Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: New DVC Resales Restrictions

New DVC Resales Restrictions

In an announcement today, Ken Potrock (DVC SVP) announced new restrictions to benefits available to resale purchasers after today including discounts on dining, shopping, and access to member-exclusive events.

DVC announces new benefit restrictions to resales buyers

DVC Mike

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think overall what has made a lot of people upset is the fact that its one more perk taken away for those that buy resale. And of course, resale is like the only way to really buy in at this point.

However, I've seen more complaints about not having access to things like free/discounted dining and ability to book rooms.
    While I think that my savings as a DVC member is much, much more than getting a dining plan for free.
    I never seem to have an issue to book a room for when I want to go - as long as I plan properly.

It makes me wonder if members today dont understand what they bought into - and I say that respectfully.
    Did you buy in for perks or to get savings on rooms. Sure, we all like perks, but I will also say that the contract I signed was really clear as to what my membership ultimately provides.

I was chatting with a fellow MP'er on my FB page about this and I really think that DVC is trying to make buying direct look better than anything else. Though I think most people will see that if you run the numbers, a resale contract still is the way to go.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

This wouldn't deter me from buying resale over direct from Disney. If/when we buy, we would prefer a resort that's not available direct from Disney (BCV would be our first choice). And we aren't close enough to WDW that we'd go yearly so a WDW AP is out anyways. And we wouldn't do DLR enough for an AP now with kids in high school anyways.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    ...we would prefer a resort that's not available direct from Disney (BCV would be our first choice).
    Thats part of the rub. DVC can and does sell memberships to "sold out" resorts via acquiring points using their ROFR clause. So, you can buy a BCV contract, subject to availability, but it will also be at the going DVC rate. And here is the kicker... since the going rate is so high and some of those points from the older resorts were first sold at a much lower price point, even after DVC pays to acquire the points via ROFR they are making a serious profit margin on those resale points.

Flexibility is key here though... Being able to use points for nearly any sort of Disney vacation, DVC or not, is very attractive to some. That flexibility may be worth the going rate for some members. I mean, it was an attractive feature of our membership when we bought. It means that if we would want, we could do something not Disney related one year yet still get value from our membership.

Now, after being a member for better part of a decade, I can say to myself that while I am glad to be a direct buyer, I would not buy again directly. I just dont see using my membership for cruises, non-DVC resorts, or even RCI getaways. I mean, it hasnt happened yet... and I just dont see it happening anytime in the distant future. In fact, what most people do who already have restricted resale memberships is rent out their points and put the cash towards the non-DVC vacation. In most cases, its a better value that way.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Ok, we're just sort of starting to fringe talk about switching resorts we own. Currently we have SS and AK. But, we just had a fabulous Spring Break at BCV.

Are y'all saying that if we bought resale we wouldn't be able to book at the 11 month mark?

Are you also saying that if we were able to buy direct they would charge prevailing prices (Aulani/Poly) for BCV???

Karin

Blog Entries
    Are y'all saying that if we bought resale we wouldn't be able to book at the 11 month mark?
    No, that policy did not change. Home resort still has 11 month advantage with non-home resort bookings available at 7 months out, still.

Are you also saying that if we were able to buy direct they would charge prevailing prices (Aulani/Poly) for BCV???
    Pretty much. There may be some slight variance on prevailing prices, but in essence, it will be A LOT more than the resale market.
    Right now, I think prevailing price is $168, soon to be $171 after June 1. (Before any incentives, of course....)

ETA: Checking a resale site, BCV is going for like $100-$110, per point... Im rather sure other resale places are similar.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Thanks for this, GusMan.

Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Sorry for posting so late. BCV direct is $160/point. Check here for all of them: http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...g-a-promotions