Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Various Disneyland Resort Questions

Various Disneyland Resort Questions

Hi there! My family and I are returning for a trip to the Resort after an 8 year absence! Will be at the Resort Jan 7-9, 2016. Thursday - Saturday. 7 and 8 at the parks on the Crowd Forcast.

We are very excited to see Carsland especially, and that is where my first question comes from...
    Thinking of starting our first of three days in the parks at Radiator Springs Racers of course, and then heading to Disneyland.
    My question is, it seems like most people just head straight to the Fast Pass machines. Do most people NOT head straight to the line and lineup? Would it be better to just head straight to the line and line up and ride right away, then head to Disneyland, or does the line immediately become huge, like when Hollywood Studios at WDW opens, in regards to Toy Story?
    Also, how efficient is the single rider line for RSR?

Second question - are the Fastpassed linked now between DCA and Disneyland, or are they still two separate systems?

Third question - if planning to watch Paint the Night / Fireworks on Main Street, how early do they let you grab a spot, and how early is recommended to do so?
    Also, do they let you move right into the middle of Main Street for the Fireworks immediately after the parade?

Fourth question - is the Matterhorn still teeth rattling and bone jarring, or was it improved with the latest refurbishment?

Last question (for now) - For the one day of early Magic Hours entry (or whatever it's called), which day would you experts recommend - the Thursday, Friday or Saturday? Note that tiers of APs are blocked out that Saturday.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

2. # ADS

I do not trust the park crowd forecast. It has been stating that Fridays this fall are 4 or 5. They are more like 9.

1) I go to the fast pass and get one when first arrive. Then go to other attraction till in window.

4) Matterhorn was bad on the right side, but the left side was enjoyable. Everyone in our party agreed that the left side was a lot less jarring. I even got pretty wet on the left side, more than Splash.

Thanks jmorgan! I forgot to ask if one side or the other of Matterhorn was better. Thanks for that!
    I do know that the forecasts are just that - forecasts. Hopefully, it is far LESS crowded than forecast.]

One more question - if by some chance a park reaches capacity, if you leave, can you get back in since you were in the park already, or do you have to wait like everyone else to get in at that point? I am guessing the latter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DizneGreg View Post
    Hi there! My family and I are returning for a trip to the Resort after an 8 year absence! Will be at the Resort Jan 7-9, 2016. Thursday - Saturday. 7 and 8 at the parks on the Crowd Forcast.

We are very excited to see Carsland especially, and that is where my first question comes from...
    Thinking of starting our first of three days in the parks at Radiator Springs Racers of course, and then heading to Disneyland.
    My question is, it seems like most people just head straight to the Fast Pass machines. Do most people NOT head straight to the line and lineup? Would it be better to just head straight to the line and line up and ride right away, then head to Disneyland, or does the line immediately become huge, like when Hollywood Studios at WDW opens, in regards to Toy Story?
    Also, how efficient is the single rider line for RSR?

Second question - are the Fastpassed linked now between DCA and Disneyland, or are they still two separate systems?

Third question - if planning to watch Paint the Night / Fireworks on Main Street, how early do they let you grab a spot, and how early is recommended to do so?
    Also, do they let you move right into the middle of Main Street for the Fireworks immediately after the parade?

Fourth question - is the Matterhorn still teeth rattling and bone jarring, or was it improved with the latest refurbishment?

Last question (for now) - For the one day of early Magic Hours entry (or whatever it's called), which day would you experts recommend - the Thursday, Friday or Saturday? Note that tiers of APs are blocked out that Saturday.

Thanks so much for any and all help!
    Thanks jmorgan! I forgot to ask if one side or the other of Matterhorn was better. Thanks for that!
    I do know that the forecasts are just that - forecasts. Hopefully, it is far LESS crowded than forecast.]

One more question - if by some chance a park reaches capacity, if you leave, can you get back in since you were in the park already, or do you have to wait like everyone else to get in at that point? I am guessing the latter.
    1. If you want to ride twice, I would ride once, then go get a fastpass.
    2. Yes, they are separate systems.
    3. 7-730p at least, and yes, you can move inot the street right after.
    4. Yes, very jarring. Also, Fantasyland side isn't nearly as bad.
    5. If you are using EE from a park hopper, your options will be Thurs or Sat. I would probably opt for Thursday.
    6. Capacity - If you are outside when the fire marshall declares the park full, you will need to wait until the fire marshall allows more people to enter. This USUALLY doesn't happen during periods such as your, BUT with it being the final days before the park closes down rides and Aladdin, all bets are off. IF it closes, it will usually reopen after the day parade.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

There are different levels of closures. First they stop selling 1 day tickets. Ending with a hard close where NO ONE is getting in until people start leaving. Now, normal gate closures are 4th of July and the 2 weeks of Christmas, but there was a random Friday this September that triggered some (Dapper day).
    Matterhorn. We find the right side to be smoother. The new sleds, sitting upright, not leaned back helps. If you lean back the angle rolls you onto your tailbone and that hurts, if you can sit upright, even holding the rail in front of you helps immensely. It is a bit smoother as they had to replace track, but it is still a 50 year old roller coaster. The new sleds are very heavy (they cracked the old track) so expect to actually get a bit wet at the end.
    RSR. Head there first, and then grab a FP for later, since they are linked, they don't go quite as fast as they did. Single rider line works wonders (Think on and off in 20 minutes with a 90 standby line). Make sure everyone is over 7, and comfortable (we learned my bff did not like using it). They are very precise about breaking up parties, so it doesn't become abused. So expect to at least be in separate rows, but likely, different cars. Don't skip Mater's. Sleeper hit. It doesn't truly spin, but rather whips you and is loads of fun.

