Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Theme park admission still offered to DLR runDisney volunteers?

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Theme park admission still offered to DLR runDisney volunteers?

[Updating the original post with the response from runDisney]

MousePlanet has long encouraged our readers to volunteer for the runDisney events at the Disneyland Resort, and this week published a reminder that volunteer registration for the Super Heroes Half Marathon weekend opens tomorrow.

Then OlegC alerted me to a change in the verbiage on the website, in which all mention of the complimentary theme park admission was removed from the volunteer appreciation section. In the past (and for the upcoming Disneyland Half Marathon weekend) , runDisney has offered a complimentary one-day Park Hopper ticket to all volunteers who completed two shifts Tuesday through Saturday, or one shift on Sunday. That may no longer be the case.

As Oleg noted, the website now mentions only the commemorative event shirt and the snack, but there is no offer of theme park admission. However, the site still makes mention of the "two Tuesday Saturday shifts or one Sunday shift" requirement, which implies there may be some other form of "appreciation" offered.

This new language is published for the Super Hero event, as well as the 2017 Star Wars - Light Side and Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekends. Complimentary theme park admission is still offered to volunteers at all of the 2016 and 2017 Walt Disney World runDisney events. I reached out to runDisney for clarification, but received an automated reply saying it could take 3-5 business days to receive a response.

Update: runDisney referred me to the volunteer registration page (which is now active because sign ups have begun). That page reads:

"Complete two assigned volunteer shifts between Tuesday and Saturday OR one shift on Sunday this event weekend to be eligible for (1) one complimentary 1 Day, 1 Park ticket (valid at Disneyland Park OR Disney California Adventure Park). Volunteer Appreciation earned will be distributed via email within thirty days of the event. *Subject to change "

The main runDisney volunteer page still does not reference the tickets.

Adrienne
    Last edited by AVP; 07-19-2016 at 09:09 AM.

2. # ADS

Thanks for looking into this

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

In 2014 I did it for the shirt. And it's a cool shirt, I wear it all the time. Last year, not so much. That lavendar shirt was inside out in the basket where I tossed it 5 months later. The real telling thing, to me, was when a couple of women in their 70s stopped me in front of DLH and asked where they could get a shirt that color. Come on runDisney, red, white, blue and lavendar?

Anyway, I not that I don't appreciate it, but I haven't even used my free ticket from last year yet. I'll still volunteer this year if I can get in, but like 2014 I might just do 1 shift.

From the volunteer registration site:

Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at the Disneyland Resort

VOLUNTEER SCHEDULING

Volunteer shifts will be restricted to two shifts Tuesday-Saturday OR one shift on Sunday per individual.

VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION

Each individual volunteer must check in, check out, and complete two assigned volunteer shifts between Tuesday and Saturday OR one shift on Sunday this event weekend to be eligible for (1) one complimentary 1 Day, 1 Park ticket (valid at Disneyland Park OR Disney California Adventure Park).

Volunteer Appreciation earned will be distributed via email within thirty days of the event. *Subject to change

VOLUNTEER INFORMATION

Thank you for volunteering on behalf of Anaheim 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) Adoption Committee!

Already have an account?

Not registered for this event yet?
    Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend Volunteers

November 09-13, 2016

Two wrongs may not make a right, but 3 rights make a left.

I was just coming back to post about my registration experience. It did say you get a 1 day, 1 park ticket for 2 shifts or Sunday, as stated above. Last year and for Star Wars it was a park hopper, but it was 1 park when I volunteered in 2013.

I wanted to do kids races, and I had them selected, but by the time I filled everything out they were full, as were expo shifts on Saturday. I took my second choice, which was a double expo shift. It did say you only had to fill out the lines marked with an asterisk, but then it wouldn't accept my registration unless I filled out the whole thing. I'm on an iPad, and the keyboard covered the drop downs, which was kind of a pain, especially for the Country field. It took me a good 15 minutes to complete everything. They also didn't use Active, so I had to create a new account, unlike in the past where I just signed in. Hopefully next year I can just sign in.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well that's confusing - it does not say anything on the runDisney volunteer page for SuperHeros but the Marine Volunteer registration page does say you get a ticket. Why not have the same exact content in both locations - unless runDisney is really pushing off duties to each volunteer organization to handle it. Its just odd - you'd think they would be consistent.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    you'd think they would be consistent.
    There you go thinking again.

