Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tower of Terror - Changing to a Marvel ride permanently?

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They'll need to rename DCA at some point if this continues.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    You mean HM that gets a re theme for half the year? Just sayin.
    I saw a map somewhere, putting a Marvel land behind Tower. As a gateway, it could work to blend the trolley and area leading into there. It will actually be harder theme wise, I think, if they do try to shoe horn Marvel attractions into the existing backlot area around Monster's.
    I heard they may use the parking lot back there and also change out Monsters Inc to a Marvel ride. Even possibly add a roller coaster above the area too which would be cool.
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Blog Entries

I'd like to comment regarding this news with a BIG FAT BOOOOO! Not that good of a movie....can't imagine it being that good of an attraction.

"Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    I was at SDCC and in the room for this announcement. There were a few boos here and there, but the vast majority cheered the panel.

When I was just hearing rumors about this change over the past few months, I was on the "bad idea" side of the fence. After seeing the panel, hearing the full idea, and viewing some of the footage that the actors were filming for the ride, I actually think it's a cool idea and I think the end product will be awesome.

I agree that DCA is getting a bit of a hodge-podge feel theme-wise over in Hollywoodland though. Buuuut at the same time, I also agree that Twilight Zone isn't exactly at the height of popularity anymore. Do people go on the ride because it's a Twilight Zone ride? Nope. I think a new concept and the random drop sequences will be welcome additions/improvements.
    I was there too. There weren't any boos where I was sitting, but there were few cheers. I thought it was a noticeably less enthusiastic reaction than anything else in that panel. But then again, anyone who is a Disney fan probably already knew the rumor, and many others probably didn't care. It was a little weird that they said they had an announcement about a theme park and then the screen went black for so long. I literally had time to explain all the details to my sister before the video started. Now can we please talk about that Thor mockumentary

To me, the "bad idea" part is two fold. Currently the story is the lobby, the video room and the first two hops. It seems like this will have more of a story, and I don't see it as the same ride if you start adding audio and possibly video during the drop sequence. We'll see how they handle it, but I see a lot of motion sickness in the future. Also, they just finished re-theming the park to the 1920s, and now they're removing the one existing attraction that fit the land and theme that it started in. I completely understand that the licensing might be expensive, but I'd rather see a temporary overlay or other haunted/abandoned hotel theme than a total redo.

Quote Originally Posted by wabby1 View Post
    I'd like to comment regarding this news with a BIG FAT BOOOOO! Not that good of a movie....can't imagine it being that good of an attraction.
    The movie was great and a ton of people watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    The movie was great and a ton of people watched it.
    I have enjoyed it more on rewatching than the first watch.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    They'll need to rename DCA at some point if this continues.
    This is what concerns me. I don't give a flip whether they do Tower of Terror or Guardians of the Galaxy. But they're really straying away from theme. I guess it was barely acceptable to have the Tower of Terror, as it had a Hollywood feel to it. But there's just no way GotG can be themed to anything Californian. As long as the park has California in its name, then they really need to at least marginally keep to it.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Now can we please talk about that Thor mockumentary
    Best. Thing. Ever.

I was there too. There weren't any boos where I was sitting, but there were few cheers. I thought it was a noticeably less enthusiastic reaction than anything else in that panel.
    I only for-sure remember the dudes behind me booing. But they also booed Zack Snyder, so take that as you will... I agree that it seemed less enthusiastic, but the room was full of movie fans, not theme park fans. Or at least that's what I chalked it up to.

To me, the "bad idea" part is two fold. Currently the story is the lobby, the video room and the first two hops. It seems like this will have more of a story, and I don't see it as the same ride if you start adding audio and possibly video during the drop sequence. We'll see how they handle it, but I see a lot of motion sickness in the future. Also, they just finished re-theming the park to the 1920s, and now they're removing the one existing attraction that fit the land and theme that it started in. I completely understand that the licensing might be expensive, but I'd rather see a temporary overlay or other haunted/abandoned hotel theme than a total redo.
    I figured they'd just show video similar to how they do now, like with the hotel guest silhouettes/people getting into the elevator in front of you. I'm prone to motion sickness and that has never gotten to me on ToT. I completely agree with you and others on the theme not fitting with the area though. Not sure how to get around that. Though I also think Frontierland to Star Wars is a weird transition, so.... I'm choosing to be excited about the individual things anyway, even if I can't quite see how the pieces will all fit (or fail to fit).

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    This is what concerns me. I don't give a flip whether they do Tower of Terror or Guardians of the Galaxy. But they're really straying away from theme. I guess it was barely acceptable to have the Tower of Terror, as it had a Hollywood feel to it. But there's just no way GotG can be themed to anything Californian. As long as the park has California in its name, then they really need to at least marginally keep to it.
    I get it to a point. I mean, they own the rights to a large catalog, so why pay licensing to some other entity or develop new themes for rides when you own a whole bunch of stuff. Slightly off topic, but it's somewhat related to people criticizing live action remakes of animated classics in lieu of new animated originals. If you already own the rights to something, why not use it for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    I only for-sure remember the dudes behind me booing. But they also booed Zack Snyder, so take that as you will... I agree that it seemed less enthusiastic, but the room was full of movie fans, not theme park fans. Or at least that's what I chalked it up to.
    I booed Zack Snyder. Even when given a script and not allowed to sit down and have a full panel he can't deliver a complete sentence without a tangent. I totally agree about the tone of the room. In general I've found that the enthusiasm for Disney and specifically theme parks is pretty minor at SDCC. Even when Disney used to have a large booth that promoted a little bit of everything I was never that into it. The last year I remember any real frenzy for them was POTC At World's End, which was about 10 years ago. (And it's not just Disney, several studios have dialed down their presence. Paramount doesn't do a large booth anymore and CBS/Showtime doesn't have a booth at all anymore.)

