Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Online check in Q

Online check in Q

If you use this feature can you note a room request in the reservation section or is it just plain ole potluck? Those who have used is it worth using?

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have a specific room request, it would be best to have them in the reservation notes beforehand. Your TA can do it or if you booked directly with Disney, they can do it as well.

You are not really going to be able to add any special requests using online check in, if I recall correctly. Though the system does give you a limited choice of room preferences to choose from.

Even with online check in - nothing is guaranteed. If you have a room request that you are looking forward to, I would recommend a trip to the front desk to check in.

We do Online Check In and the past several times we still ended up needing to go to the front desk for one thing or another about 1/2 the time.
    Most of the time it was due to Magic Band issues or we did not get a room number texted to us.

Not really a big deal - just be aware.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Online check in Q

On line check in gives you certain 'drop down' box choices. They are not guaranteed. I have made requests for 10 on property WDW stays (never asked for a higher grade room than I have paid for) and never had one of them met, proving the point it is just a request, not a guarantee. I have used on line check in, sent faxes, called them, used the Touring Plans automated request service. Zilcho every time. The only request I have ever had met was for a preferred room at POR twice which I got because I paid for it both times. My requests within the preferred room locations were not met. I did get a room changed at check in at the Beach Club. I wanted a full size pull out bed so the kids could both sleep separately. They have two sizes of pull out beds (which I knew only due to the power of the inter web!) and I asked them to check if our allocated room had a full sized one at the point of check in. It didn't, but they said they had upgraded me to a better view. I didn't want that I wanted the bigger pull out bed and they did find me a room with this before we left the front desk. Took them some time and someone going and physically checking several vacant rooms but they did it and I was happy. I have never asked them to try and meet any other requests when our on line check in requests have not been met as their significance has not been the same kind of two week impact deal breaker. I hope you have better luck than me!!!!!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    ... sent faxes, called them, used the Touring Plans automated request service. Zilcho every time.
    A side note for conversation sake (not toward you, Scooby) for the longest time its been said, and told to me as well directly by resort room planners, that the best and easiest way to get any sort of request listed (Notice how I didnt say fulfilled...)is to just list them in the reservation notes. Of course, fulfilling them - different story. However, I think Scooby demonstrated my very point in the comments above. If you really want to try to get a specific room request, list it, then talk about it at the front desk. I think I get maybe 40% of my requests met, but most of them are very general such as "away from elevator" or similar.

Faxing, calling,etc, is pretty much a waste of time and they would prefer that you didnt, again, per feedback received. I really dont know why different books, etc, even recommend this anymore.

Your mileage may vary...

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Supposedly the advantage to online check-in is that they will text you with your room number, and then you can avoid the front desk altogether. I've used this twice and both times they neglected to get me a room number. I had to go to the front desk anyway, which negated any advantage of the online thing. So it's never worked for me, but it might for you . . . . .

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Supposedly the advantage to online check-in is that they will text you with your room number, and then you can avoid the front desk altogether. I've used this twice and both times they neglected to get me a room number. I had to go to the front desk anyway, which negated any advantage of the online thing. So it's never worked for me, but it might for you . . . . .
    Yea... about that...
    Since they started testing that system, its only worked for us about 25% of the time. We either had Magic Band issues or we still had to go to the front desk for the room number.
    Or we didnt even get a txt message at all.

So, while it does work well for some, its not something I personally depend on.

Online check in Q

On our last trip in July we had done a split stay. Our initial arrival was great, room was ready and we were able to go straight to it. We had to go to the front desk on the 2nd resort. Batting 50% so far.

Online check in Q

If you contact Disney by any communication means for a room request what else would they do with that info other than add it to your reservation notes?????? I am obviously missing something but I don't get that. Where else would they store your request?

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    If you contact Disney by any communication means for a room request what else would they do with that info other than add it to your reservation notes?????? I am obviously missing something but I don't get that. Where else would they store your request?
    What used to be the theory is that by contacting the room planner at your resort directly would result in making sure that your request would be seen and hopefully fulfilled. The thing is that so many people were doing it, it just became overwhelming to those receiving the communications.

Now, you are going to hear that guests have done so and it still works for them and so on. Then you are going to hear the (sometimes irate) stories on how a guest didnt get their requests and it "ruined" their vacation. Doing it via ressie notes and the online check in options somewhat levels out the playing field. However, guests have got to have one simple understanding - requests are never guaranteed. Respectfully - some will never understand that.

So put requests in the notes and notate in online check in, but if you really have an important request that has a decent shot of being able to be reasonably fulfilled, just see a cast member at check in. You still may not get the room you want, but you can at least nicely discuss it with a person that has some ability to work things out.

Sometimes just talking to someone in a nice, pleasing, upbeat, professional tone will go a long, long way.

So it seems as if the solution I have been employing over the past few years is the best one. I go to the front desk, check in, go to the room they assign me, and if it's not acceptable I go back to the front desk and request something different. In every case when I've done this, the front desk folks bend over backwards to make sure I get the room that works for me.

And this is why I don't like online check-in - it removes that final contact with a real person who can determine if the room that the computer says I'm in is really going to be the room that will satisfy me.

- James Taylor

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How do you deal with that, Dan, if your room isn't ready? Or do you generally arrive late enough that that isn't an issue?

Cathy

They have a tendency to tell everyone that their room isn't ready yet, but after checking they almost always find a room. I've checked in as early as 11am, and only once did I have to wait till after lunch for a room. I don't think I ever wait till the official check in time (3pm? 4pm?). I try to check in (and I remember how much you don't like the word checkin!) when I arrive, which is usually late morning or early afternoon, and rarely have any trouble.

- James Taylor

I live here and I've placed -last minute, day of- reservations and regular couple of weeks out affairs. When it's an inexpensive trip and I use the lower end resorts I will do online check-in. The only thing I need from the front desk is a parking pass for my car. But I know my car isn't going to be towed and I just pick up the pass when I come back to the resort and eat.
    If I'm staying at the Contemporary or AK, I will go to the front desk to hopefully get the room I want. I've also checked in online and still gone to the desk just to inquire about my room location. Please understand that I usually get what I want because I go during very slow times and am local and very, very flexible. I also know exactly what rooms to ask for to get a good view, close to food, shortest walk from my car, monorail, bus stop. I'll laugh with the front desk and tell them that they can get to my room last. "I'm local, I'm not going anywhere." I think that gives them a little flexibility.