Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie seen, part 5

"Roman Holiday" -- one of our favorite movies, even better with a live audience. Didn't even realize I was crying at the end until Mr. Tea handed me a tissue.

2. # ADS

Batman VS. Superman.
    I didn't like it very much, however, it's not as bad as some people say in my opinion.
    What I didn't like was how they tried to cram so much into one single movie, DC obviously wants to compete with Marvel to create its own cinematic universe instead of gradually developing each superhero and then uniting them. Because of that, the movie's pace suffers a bit.
    It did have some good parts, in fact, I'd say that when the movie did something bad or mediocre, it's pretty bad/mediocre, but when it does something well, it's really good.
    Overall, though, it still could've been much better done. I am looking forward to Suicide Squad, though, that one looks much more interesting than Batman vs. Superman.

"Fantastic Mr. Fox" -- Wes Anderson, George Clooney, Meryl Streep! So clever and funny. And, as with all Wes Anderson movies, so intricately detailed. Q&A afterward with Wally Wolodarsky (voice of Kylie). Great fun all around.

Captain America: Civil War - Got to see the Disney Parks Blog-hosted early screening yesterday at the AMC at Downtown Disney. It feels a tad long, for reasons that are somewhat obvious when you see it or you can read my mild spoiler

They spend more time than I expected on new heroes Spider-Man and Black Panther
    , but I liked it. Like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it's just as intense, especially the action sequences. And I couldn't help noticing that the conflict has similarities to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. While the movie has its light moments, it really has a darkness to it, but in tone only, not visually like a lot of BvS. I enjoyed BvS more than most, but even as a DC guy, I have to admit the drama is handled better here. It was an IMAX 3D screening too; I'm not a big 3D fan, but the 3D was good and wasn't distracting. There was even one moment in the movie when I flinched as something looked like it was coming towards me. I already have tickets to see it with other friends on Thursday, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
    "The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

The Jungle Book.

It was good enough. I thought it was a good balance of the animated movie and some material from the Mowgli stories. There was so much CGI it sort of made me think about a possible animated remake instead of live action. That may be sacrilege, but I'd be really interested to see how a story could be interpreted again 50 or more years later.

A Hologram for the King.

Ok, skip this one in a theater, for sure. I saw it on a list of free screenings, the title didn't grab me, so I didn't even read the summary. Then I saw an add on TV and it looked interesting, so I went. First of all, there really isn't a lot of plot,

you just have a guy selling something vague, and you know it's a hologram because it's in the title of the movie but the don't show them working on it or say what it is the first 80% of the movie. I was honestly starting to wonder if the vague product was a hologram, or if something was going to come up and force them to make a hologram? Don't put it in the title of your movie if your big reveal is a previously unnamed hologram with 20 minutes left in your movie.
    There are some stunning visuals in the beginning and end, but very little story in between. And then it all gets wrapped up with a voiceover at the end. Like they forgot to finish the movie and just fixed it later with that paragraph. Which, actually kind of fits with an ongoing attempt at a joke in the movie, but eh. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen was a much more successful attempt at a similar movie.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

Hello, My Name is Doris

A great performance from Sally Field. But she's let down by the movie. They just made her a bit too dysfunctional (the Secret Life of Walter Mitty ​stuff is taken too far) to be believable and the Williamsburg hipster milieu a bit too stereotypical hipster. But she remains really good.

There are several Disney movies that are considered nostalgic classics by many of my Disney friends that I've never seen. I finally saw two of them yesterday.

Pete's Dragon - It felt kinda long, and I wasn't a fan of much of the musical numbers. But I liked the ending and it's nice to finally understand "Candle in the Wind" in context to the movie's story.

Song of the South - Getting through the quaintness of a story produced through the naivete of Walt's imagination, I really enjoyed it, more so than Pete's Dragon. I even got a little teary eyed at the ending, which surprised me. James Baskett was phenomenal as Uncle Remus! I thought he was incredibly charming and poignant during the downturn in his relationship with little Johnny. I thought the little girl was adorably cute too. I will admit hearing the term tar baby took me aback; but looking it up, I learned it apparently originally didn't have the racial connotation I know it to have now. And it's absolutely cool now to better understand the scenes inspired by the movie that are in Splash Mountain. Ha ha..

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Pete's Dragon - It felt kinda long, and I wasn't a fan of much of the musical numbers. But I liked the ending and it's nice to finally understand "Candle in the Wind" in context to the movie's story.
    I saw this and thought that the remake had been released and I somehow missed all of the promotions for it. It will be out August 12th, by the way.

I would highly recommend reading one of the Uncle Remus stories, I think it gives a new perspective on the animated portions of Song of the South.

The new Fantastic Four. I had put off watching it because of all the negative reviews and I really REALLY like the other two FF films. But this was good! Really good! Thoroughly enjoyed it and immediately turned around and watched it a second time. Once you see it the casting makes total sense. Was a darker film, but well done. I should know better than to listen to reviews...

