Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How's Your Training Going? (V4.0 We're Still Awesome!)

Well, I did the 5K and 10K this past weekend, and got a lot of miles walking around the parks...guess that part doesn't really count though, huh? I'm currently training for the Nike Women's Half in San Francisco on October 18th (that's less than 6 weeks!). I'm following Galloway's Disneyland Half training plan (I just changed all the dates), and I should have done 11 miles this weekend. Next weekend is supposed to be a 4 mile with Magic Mile, but I'll try to do the 11 miles then instead and get back on track.

I ran the Salinas Valley Half Marathon on August 1st and did better than I expected (didn't feel like I was prepared enough). Only my 2nd half (Tink was the first) and it was a PR at 3:25. That's a 15:41 pace. Not bad considering it was hot and had some rolling hills (and one big one called "The Beast of Eden"). But that pace will get me swept at Nike, so I need to kick it up a notch. Wish it weren't so hot right now!

Anyone have some suggestions for increasing my pace...even just a little. I do run/walk intervals, and I'm planning to play with that a bit. Been doing 45/30 intervals lately. My pace on short runs (5 miles or less) has been anywhere between about 13:00 and 14:30, but I can't maintain that on the longer runs. The Nike requires 15mm, and I'll certainly be in the last corral for the start, so I can't count on much of a buffer.

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgood View Post
    Well, I did the 5K and 10K this past weekend, and got a lot of miles walking around the parks...guess that part doesn't really count though, huh? I'm currently training for the Nike Women's Half in San Francisco on October 18th (that's less than 6 weeks!). I'm following Galloway's Disneyland Half training plan (I just changed all the dates), and I should have done 11 miles this weekend. Next weekend is supposed to be a 4 mile with Magic Mile, but I'll try to do the 11 miles then instead and get back on track.

I ran the Salinas Valley Half Marathon on August 1st and did better than I expected (didn't feel like I was prepared enough). Only my 2nd half (Tink was the first) and it was a PR at 3:25. That's a 15:41 pace. Not bad considering it was hot and had some rolling hills (and one big one called "The Beast of Eden"). But that pace will get me swept at Nike, so I need to kick it up a notch. Wish it weren't so hot right now!

Anyone have some suggestions for increasing my pace...even just a little. I do run/walk intervals, and I'm planning to play with that a bit. Been doing 45/30 intervals lately. My pace on short runs (5 miles or less) has been anywhere between about 13:00 and 14:30, but I can't maintain that on the longer runs. The Nike requires 15mm, and I'll certainly be in the last corral for the start, so I can't count on much of a buffer.
    Try switching up your intervals to 40/20. See what happens.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

The Nike corrals are HUGE. Get to the front of your corral and you'll have a 5-10 minute buffer. My fastest mile ever was at Nike...on a downhill Use the downhills to make up some time if you lose time going uphill. I know I sure do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkmom View Post
    The Nike corrals are HUGE. Get to the front of your corral and you'll have a 5-10 minute buffer. My fastest mile ever was at Nike...on a downhill Use the downhills to make up some time if you lose time going uphill. I know I sure do.
    Thanks, Tinkmom. Yeah, I think there are 4 corrals...for 25,000 runners! At least I'm staying close enough to walk to the start. Looks like once I get past the giant hill at mile 10 it's "all downhill" to the finish (or at least downhill then flat!)

Just hoping my knees can survive the downs. Anyone have tips for downhill running? My knees really kill when I train on hills.

Just hoping my knees can survive the downs. Anyone have tips for downhill running? My knees really kill when I train on hills.
    Lean forward a bit, not backwards. Quicken your cadence and land with a flat foot. Keep a slight bend in your leg to soften the impact. Focus ahead of you down the hill, not at your feet.

Practice form on a gradual slope, and find a softer surface than pavement if you can.

That climb up Lincoln Drive is really long. We ended up walking a lot of it. Don't forget the hill at mile 2; it's shorter but still a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Try switching up your intervals to 40/20. See what happens.
    Thanks, Fairest. I'll try that. I was thinking of increasing my run time (I'm not a very fast walker, so my pace slows quite a bit during my walks...I've been working on that), but maybe shorter intervals for both might make a difference. I've heard Jeff Galloway suggest something like that, too, when asked about increasing speed.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Lean forward a bit, not backwards. Quicken your cadence and land with a flat foot. Keep a slight bend in your leg to soften the impact. Focus ahead of you down the hill, not at your feet.

Practice form on a gradual slope, and find a softer surface than pavement if you can.

That climb up Lincoln Drive is really long. We ended up walking a lot of it. Don't forget the hill at mile 2; it's shorter but still a beast.
    Thanks for the tips, Steph. I tend to lean back on the downhills and strike with my heels (I'm usually a mid-foot/fore-foot striker). I'll try to not do that!

