Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - Dark Side

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - Dark Side

It is a weekend of galactic fun and fantastic runs during the Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side - at the Walt Disney World Resort. You'll be running on Darth Vader's turf with the Emperor's white uniformed stormtroopers cheering you on your way. Darth Vader, the Galactic Empire Sith Lord, has a weekend of powerful surprises in store including spectacular runs, special events, entertainment, and much, much more!

Feel the power of the force with runs for Star Wars fans of every age including the Star Wars Half Marathon, Star Wars 10K, Star Wars 5K, and the runDisney Kids Races. Challenge yourself to the ultimate test with the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge combining the Star Wars 10K and Half Marathon. It's all part of the Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side, April 20-23, 2017. Choose your alliance! Run for the light side or run for the dark side - and May the Force be with you!

Early AP/DVC registration opens Tuesday August 2nd @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

General registration opens Tuesday August 9th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

Entry Fees and Deadlines*

Star Wars™ Half Marathon – The Dark Side $185

Star Wars™ Dark Side Challenge $330

Star Wars™ 10K $120

Star Wars™ 5K $80

runDisney Kids Races presented by GoGo squeeZ Applesauce on the Go
    Dashes - $20
    Mile - $30
    Last edited by RunningFool; 08-01-2016 at 08:14 PM.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Looking at the website I see no evidence of the Kessel Challenge. Is that not happening next year?

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Quote Originally Posted by Nikara View Post
    Looking at the website I see no evidence of the Kessel Challenge. Is that not happening next year?
    It's on there, it's just buried. I found it by clicking on the FAQ link then clicking the question regarding the Cost to Coast Challenge which in turn contains a link to the 2017 CtC page which mentions the Kessel Run. Here's the direct link:

http://www.rundisney.com/coast-to-coast-race-challenge/

Quote Originally Posted by Jolie View Post
    It's on there, it's just buried. I found it by clicking on the FAQ link then clicking the question regarding the Cost to Coast Challenge which in turn contains a link to the 2017 CtC page which mentions the Kessel Run. Here's the direct link:

http://www.rundisney.com/coast-to-coast-race-challenge/
    Thank you so much! I guess I'm in!
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k

Quote Originally Posted by Nikara View Post
    Thank you so much! I guess I'm in!
    You're welcome! Maybe I'll see you there.

Also, for those of you looking to sign up for this race weekend, I've sent an email to Track Shack requesting clarification on the proof of time dates. The RunDisney site states you must provide proof of time by Jan 17, 2017 from a race on or after Jan 17, 2017. I'm hoping to receive a reply before registration day. If I do, I'll post it here.
    Last edited by Jolie; 07-24-2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: More info

I received a reply from RunDisney/Track Shack and they said they are fixing the typo. The correct info:

The proof of time deadline for the Star Wars Darkside of Jan 17, 2017 is correct. However, your proof of time race must be from a race run after April 1, 2015 and prior to the deadline.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolie View Post
    I received a reply from RunDisney/Track Shack and they said they are fixing the typo. The correct info:

The proof of time deadline for the Star Wars Darkside of Jan 17, 2017 is correct. However, your proof of time race must be from a race run after April 1, 2015 and prior to the deadline.
    Thank you! I'll mark my calendar accordingly.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Don't forget. Early AP/ DVC registration for the 2017 Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend opens Tuesday August 2nd @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

Race prices are listed in the first posting of the forum.

RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Don't forget. Early AP/ DVC registration for the 2017 Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend opens Tuesday August 2nd @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

Race prices are listed in the first posting of the forum.
    I'll by trying to get in through DVC, but I've never done that before. Is there a link on the DVC page? When I search runDisney on DVC's member page it gives me a general information page. (Sorry if this is not appropriate for this forum, if it needs to be moved I understand).

Thanks!
    Jen

Blog Entries

So, who registered via early AP / DVC 2017 Star Wars Dark Side this morning? Looks like early reg is going very smooth (and perhaps really slow...) - no events not even the 10k have gone on hold.

(All times Pacific)

10:00 a.m. - all events still open. no holds. Wow...

