Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Here's a shocker. The half marathon is now sold out. Given all the issues with the change to Sunday morning and the fact both Tinker and Disneyland Half Marathons are still open, this is going against expected results.
    well, it does fit one thing - its a "new" race at that time slot. So someone before who would not go at night, but can go in the AM, will now go because its "new" to them. Next year you will have to see if there is a drop off. It would also be interesting to see what the makeup of the runners are compared to thew night race (if you look at how many finished in what time, etc). i.e. - is the audience different.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    well, it does fit one thing - its a "new" race at that time slot. So someone before who would not go at night, but can go in the AM, will now go because its "new" to them. Next year you will have to see if there is a drop off. It would also be interesting to see what the makeup of the runners are compared to thew night race (if you look at how many finished in what time, etc). i.e. - is the audience different.
    Oh it could be a data nerd's dream race to slice and dice registration info.

And one final note. As of 11:45 a.m., the four main 2016 Wine & Dine Events (Challenge, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k) are officially sold out. Only the kids races remain open.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Guess it's a good thing I decided against signing up for this... but part of me was hoping it would have a hard time selling out. Now runDisney will just neener-neener at those of us who want a night race.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Guess it's a good thing I decided against signing up for this... but part of me was hoping it would have a hard time selling out. Now runDisney will just neener-neener at those of us who want a night race.
    There is still a rumor of a night Villian's-themed race to replace ToT when construction allows more running in Hollywood Studios. We will see.

Change usually isn't fun. It's kind of like when RnR Las Vegas moved from morning to night. Lots of people were less than thrilled with the news but it's become their signature event. Like Olegc said, will be interesting to see how it does next year when the 'newness' is off.
    RunningFool

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just spoke with a friend from work who came gushing to me that he was able to register for the Challenge, and he got his brother and 3 others to register as well. The reason? its now a morning race instead of night. That's 5 people who signed up because of the time change. "it was so late, you were stinky at the party, not much fun when you're tired..." were some of his comments (as well as "this course looks really good"). he's a corral C/D guy usually so not a bad runner (14 min pace avg). My data pool obviously is small - but it goes to my comment earlier that this opened the race up to a lot of people.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    I just spoke with a friend from work who came gushing to me that he was able to register for the Challenge, and he got his brother and 3 others to register as well. The reason? its now a morning race instead of night. That's 5 people who signed up because of the time change. "it was so late, you were stinky at the party, not much fun when you're tired..." were some of his comments (as well as "this course looks really good"). he's a corral C/D guy usually so not a bad runner (14 min pace avg). My data pool obviously is small - but it goes to my comment earlier that this opened the race up to a lot of people.
    Good perspective. I've also noticed a LARGE number of 'this is going to be my first runDisney race and I wanted it to be a good one' comments on social media so as usual, lots of newbies signing up.

I will say for a West-Coaster, the night version was actually an easier race as it was essentially 7:00 p.m. Pacific time. The East Coast morning races are just brutal with the three-hour time difference.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

If you might be interested in a Wine & Dine - specific 'In Training' shirt, they are now available until April 7th on the Disney store site. No signs of Chef Remy or Lumiere but they do have one for each distance. Link here.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

If you registered this morning and skipped the POT section (like I did) , or would like to update your POT before the cutoff date, here's a bit more info:

runDisney proof of time guidelines:

If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 2:45 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement. Lumiere's Two Course Challenge participants should adhere to Half Marathon proof of time requirements. Proof of time is not required for the 5K and 10K races. Please reference the Race Pacing Chart below for finish times and associated pacing per mile. Please note we do not accept self-timed, training, or virtual runs as proof of time.

Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after November 1, 2014 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time.

Half Marathon – 10K, 12K, 15K, 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon

A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following*:
    Name of Race
    Distance
    City
    State
    Date
    Finish time
    Link to Results

*For example, Walt Disney World Marathon, 26.2, Orlando, FL, 1/13/15, – 3:35

For starting corral placement, proof of time must be submitted by the participant for each individual race.

If proof of time is not provided by August 2, 2016, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral.

No corral changes will be made after August 2, 2016.

Past runDisney races may be used as proof of time, however they are not automatically input for your race registration.

To update the proof of time for a minor, please email disneysports@trackshack.com.

For any questions regarding proof of time, please email disneysports@trackshack.com

Update your proof of time [via your Active.com registration].