I wanted to try all these things today during my maintenance run, but it's just. too. hot. I ran a flat mile and a half and was DONE! Must get up early tomorrow!

I was thinking of increasing my run time (I'm not a very fast walker, so my pace slows quite a bit during my walks...I've been working on that), but maybe shorter intervals for both might make a difference.
    I am also not a fast walker, and i'm definitely not fast when I run (when I do the walk run intervals, I find it amusing to see someone completely catch me and then bypass me while walking, as I assume it's less strenuous for them to walk than it is for me to walk/run/walk/run, etc.). I have started/participated in/successfully finished two nike women's half marathons in SF. So I believe in your ability to finish it!
    - Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

I am feeling kind of frustrated with lots of small injuries. I am 4 weeks into couch to 5K. It is going fine, I felt really good two days ago, today I had a rough day and couldn't make the final 3 minute jog. I think it was partly because I changed the course which had me cutting through the park at the start of that three minutes which always feels harder for me. I thought maybe it was my shoes, but I went to the running store and he said my shoes were fine. He did say he didn't think I needed all the support the Brooks addiction were giving me and we ended up with the Ghost. I also have seen no change on the scale. I am not running to lose weight persay, but I know the running part would be easier with less pounds. Ugh- I will keep plugging away at it but having a downer day!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After a 4 day move in journey - load van, drive to Stanford (stop in solvang on the way) , unload, walk campus a couple of times, shop and install missing items, and driving back to Irvine my legs could not make it today. I wanted to go 4 miles but could only go 2. No strength after four 10k step days.

Also, I've been training for four weeks at a 20-30 interval (I raced that) and I'm still huffing and puffing. I'm surprised. Oh well. 8 weeks to go.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    I am feeling kind of frustrated with lots of small injuries. I am 4 weeks into couch to 5K. It is going fine, I felt really good two days ago, today I had a rough day and couldn't make the final 3 minute jog. I think it was partly because I changed the course which had me cutting through the park at the start of that three minutes which always feels harder for me. I thought maybe it was my shoes, but I went to the running store and he said my shoes were fine. He did say he didn't think I needed all the support the Brooks addiction were giving me and we ended up with the Ghost. I also have seen no change on the scale. I am not running to lose weight persay, but I know the running part would be easier with less pounds. Ugh- I will keep plugging away at it but having a downer day!
    Hang in there! I know the downer days feel like a setback, but they really aren't. You're not starting over from your down day, it was just a down day. Stay hydrated, let the hurting parts heal, and get back at it!
    Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Blog Entries

This morning was beautiful and crisp for the first time in months. I was planning to meet a friend to walk around the lake. I couldn't resist getting there a few minutes early to grab a quick shorty, really short actually. I ran my first sub 11 min/mile in months! I was so happy!

Been really inconsistent in my running since the Disneyland Half. The week after I was planning to slowly ease back into training (for IG Challenge in November) but I only ended up doing 1-2 runs that week because I ended up having to drive 4+ hours several times that week for an upcoming move (starting a graduate program in October!). The week after I was in Vegas in the early part of the week and in the latter part of the week had to drive my aunt back to Utah, allowing only 2 runs again. I'm hoping this week I can get back (for the most part) to my regular running program. Busy next several weeks though (between the move and annual trip to Knott's for Halloween Haunt) doesn't pose a complete return for a while.

Blog Entries

How's Your Training Going? (V4.0 We're Still Awesome!)

I got my 9 miler for Avengers in on Saturday. I purposely dialed my pace back about a min per mile as I also had a 9 miler for LA Marathon. I am trying a different approach to LAM than the one I took while training for Long Beach. I'm really slowing my pace from the get go. I know that I can have a better, healthier marathon experience than I did at Long Beach. I'd like to see a little time improvement as well and I don't think that will be an issue as long as I stick to my plan. After finishing my first (accidental) ultra in July feeling like a million bucks, I know I just need to take the pressure off of myself regarding my pace and just really listen to my overall health. That being said, I had a pleasantly slow 9 miler Saturday.

Today I'm heading out to Vail Lake to get a second look at Ragnar Trail Series Vail Lake Yellow Loop. I previewed it with vegaspixie, Nala, a few of our teammates and a ton of women in my running group back in July but I'm going to get another pass at it. We had a runner change this weekend and our new runner wants a stab at it before race weekend. Wish us luck, the trails were marked with tape in July so lets hope they still are! It's only a less than four mile loop, but with lots of elevation and many areas are single track. I'm nervous and excited.

