Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - Light Side

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - Light Side

Choose your Destiny! There’s a run for Jedi Knights and Padawans of every age and skill level including the Star Wars Half Marathon, Star Wars 10K and Star Wars 5K, and the runDisney Kid Races. Put yourself to the ultimate test and join the Star Wars Rebel Challenge combining the Star Wars 10K and Half Marathon for an out-of-this-world running adventure. As Jedi Master Yoda says, “Do or do not. There is no try!” So DO be a part of the Star Wars Half Marathon– The Light Side Weekend, January 12-15, 2017.

With early registration starting in less than two weeks (June 7th) and general registration following the next week (June 14th), it's time to start a new thread for the race. As of today, no word on prices but I expect to see them posted soon after the Memorial Day weekend.

There is also no current mention on the site of the Kessel Run Challenge so fingers crossed it will return in 2017.

Entry Fees and Deadlines*

Star Wars Half Marathon

$185

Star Wars Rebel Challenge

$330

Star Wars 10K

$120

Star Wars 5K

$80

runDisney Kids Races presented by GoGo squeeZ Applesauce on the Go

$20
    Last edited by RunningFool; 06-03-2016 at 05:29 AM.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Is it common that they discuss C2C medals in the weekend description? I don't see why they would remove the Kessel Run medal since it seemed incredibly popular and the Star Wars races are among the more popular races (after January flagship weekend).

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think they mention the C2C (generally) in the 'first weekend' information. If they have announced the second race then. That was one of the issues with Kessel: they didn't announce a special C2C until after the DL race was sold out.

Cathy

Blog Entries

It's also a bit odd that SW Dark Side hasn't changed dates for 2017 but Tink has. The DS site just says Information for the 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side is coming soon! Please continue to check back for updated information.

Curiouser and curiouser...

RunningFool

I'm really tempted to go for the Kessel Run medal next year, but I'd want to make sure I could actually get it before signing up!

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    It's also a bit odd that SW Dark Side hasn't changed dates for 2017 but Tink has. The DS site just says Information for the 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side is coming soon! Please continue to check back for updated information.

Curiouser and curiouser...
    I would suspect it has to do with Star Wars Celebration (the largest and official Star Wars expo) occurring around that time in Orlando next year. They might be trying to work around that.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBruin View Post
    I would suspect it has to do with Star Wars Celebration (the largest and official Star Wars expo) occurring around that time in Orlando next year. They might be trying to work around that.
    but if you do it on an alternate weekend - do you risk losing participants because travelling to Orlando for two weekends is prohibitive to some?
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

oh, and I intend to register for the 10K

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    but if you do it on an alternate weekend - do you risk losing participants because travelling to Orlando for two weekends is prohibitive to some?
    I'm assuming there's a few lines of thinking:

a) Do it the same weekend and risk losing fans who will be at Celebration and don't want to spend hours running when they can be in line to see some special presenter
    b) Do it a nearby weekend and risk losing fans who don't want to travel in for two separate weekends
    c) Do it a completely different time (perhaps earlier in March or even end of May)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBruin View Post
    I'm assuming there's a few lines of thinking:

a) Do it the same weekend and risk losing fans who will be at Celebration and don't want to spend hours running when they can be in line to see some special presenter
    b) Do it a nearby weekend and risk losing fans who don't want to travel in for two separate weekends
    c) Do it a completely different time (perhaps earlier in March or even end of May)
    Key point is runDisney has already published the SW DS dates (April 20 - 23, 2017) so those who have already made travel arrangements are going to be most unhappy and may have change fees if it does bump. However, they did this once before with Princess so it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Key point is runDisney has already published the SW DS dates (April 20 - 23, 2017) so those who have already made travel arrangements are going to be most unhappy and may have change fees if it does bump. However, they did this once before with Princess so it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary.
    runDisney has finally updated the SW Dark Side site - confirmed for April 20 - 23 so if you're considering going for both SW races in 2017, you can now plan accordingly.

Early AP registration for SW Light Side opens Tuesday June 7th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern. General registration opens Tuesday June 14th (same times as AP). No sign of pricing yet but will post as soon as it's available.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Pricing for the 2017 event is now posted in the first message. Interesting that the cost of the half marathon has actually gone down ($185 from $199 for the 2016). There is no change for the Challenge, the 10k has gone up $10 and the 5k has gone up $5. Unlike 2016 pricing, there are no tiers.

Last edited by RunningFool; 06-03-2016 at 05:45 AM.
    RunningFool

We'll be in DL on Tuesday during AP reg so I am signing up for the RC through a travel agent this year to save a little stress. I'll need tickets anyway for that trip since we're not renewing our APs. I need to sign DS up for the kids races still so I guess there will still be some Tuesday stress. I'll give it a shot on my phone on Tuesday and if it doesn't work out I'll just try again during normal reg.

Interesting to see the price drop for the half. I'm tempted to drop down to just the 10K, but I do enjoy the Star Wars races so will likely do the challenge again to keep my streak alive.

Blog Entries

Just a reminder that early AP/ DVC registration opens TODAY (Tuesday June 6th) at 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

If you are trying to get in early (and remember there are very limited spots available...), it helps to have your Active.com account open and be logged in to the Disneyland/ Disney World site (you can go to either depending on your pass) to cut down on time to navigate and input data.

Good luck. May the force be with you. : )

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Ready!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Ready!
    in for the 10K

In for the Rebel Challenge!

10K and Kids Races are "On Hold"

Got my son registered for the half. I'll be doing Rebel Challenge with Team Muscle Makers!

5K on hold now, too.

ETA: Looks like they are going on and off of hold. Keep refreshing if you're trying to get in!

Blog Entries

9:10 a.m. - 10k and kids races on hold
    9:18 a.m. - 5k now also on hold
    9:20 a.m. - all events now back open
    9:21 a.m. - 10k, 5k and kids races back on hold
    9:25 a.m. - all events now back open
    9:26 a.m. - 10k back on hold
    9:35 a.m. - 10k and kids races on hold - all other events open
    9:50 a.m. - 10k, 5k, and kids races on hold - challenge and half marathon still wide open...
    10:00 a.m. - 10k and kids races remain on hold - all other events are open
    10:10 a.m. - early registration for the 2017 SW Light Side 10k is officially SOLD OUT
    10:10 a.m. - 5k and kids races on hold - all other events open
    11:05 a.m. - early registration for the 2017 SW Light Side 5k and kids races is officially SOLD OUT! The half marathon and challenge remain open.

Last edited by RunningFool; 06-07-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    RunningFool

In for the Rebel Challenge!

I'm in for the 5K. also my friend Tracey is in for the 5K too.

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

11:00 a.m. AP Registration 10K and Kids Races sold out, 5K on hold

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

Blog Entries

just for fun I looked at last year's AP sale for the 2016 race and these were the sellout times (based on posts on Mousepad)
    10:10 -challenge
    10:23 - 10K and Kids
    10:47 - 5K
    the half and cheer squad did not sell out during the AP reg 1st day.