Thread: Let's Hear it for the Band!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Let's Hear it for the Band!

Let's Hear it for the Band! by Todd Pickering

Todd checks out the tunes at Disneyland

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I like Blue Swede's version of Hooked on a Feeling but BJ Thomas' version is definitive to me.

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

I have learned many things while following the many music acts around the resort. I finally picked up on that the 'old' Disneyland Band broke up into the different groups on Main Street: Fire & Rescue and Strawhatters. There is a female singer ( I think her name is Melanie) who I first saw as Queenie at NOS in 2005. She has sung on the Royal stage and at the old Carnation Plaza on weekends. She was also part of the Minnie's singing group outside Soarin'

For the Dapper Dans; its even more extensive: After the recasting in 2006, Bill (baritone) now sings and plays with the Bootstrappers along with Tim (guitar) Tim is on the Shave & A Haircut CD.
    I've also seen Euluus ? (baritone) singing at the Fanstasyland theater (the Coronation show, before Mickey & Magical Map) Both Nathan & Drew were Mad Hatters at DCA. Nathan has been the MC-host at the El Capitan pre-shows. I saw him at Wreck It Ralph. And Drew has been one of the soloists at the Christmas shows for a few years now.

Last but not least, The Mad T Party band: they have another band set up "Hiatus" and have done shows at HOB. the various members also have other local gigs in the area.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sorry - I'm one of the ones that preferred the old band. Why? Its part of Main St. The fact that this new band performs in front of Frontierland is true proof that current management does not believe in "placemaking" that was one of the original designs of the park. As an entertainment unit in and of itself, the New 60th band is a great addition. Their sets are tight, the arrangements great, and yes lots of energy. To me, though, its a full frontal distraction to dissuade you from thinking about what Main St. should make you feel. The 60th Band is not The Disneyland Band, no matter what. Call me old fashioned, or a historian (in this respect only - other parts of change I like) but that's my opinion.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Great start in critiquing the bands of Disneyland! I was always the one who did not pay much attention to the bands until my brother introduced me to the music around Disneyland. Boot Strapper Bill's were one of my favorites. Are they still performing? Got to love a banjo!

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    sorry - I'm one of the ones that preferred the old band. Why? Its part of Main St. The fact that this new band performs in front of Frontierland is true proof that current management does not believe in "placemaking" that was one of the original designs of the park. As an entertainment unit in and of itself, the New 60th band is a great addition. Their sets are tight, the arrangements great, and yes lots of energy. To me, though, its a full frontal distraction to dissuade you from thinking about what Main St. should make you feel. The 60th Band is not The Disneyland Band, no matter what. Call me old fashioned, or a historian (in this respect only - other parts of change I like) but that's my opinion.
    I totally respect your opinion and I had taken those very opinions into consideration before researching my article. I also found 3 photos of the Disneyland Band playing in Frontierland from what looked like the 60s and 70s as they all had different uniforms. So it isn't new to have them play there from what I can tell. I think the band uniforms would only really work in Frontierland (as opposed to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland) and New Orleans Square (but in NOS there is a lot of music already.) I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, as MAIN ST. USA is indeed the best home for the band but I just didn't want folks to discount such a great set of Wild West music. And just pointing it out as an option to the Main St. sets. I would love more folks to weigh in on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    I have learned many things while following the many music acts around the resort. I finally picked up on that the 'old' Disneyland Band broke up into the different groups on Main Street: Fire & Rescue and Strawhatters. There is a female singer ( I think her name is Melanie) who I first saw as Queenie at NOS in 2005. She has sung on the Royal stage and at the old Carnation Plaza on weekends. She was also part of the Minnie's singing group outside Soarin'

For the Dapper Dans; its even more extensive: After the recasting in 2006, Bill (baritone) now sings and plays with the Bootstrappers along with Tim (guitar) Tim is on the Shave & A Haircut CD.
    I've also seen Euluus ? (baritone) singing at the Fanstasyland theater (the Coronation show, before Mickey & Magical Map) Both Nathan & Drew were Mad Hatters at DCA. Nathan has been the MC-host at the El Capitan pre-shows. I saw him at Wreck It Ralph. And Drew has been one of the soloists at the Christmas shows for a few years now.

Last but not least, The Mad T Party band: they have another band set up "Hiatus" and have done shows at HOB. the various members also have other local gigs in the area.

Whoa. You really know your musicians. I know that the BOOTSTRAPPERS recognize me for sure but sometimes that makes me feel like a groupie....which I guess I am....I have also heard that many of the members have bopped around from group to group but have yet to notice that. I have found that by covering the entertainment beat that I have almost never seen the STRAW HATTERS or since I never cared for the French Market Restaurant I had rarely seen the ROYAL ST. BACHELORS so my learning curve is great. I am looking forward to taking two 5 year olds and a 6 year old to review DISNEY JR as I have never had a cause to get there. Thanks for your comments. So great!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracemountain View Post
    Great start in critiquing the bands of Disneyland! I was always the one who did not pay much attention to the bands until my brother introduced me to the music around Disneyland. Boot Strapper Bill's were one of my favorites. Are they still performing? Got to love a banjo!

Thanks TM!? Do you mean Billy Hill and the Hillbillies that were at the Golden Horseshoe or the Pirate band which are simply called the Boot Strappers?

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    I totally respect your opinion and I had taken those very opinions into consideration before researching my article. I also found 3 photos of the Disneyland Band playing in Frontierland from what looked like the 60s and 70s as they all had different uniforms. So it isn't new to have them play there from what I can tell. I think the band uniforms would only really work in Frontierland (as opposed to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland) and New Orleans Square (but in NOS there is a lot of music already.) I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, as MAIN ST. USA is indeed the best home for the band but I just didn't want folks to discount such a great set of Wild West music. And just pointing it out as an option to the Main St. sets. I would love more folks to weigh in on the matter.
    Oh dear...I am quite mad.....my newest critique talks about The Disneyland Band in Frontierland....I was trying to keep the first one about Main St. only. I forgot that I broke it into a two parter due to more bands to cover. My bad. My mad.