It's closing at the end of this month now, BTW.

-Don't you hate pants?-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass Nerder View Post
    um, not according to Disneyland's website. up to Sep 7, its not listed as closed. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/cal...ay/2016-09-07/
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Nerder View Post
    The official announcement said closing early 2017 with a reopening date of summer 2017. The previous rumor said it was closing in September and reopening by May for the movie premier. But I'm going to believe the official announcement from Disney, and say it's closing in January after the holidays.

I am torn on this. As a Twilight Zone fan I love ToT. There are so many references to classic episodes of the show in the queue. If you grew up in SoCal during the 80's and 90's you had to have watched the Twilight Zone Marathon on KTAL 5 at least once. But they don't show them in reruns now like they did back then so all of that is lost to a lot of guests. I liked GOTG and I think it will connect with a lot more guests and from the art work looks like it will be great. The bad part is that side of DCA is a mess. Which is nothing new. The Hollywood Land area of DCA has been that way since DCA opened. The Red Car going to Tower Hotel was always a nice stop and it worked. I don't think that will work anymore now.

My daughter is really broken up over this news. Now she's even worried that Splash Mountain will be changed. I guess she has a point -- if Disney wants to replace themes that are not supported by recent, recognizable movies, nothing can top Song of the South for obscurity. How many Disneyland visitors do you suppose have ever seen SotS (or at least seen it recently enough to remember it)? I bet fewer than those who recognize Twilight Zone. Maybe a Zootopia theme is in the works. That's about as deserving as GotG to have a ride to its name.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzzz View Post
    My daughter is really broken up over this news. Now she's even worried that Splash Mountain will be changed. I guess she has a point -- if Disney wants to replace themes that are not supported by recent, recognizable movies, nothing can top Song of the South for obscurity. How many Disneyland visitors do you suppose have ever seen SotS (or at least seen it recently enough to remember it)? I bet fewer than those who recognize Twilight Zone. Maybe a Zootopia theme is in the works. That's about as deserving as GotG to have a ride to its name.
    I'm surprised the SotS theming has lasted as long as it has on Splash. Social justice warriors are offended by anything under the sun, including things far more benign than the story of a slave who sings Zip a dee do da. Its days are numbered, I'm afraid.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

I still start laughing out loud everytime I am in Frontierland and they are playing the title track to Blazing Saddles. I still don't know how that one got into the playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Social justice warriors are offended by anything under the sun, including things far more benign than the story of a slave who sings Zip a dee do da.
    Ex-slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine74 View Post
    I still start laughing out loud everytime I am in Frontierland and they are playing the title track to Blazing Saddles. I still don't know how that one got into the playlist.
    I have the same reaction. Blazing Saddles is one of my all time favorite movies, but it's incredibly un-Disney!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    I'm surprised the SotS theming has lasted as long as it has on Splash. Social justice warriors are offended by anything under the sun, including things far more benign than the story of a slave who sings Zip a dee do da. Its days are numbered, I'm afraid.
    Could we pretty please keep the loaded terminology of "social justice warriors" out of Disney discussions. Please?

Specifically addressing Splash Mountain, I doubt that is going anywhere. The number of audio-animatronics that would have to be changed to do a new theme is cost-prohibitive. It's also one of the core mountains.

I think there is a substantial difference between Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain.
    2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Blog Entries

Being facetious here - but Pete's Dragon would fit the wooded setting :-P

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nikara View Post
    Could we pretty please keep the loaded terminology of "social justice warriors" out of Disney discussions. Please?

Specifically addressing Splash Mountain, I doubt that is going anywhere. The number of audio-animatronics that would have to be changed to do a new theme is cost-prohibitive. It's also one of the core mountains.

I think there is a substantial difference between Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain.
    Splash mountain and song of the south are pretty different. Stuff like the tar baby was changed to the honey and such. Although some of the music is the same. I think I would consider Splash Mountain as politically correct

Splash mountain and song of the south are pretty different. Stuff like the tar baby was changed to the honey and such. Although some of the music is the same. I think I would consider Splash Mountain as politically correct
    Agree the ride is safe. Most of the hubbub surrounding the movie has more to do with how the actors, etc. were treated with the movie premier than it does the movie and story itself. Besides Splash Mountain is about the Tales of Brer' Rabbit, not really the rest of the movie in Song of the South. It's based off of an old movie that many haven't seen, but it's also based off of children's stories that should resonate with guests. There's a newer cartoon movie about Brer' Rabbit, it's okay, but it's definitely not a Disney movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    Agree the ride is safe. Most of the hubbub surrounding the movie has more to do with how the actors, etc. were treated with the movie premier than it does the movie and story itself. Besides Splash Mountain is about the Tales of Brer' Rabbit, not really the rest of the movie in Song of the South. It's based off of an old movie that many haven't seen, but it's also based off of children's stories that should resonate with guests. There's a newer cartoon movie about Brer' Rabbit, it's okay, but it's definitely not a Disney movie.
    So in now way am I saying the slavery ever is ok nor was ok but the original film was a look into a time period in our history. The only other thing I will say bout that look into that time period was at least it didn't share more of the worst parts of it.

So in now way am I saying the slavery ever is ok nor was ok but the original film was a look into a time period in our history. The only other thing I will say bout that look into that time period was at least it didn't share more of the worst parts of it.
    The movie takes place post slavery. But it was still a very difficult time in history. It was also released during a time of segregation and that meant that the actors could not attend the movie premier because it was held in the South instead of in California.

I'm not sure showing it in California would have helped. Afterall, Hattie McDaniel wasn't allowed to attend the Oscars and she won.
    I watched it on youtube the other day. Hadn't seen it in years. I enjoyed it. I loved seeing Hattie.