Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2017 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Walt Disney World Half Marathon!

It's the 20th Anniversary of the Walt Disney World Half Marathon presented by Cigna and we're celebrating with a spectacular weekend of amazing runs and endless fun in the most magical place on Earth. Perfect for the whole family, this memory-making weekend is chock full of fantastic runs including the Walt Disney World Marathon, 20th Anniversary Half Marathon, Dopey Challenge, Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge, 10K, 5K and runDisney Kids Races. Plus, there'll be plenty of Disney entertainment, your favorite Disney characters, a Pasta Party in the Park, 20th Anniversary Half Marathon tee-shirts and finisher medals, and much, much more! It's all part of the 20th Anniversary celebration of the Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Don't miss out! Register today!

[Early AP/ DVC registration opens 4/19/2016 @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern - General Registration opens 4/26/2016]

Entry Fees and Deadlines

Dopey Challenge presented by Cigna
    $560

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge presented by Cigna
    $365

Walt Disney World Marathon presented by Cigna
    $180

Walt Disney World Half Marathon presented by Cigna
    $180

Walt Disney World 10K presented by Cigna
    $110

Walt Disney World 5K presented by Cigna
    $65

runDisney Kids Races presented by GoGo squeeZ Applesauce on the Go
    Dashes – $20
    1-Mile Run – $30

Disney Castaway Cay Challenge*
    $70*

* A reservation on the January 9, 2017 Disney Dream 4-Night Bahamian Cruise is required in order to participate. Disney Cruise Line availability for the January 9, 2017 is limited. It is recommended that you register for your Disney cruise PRIOR to registering for the Castaway Cay Challenge. If your Disney Castaway Cay Challenge spot is forfeited for any reason, the race fee is non-refundable. Please refer to Disney Cruise Line for cruise refund policies.

Race Retreat Packages
    $120 Half Marathon Package
    $120 Full Marathon Package
    $230 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge Package
    $230 Dopey Challenge
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

ooh Interesting! I did not know it was the 20th Anniversary of the Half! I am going to finally pull the trigger on Goofy and sign up
    tomorrow. So excited that the Half Medal may be a special design. Whee!!!

Blog Entries

So did anyone else notice on the email from runDisney announcing WDW pricing that they have the Goofy Challenge listed as a Half and a 10k? Verified on the runDisney site that it remains the half and the full.

Ooops...

RunningFool

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    So did anyone else notice on the email from runDisney announcing WDW pricing that they have the Goofy Challenge listed as a Half and a 10k? Verified on the runDisney site that it remains the half and the full.

Ooops...
    I confirmed with runDisney personally that the email was a typo.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Don't forget that early AP/ DVC registration for the 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend opened this morning at 9:00 a.m. Pacific. There was an initial queue but now it seems to be going straight to registration.

General registration for the races (including the 20th anniversary WDW Half Marathon) opens Tuesday April 26th.

Good luck everyone!

9:09 a.m. - Dopey Challenge, 10k and 5k on hold. All other events open.

9:22 a.m. - Dopey, 10k and 5k still on hold. All other events open.

9:32 a.m. - Dopey, 10k, and 5k still on hold. All other events open.

9:50 a.m. - 5k SOLD OUT. Dopey and 10k still on hold. All other events open.

10:15 a.m. - 5k, Dopey, and 10k SOLD OUT for early AP/ DVC registration. All other events open.

12:40 p.m. - Dopey just re-opened for early AP/ DVC registration!

12:41 p.m. - Dopey back on hold.

1:05 p.m. - Dopey has returned to SOLD OUT.

Last edited by RunningFool; 04-19-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    RunningFool

Does anyone know if there is actually a verification process for AP registration? I just wonder if non-passholders get the link from friends and register early without getting caught.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Does anyone know if there is actually a verification process for AP registration? I just wonder if non-passholders get the link from friends and register early without getting caught.
    From what I understand, yes there is a process. Became a big issue about a year ago when runDisney did a verification and removed non-AP / DVC registrations AFTER general registration opened but events were closed. It's why they went to the 2 week lag between registration windows so they had time to check. Now I've heard they offer less in early AP/ DVC spots so they can get verification complete in one week if they do bump people out but still allow them to register in general reg.
    RunningFool

From what I understand, yes there is a process. Became a big issue about a year ago when runDisney did a verification and removed non-AP / DVC registrations AFTER general registration opened but events were closed. It's why they went to the 2 week lag between registration windows so they had time to check. Now I've heard they offer less in early AP/ DVC spots so they can get verification complete in one week if they do bump people out but still allow them to register in general reg.
    When I registered this morning, I could only register myself. Then had to go all the way out, sign into my husbands AP account and register him. Glad it didn;t sell out while I had to do all that. But that keeps passholders from registering non-passholders..i guess.

Blog Entries

And as of Wednesday evening, early AP/DVC registration is still open for Goofy, WDW Marathon, WDW Half Marathon, and kids races. Think we're going to see a repeat of Super Heroes next Tuesday when general registration opens?

Last edited by RunningFool; 04-21-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Well, somewhere during the morning, early registration for the 2017 WDW Half Marathon sold out. Early registration is still open for the WDW Marathon, Goofy Challenge, and kids dashes.

