Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Universal Studios Hollywood raises ticket prices before Wizarding World opening

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Universal Studios Hollywood raises ticket prices before Wizarding World opening

Back in February, Universal Studios Hollywood rolled out a new demand-based pricing structure, offering lower prices on most dates to those who purchased tickets online. Customers who waited until the day of their visit to purchase tickets paid full rack rate of $95, but those who were willing to purchase date-specific tickets in advance could get discounts of up to $20, depending on the date they wanted to visit.

Universal today raised tickets by a whopping $20. The basic General Admission ticket is now $115, with discounts of up to $25 available if you purchase in advance (and are willing to go on a less-crowded day, say, in September). The Front of the Line pass now runs $179 - $239, depending on when you plan to visit. See the Universal website for the calendar.

This increase comes three weeks before the grand opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. In addition to possible discounts, visitors who book in advance can also enter the theme park and run straight to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter an hour before the park opens to the full-fare-paying general public.

This latest pricing change also comes with a new addition to the annual passport program. Universal Studios Hollywood unveiled a new pass structure last November which eliminated the no-blockout-date pass. Under that structure, the top tier Gold pass cost $299, and came with 53 blockout dates - pretty much every Saturday and Sunday during peak season. Parking was not included, and Universal does not offer an annual parking pass.

Universal has now added a Platinum passport, an all-access pass that has no blockout dates, and includes parking. The $599 pass also includes a free Halloween Horror Nights ticket, and priority boarding for the Studio Tour. For comparison, the $1049 Disney Signature Plus Pass has no blockout dates, and includes admission to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Headless Chicken

I am hoping Costco still carries the passes. This is getting pricey!

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    I am hoping Costco still carries the passes. This is getting pricey!
    Be careful with the fine print on anything from Costco. The last time I looked into it, they had an annual pass for around $100 but you had to go online to check the blackout days and it was EVERY Saturday and Sunday, all summer, and all holidays. So unless you lived nearby and could visit on weekdays ....

Of course, if it is "only" around $100, maybe having a pass that you only use once is still cheaper than a single day ticket?

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

The ones I saw at my local Costco in Sacramento cost around $95 and have to be used the first time by May something; that didn't work for me, so I didn't read the fine print about blackout days.

I'm looking at going in mid-November; the online price is $95, but there are still some places that cost a bit less (aRes Travel & Getaway Today)...for now at least!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021