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I got my 9 miler for Avengers in on Saturday. I purposely dialed my pace back about a min per mile as I also had a 9 miler for LA Marathon. I am trying a different approach to LAM than the one I took while training for Long Beach. I'm really slowing my pace from the get go. I know that I can have a better, healthier marathon experience than I did at Long Beach. I'd like to see a little time improvement as well and I don't think that will be an issue as long as I stick to my plan. After finishing my first (accidental) ultra in July feeling like a million bucks, I know I just need to take the pressure off of myself regarding my pace and just really listen to my overall health. That being said, I had a pleasantly slow 9 miler Saturday.

Today I'm heading out to Vail Lake to get a second look at Ragnar Trail Series Vail Lake Yellow Loop. I previewed it with vegaspixie, Nala, a few of our teammates and a ton of women in my running group back in July but I'm going to get another pass at it. We had a runner change this weekend and our new runner wants a stab at it before race weekend. Wish us luck, the trails were marked with tape in July so lets hope they still are! It's only a less than four mile loop, but with lots of elevation and many areas are single track. I'm nervous and excited.

Looks beautiful but I'd be totally intimidated!!!

Officially started my Star Wars Rebel Challenge training. 4 miler on tap for Sunday. On antibiotics for a sinus infection so we'll see how it goes.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Officially started my Star Wars Rebel Challenge training. 4 miler on tap for Sunday. On antibiotics for a sinus infection so we'll see how it goes.
    Hydrate SUPER well! Before, during and after.
    Cathy

Blog Entries

It was the first time. I knew what to expect yesterday. And I am feeling pretty good today.

Wow, that trail looks challenging enough in daylight. It's one-way, right?

Could be disastrous at night with two-way traffic.

Reluctant Runner

My training has essentially stopped since the DL half due to some left knee pain (was bothering me before the race). The pain is mostly gone now, so I'm going to try a short run this weekend.

Reluctant Runner

Blog Entries

How's Your Training Going? (V4.0 We're Still Awesome!)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Wow, that trail looks challenging enough in daylight. It's one-way, right?

Could be disastrous at night with two-way traffic.
    It is one way. Much of this loop is single track. As it turns out, I run this loop in the daylight, but some other padders will not.

ETA: on the good side, the view from the top is amazing.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

as someone who has only been running as a sport for 15 months - what I am finding is I can't seem to dial back my cadence/pace/whatever and relax. I almost have to use the timer to do that (force the issue of when to run and when to walk). Its all in my head, I know. However, when I try to go "slower" - really short stride, lighter steps, etc. - I find my legs feel so heavy I have more pressure on me to just stop and walk. By going faster I get that "glide" going - well, at least for me a glide - and then start walking when its time to walk. I wish I could figure out the feeling of dialing it back and enjoying it. I guess I have to lose some of the weight and not create such a pounding with the slower cadence. I have always been heavy - 50 lbs overweight or more since high school - and my legs have always been much more dense muscle-wise. this of course creates my issue of that really heavy feeling.

I don't know if there are tips or ideas for this beyond "keep going" but I thought I would throw it out there. Thanks...

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I've suffered a minor set back. I think I might have a small stress fracture (again!) but my doctor thinks we caught it quick enough that it should only require 1 week in the boot, and another week with constant running shoes on. We've got W&D in 6 weeks, so I can't be having this! Optimistic that I caught it soon enough to get back to running in about 2 weeks.

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    I've suffered a minor set back. I think I might have a small stress fracture (again!) but my doctor thinks we caught it quick enough that it should only require 1 week in the boot, and another week with constant running shoes on. We've got W&D in 6 weeks, so I can't be having this! Optimistic that I caught it soon enough to get back to running in about 2 weeks.
    Crossing my fingers that you caught it soon enough!

Training? What is this training you all speak of? I hadn't run in a month due to coaching, grad school and teaching. After parent teacher conferences, I needed to burn off some steam. Did 6 miles straight, not fast but not slow. I was shocked that I could still run that far without stopping and I was not sore the next day. The wife said that that was not right. Fun runs should be picking up once the coaching season is over. I coach Swimming in the fall btw.

I really, really didn't want to run today at the end of work, but had a moment of inspiration as I was leaving. I walked over to my co-worker/friend and told her I was going to go running and she should check on me in the morning. She was happy, and made the same pledge to me! I indeed did run for 30 minutes. I was a little surprised by how much that really motivated me!

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Quote Originally Posted by Nikara View Post
    I really, really didn't want to run today at the end of work, but had a moment of inspiration as I was leaving. I walked over to my co-worker/friend and told her I was going to go running and she should check on me in the morning. She was happy, and made the same pledge to me! I indeed did run for 30 minutes. I was a little surprised by how much that really motivated me!
    My running friends definitely help keep me motivated!

Had a successful 5 mile long run this saturday! I can tell my shoes are done though. Time to get new ones.