Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Roy E. Disney Resigns from Disney Board...

>>Those of us who have experienced the trashing of Walt's heritage first hand can only pray that the decade-long nightmare that started with Frank's death is at last beginning to end.
    "And when the world is truly ready for a new and better place, all these things will one day come to pass... in God's good time." - - Captain Nemo

2. # ADS

Originally posted by Mr. Wiggins
    Those of us who have experienced the trashing of Walt's heritage first hand can only pray that the decade-long nightmare that started with Frank's death is at last beginning to end.
    Isn't it possible to interpret events slightly differently? Eisner basically ousts Roy by not having him included in the slate of Directors up for election at the upcoming meeting. Rather than be humiliated, Disney quits. This points to Eisner's strength (at least on the Board). Another vocal critic is now gone, good for Eisner, no?

I'm not hip to all the factors at play on the Disney board, but besides the embarassing letter, it seems like this is all good for Eisner, so I'm not sure how it's the beginning of the end for him (unless the letter really sets off a firestorm among investors.)

Not really arguing a point here, exactly, but unless it's untrue that he was not nominated for re-election, he was gone either way, and not, seemingly by his own choosing. Again, how is this bad for Eisner.

Go Roy! Go Roy! Roy E. Disney Rocks!

I don't know if I should cry or cheer. Guess I'll do both:
    Hooray!
    Sob!

Originally posted by EandCDad
    I'm not hip to all the factors at play on the Disney board, but besides the embarassing letter, it seems like this is all good for Eisner, so I'm not sure how it's the beginning of the end for him (unless the letter really sets off a firestorm among investors.)
    Roy did this before. He resigned in '84 and backed Eisner to take control of the company from Ron Miller. His actions were wildly successful in turning the company around in the 80's.

Here's hoping he can do it again.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Maybe this is the kick from the ghosts of Disney past, present and future that Eisner needs to either change his Scrooge-like ways or leave.

While watching the Annette story today (with Len Cariou playing Walt) it occured to me that Eisner is not in the same league -- and probably never was. Walt sent Mickey to see Annette when she had her first child, Eisner probably would have had a secretary print out a form letter and sent a fruit basket.

GOOD FOR YOU ROY!

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Isn't it possible to interpret events slightly differently?
    Certainly. And the spin is just starting at TDB. The interpretations that Michael's people will float in the days to come promise to be wonders to behold -- if they don't surpass the "my dog ate my homework" level of originality in the early pronouncements justifying the dismal performance of DCA (bad weather, the internet) and Treasure Planet (those ne'er-do-well directors, damn them!), I'll be sorely disappointed.

Then again, there are a rather large number of creative folks (Roy refers to them in his letter) who have experienced WDC first-hand, both pre-and post-Frank, and who have the radiation burns to prove it. Don't be too surprised if their interpretation of events is somewhat less sanguine.

Roy has performed a great first strike; not necessarily by resigning, as it can be argued that he was pre-empting the board, but in 'outing' Mr. Eisner as the incompetent despot that he is. Anything Eisner has to say will be seen as reactive- I'm guessing he'll lay some smarmy sentiment on about how sad he is to see him go, etc, and then the spin doc's will start leaking derogatory stories about Roy. I just hope at least some of the people burned by Eisner step forward and show support for Mr. Disney.

Originally posted by Mr. Wiggins
    Then again, there are a rather large number of creative folks (Roy refers to them in his letter) who have experienced WDC first-hand, both pre-and post-Frank, and who have the radiation burns to prove it. Don't be too surprised if their interpretation of events is somewhat less sanguine.
    I think you missed my point. I wasn't attempting to say that what Roy Disney wrote in his letter wasn't true. Let's say it is all 100% true (and my opinion is that it is true.) My point is that CW on the board seems to be that Roy just couldn't take anymore of the shoddiness, lying, Eisner-led horribleness and took the high road and resigned in order to bring about this big shakeup while on the outside. However, that seems to ignore the fact that he was basically going to be gone by the next board meeting anyway. He was able to go out with a big bang by resigning, but he was gonna be gone anyway. Isn't that better for Eisner? Again, I'm not saying I hope it's better for Eisner, I'm not saying that it is better for the company. But it does seem to benefit Eisner. If Roy couldn't bring about the changes he wanted while Vice Chairman, how will he bring them about from the outside?

You ask me, Roy staying and Eisner going is better for the company, but I haven't heard a good reason why Roy going is bad for Eisner. If Roy did this while not basically on his way out anyway (through not being renominated), I'd probably agree more with the CW being expressed in the thread.

EandC Dad-

It's the way Roy resigned that could prove difficult for Eisner- he has told the world that the Emperor is naked. (Lol- my eight year old just drifted by and is demanding to know who at DL is naked?) Anyway, this could really gain momentum, especially if others get involved....This definitely has not helped Eisner, at any rate.

Originally posted by wendybeth
    Anyway, this could really gain momentum, especially if others get involved....
    I agree about the letter. If it picks up, then who knows...in my previous post, I wrote this:

Originally posted by wendybeth
    Roy has performed a great first strike; not necessarily by resigning, as it can be argued that he was pre-empting the board, but in 'outing' Mr. Eisner as the incompetent despot that he is.
    LOL, wendybeth! I love the "incompetent despot" line! It's such an eloquent way to put it, especially since I have used unprintable words in the past when describing Mr. Eisner and my perception of what he has done to the company (specifically, Disneyland) in the last few years.