I love how Disney gets around labor rules by having you volunteer for the 'named charity' instead of for them.
    Cathy

I honestly really don't care about how or where they word the free ticket offer. It says on the main runDisney volunteer page that you may receive a variety of items from the charity, including theme park admission. So I was aware that I may not get it before I chose to volunteer anyway.

Last year with the value of the hopper being what it was, I did think that it was fair enough compensation. I've worked jobs for minimum wage where I worked a 12 or more hour day and walked away with less. Although minimum wage has gone up twice since last year.

But I did think it was a little bit awkward the last 2 times I volunteered that they tried to emphasize at the start of the shift that your efforts benefit the designated charities with a 2 sentence blurb on what the charity does (or less or Discovery Cube). It really seems that the efforts benefit runDisney, since the packet pick-up booths alone would cost them a good $1000/hr in labor on Thursday. And probably $500+ for t-shirt pick-up too. And combine that with the fact that they don't disclose how much of each race registration fee goes to those charities seems a little bit conspicuous. Now that the wording is we're receiving the park ticket from the charity, I think the difference is Disney donates the value of the park tickets to the charity, not directly to the volunteer. That may have always been the case for accounting, but now they're publicly phrasing it that way too.

None of which impacts the general volunteering experience, which has been generally positive so far.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I just received a response from runDisney, in which they directed me to the volunteer registration website. As others noted above, the registration page says:

"complete two assigned volunteer shifts between Tuesday and Saturday OR one shift on Sunday this event weekend to be eligible for (1) one complimentary 1 Day, 1 Park ticket (valid at Disneyland Park OR Disney California Adventure Park). Volunteer Appreciation earned will be distributed via email within thirty days of the event. *Subject to change "

So there is definitely a difference between the runDisney page and the volunteer page, but I'm glad they are still offering the ticket.

Adrienne

I just noticed this in my confirmation email for volunteering:

APPRECIATION
    The Disneyland Resort understands that, in the true spirit of volunteerism, you volunteer your time and services to make an impact for the community without expecting anything in return. As a volunteer for Star Wars™ Half Marathon – The Light Side Weekend, you will receive a commemorative event t-shirt, one snack per shift (if you have dietary restrictions, please plan accordingly), and if Volunteer Code of Conduct eligibility requirements are met - 1 (one) Theme Park ticket.

Individual Volunteers: Each individual volunteer must check-in, check-out, and complete two assigned volunteer shifts Tuesday – Saturday OR one assigned volunteer shift on Sunday to be eligible for the complimentary 1 Day 1 Park ticket (valid at Disneyland Park OR Disney California Adventure Park). Volunteer Appreciation earned will be distributed via email within 30 days of the event and will expire within 90 days of race weekend. Block-out dates may apply. *Subject to change.
    That expiration date is new. I still have my ticket from last year, it expires on the 22nd. I've meet some volunteers who like to volunteer for multiple races and give the tickets to families. It looks like the tickets we get this weekend will expire by the time Tink comes around. That's too bad.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Along with printing the volunteer's name on the ticket, and not allowing them to be transferred to another person unless the volunteer is there at the time of redemption, it seems that there is some fraud issue they are trying to solve.

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Does it say anywhere on their official website about requiring the volunteer to be there at the time of redemption in order for a ticket to be transferred? (Or where did this info come from?) Would just like to clarify for sure so my plans don't get ruined!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thewisherr View Post
    Does it say anywhere on their official website about requiring the volunteer to be there at the time of redemption in order for a ticket to be transferred? (Or where did this info come from?) Would just like to clarify for sure so my plans don't get ruined!
    AnotherJenny can probably give exact details, but I was told this is now printed on the voucher.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Thanks! The voucher simply says non transferrable, although I was under the impression that it was always there, and volunteers who have been working for awhile told me that ID isn't required. Hopefully this is still true.

I'm a little confused on the appreciation. I volunteered at the Star Wars 1/2 and have since received my ticket. Eticketing says it's non-transferable, only I can use the ticket. I'm an annual pass holder, so the ticket is useless to me, but I want to bring a friend. Any info is appreciated, RunDisney isn't responding to my email.

