Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie seen, part 5

The Greatest Show On Earth Absolutely love this movie and they finally released it on DVD so picking it up. While watching it I was reminded how much I loved the circus and how sad I am that Ringling Bros is no more. (The circus in the film is Ringling Brothers) Great story, amazing performances, breathtaking costumes. So wonderful to visit it again.
    Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

2. # ADS

Winter Wrap Up

Big Fish
    The Hurt Locker
    The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat

[Princess Celestia]
    You've come such a long, long way
    And I've watched you from that very first day

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Sands of Iwo Jima.
    This was my fathers favorite John Wayne movie.
    Its amazing how much I remember of it from when I watched it with dad.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Kong: Skull Island" - Overall, I enjoyed the film. I thought it was a very well-made film. One of the things I *really* liked was that you got lots of good looks at Kong and other creatures. That was one of my huge complaints about the last Godzilla movie.

One story point I had a problem with:

Mainly, it was the all-encompassing motivation for Samuel Jackson's character. Yeah, they kind of set him up as someone who didn't know what to do with himself if he wasn't fighting an enemy. But the mentality of "man is always king, no matter what" and the revenge obsession really bothered me. "We have to go kill Kong because he killed my men." Ummm, yeah, you came, uninvited into his home and started blowing things up and possibly bringing on more dangerous creatures, and he fought back against that. You started it. And you single-mindedly determined to kill him, even though he was defending his home. There is a little bit of lip-service in the film of the other characters objecting to this mentality, but I don't know if I place the fault in the character internally or in the writing. It just really bothered me every time Kong was blamed, as if he just attacked out of nowhere, especially since you got indications about a different side of Kong, from what Chapman witnessed before he died, to how much the natives revered him, to seeing Kong's interactions with Brie Larson's character.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

Just for grins and giggles, I thought I would try to watch Sausage Party.
    I could not watch even 10 minutes of it before I shut it off.
    Bad. Horrible. Vulgar. Learn from my fail.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Just for grins and giggles, I thought I would try to watch Sausage Party.
    I could not watch even 10 minutes of it before I shut it off.
    Bad. Horrible. Vulgar. Learn from my fail.
    Thanks for the warning. I saw the trailers for it and thought briefly (very briefly) about watching it, but something inside said "nah" Glad I listened to my inner voice.

Winter Wrap Up

The Bye Bye Man

[Princess Celestia]

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"Beauty and the Beast" - new live action version. Overall, I thought they did a good job, and it was nice that they actually got people who can sing to do a musical. I liked this a lot more than the live action version of "Cinderella", which had me feeling nothing. I did cry a couple times at this, but to me, it still didn't rise to the level of the original. There are a few new songs that I can see would vie for a nomination for Best Song. I prefer the ensemble one and the end credits one more than Beast's new song. I was ok with the change in lyrics in some of the songs, but I wasn't happy with some of the other changes. In particular, they changed my favorite line in "Kill the Beast".

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Saw Beauty and the Beast on Saturday night. I went in with low expectations and actually really enjoyed the film. I think it would have been better with a different actress than Emma Watson, but she still did a good job. I enjoyed the Gaston song. I agree with cstephens in that it was better than Cinderella.

I love the new BATB. They totally should have had Daniel Radcliffe play Beast, though.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

Saw BATB as well... loved it!

Winter Wrap Up

Sinister
    Red Riding Hood

[Princess Celestia]

Logan - Loved it!
    Kong: Skull Island - Liked it. Felt it was like watching a B-movie, which isn't a bad thing. And whoa, Samuel L. Jackson wasn't playing Samuel L. Jackson again. Ha! (except for one brief moment towards the final act)
    Godzilla (2014) - Had to re-watch this again after watching Kong; hadn't seen it since it's theatrical release. Still enjoyed it. Two good movies in, I'm looking forward to this shared Godzilla-Kong monster movie universe they're building towards.
    Beauty and the Beast - Liked it. I may need to watch it again tho'. So many friends enjoyed it more than me, and perhaps I expected too much.
    Cinderella - Loved it again.
    Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey - Found it on Hulu. Loved it again!! Was so elated to find it there in widescreen. Could not make myself buy the DVD because it was pan and scan. Glad I held out all these years.

My friends have our tickets to watch Ghost in the Shell next week.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Blog Entries

Watched Moana this afternoon.
    Loved it even more the second time. Such a good flick.

Winter Wrap Up

Insidious
    Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
    Underworld: Blood Wars

[Princess Celestia]

Blog Entries

The Lego Batman Movie.
    My son loved it! I thought the original Lego Movie was a bit better, yet still very entertaining.

Finally saw "Beauty and the Beast" and enjoyed it very much. Two details that enchanted me were the torch holders outside the Beast's castle (human arms and hands -- what I can only guess is a nod to Cocteau's version of BATB and one of my favorite details from that film) and the Imari-esque pattern on the Beast's china (totally appropriate to the time and place -- one of my favorite patterns and such a nice touch). For anyone who sees the movie at the El Capitan, the two lanterns that flank the auditorium (one on each side of the rose petal cannons) are props from the film. You can see them in the Beast's courtyard at the end of the movie.

Winter Wrap Up

Nothing Left to Fear
    The Cat in the Hat
    Stuart Little
    Problem Child
    Problem Child 2
    Beethoven's 2nd
    X-Men 3

[Princess Celestia]

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

"The Fate of the Furious" - Enjoyed the movie a lot. Ridiculous stunts, but they, that's what the franchise is all about. I didn't know about a particular person being in the movie until I saw the opening credits, and then I didn't figure out AT ALL that's where they were going. I knew there had to be a really overwhelming reason why Dom was doing what he was doing. I had a guess that turned out to be along the same vein as what the real explanation was, but I didn't see that coming at all. Charlize Theron was terrific in this. Her character is fairly one-dimensional, but I did love how she delivered some of the lines and was just ice in some scenes but not wooden. I think I just mixed a metaphor there. And I figured out the tribute about a split second before it actually happened. Fun time at the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    "The Fate of the Furious" - <snip> And I figured out the tribute about a split second before it actually happened. Fun time at the movies.
    I too saw the movie this weekend. It wasn't my favorite but I did enjoy it. I didn't really understand the tribute because (unless I missed something and that is possible) the name/character that was used is still active as far as the audience is aware, right? I would have understood it more if the name they used was the real name, not characters name.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    I didn't really understand the tribute because (unless I missed something and that is possible) the name/character that was used is still active as far as the audience is aware, right? I would have understood it more if the name they used was the real name, not characters name.
    Using the real name would have broken the fourth wall. I think it's understood what the tribute is supposed to mean, and it does make sense even in the context of the story because they were best friends, and one of them isn't around the team anymore, so it's a nice reminder.

Winter Wrap Up

Resident Evil Retribution
    The Polar Express

[Princess Celestia]

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    Resident Evil Retribution
    The Polar Express
    That's a heck of a double feature

Quote Originally Posted by BlkPearlCptn View Post
    That's a heck of a double feature
    I was thinking the same!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

Saw Sully the other day.
    Not bad. Worth a rental if you are interested in how the event was portrayed as a movie.