Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - Light Side

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Wow. Monetize as much as you can at every single touch point. Crazy...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Yup. One of my dear friends now compares Disney to how airlines do business where everything but the plane is extra. So true.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Next they'll have their own version of TSA Pre check so u want wait in line at security.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Sounds like what they tested at last year's Superheroes Half- private merch time and characters. Looks like they had pretty good feedback if they're gonna slap a $200 tag on it!

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Blog Entries

The announcement had no character reference but I would assume one would exist somewhere

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    The announcement had no character reference but I would assume one would exist somewhere

Assuming it's at the after-party.

Post-Race Celebration Party
    Private party at the ESPN Zone restaurant in Downtown Disney District
    Lunch buffet, unlimited arcade game play and exclusive Post Race Party Finisher Photo opportunity
    Sunday, January 15, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. or 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Assuming it's at the after-party.

Post-Race Celebration Party
    Private party at the ESPN Zone restaurant in Downtown Disney District
    Lunch buffet, unlimited arcade game play and exclusive Post Race Party Finisher Photo opportunity
    Sunday, January 15, 9:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m. or 12:30 p.m. 3:30 p.m.
    Ah, yes. Kind if a tight fit around ESPN zone, unless they only expect light attendance. I wonder if this will be treated like the Festival of Holidays booths or will be embraced.

Blog Entries
    Ah, yes. Kind if a tight fit around ESPN zone, unless they only expect light attendance. I wonder if this will be treated like the Festival of Holidays booths or will be embraced.

Unknown. Will be interesting to see how it does over and what reports we hear from attendees.
    RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with them offering a premium experience with additional benefits. I think some of the non-Disney races I've done offer additional experiences pre- and post- race, as well. None of what is being offered in these packages has any effect on me, except potentially the early merchandise shopping. I wouldn't think they'd offer enough spaces so that a particular merchandise item would be sold out just because of them, but even if that happens, it's just merchandise. Otherwise, all of the benefits are things that don't interest me, and rather than lumping them as part of the entire package and making me pay for something I don't want, I'd prefer they did it this way, offering it to someone who wants to do it. I don't care if someone else pays to do something I'm not interested in. It doesn't diminish from my experience if someone chooses to afford something I don't care to.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Having access to the VIP tent at WDW when I did the Runner's World Challenge was really nice, I have to admit.

2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - Light Side

I'm getting nervous for the 10k with the additional spaces opening up. We're walkers so they'll put us at the back of the corrals and having to start 60+ mins after the first corral means we are more likely to get swept.

-- Cindy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chahn View Post
    I'm getting nervous for the 10k with the additional spaces opening up. We're walkers so they'll put us at the back of the corrals and having to start 60+ mins after the first corral means we are more likely to get swept.
    You'll be fine. DLand Resort 10ks are only four or five corrals as the races are smaller than WDW and runDisney has to get everyone thru the parks and off the city streets much sooner than in WDW.
    RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    You'll be fine. DLand Resort 10ks are only four or five corrals as the races are smaller than WDW and runDisney has to get everyone thru the parks and off the city streets much sooner than in WDW.
    While I see that was the case with last time, it was the case with the Avengers 10k as well with having 5 but yet this last one had 7 corrals. The 5k for Super Heroes had one more corral added as well I noticed too. So who is to say that it isn't 2 more added in to the Star Wars as well? Sadly we have no idea how many until that info is out there.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chahn View Post
    But the 16 minute mile minimum requirement is the same no matter which corral you're in. Usually for the 10K, I start about 30 minutes after the race starts, being in the last corral. One tip - make sure you're at the front of whatever corral you're in. Just get there early and you'll be sure to be in the front. I'm mostly a walker as well, and being at the front of the corral means I usually have an extra couple minutes cushion while the rest of my corral crosses the start line. Don't stop for pictures or restroom breaks, and you'll be fine! Have a good race!
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    While I see that was the case with last time, it was the case with the Avengers 10k as well with having 5 but yet this last one had 7 corrals. The 5k for Super Heroes had one more corral added as well I noticed too. So who is to say that it isn't 2 more added in to the Star Wars as well? Sadly we have no idea how many until that info is out there.
    True dat but you may find the time out is still the same with more corrals as they shorten the time between releasing them. Every year seems to be different as runDisney tweaks their processes.
    RunningFool

Anyone planning to dress up in costume? I haven't come up with any new ideas, so may be the same Hoth Rebel as the past two events.

2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - Light Side

I'm wearing my "Ahsoka Lives" shirt with the headpiece I made for my daughter's Ahsoka Halloween costume. I might make the Rebels outfit belt to hold my phone & small stuff.

-- Cindy

I have two costumes for the two Star Wars races, but I'm seriously debating which I'll use for which. I'm bringing back my Rey costume from last year with some additions (pants that are closer to the right color and the complete arm sleeves) and I'm making a new costume for a new character- Jyn Erso's Imperial Ground Trooper costume. Theme-wise, it makes more sense to do Rey for the Light Side and Jyn for the dark-side (since she's dressed like an Imperial trooper). But weather-wise, it makes more sense to wear the Rey costume for the dark-side, since it is way, way lighter than the long-sleeved Jyn costume. Thoughts, anyone?

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

If I find a more suitable olive green tank, I'd repeat my Matt the Radar Tech from the Dark Side this past year. In florida I was prepared for the humidity and heat so I paired a mesh back tank with a mesh Orange vest.... But that would definitely be too cold for January in CA!

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Courses up for 10K and Half. I'll take a look at last year's maps to get an idea of changes.

Half

Edit:

Major changes for 10K;
    Starting in opposite direction (Heading towards convention center rather than heading towards Ball Rd.)
    Begin in DCA (no huge differences in landmarks passed)
    Come out through castle rather than entering castle (so pictures will have you coming out front of castle)
    No DTD portion (get back to hotels via roads behind DCA)

Major changes for half:
    Opposite direction start (similar to 10k)
    DCA first (no major differences in landmarks passed)
    Tunnel-->Disneyland
    Very little time in Disneyland; mainly the same parts as the 10K without the diversion through Frontierland to Haunted Mansion and back
    Enter Harbor via Esplanade
    Everything is the same from that point

Last edited by SoCalBruin; 12-20-2016 at 12:03 PM.

This makes me happy. My knee was not happy after the hill last year at the beginning. I was dreading having to go up that hill. LOL

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Corrals, waivers, and official maps are up! Corral A for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBruin View Post
    Corrals, waivers, and official maps are up! Corral A for me.
    And take note that there is an error on the Challenge corrals. Time required jumps from 1:50, 2:00, to 2:29 then back to 2:15, 2:22, 2:31. Should have been 2:09. Oops...

Also note an email went out last night saying 'last minute registration' will be available for the half marathon during the expo at Runner Relations.
    RunningFool

Corral C for me for the Challenge. Can't believe it's only 19 days. This training cycle has been a struggle for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Corral C for me for the Challenge. Can't believe it's only 19 days. This training cycle has been a struggle for me.
    Me too and I'm only doing a 10k

And as to the email sent with last minute. I did not get one and I wonder if I'm getting the usual email inconsistency from Disclosure EY properties.

Looks like 7 corrals for the 10k now. Was hoping for less but after comparing the last 2 Super Heroes/Avengers ones this doesn't surprise me. As well as them having it all open for so long like they have.