12:15 p.m. - the 10k is on hold - all other events are open

12:40 p.m. - the 2017 Star Wars 10k early AP/DVC registration is SOLD OUT. All other events remain open.

3:30 p.m. - unchanged since last update - one of the most anti-climatic early registration opens in recent memory

7:10 p.m. - will check in the morning but so far, only the 2017 Star Wars 10k is sold out for early AP/DVC registration...

Last edited by RunningFool; 08-02-2016 at 06:12 PM.
    RunningFool

I'm in for the challenge again!

I figured it out.

I'm in for the half.

I'm in for the 5K and Challenge.

In for the half.

Blog Entries

Well, it's Thursday August 4th - two days post-early opening AP/DVC registration. As of 1:15 p.m. Pacific, only the 2017 Star Wars Dark Side 10k is sold out. All other events continue to be open. Wow...

General registration opens Tuesday August 9th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific/ 12:00 p.m. Eastern. Should be a fun one to watch.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Quick reminder that registration for the 2017 Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon weekend opens tomorrow (yes, Tuesday August 9th) at 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

If early AP/DVC registration is any indication, the 10k will be the first to go. As of today, all other 2017 Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon events (including the Dark Side Challenge) are still open. Early AP/DVC registration closes tonight.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Welcome to registration morning!

As of 9:04 a.m. - the Star Wars Dark Side 10k is on hold. All other events are still open.

9:30 a.m. - all events are open

9:35 a.m. - 10k back on hold. All other events are open.

10:20 a.m. - 10k still on hold. All other events are open.

10:25 a.m. - the 2017 Star Wars Dark Side 10k is SOLD OUT. All other events are still open.

11:35 a.m. - well, looks like the 10k reopened. It's on hold but it's no longer showing sold out All other events are open.

12:30 p.m. - the 10k is again listed as sold out. All other events are still wide open...

3:15 p.m. - looks like we're in 'steady-state'. No changes since last update. At this time, only the 10k is sold out.

Last edited by RunningFool; 08-09-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Well, we were hoping they would do this during 2016 SW Dark Side but nooooooo, NOW they can turn Spaceship Earth into a Death Star?

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...+Parks+Blog%29

Let's hope they do this for the 2017 SW Dark Side races.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

If you want a preview of what Spaceship Earth looks like as the Death Star, Disney is live-streaming the change at 10:25 p.m. Eastern tonight.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...5-at-1025-p-m/

RunningFool

Blog Entries

And it appears that more spots in the 10k have opened up as registration this morning is showing open for ALL Star Wars Dark Side events! If you missed them the first time around, now's your chance to grab one (or two)!

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Well, not only did runDisney open new 10k spots, they also have released the 2017 Dark Side medals. You can check them out here on the runDisney Blog.

Thoughts?

RunningFool

Bleh Kylo Ren. Otherwise, pretty cool. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the 5K too. I usually don't...

I honestly love all the medals. Almost enough to make me throw caution to the wind and just register for it despite the lack of money for a cross-country vacation.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I really like the half and challenge medals. But, I need to simplify my life a bit next year, and we're already gonna be in the area for Celebration the week before, and extending our trip is too taxing.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

Just a quick reminder that proof of time (POT) is due by January 19, 2017.

If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 2:45 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement. Star Wars Dark Side Challenge participants should adhere to Half Marathon proof of time requirements. Proof of time is not required for the 5K and 10K races. Please reference the Race Pacing Chart below for finish times and associated pacing per mile. Please note we do not accept self-timed runs.

Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results on or after April 1, 2015 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time.

Half Marathon – 10K, 12K, 15K, 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon

A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following*:

Name of Race
    Distance
    City
    State
    Date
    Finish time
    Link to Results

*For example, Walt Disney World Marathon, 26.2, Orlando, FL, 1/10/16, – 3:35

For starting corral placement, proof of time must be submitted by the participant for each individual race.

If proof of time is not provided by January 19, 2017, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral. We do not accept self-timed, training or virtual runs.

No corral changes will be made after January 19, 2017.

Past runDisney races may be used as proof of time, however they are not automatically input for your race registration.

RunningFool