Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tea Service at Steakhouse 55!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    My mom and I have been talking about going to tea for a while. She was asking questions about it based on my Facebook post, but I told her that for the price, I thought we could have a better experience elsewhere.
    Well, if you want to fly to WDW, the new tea they just announced there looks fantastic - and the price is QUITE a contrast - the most expensive is $45, and that includes a cheese course. (No bubbly though, sorry)

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...ch-clubresort/
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

...My mom and I have been talking about going to tea for a while. She was asking questions about it based on my Facebook post, but I told her that for the price, I thought we could have a better experience elsewhere.
    Mr. Tea's sentiments exactly. We have another reservation for the tea at S55 next month, but given the experience to price ratio, he suggested that we either put the money toward dinner at NR (hey, I won't argue!) or toward afternoon tea at one of our favorite spots.

My mom and I have been talking about going to tea for a while. She was asking questions about it based on my Facebook post, but I told her that for the price, I thought we could have a better experience elsewhere.
    High tea in the Garden Court of the Palace Hotel in San Francisco is lovely. And then you can walk down the lobby to have cocktails at the Pied Piper under the Maxfield Parish painting it is named for.
    "Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress." -Gandhi

Lisa's review will run on MousePlanet tomorrow.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Mr. Tea's sentiments exactly. We have another reservation for the tea at S55 next month, but given the experience to price ratio, he suggested that we either put the money toward dinner at NR (hey, I won't argue!) or toward afternoon tea at one of our favorite spots.
    If you want to PM me some suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Also, no surprise here, but I would highly endorse the money going to NR.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraTD View Post
    High tea in the Garden Court of the Palace Hotel in San Francisco is lovely. And then you can walk down the lobby to have cocktails at the Pied Piper under the Maxfield Parish painting it is named for.
    But a bit of a commute. But I might have to put that on a list for my next visit to the Bay Area.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

One of my favorite, but now closed tea places had the option to order a full size sandwich in addition to a smaller tea service. I like that option for lunch and wish they'd offer something like that. I don't have any special fascination or attachment to Steakhouse 55, so I think for $70 I'll stay local and go to the Peninsula Hotel if I want high tea.

+1 on the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills for afternoon tea. (High tea is a light supper served at the "high table," aka the dining table, vs. afternoon tea or cream tea which is what S55 is doing. Don't mean to be pedantic, but there is a difference.) The price has gone up over the years, but the quality and service are still excellent. And for a small cost, they will add an extra plate of sandwiches to your tea so that the meal is more substantial.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well, I've only been to one tea - and that was at the Fairmont Empress Hotel on Victoria Island, Canada. Went to BC for my 10th anniversary (that was 1998). Wonderful. Maybe its time for another somewhere ;-).

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

We've been there! It was a lovely room. Half of the other people were from our cruise, so it was fun seeing many familiar faces around us.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I'm partial to the Rose Tree Cottage in Pasadena, as well as the little tea place at Huntington Gardens.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Rose Tree Cottage used to have a wonderful cat. She had a basket in the front garden area by the other cottages. Sadly, she got catnapped and was not found again. The story even made the TV news!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Did the Empress hotel on my honeymoon. It was awesome.

I might have to try Rose Tree because that's two recommendations, and roses are my thing!

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    (High tea is a light supper served at the "high table," aka the dining table, vs. afternoon tea or cream tea which is what S55 is doing. Don't mean to be pedantic, but there is a difference.)
    For sure. My first experience with "true" high tea was seeing my XBF's BIL being served beans on toast when he got home from work.

Alternatively, canned spaghetti on toast.

It ain't all strawberries and cream, that is for sure!
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    For sure. My first experience with "true" high tea was seeing my XBF's BIL being served beans on toast when he got home from work.

Alternatively, canned spaghetti on toast.

It ain't all strawberries and cream, that is for sure!
    Been there, done that, can't believe I ate that. And had to put on a big smile for a friend's mum who was so pleased to invite "the American" to Sunday high tea. Never was a fan of Heinz Baked Beans or canned spaghetti. Can't say that putting them on toast changed my mind.