Don't miss Aladdin, closes for good on January 10th, Or F!, closes for Star Wars land construction on the 10th along with the railroad and all of the Rivers of America. (These things may bring crowds)

Thunder Mountain is whisper quiet since the refurb, and has an awesome new element in the last lift hill/tunnel.

Fastpasses. Are not linked between parks, and Buzz is off-grid. Ana/Elsa is not linked, but sing along is. Olaf is a separate system altogether.

MM. Since you said one, I am assuming ticket based, not staying on property. Only resort guests get EE/MM to DCA (Friday) so, it is out. I have read that if you can get up and moving, Saturday is better for DL's MM.

Great tips guys - except for the part where there are different opinions of which side of Matterhorn is smoother, and which day to use for MM.
    I had not heard that Buzz was separate from the FP system at Disneyland. That is good to know! Is Roger Rabbit still separate as well?

We will def. use the single rider line for RSR. I have two teen boys who won't mind at all!

I think we will try to do Aladdin on Thursday to avoid the larger crowds. My guess is Sunday will be the crazy busy day for that and the RR and River attractions and the BBQ and such. Thankfully, we will not be there that day.

And thanks for the info on when we can use MM and where. Did not know that.

Matterhorn is really a matter of opinion. Mal said Fantasyland side, which is the right side. They offer single rider for it now, if the line is under 20 minutes the SR line doesn't help and can take longer.
    Thursday MM is the intuitive choice, the thinking behind Saturday though is it is earlier, so more people opt for the midweek ones. That is why I said if you can do Saturday, it works. You are really fine either way.
    The only one off grid is Buzz. The Star Tours FP machines are located between the Buzz entrance and the store. They took the right 2 (looking at the building) and made them Buzz again over the summer, with a chain separating them.
    Oh, and RSR FP machines are located near Its Tough to Be a Bug, not in Carsland. The entrance gate is across from the Waterfall, and the exit is just inside Bug's land.

F! FP machines are carts located behind Thunder Mountain, facing the Petting zoo.

That is strange about Matterhorn. I never thought about the different sides having different rides till this year. Usually our group only does Matterhorn once during our trip since it is so jarring. This year seven of us went on the left side for the first time and everyone said it was not bad at all. In fact we all went on again right after and had the same experience. Later that day we came back and went on the right side. All seven of us got off saying it was the old terrible ride. Then one of us suggested that maybe it is side that matters. So we all went back to the left and once again have a pleasant ride. We rode the Matterhorn 7 or 8 times this last trip and tried the right side once more with same results. I guess the best thing to do is try it your self and see what side you like.

Just to be clear, the right side of Matterhorn is the Fantasyland side, right?

candles71, thanks for the info!!

Thoughts on Magic Morning.

The general idea is go at the earliest opportunity so you are not too tired to get up early. That would be one reason to go on Thursday. The other is that Thursday will likely be less crowded, especially in the morning, than Saturday. Of course you said you wanted to go to RSR first thing. So if that's the case going on Thursday may not work well for your family. Also, if the Saturday MM is at 7am and the Thursday MM is at 9am, the Saturday would be better since it's 2 hours earlier and people don't like to get up. But mostly likely Saturday is at 8am and Thursday at 9am, I don't think the 1-hour difference is that big of a game changer. Another thing to keep in mind is that Friday is an early entry at DCA for hotel occupants, so Carsland will already be busy with guests before you can go to the park that day. I agree that it doesn't really matter which day you choose. Just consider your priorities. Is it more important to get on RSR as soon as possible and as many times as possible, or more important to have a good MM experience. Perhaps wait until the schedule is posted and you know the actual times.

Just to be clear, the right side of Matterhorn is the Fantasyland side, right?
    Yes. As you are looking at the Chalet, with Small world behind you, you enter to the right for the Fantasyland side, and go left for the Tommorowland side.
    candles71, thanks for the info!!
    Of course.

One more note about FP and MM. The FP machines do not turn on until park opening, so Friday, even though there are hotel guests in the park already, they can't get FPs until opening time, if you want to send a runner.

I just used the Disneyland app that gives wait times and found it pretty accurate and helpful. What was great was if and when an attraction was temporarily closed.

I would use the MM on Thursday because everyone will be fresh and excited. Often we head straight to the line and send my DH to get FP for later. Single rider for RSR is very efficient, but they will close it if it reaches 45 minute wait. I've found that the Toy Story line gets big incrementally. So often we start our day over in the Boardwalk area, sending someone to get us FP for RSR or Soarin.

This is very true, everyone heads straight to Carsland so Toy Story often has a very small wait first thing in the morning.

Two great ideas - send my family to line for RSR, while I get FP for later. OR Just get FP for RSR and head straight to Toy Story. How is it possible that Toy Story does not have FP?

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Two great ideas - send my family to line for RSR, while I get FP for later. OR Just get FP for RSR and head straight to Toy Story. How is it possible that Toy Story does not have FP?
    I think it is a space issue, since the WDW version has it.

On a non-early entry day at DCA (Thursday for your trip), I like to pick up a FP for RSR on my way back to ride TSMM if I'm there for rope drop; usually I can ride TSMM 2-3 times before the line starts to get long. Then I can get another FP for RSR once I enter my return window for the first one. After two hours, you can pick up another FP for either Soarin' or ToT (or California Screamin'...they also have single rider for both Soarin' & Screamin')...it's all about the planning & preparation!

I also vote for MM on Saturday morning, provided you are there before it starts; hit a couple of your favorite attractions before rope drop & get a head start on your fun!
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021