Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Saratoga or Coronado for August?

Saratoga or Coronado for August?

Hi everyone! I'm here to ask for your help in planning a quick trip in mid-August to celebrate my 22nd birthday.

I'll be traveling with a party of 4, and everyone in the party has an annual pass. We can get a similar rate on 3 or 4 nights at both Saratoga Springs and Coronado Springs with our passholder discount, and since none of us has stayed in either one, I'm looking for a little advice! We visit WDW several times each year, usually staying at POFQ during the summer, but since their main dining area will be down at this time, we are thinking we'd like to try someplace else. Thank goodness I got plenty of beignets and one last look at the old dining area when we stayed at POFQ in May!

The rates are quite reasonable this late in the summer, and Saratoga seems like a really good price for a deluxe/DVC resort. I've never even visited this resort, but based on videos/photos I've seen online it seems elegant, and reminds me a little of the Boardwalk. Plus, it has a great location near Disney Springs, plus boat transportation. But I've looked at photos of Coronado, and it has a little more colorful theming. I'd just like a second opinion from someone who's seen one or both of these resorts in person! We'd be doing a studio at Saratoga most likely, and a standard or preferred view room at Coronado. I spent a few nights at Caribbean Beach in March, and have stayed in POR twice before, so Coronado is one of the last moderate resorts on our Disney bucket list, but I think I'm leaning towards Saratoga just because of the lower-than-usual rate. Thanks for your input, and have a magical day!

Emma

Emma

2. # ADS

Mack and Katie's Mom

Personally I'd go for Saratoga as it's more village like. I'd be concerned about any conventions or anything like that going on at Coronado.

Currently having WDW withdrawals.
    Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go back!
    WDW - 7/83, 7/86, 3/00, 1/01, 1/03, 8/03, 1/04, 11/04, 1/05, 8/05, 9/07, 4/08, 2/09, 6/09, 6/10, 3/11, 11/11, 3/12, 6/13
    DL - 4/07

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's the bed situation at the Saratoga Studios? Is it a Queen and a Queen sleeper? Would two of the people be ok in the sleeper? If that's not an issue, I agree to go with Saratoga since it's a bigger discount.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    What's the bed situation at the Saratoga Studios? Is it a Queen and a Queen sleeper? Would two of the people be ok in the sleeper? If that's not an issue, I agree to go with Saratoga since it's a bigger discount.
    Saratoga studios only have one bed and a sleeper sofa. I found the sleeper sofa very uncomfortable when I slept on one in a Saratoga one bedroom.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Satatoga's theming is much more elegant--I personally love SSR and its convenience and open-Ness. Plus the Turf Club restaurant for lunch or dinner is a hidden gem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by hersheythecat View Post
    I'd be concerned about any conventions or anything like that going on at Coronado.
    I've never stayed in Saratoga, so I don't really have any input on the choice. I'd just like to say, though, that conventions really don't impact things much in the Coronado, as they have their own area and don't swamp the rest of the areas populated by regular park storming guests.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I've never stayed in Saratoga, so I don't really have any input on the choice. I'd just like to say, though, that conventions really don't impact things much in the Coronado, as they have their own area and don't swamp the rest of the areas populated by regular park storming guests.
    Agreed...we've stayed there a couple of times when there were conventions and there was no impact to us at all.
    Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

We haven't stayed at Saratoga either, so I can't comment on that. One thing I will say is that Coronado's location is great when you're using the busses. It is a short bus trip to Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios. Although it's a pretty good distance to Magic Kingdom, the resort is right off of World Drive, so that is a fairly quick drive too.

Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

I have also stayed at Coronado a bunch of times, and not previously had issues with conferences.
    I am going back mid Aug. We really enjoy this place.

IMG_0581001 by Frank Fasulo, on Flickr

The Coronado Springs Resort is my favorite of the moderates. I really like the layout, with rooms spread around the Lago Dorado Lagoon. And I really like the southwestern dcor!

- James Taylor

Coronado is great, just also be aware it is a very large area and will take a lot of walking to get from place to place there.

Depending on what section you're in. The Cabanas are right between the main pool and the central area, so your walking would be at a minimum. But you're right, there are some rooms that are a far cry from El Centro.

- James Taylor

Being that you are 22 you might be spending quite a bit of time at Disney Springs. When we stayed at the Saratoga it was very easy to walk over the bridge to the Springs.
    On the other hand, we have really enjoyed our stay at Coronado Springs. The resort has a great Disney feel and we didn't feel mobbed by the convention people. I imagine in August there won't be a lot of conventioneers in Central Florida.
    Have fun!

Just remember that August will be really hot and humid. If you choose Coronado please check out Buzz's site on how to lower the ac to really really cool. It sure saved me one September. Also try to stay close to the front where you can get food, etc. If you are driving, then get something in the back with a separate pool and just jump in your car and drive around. That's what I do to "beat the heat and save my feet!"
    If you think you will spend alot of time at Disney Springs then Saratoga is a better choice. For me the only drawback, and it's a big one, is the pullout extra bed. For me this is not a very comfortable option for adults. But that's just me.

I know you will have a magical visit no matter which one you pick!
    GnP