Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Metal detectors; New security rules at Disneyland effective 12/17/15

Blog Entries

We had a couple of interesting experience this weekend. First one, we were traveling with a "pack" of teen girls. Adults went thru different bag checks, while girls went through one together. All 3 got pulled in for going thru the metal detectors, none of the adults did. They went through without incident.

Second, we were exiting out thru the Grand and noticed a guy being wanded over and over. Alarm kept going off at crotch level. I didn't hang around to figure out how they were going to "check it out..."

Oh, a 3rd one. I went in via the monorail. I am on an ECV. They required me to get off and walk thru the metal detector. Now, really it isn't a big deal, except I had my 5yo granddaughter. They told me she wasn't to go thru and she was to wait about 15 feet away. I said no, she would come with me and walk thru just before me. Now, while she is pretty well behaved, all I needed was her 15-20 feet from me when she gets a wild hair to go see (pick some random thing) and takes off running. There would be NO WAY I could catch her. They reluctantly allowed her to go thru.

Planning 3 trips at once...

2. # ADS

Metal detectors; New security rules at Disneyland effective 12/17/15

Good to hear BlkPearlCptn. It's good to know that others reported them too. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    They are 3rd party. Same as what the area athletic teams use.
    At bag checks, too? I know the metal detector people are 3rd party.
    Cathy

At bag check, I believe they are CMs. We've seen friends who are CMs rotate through as checkers on occasion.

I did not get any "lift your shirt" requests this past weekend during the SW Half Marathon weekend. I did, however, have to go through the metal detectors at last 4 times. Once, after bag check, I was looking down as I was trying to zip my backpack back up and almost ran into a "CSC" person who was literally stopped RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I stopped, looked up at him, and he slowly just walked away. It's almost as if if he was purposely trying to intimidate me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    At bag checks, too? I know the metal detector people are 3rd party.
    Sorry, no, CMs still man the bag peak area.

Yesterday was the first time my husband and I have gone to DL since they implemented this. Bag check was just the typical quick look-through our backpack. After we went through bag check, one of the metal detector people stopped both of us and asked if we had time for a random security check (ha, I almost wanted to say no, I didn't have time, just to see their reaction, but we obliged).

They were actually really pleasant with us. There were about 5 of them standing around in that area and one guy offered to hold our fairly heavy backpack for us while we went through the metal detector. And that was literally it, we walked through and they said that's it, we were done, and we were on our way. One lady in particular was really nice and cheerful. I was surprised since all of the hassles I've been hearing about, but it was also a pretty slow day so maybe crowd levels change circumstances and how they act.

I would NOT have been happy if they asked me to lift up my shirt or anything like that, and I would not have done it. I would've asked to speak to a lead or the Anaheim PD; that's not ok and would've made me very uncomfortable! Sorry that has happened.

I was asked to lift my shirt and expose my belt line once over Memorial Weekend in 2007 or 2008. That was the first and only time for that request (so far). Since the metal detectors have gone in, I've only visited to watch the fireworks from the plaza (AP expired last June :'( ) and have been "randomly" screened each time.

I was at work earlier this week and spent about two hours standing on the other side of two metal detectors directing people where to go next. I was surprised by how many people, mostly women, who would voluntarily lift their shirt before passing through the detector to show their belt. I thought of this thread as I kept seeing it happen over and over again. I think I'd be more likely to step to the side and take a belt off, or at least only lift it to show the bottom of the belt. Many of these women just yanked their shirt up to expose most of their abdomen. And security had someone standing by with a hand scanner in plain view, they weren't trying to strip search anyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moedad View Post
    I was asked to lift my shirt and expose my belt line once over Memorial Weekend in 2007 or 2008. That was the first and only time for that request (so far). Since the metal detectors have gone in, I've only visited to watch the fireworks from the plaza (AP expired last June :'( ) and have been "randomly" screened each time.
    We've been asked on NYE in the past to open our jackets to show beltlines, but never bellies. In the over 50 passes through bag check since this started, we have never had a true issue (other than the one where they wanted to separate me from my GD).

On Friday, after going to the Star Wars Half Marathon expo, my 21-yr old nephew and daughter were going to Disneyland through the monorail entrance. We had picked up bibs and shirts and gotten some merchandise. And my nephew had come straight to the expo from the airport and had a big backpack. The plan was for the kids to go into the parks, and I was going back to the room to drop off everything. My nephew had a Salute to Military ticket voucher that I had purchased for him. He has his own military ID, but I paid for his ticket at my base. The gate CM told us that the person purchasing the ticket (me) HAD to be the one showing military ID at the first entry (the purchaser's name is printed on the voucher). I asked if I could just show my ID and not go through the line, but they said no, I had to go all the way through with him...including having all the bags screened. That was fun. I'm sure everyone behind us in line loved that. Then...we all got asked to go through the metal detectors. There wasn't even enough room for me to put all the bags on the table, lol! I wasn't upset...just thought it was very comical. After screening, we went through the turnstile, got nephew his ticket, they went up to the monorail, and I exited. As I came out the security guy looked at me and said "Why did you go through all that, if you're just leaving?" Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkPearlCptn View Post
    Even though it was,a few weeks ago. We know which days and approx what times. 8: 30 and 10: 00 in the mornings. Now you all have got me thinking and I will be reporting it. Hope it's not too late. Honestly I thought they were looking for a weapon in a waistband
    sounds like unprofessional security... most concealed carriers carry on their waist in their back or side not their bellies. Anaheim PD would know this, but it appears Disney security does not...or those screeners have a belly fetish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDuckFan1955 View Post
    sounds like unprofessional security... most concealed carriers carry on their waist in their back or side not their bellies. Anaheim PD would know this, but it appears Disney security does not...or those screeners have a belly fetish.
    The screeners are actually a private company and they do major athletic events and concerts. They have been extremely professional with us.

My husband, brother-in-law, sister-in-law and I went to Disneyland on Friday 1/8. My husband was the only one asked to go through the metal detectors. We all thought the process was handled very professionally and found the screeners to be very pleasant.