Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

We just changed our reservation. We're going the week before because the kids will have a vacation day off school and it'll be one less day they miss. We really wanted a F&W trip and figured why not do W&D too. Now honestly if they had somehow made the 10K a night race too I'm pretty sure we'd be doing that as well. DD15 really wanted to do a night race and has been asking to do W&D. But the prospect of 3am wake ups on vacation is less than pleasing, we're total night people. When we did W&D a couple years ago the best part was realizing we didn't have to get up at 3am. It'll be interesting to see how registration goes for this now.

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunFamily4 View Post
    We just changed our reservation. We're going the week before because the kids will have a vacation day off school and it'll be one less day they miss. We really wanted a F&W trip and figured why not do W&D too. Now honestly if they had somehow made the 10K a night race too I'm pretty sure we'd be doing that as well. DD15 really wanted to do a night race and has been asking to do W&D. But the prospect of 3am wake ups on vacation is less than pleasing, we're total night people. When we did W&D a couple years ago the best part was realizing we didn't have to get up at 3am. It'll be interesting to see how registration goes for this now.
    I had the feeling that this would change your trip, since you changed it for the race to begin with. DH and I have decided to keep the trip and run the 10k and just focus on the festival and not the race. The great thing about this is that we will have already earned our C2C at SWDS so we don't "need" to do the half. And let's get real, we can run a 10k even after a late night of Tom Foolery at the parks the day before. We're looking at it as planned exercise during our vacation.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I had the feeling that this would change your trip, since you changed it for the race to begin with. DH and I have decided to keep the trip and run the 10k and just focus on the festival and not the race. The great thing about this is that we will have already earned our C2C at SWDS so we don't "need" to do the half. And let's get real, we can run a 10k even after a late night of Tom Foolery at the parks the day before. We're looking at it as planned exercise during our vacation.
    I am bummed we won't be there at the same time as you. You do a 10K just drinking around the world right? What's on more in the whole scheme of things? I guess we'll have to figure out a way to do the Star Wars C2C sometime in the next few years. With Star Wars land opening and another movie coming out i'm guessing those races wont be going anywhere.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunFamily4 View Post
    I am bummed we won't be there at the same time as you. You do a 10K just drinking around the world right? What's on more in the whole scheme of things? I guess we'll have to figure out a way to do the Star Wars C2C sometime in the next few years. With Star Wars land opening and another movie coming out i'm guessing those races wont be going anywhere.
    Right! I'm pretty sure I can do a 10k AFTER drinking around the world (although I wouldn't suggest it).

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Well, after talking it over with Alex last night, we have decided to cancel our plans for the runDisney Wine & Dine Half Marathon. Since the race is no longer unique, we can't justify the added cost (2 extra hotel nights, giving up a vacation day to travel home on a weekday).

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend

Add me to the list of disappointed W&D HM runners who will mourn the night event. We booked our room back in December (DVC) and since our use year is up in November we don't have much of a choice. So we (DH and myself) are opting for the 10k; we will use the extra race fee dollars to go to a tasting. We really do enjoy the festival itself - the race was always just a great way to burn some calories. I'll miss the after party tho. Yes it's late, yes we are a little salty from the run, but we always brought a change of clothes and enjoyed the company of other runners eating around the world. It felt like a special place just for the runners to enjoy. And we usually closed the party (4am) despite being typically early sleepers. It was just too fun!

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

I'm pretty disappointed, I was definitely looking forward to this for both redemptive and fun purposes (I last did the "Splash & Dash" in 2014 and wasn't happy with my time.) I enjoyed that it was a night run, and that the afterparty was so unique. That being said, I'm still planning on going. I want to get my coast to coast (also doing Tinker Bell) and my husband is happy they added the 10k component as that is his preferred distance (he doesn't do halfs). I may even do that challenge so I can run the 10k with him. We had already made reservations at Beach Club for the weekend and are excited about staying there too. So definitely mixed emotions about it. I hope they add a night race again in the future.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just a quick reminder that early AP / DVC registration for the revamped 2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend opens this Tuesday, March 22nd @ 9:00 a.m. PST / 12:00 p.m. EST. General registration opens Tuesday, March 29th.

It will be very interesting to watch registration to see how the new 10k and challenge (as well as the move to Sunday morning for the half) goes over.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Wow, I tell you what. After reading some of the postings on social media in regards to the W&D changes, I sure appreciate the posters on Team MousePlanet. We can have a civil conversation without name calling and nasty comments if someone has a different opinion. It's brutal out there!
    I just wanted to chime in and second this view. Not only in just the runDisney community (although certainly that based on what I've seen on some Facebook groups), but Disney as a company. I've seen many other Disney fansites foster increasingly hostile attitudes towards both the company and those with dissenting opinions. I'm very glad that Mouseplanet as a whole is a forum for constructive criticism that doesn't slide into nasty territory.

