Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Metal Detectors & Pregnancy

Metal Detectors & Pregnancy

I have two friends going to WDW next month for a conference, but they will be spending a couple days in the parks. One of them is showing but the other is not. Do you know if security is asking pregnant women to go through the metal detectors or if an alternative is available?

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltDisneyFanatic View Post
    I have two friends going to WDW next month for a conference, but they will be spending a couple days in the parks. One of them is showing but the other is not. Do you know if security is asking pregnant women to go through the metal detectors or if an alternative is available?
    I've never heard that there is a concern about pregnant women going through a metal detector. I imagine you may be able to ask to be wanded instead of walking through the portal, but it's the same technology / exposure.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

There is no radiation or anything of concern with metal detectors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltDisneyFanatic View Post
    Just so you are aware, a banana has 9x the amount of radiation that a metal detector gives off. If your pregnant friend isn't concerned with bananas, then the metal detectors will be fine.

There is no reason for a pregnant person to avoid a metal detector. (BTW - Does she refuse to exit thru the detectors at Target and Walmart?)
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To go along with what the others are saying, these are not the same scanners that are used at the airports. These are the traditional metal detectors...
    If there is a real concern, Im sure a quick call to the doctor will confirm that there is no issue.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    If there is a real concern, Im sure a quick call to the doctor will confirm that there is no issue.
    Excellent advice. And, usually my first piece of advice as well, call YOUR doctor.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

We were there for a week a couple of weeks ago and I was only asked to walk thru it once and that was at the International Gateway to Epcot. DH was asked twice at the same location. We went thru that entrance 4 times. We were never asked at any other parks.

Karin

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Just so you are aware, a banana has 9x the amount of radiation that a metal detector gives off. If your pregnant friend isn't concerned with bananas, then the metal detectors will be fine.

There is no reason for a pregnant person to avoid a metal detector. (BTW - Does she refuse to exit thru the detectors at Target and Walmart?)
    This recently came up in our real life as the local science fair wanted to disqualify my son's project due to "Radioactivity concerns." Ultimately, our school district's wonderful coordinator and my husband were able to write and submit appeals that were accepted - he will be competing as planned - but I have learned even MORE about radiation.

Anyone 1. standing in Denver, CO (or any other Earthly city at equal or higher altitude,) or 2. Flying in an airplane, will be exposed to more radiation than a banana or metal detector. FYI.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Don't forget even short flights. Salt substitute, many granite counter tops, bricks, etc. are more radioactive. It just isn't a concern.