When I used a comp e-ticket with my name on it that I got through volunteering in November, I was asked for ID. My sister and I approached the turnstile together, I gave the CM the barcode on my phone and said it was for her, I was asked for ID and her picture was taken. I entered with my AP. I had given her a comp ticket to use before when they used to give us a physical ticket with no name on it without issue. I don't know if they consistently ask for ID or if I hadn't been there if she would have been allowed to use the e-ticket, I just know that the CM at the turnstile asked for my ID.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    When I used a comp e-ticket with my name on it that I got through volunteering in November, I was asked for ID. My sister and I approached the turnstile together, I gave the CM the barcode on my phone and said it was for her, I was asked for ID and her picture was taken. I entered with my AP. I had given her a comp ticket to use before when they used to give us a physical ticket with no name on it without issue. I don't know if they consistently ask for ID or if I hadn't been there if she would have been allowed to use the e-ticket, I just know that the CM at the turnstile asked for my ID.
    Thank you AnotherJenny!!!

For what it's worth, I used my comp ticket from SW in January today. This time we put it on my sister's phone. The CM scanned it, said it's a one park ticket, is she sure she wants to go to Disneyland and not DCA today and then handed over the ticket and reminded her she needed a hand stamp to reenter. My name was on the ticket, but she never even said it or asked.

I can't recall if it's been posted here, but all "volunteer" RunDisney positions are now paid positions through a temp agency. This is true even for corporate volunteer groups apparently. My understanding is they pay $13/hr.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    I can't recall if it's been posted here, but all "volunteer" RunDisney positions are now paid positions through a temp agency. This is true even for corporate volunteer groups apparently. My understanding is they pay $13/hr.
    I'm curious if that means they won't hand out Park tickets any longer to these "volunteers". And if you cloak the fee you pay to the temp agency as a "sponsorship" it works for both parties (nothing announced but that's what I would do).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I'm curious if that means they won't hand out Park tickets any longer to these "volunteers". And if you cloak the fee you pay to the temp agency as a "sponsorship" it works for both parties (nothing announced but that's what I would do).
    No idea. At Princess in WDW in February the volunteers were still volunteers in the true sense of the word (I asked a few of them). All of my volunteer efforts to date have been corporate group.

There's a RunDisney volunteer FB group that has details on how to sign up with Apple or one other temp agency.
    Reluctant Runner

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Steve's a few hours ahead of me (as usual). I've been working on this story since last week, but needed to do some digging and fact-checking.

Big changes in Anaheim as runDisney drops volunteers in favor of paid temps

Blog Entries

I read the summary and I wondered if it had to do at all with staffing of some parts of the overall services. Once all the shifts are gone to get u a ticket - maybe it was harder to fill those and the needed more people. Instead of spreading people thin, or having some paid and some not, then just make it all paid. Seema like they are trying to reduce the effort to manage signups as well as handing out volunteer benefits. Now they just leave it all to the temp agencies and pay one lump sum.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Steve's a few hours ahead of me (as usual). I've been working on this story since last week, but needed to do some digging and fact-checking.

Big changes in Anaheim as runDisney drops volunteers in favor of paid temps
    I've known this as a rumor for a few weeks (via the volunteer FB group). One of the FB volunteer group members posted the official response from Rd late last week. There are ways to do the temp agency interview without having to be present on-site and in-person so at least the out-of-towners can participate.

I really liked the volunteering from a corporate standpoint and am sad to see it go. I would have done it for free without the pass, but the pass was a great perk.
    Reluctant Runner

I assume they pay you $13 per hour and when you get your paycheck you're free to buy a park ticket if you so desire. I don't know why they would provide park tickets to temps. I wouldn't be surprised to see the free shirts disappear too.

I'll just say that I witnessed some things during my last expo shift that doesn't surprise me that they want paid staff who have possibly been vetted for some experience and not have to train a new set of volunteers twice per day because everyone is limited to just two shifts.

Although I think it would have been nice if they had at least allowed some volunteers at the water stations or passing out medals. But I can understand why they'd want staff to handle bibs at this point.