Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Theme park admission still offered to DLR runDisney volunteers?

The thing that caught my attention was the background checks. Were there any background checks done by Disney for volunteers? Since this is a Disney event I can only imagine the potential for bad press if an unpaid volunteer was accused of extreme inappropriate contact (sexual or otherwise) of if a person who is on the sexual violators list serving as a volunteer (whether or not that person is harmless).

2. # ADS

I'm sad to see volunteering go. I cannot believe for a minute that paid temp workers are going to really care the way the volunteers did during the race. I will miss the authentic chearing and rooting us on that came from within the community. Also you would really have to work alot of hours under the new system to earn that free park ticket, because of the way they are contracting you will have money held out of your check for taxes and all of that stuff.... And i feel bad for all of those who counted on volunteering as a way for there families to be able to attend the parks economically.

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

My suspicion is on misconduct but not on the harassment side. Many organizations move to background checks because of problems with fraud. I wonder if they were having problems with some of the volunteers at registration/bib pick up, and decided that if they were going to switch some volunteers, they would switch them all. This is pure speculation, but some misconduct in handling bibs or special merchandise like the limited edition pins may have prompted some of this change, along with the lawsuit mentioned in the article. I definitely wish that they would keep using volunteers for water tables and medal handing out, since those tasks have less risk, and you generally want a more personal experience.

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

I can tell you that our corporate group (2 teams) always got selected for water tables, and we always got assigned to stations inside the parks. We had some problems that Disney didn't like (and told us about). After that, we weren't always selected and when we were, we got assigned to the later stations outside the parks.

I'm not 100% sure that the water station teams are temps; I'll ask my corporate contacts. They may still be manned by corporate teams.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013