Just a reminder that general registration opens Tuesday April 26th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Registration opens this morning - 9:00 a.m. Pacific/ 12:00 p.m. Eastern - for the 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend. Expect the 10k, 5k, and Dopey to be the first to sell out but the 20th anniversary WDW Half Marathon may be a spoiler in that prediction.

Good luck to everyone registering today. Drop a note here and let us know what event(s) you are doing.

9:15 a.m. - after the queue opened at 8:58 a.m. I was dropped into registration about 9:05. As of this moment, only the 10k is now on hold.

9:18 a.m. - both the 5k and 10k are now on hold.

9:26 a.m. - after a brief moment when all events were open, 5k and 10k back on hold.

9:45 a.m. - 5k and 10k remain on hold. All other events open.

10:35 a.m. - 5k and 10k SOLD OUT. All other events open.

12:00 p.m. - Looks like you have your pick of Dopey, Goofy, Marathon, Half Marathon, and kids races. Sure miss the capacity counter they used to use...

Last edited by RunningFool; 04-26-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

It's 9:40 am and it looks like both the 5K and 10K are on hold now.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    It's 9:40 am and it looks like both the 5K and 10K are on hold now.
    Yup. They were first on hold around 9:15 a.m. and except for one brief 'blip' have been sitting there. Running a time report above.

And how are you doing after your last week's fun?
    RunningFool

Well, I did it!

I registered for my first full marathon!

This was the most trouble I've had registering for a Run Disney event. I've never been "on hold" before! I was trying to register for both DH and myself, so I was on my phone for one and my laptop for the other, but we're in!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Well, I did it!

I registered for my first full marathon!

This was the most trouble I've had registering for a Run Disney event. I've never been "on hold" before! I was trying to register for both DH and myself, so I was on my phone for one and my laptop for the other, but we're in!
    Woo Hoo!!! Have fun!
    Cathy

Registration opens this morning - 9:00 a.m. Pacific/ 12:00 p.m. Eastern - for the 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend. Expect the 10k, 5k, and Dopey to be the first to sell out but the 20th anniversary WDW Half Marathon may be a spoiler in that prediction.

Good luck to everyone registering today. Drop a note here and let us know what event(s) you are doing.

9:15 a.m. - after the queue opened at 8:58 a.m. I was dropped into registration about 9:05. As of this moment, only the 10k is now on hold.

9:18 a.m. - both the 5k and 10k are now on hold.

9:26 a.m. - after a brief moment when all events were open, 5k and 10k back on hold.

9:45 a.m. - 5k and 10k remain on hold. All other events open.

10:35 a.m. - 5k and 10k SOLD OUT. All other events open.

12:00 p.m. - Looks like you have your pick of Dopey, Goofy, Marathon, Half Marathon, and kids races. Sure miss the capacity counter they used to use...
    I am signed up for the Goofy Challenge! Wow! Can't believe it is really going happen. No more talking about it..just doing it! Hubby is in for the Half Marathon. Who else is coming??

Good luck to all you out there that registered! Running my first full next year at LA but I hope to do the Dopey challenge when I finish up grad school and licensure in 5-6 years.

Blog Entries

Well, it's 7:30 a.m. Pacific on the day after registration opened and only the 5k and 10k are sold out. All other race events are still open. Of course, we don't know how many spots are left in each but it does appear that the runDisney registration frenzy from the past few years may finally be fading.

Update: It's 10:00 a.m. and the 2017 WDW Half Marathon (20th anniversary) is now officially SOLD OUT. Dopey, Goofy, and the WDW Marathon (as well as kids races) remain open.

Last edited by RunningFool; 04-27-2016 at 09:03 AM.
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update: It's 10:00 a.m. and the 2017 WDW Half Marathon (20th anniversary) is now officially SOLD OUT. Dopey, Goofy, and the WDW Marathon (as well as kids races) remain open.
    ...and if they can't sell out of Goofy for a while, they will wind up lowering the capacity for it, to release some more spots for the half, I suspect.

Interesting that Dopey hasn't sold out, since they historically don't have too many bibs for that. Guess a lot of people are either put off by the huge price tag, or they don't want to get up at 3:00 am four days in a row (like me).

By the way Alex and I are signed up for the full.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

One week after the opening of general registration. Dopey, Goofy, and the WDW Marathon are all still open. Not a surprise for Goofy and the marathon which traditionally are slower to sell out but really surprised about Dopey.

RunningFool

One week after the opening of general registration. Dopey, Goofy, and the WDW Marathon are all still open. Not a surprise for Goofy and the marathon which traditionally are slower to sell out but really surprised about Dopey.
    I believe the "nightmare" of .005 second sell outs is over!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBruin View Post
    I believe the "nightmare" of .005 second sell outs is over!
    True dat unless it's a 10k or inaugural race!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

By the way, if you are planning on getting to the expo early on Wednesday to purchase merchandise, you had better have purchased a race retreat package because apparently that is the only way to get in at opening...

Race Retreat

Wednesday, January 4, 2017
    10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Exclusive Early Access to the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Medals have been released. Kind of liking the half marathon (20th anniversary) and note the retro marathon medal!

2017 WDW Medals.jpg

RunningFool

If you're interested in the Runner's World VIP experience, they have added a marathon and Goofy Challenge option. You can use the code WDWVIP25 to get $25 off.