(Sorry for slight derailing. But I just saw this comment and today made the decision to stop visiting one specific Disney site because of how increasingly nasty I've seen it become in the past year or two)

Blog Entries

Just a reminder that early AP / DVC registration opens TODAY, Tuesday March 22nd @ 9:00 a.m. PST / 12:00 EST! Good luck to all who are entering the scrum this morning. : )

And for those who are looking for a replacement night run, RnR Las Vegas registration opens April 5th. No word on $$$ but generally, this is one of the pricier RnR events. Still probably about $70 less than a runDisney half marathon but expect to be at least $100 or so.

RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The registration time is 9:00 am PDT/Noon EDT, not Standard time.

Cathy

Blog Entries

As always, having trouble finding the link. SMH

Blog Entries

Looks like everything went on hold within seconds of opening. So much for the changes causing slow sell-out....

At this point, glad I have my legacy spot if I don't get in during general registration next week.

9:28 a.m. - 10k sold out

9:45 a.m. - Lumiere's Challenge sold out

10:10 a.m. - 5k sold out

10:30 a.m. - half marathon sold out

Interesting that the half did pre-sell out given the last several events did not sell out their AP/DVC half marathon spots (or took a week to do so). They may have opened a smaller # of spots for AP/DVC or they hit a home run with the move to Sunday morning and addition of the 10k and challenge. We'll see what next week brings us.

Last edited by RunningFool; 03-22-2016 at 10:26 AM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Welp, try again next week.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Interesting that the half did pre-sell out given the last several events did not sell out their AP/DVC half marathon spots (or took a week to do so). They may have opened a smaller # of spots for AP/DVC or they hit a home run with the move to Sunday morning and addition of the 10k and challenge. We'll see what next week brings us.
    Hahaha I can see that. "Oh let's just open 100 spots and make people think it's real popular!"
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

Just a reminder that general registration for the revamped Wine & Dine Half Marathon weekend opens TODAY at 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

Given all the 'OMG's and general freakouts showing up on social media regarding registration opening, it looks like it may be a very busy morning. Good luck to all and drop a note to let us know what event(s) you signed up for.

RunningFool

Ugh. I hate race registration day!

15 minutes out and I'm already stressing!

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Blog Entries

9:10 a.m. - 10k on hold

9:20 a.m. - Challenge, Half Marathon, and 10k on hold

9:22 a.m. - Challenge, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k on hold

9:30 a.m. - Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k on hold. Challenge is back open

9:35 a.m. - Challenge, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k on hold

9:55 a.m. - Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k on hold. Challenge is back open

10:00 a.m. - Challenge, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k on hold

10:20 a.m. - Disney's Wine & Dine 10k is officially SOLD OUT. Challenge, Half Marathon, and 5k on hold

10:45 a.m. - Disney's Wine & Dine Half Marathon and Disney's Wine & Dine 10k are officially SOLD OUT! The Challenge and 5k remain on hold.

11:05 a.m. - Disney's Wine & Dine Half Marathon, Disney's Wine & Dine 10k, and Mickey's Holiday 5k are officially SOLD OUT! The Challenge remains on hold.

11:45 a.m. - Lumiere's Two Course Challenge, Disney's Wine & Dine Half Marathon, Disney's Wine & Dine 10k, and Mickey's Holiday 5k are officially SOLD OUT!

Last edited by RunningFool; 03-29-2016 at 10:54 AM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipmunkStar View Post
    Ugh. I hate race registration day!

15 minutes out and I'm already stressing!
    Sooooooooo, did you make it in?
    RunningFool

10K is sold out as of 10:20 AM

After a very stressful 45 minutes (and I was ready at 5 minutes 'til open), I made it in. runDisney site crapped out right when it opened, then I ended up in "line" then everything was on hold. But finally got in. That was by far the worst registration experience I've had with them - I've been lucky thus far. Guess I was due.

I'll be doing the challenge, my first Disney challenge ever, so a new experience for me. Husband and sister are in for the party.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJones View Post
    After a very stressful 45 minutes (and I was ready at 5 minutes 'til open), I made it in. runDisney site crapped out right when it opened, then I ended up in "line" then everything was on hold. But finally got in. That was by far the worst registration experience I've had with them - I've been lucky thus far. Guess I was due.

I'll be doing the challenge, my first Disney challenge ever, so a new experience for me. Husband and sister are in for the party.
    Congrats! I'll be joining you in the Challenge. Can't wait to see the medals.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Here's a shocker. The half marathon is now sold out. Given all the issues with the change to Sunday morning and the fact both Tinker and Disneyland Half Marathons are still open, this is going against expected results.

RunningFool

I thought about registering for the 10K, but it sold out before I could get in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I thought about registering for the 10K, but it sold out before I could get in.
    10k seems to be the 'hot' runDisney distance. Those races almost always sell out first.

And the 5k just closed. Challenge and kids races are all that remain and the Challenge continues on hold. Wonder if the race themes also helped drive registration?
    RunningFool