experience!) but can happen if I am relaxing in the recliner with my feet raised. I have to stand up to straighten them out!

Come to think of it, I think my blood tests for magnesium during the liquid fast were a bit on the low side of the normal range, but the docs weren't concerned about it...maybe they ARE related?
    Pam

Plain old yellow mustard. Mil had been having some scary health problems involving nuerologists etc. When all the tests were coming back negative, we did some reading as thinking back the problems started after they switched her to the extended release form of the restless leg medicine she had been taking for years. She was going through a LOT of mustard those first few months but now doesn't even need it and quit having Restless leg syndrome all together. She had had it for years.

Oh, and wow I wouldn't have thought it was 2 years already.

Oh, and wow I wouldn't have thought it was 2 years already.
    I know - time really flies! (And so far, so good!)
    Pam

Trip Report!

Yaaaay!!! Great report Pam! thanks so much -- what a nice trip for two BFF's..... you are looking wonderful so while dieting is never fun, hopefully you are spurred on by your great results!

we'll be looking for your August report soon : - ) -- have a ball!

take care,

faith

PS -- my next (and last) trip to WDW is this November -- not renewing my AP so things will have to continue without me : - )

Thanks Faith! I haven't been to WDW since spring 2013, which is way too long! I'm hoping we get back in either late 2017 or early 2018, but that seems so far away... I hope you enjoy your trip to WDW in November!

Pam

Trip reort

Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    Thanks Faith! I haven't been to WDW since spring 2013, which is way too long! I'm hoping we get back in either late 2017 or early 2018, but that seems so far away... I hope you enjoy your trip to WDW in November!
    Wow! 2013 .....time for a trip...I've been watching all the new construction for the past few years so I figure I'll at least get to see some of it completed....lots of changes! Hopefully they'll run some good deals for the left coasters so you can enjoy too!

I've always wanted to see the original as Humph Humph we are the same age.. fortunately one of my techs lives in California when not on the research vessel and scored me some fun 60th anniversary swag which I was very grateful for!

Take care

F

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Hole Girl View Post
    Wow! 2013 .....time for a trip...I've been watching all the new construction for the past few years so I figure I'll at least get to see some of it completed....lots of changes! Hopefully they'll run some good deals for the left coasters so you can enjoy too!

I've always wanted to see the original as Humph Humph we are the same age.. fortunately one of my techs lives in California when not on the research vessel and scored me some fun 60th anniversary swag which I was very grateful for!
    I hope you get to DL sometime in the near future then; I love knowing that Walt walked around the very same park I do and that so much that he created can still be found!
    Pam

Trip Report

I love that idea too!! What an amazing man he was!

When you get the leg cramps, have you tried mustard? Hanging around the marathoners here, they use it while running for cramps. I was able to get my mil completely OFF the medicine for restless leg by having her take magnessium (she has been on Prilosec and then Nexium for YEARS, both strip the magnesium out of you) and taking a teaspoon of mustard when the crampa were happening. Hers weren't just in her legs though, she even would get them in her rib cage. It took a few months but she says she doesn't even need the mustard any more.
    Just wanted to say that I started taking magnesium (not in mustard form, but hubby had some softgels) after reading this and haven't had any leg/foot cramps since! (I hope I didn't just jinx myself) The true test will be when I am back at DL in about 10-12 days. Thanks again for the tip!
    Pam

Pam,
    You look wonderful my friend. I really enjoyed your trip report. While it's not DL my girls and I are traveling this weekend to Chicago for a fun girls long weekend. Being with someone that makes you feel loved and laugh with is the BEST!!

I look forward to your reports - Thanks!

Ellen

Nice. I was going to add that we had that happen with the voucher pictures one time. I called and they processed and sent me the photo. I faxed them a copy of the voucher. Of course, now they are downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ4Disney View Post
    Pam,
    You look wonderful my friend. I really enjoyed your trip report. While it's not DL my girls and I are traveling this weekend to Chicago for a fun girls long weekend. Being with someone that makes you feel loved and laugh with is the BEST!!

I look forward to your reports - Thanks!

Ellen
    Thanks Ellen! Next trip is Saturday (unfortunately with a bum knee, but I have a cane & crutch all ready to go!)...

Nice. I was going to add that we had that happen with the voucher pictures one time. I called and they processed and sent me the photo. I faxed them a copy of the voucher. Of course, now they are downloads.
    Yeah - I just like their copies for some reason...they are certainly cheap enough if you still want a 5x7 from them!
    Pam

Thanks for the fun (as usual) report, Pam! Looking forward to the August one.