Might be a good time to move this discussion of other tea options elsewhere.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I just read Lisa's review, and it's interesting HOW different her experience was (and how much different the server makes to a dining experience!)

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

VERY Different. Our server didn't even tell us we could have our teas iced that I remember. Because I remember that when AVP asked for hers iced, I thought "Oh, I didn't even think about asking for that."

Hi Adrienne and Adrienne (Adriennes?). I saw your article last night and realized we were there at about the same time, maybe off 30 minutes or so. I think the server was the main difference for us. She was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions without hesitation. She even gave me a map to the Hollywood photos hanging in the restaurant! I agree that the training might be the big thing for cast members. I've never been to a traditional tea before so didn't know if the food quantity was typical. We ate so slowly because we were taking photos and yakking, so we were full by the end. I agree with you that there needed to be more Disney details; a guest wouldn't really know it was a Disney tea based on the food. The kids party at least has the sandwiches cut out in MM shapes. It was fun and I can say I had tea at DL. Our server did say that the restaurant does plan on opening up one of the larger rooms to accommodate larger parties (14) so it sounds like it will be around for awhile.

One of our "must dos" every time we go to WDW is have tea at the Grand Floridian. For us it is always a huge meal and a chance to decompress as you sit at the comfy couch style tables and look out over the lake.

When we saw that DL was offering a tea service my daughter jumped on the idea. Thanks for all the detailed reviews. It sounds as if it is nothing like the WDW experience and that truly helps us make our plans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    One of our "must dos" every time we go to WDW is have tea at the Grand Floridian. For us it is always a huge meal and a chance to decompress as you sit at the comfy couch style tables and look out over the lake.

When we saw that DL was offering a tea service my daughter jumped on the idea. Thanks for all the detailed reviews. It sounds as if it is nothing like the WDW experience and that truly helps us make our plans.

I just posted a request for recent reviews of the Tea at GF. Have you been in the last 3 years? If you have can you post a review in my thread in the WDW Good Eats forum?
    Thanks !
    Going on our first Disney Cruise
    Very Merrytime Cruise 12/5/2022
    ~Katrina

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by wwu1990 View Post
    ... I think the server was the main difference for us. She was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions without hesitation. She even gave me a map to the Hollywood photos hanging in the restaurant! I agree that the training might be the big thing for cast members. I've never been to a traditional tea before so didn't know if the food quantity was typical...
    I think these are the two key points for us. Our server was wonderful, warm, very well informed and helpful. She had tried all the teas and could give opinions about which she thought tasted better hot or cold, sweetened or not, with milk or lemon or plain. Her hard work and excellent service made the experience for us. The generosity with the teas was very nice. Being able to try all the different kinds without any extra fee was novel. On the other hand, the quality of the food (with the exception of the salad) was not nearly up to the standard we expect for afternoon tea. Maybe if there had been more Disney details, that would have compensated for the mediocre food. But the friends we were with had never been to tea before and had such a good time. So overall, we're glad we did this, but we won't do it again unless the food improves.

I think our server was very knowledgeable about the food and drink. Maybe that's where we lucked out but there should not have been inconsistencies with cast members; especially for the price. I totally agree it felt like tea anywhere; really no Disney aspects to it other than the photos on the wall which had some with Walt in them. (Note: Our server gave us a "map" of the photos to identify who was who in Hollywood at the time). Our server said the Kids Tea Party has been fun for the kids and at least they get the sandwiches (or scones) shaped like MM. It's interesting that the restaurant was filling up just after we left. At 1:00-ish, it was still spaced every other table so it was a bit more relaxed and cozy. Thanks for the comments.

For anyone interested, the map to the photos on the walls is available any time to those who ask. We've asked at breakfast and had a fun time playing name-that-celebrity while eating.

Headless Chicken

One of my very first high tea experiences was at The Langham in Pasadena, which pretty much spoiled me (some of the food was even topped with gold leaf flakes). DCL Palo's high tea comes close, as does the one at the Huntington Gardens. For $65 at S55, I would expect the extra special Disney touches, and a lot more than just little egg salad sandwiches, especially that I can have a full exquisite dinner at Napa Rose for just $35 more.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.