RunningFool

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

NotSoFairest and I are in for the 10k. Unlike last week, I got in and registered pretty fast. Thank goodness as I had a tight schedule today. Skipping the beloved half marathon as the whole reason I loved it so much was because it was at night and it was followed immediately by a cool after party. Going to focus on the festival and not the race for this trip.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend

My hubby and I are signed up for the 10k. I'll admit I was tempted to go with the HM after crunching the numbers and saw that 10k doesn't include gift card or after party. But with the change to a morning run, we decided to just go with the 10k and spend the unused reg fee (for HM/Challenge) on festival events.

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Blog Entries
    So from a quick scan of social media postings, the theme (especially Beauty and the Beast) is a big driver of the success of race registration today. Hopefully the medals will live up to the hype!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Well this is interesting. Not sure if it's a 'glitch' or not but the Wine & Dine Half Marathon Active.com registration page shows this morning as "On Hold" instead of Sold Out. The link on the runDisney page continues to show as Sold Out.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

runDisney really needs a good proof reader. Just received a welcome email to the 6th annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon weekend. Ummmm, by my count this should be #7.

RunningFool

Do any of our friends here have spots open in their charity groups? Looking for possibly a 10K spot, and a challenge spot?

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    Do any of our friends here have spots open in their charity groups? Looking for possibly a 10K spot, and a challenge spot?
    Team Muscle Makers didn't contract for this event but you could check with Kellie S. At TLC (The Learning Collaborative).
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Well I was able to get in with a charity! I'm excited to try this again, seeing as last year was just a half half.

Blog Entries
    Well I was able to get in with a charity! I'm excited to try this again, seeing as last year was just a half half.
    Excellent! Fingers crossed this year we have perfect weather and can get through the W&D weekend without issue.
    RunningFool

So a little emergency, I can't fly out until Friday and no flights arrive before the expo. I called runDisney and they said I can just show up the morning of to pick up my stuff, but everyone here sounds like that might be an issue? The girl at runDisney just said I need to be to the start line 2 hours before and my stuff will be there, but I don't want to be left high and dry. Any advice??

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If they're not charging for race-day-pickup, it should work fine. Not sure if you'll be able to get your shirts, though.

Cathy

Mickeygirlforever - This happened to my niece for the 2015 Disney World Half. Her flight came in late Friday, race was Saturday morning. We got to the starting line ridiculously early and she had no problem picking up her stuff. She got everything - shirts, bib, etc. She didn't pre-order anything else so not sure how that works but for standard race packet stuff she was fine. She then used the bag she just got to bag check her new shirt, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJones View Post
    Mickeygirlforever - This happened to my niece for the 2015 Disney World Half. Her flight came in late Friday, race was Saturday morning. We got to the starting line ridiculously early and she had no problem picking up her stuff. She got everything - shirts, bib, etc. She didn't pre-order anything else so not sure how that works but for standard race packet stuff she was fine. She then used the bag she just got to bag check her new shirt, etc.
    Ok great, thanks. I'm just such a nervous nelly I never know if I should count on being able to do something like this or not. What if they change their policy this year due to heightened security and on and on. It's just me. We're frantically trying to find another flight that will get us there earlier on Friday, but I may end up having to just pick everything up Saturday morning at the start line.

Ok great, thanks. I'm just such a nervous nelly I never know if I should count on being able to do something like this or not. What if they change their policy this year due to heightened security and on and on. It's just me. We're frantically trying to find another flight that will get us there earlier on Friday, but I may end up having to just pick everything up Saturday morning at the start line.
    I would be sure to contact runDisney ahead of time to confirm it's still ok to do - My niece made a point of talking to someone on the phone at runDisney a week or two ahead of time since she was nervous about it too. Policy may have change since then - not a bad idea to check!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJones View Post
    I would be sure to contact runDisney ahead of time to confirm it's still ok to do - My niece made a point of talking to someone on the phone at runDisney a week or two ahead of time since she was nervous about it too. Policy may have change since then - not a bad idea to check!
    I would recommend getting an email from them as well. Print it out and bring it with you. That way, if there are any questions, you have proof of a discussion instead of "I talked with X and she said...".
    RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    I would recommend getting an email from them as well. Print it out and bring it with you. That way, if there are any questions, you have proof of a discussion instead of "I talked with X and she said...".
    Ok great, I'll do both, thanks again! It doesn't change packet pick up if I'm running with a charity does it? I've never done this charity thing and my charity contact isn't being super responsive.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ok great, I'll do both, thanks again! It doesn't change packet pick up if I'm running with a charity does it? I've never done this charity thing and my charity contact isn't being super responsive.
    I believe Charities MAY have been able to pick up bibs in the past - but since they implemented 'everyone must pick up their own' that feature went away (if it ever was possible in WDW)
    Cathy