I am also sad and glad at the same time for Roy Disney. But I am most happy about this letter being made public. I agree with you, wendybeth, when you are hopeful that those "in the know" will stand up for Roy, especially when the spin hits the fan.

Thanks, Kerrie- I tend to speak a lot of 'french' when referring to him too... I think I'm going to celebrate by watching 'Shrek' tonight

Eisner is such a bully! I want him gone so bad. Do you think he might end up leaving? Or do you think this is too little to late?

Grab Yer Torch and Pitchforks! It be time to Oust The Monster!

I am Potterized!

While I'm sad to see Roy leave tha board, I'm soooo glad that his comments became public (I know they had to release them for legal reasons).

Like many of you, I have come close to tears over how badly Eisner has tarnished the Disney legacy over the years. Roy's comments about building theme parks "on the cheap" was absolutely spot-on.

Here's hoping for another takeover!

Walt's nephew just pantsed Eisner at the 50 yard line during SuperBowl halftime.

No matter which way Eisner tries to spin this, the truth has been exposed.

I am SO PROUD of Roy today. I was really beginning to wonder. He has restored honor to his family's name.

Hopefully now he can lead a hostile takeover of the company and begin fixing everything that needs to be fixed.

IT IS ABOUT DAMN TIME. THANK YOU, ROY DISNEY.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

JimHillMedia posted an interesting article today with some info from an inside source at WDC.... apparently something else was in the works and who knows how this announcement by Roy will play out...

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/articles/12012003.1.htm

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I don't give a hoot about Eisner whether he survives or goes down in a stinking puddle.

But Roy has made my next decade by just outing the s.o.b. and slapping his phoney mug IN PUBLIC. If that's not vindication and chest bursting re-birth of pride in what we have believed then...well...

My name is not Disney...but it is today!

The courage and standing tall for not only the Family name but ALSO for the CONSUMER and the EXTENDED Disney Family...I'm stoked...will stay stoked and if Eisner hauls DL to the ground in a dust cloud I will remain stoked that Roy did the deed.

He's my Uncle Roy ya know.

MAJOR 'take' on Jim Hill Media!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! must Read.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/main/index.htm

As the news of Roy Disney's resignation letter continues to explode around the Web, Jim Hill reveals a lesser-known aspect of this story. That Disney's board of directors had allegedly already talked with Michael Eisner about his exiting the corporation. And Eisner had reportedly already agreed to vacate his CEO position by as early as September 2004!

opps..didn't see the previous post.

Last edited by Doodle Duck; 12-01-2003 at 09:01 AM.

Headless Chicken
    Originally posted by Doodle Duck
    And Eisner had reportedly already agreed to vacate his CEO position by as early as September 2004!
    Geesh, looks like the last coin that I tossed in Snow White's wishing well just might be the lucky one! If this turns out to be true, I say we start planning the celebration potluck now!

Roy is incredible. I bet he's made his uncle proud.
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar
    Originally posted by Disneyphile
    I say we start planning the celebration potluck now!
    I think we'd make the drive for that. Wonder if he likes Krispy Kremes?
    --
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

The letter Mark posted from Gold is really a mind blower with some tasty quotes and incredible details! Don't miss it! (link below)

The barn is burning...the Thoroughbreds have left and the rat is inside.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...threadid=22869

While I give kudos to both Disney and Gold for being bold in getting their licks in with their resignation letters, I'm still unsure how this benefits the Company. Eisner was going to squeeze them out regardless, and now they've both aired the dirty laundry and will be on their way. Sure, it's good for a day or two of juicy gossip in fandom, but I just don't know how it's going to change things at all. Roy simply does not have the clout he did back the first time he resigned. I don't see this as a power play at all - just the resignation of a marginalized and bitter board member.

Now Eisner has his rubber-stamp board all to himself without that pesky Disney fellow and his cronies griping at him all the time.

That said, you GO Roy and Stanley!

ROY DISNEY'S RESIGNATION

I think it is an absolute shame that Roy disney resigned. It's a sad day for all Disney enthusiasts. It is also a shame and a waste to keep Michael Eisner at the controls of this great company, as well as the governing board who supports him.

I wish all of the stockholders would unite and make a petition to remove not only Michael, but all of his cronies on the board of directors. It's obvious that these higher ups, no matter how they defend their actions, have no concept of how the company should progress, as well as the quality of the product that should be delivered to everyone, who expects and should deserve the highest in Disney family entertainment.

"While Roy's complaints are, I'm sure, heartfelt and he's serious about it, he just doesn't carry as much weight as he used to in the company," said Harold Vogel of Vogel Capital Management in New York.
    This is a quote from yet another article on Roy's comments. To me, it's a bunch of garbage and implies the sorry state of things today. While it may be true, what this quote implies is a total, complete and utter lack of respect for morals, principles and ideals within the company. Anybody over the age of 15 who hasn't been living in a cave knows that Disney has practically seperated itself from the ideals, morals and principles set forth by Walt Disney and proudly maintained until Frank Wells untimely death and Eisner's "complete" takeover in 1995.
    I am "completely" fed up & beyond -- way beyond -- angry; and will continue to fight the good fight; and hope to God that Disney someday retains its dignity.

This JUST IN MY FRIEND TOLD ME THAT MICHAEL EISNER JUST RESIGNED

RCT 2 Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Edition. Thanks goes out to RCT Timeline for this 2005 update.
    http://superiorpcs.smugmug.com/gallery/153427