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

Everybody Wants Some... meh. It did not live up to the trailer. It might be the spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confused. But D&C was a much better film on so many levels.

The Holiday. Nice light rom com. Relaxing for a Saturday.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Saw Captain America: Civil War over the weekend.

I really enjoyed the movie. I would really like to see it again. Will be an add to my BR collection for sure.

However, I am not sure if it was the 4K DLP projector the theater was using or something else, but it just seemed like the cinematography was very unstable.
    Action scenes seemed very jittery, which made it hard to watch at times. (2D IMAX.)

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

The opening sequence of Civil War was very shaky. I actually got a bit of a headache watching it. I remember though, that Winter Soldier was the same way with its opening action sequence. Both seemed to get better after that though.

Interstellar - Finally got around to seeing this. Obviously wished I'd seen it on an IMAX screen! Epic, ambitious story. Wonky dialogue at times. Hard to follow, but I went with it. Enjoyed it, and then became much more impressed with the film after watching the bonus features and discovering how the filmmakers devoted themselves to present as much factual reality to it as possible.

X-Men: Apocalypse - Good not great. Like Batman v Superman, very ambitious but the pacing dragged for me, especially throughout most of the first act. I liked both films, but was disappointed more with this film than BvS. I'm sure not everyone would agree with me on that.

Dallas Buyers Club. It was a good movie, but emotionally stressful. In retrospect, perhaps not best to watch just before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Deadpool.
    Nope - not for kids. R rated for many reasons. One of the most violent movies Ive ever managed to watch all the way through.
    But now I have a never ending supply of one liners insults that I can modify to make a bit cleaner.

But overall, a pretty good movie.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Finally had a chance to see X-Men: Apocalypse. I really enjoyed it, but I couldn't help thinking about the difference between this film and the last Marvel film, Civil War. Civil War focussed a great deal on the collateral damage of innocent bystanders. The body count on this film was fairly high, without batting an eye, even when it was fairly up close and personal because of two particular characters. Unfortunately, because I ended up not seeing this until well after it was released, a particular appearance had already been spoiled for me, but it was still fun to watch. I wasn't that keen on Oscar Isaac in Force Awakens. I liked him much better in this, though of course, he had much more to do.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

"Love and Friendship" -- loved Whit Stillman (great job with direction and screenplay), loved seeing Kate Beckinsale back with Chloe Sevigny (takes me back to when I saw "Metropolitan" for the first time). Snark and sarcasm galore. Kate Beckinsale would make a great Disney villain.

Finding Dory.

I fell asleep. Dory wasn't my favorite part of Finding Nemo (the aquarium scenes were), but it was the next movie starting when I got to the theater, so I paid $17.50 to see it in 3-D and have a nice nap. I don't know, there were some new characters that were entertaining enough in small doses, but it seemed much more forced than Nemo. The kids in the theater laughed exactly twice, which seemed low because there were clearly some parts that were trying to be funny. I spent most of the movie looking for Easter eggs because there weren't any surprises in the plot and the outcome was never in doubt. I liked the short at the beginning and kind of wished something like that had been part of the movie. Because Nemo finding his way and overcoming Marlin's overprotectiveness and Marlin overcoming his own fears to find Nemo is part of what drives the first one. There is also a post credits scene that I'd recommend staying around for. But honestly, if you end up renting this one, I don't think you'll be disappointed that you missed it in the theater.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - When I learned Raiders of the Lost Ark debuted 35 years ago this month, I thought I'd pop it in to watch. But I've seen that movie a lot and decided to pop this in, my least favorite of the four Indy films. With my expectations lowered, the silliness didn't bother me as much. Watching the "making of" afterwards, Lucas said they were going for the old Abbott and Costello-type goofy humor of the 40's. Considering it that way, I guess they succeeded!

The Big Short - A coworker recommended it during a meeting today (I'm a geek in the mortgage industry). Tonight happened to be a library night, and I found it on the rack. It was fate. I've never before felt the desire to take notes during a movie. And I learned some things. But now I'm mad and a little depressed and it's bedtime. Sweet dreams!

"The Music of Strangers: Yo Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble" -- really enjoyed this movie. So interesting to watch people express their passion for what they do and why. It becomes even more amazing when you bring together people from different cultures searching for a common denominator.

Hail Caesar
    I'm a fan of classic Hollywood and behind the scenes stuff so really looked forward to this comedy. Well still not sure if what I watched. To say this film was disjointed and beyond weird is an understatement. Had all my favorite actors. But it that is two hours of my life I will never get back. It was like a bad wreck that you wanted to look away from but was riveted instead by its awfulness. Soooo disapointed

Ghostbusters 3D

Yes, please. It was scarier than the first one. I think it was also funnier. It's definitely worth the extra money to see it in 3D. IMAX too, if available. Even the credits were entertaining, and there's. A scene at the end.

Sixteen Candles. I guess I'm kind of on a Molly Ringwald kick. I'll see if the library has Pretty in Pink.