Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: WDW Resort Trip

Cool WDW Resort Trip

I'm going to Walt Disney World resort for the first time next June(Yes, I know it's a long time away, but my mom and I want to plan ahead). We are currently looking at resort hotels to stay at. What hotels around the resort do you people recommend? There will be two adults(my parents) and one 18 year old(Me )!
    And we would prefer to be in a hotel with somewhat easy acess to at least one of the park.

Thanks a lot!!

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    -Walt Disney

"It's beggining to look a lot like Christmas" : )

2. # ADS

It depends alot on what your budget allows, and which park you want to visit, whether you will have a car, etc. Our favorite room was a savanna room at Animal Kingdom lodge. Most of the Disney property hotels are convenient to the parks. AKL, though, is awesome. We have stayed at off-property hotels in the area. Transportation to the parks, although they advertise it is available, is sometimes not very good. One hotel, the Holiday Inn Family suites, even told us that we needed to call 24 hours in advance to take the shuttle to Magic Kingdom! Hello! Why do you think that people are staying at your hotel?

Cat Lover

What is your budget? What do you like?!?! There are a ton of hotels on property, and I am sure that there is a perfect one for you. Even though there are cheaper ones off site I would want to stay on property just for the magic. There are a lot of resourses on the web, passporter.com comes to mind, and there is a planing section in mouseplanet for WDW too. Have fun looking!

Pineapple Princess, He calls me Pineapple Princess, all day, as he plays his ukelele on the hill above the bay. Pineapple Princess, I love you, you're the sweetest girl I've seen, some day we're going to marry and you'll be my Pineapple Queen.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have stayed on property as well as off property. In my opinion, on property is the absolute best. I have stayed at the economy resorts and the moderates. The rooms at the moderate resorts are much betterthatn the economy resorts, but we spend so little time in our room, that we usually opt for the economy resort. Just my 2 cents worth :-)

Thumbs up

My family loves the Beach Club! You can walk right out your door and be at Epcot in 5 min.! You can also walk or take the boat to MGM and the boardwalk. In my opinion they also have the best pool of all the resorts we have stayed at!

javagirl

If a location next to one of the parks is a priority, it's a privelege you have to pay for. Any one of the Magic Kingdom resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian) would suffice, as would the Epcot resorts (Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk). These are all premiem resorts, and pricey. You might try Port Orleans, which is not far from either Epcot or the Magic Kingdom.

Enjoy!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Banned

I highly recomend the Carribean Beach Resort. It isn't that expensive, but the rooms aren't suite size, just the right size for sleeping and quick stops during the day. It's a beautiful resort, and i love the food court design and the pools.

My $0.02 worth...

Hello:

Everyone has their own reasons for picking one resort over the others for each stay. Here is why we chose the Poly for our last stay.

1. Accessibility. The poly is on the MK monorail loop but that's not why we picked it. We specifically requested a room at the far end of the resort (Rappa Nui). From there it's a two min. walk to the TTC which is the hub of all WDW transportation. Both monorail loops, buses, boats, etc... everything right where you need it. During a WDW vacation, time is expensive. Being near the TTC got us where we wanted to be as quickly as possible. Not to mention back to bed before many others had even reached their cars...

2. Accessibility. See number one.

3. Tonga-Toast!

Check out http://wdwig.com/faq_hot.htm for a good review of all the WDW resorts.

...And I like Cookies.

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Re: My $0.02 worth...

Originally posted by Steve0
    Check out http://wdwig.com/faq_hot.htm for a good review of all the WDW resorts.
    MousePlanet's WDW Trip Planning Guide section on accommodations.

MousePlanet's Hotel review section for WDW on-property hotels.

I have to agree that without knowing your budget it is hard to make recommendations. Actually, anywhere you are one the property you have a high level of accessability. Personally, we always rent a car rather than rely on WDW transportation, and that works for us. But as far as other ideas:

The Poly is nice for easy access to both MK and Epcot (we, too, walked to the TTC). We decided to stay at the Poly when I was 5 months pregnant and had a 2 1/2 year old so that we could get around easily.

I also have to echo Javagirl's recommendation. Although I have never stayed at the Beach Club, I have stayed at the Boardwalk Villa's. It was wonderful to be able to walk to Epcot and take the boat to MGM.

Denise

Thank you all so much for all your help so far. I would have written sooner but the fires have hit close to home (literally). Anyways, I have gotten a lot of questions about our budget. We can aford pretty much any mid range price hotel. Hope this helps.

Thanks again!

-Walt Disney

Since you have stated that the medium range would be good, this includes the moderate options of Port Orleans French Quarter (currently closed undergoing refurb. but may be open when you go) & Port Orleans Riverside, Coronado Springs and Carribean Beach Resort. You may also be able to afford the lower end of the deluxes (meaning not as expensive as the Poly, Grand Floridian or YC/BC) which means a very nice stay at Wilderness Lodge (my personal fave) and Animal Kingdom Lodge. You may also be able to stay at the Swan and Dolphin as well. You have plenty of choices for a medium price range. After reviewing the links Mark provided, you may want to view additional photo's and info. on these resorts so go to www.wdwig.com. Have fun planning your vacation.

I live and love to travel.

Your selection really does depend on your budget.

Our favorite location is the Beach Club. It is very close to EPCOT. On our next trip we plan on staying at the Wilderness Lodge as we'll have our grandchildren with us and it makes entrance into the Magic Kingdom a breeze.

I think that no matter what your selection you'll be happy with your decision to stay "on property". The service is always wonderful and there are a few perks (such as early entry) when you stay in a world property.

Enjoy your stay....and plan, plan, plan...it's never too early!

I'm going to make a case for my personal favorite mid-range hotel, the Coronado Springs. Naturally, whichever hotel you choose will be chosen because of how you like to spend your vacation. (will you stay at the hotel a lot? or is it just a place to sleep?) Unfortunately I've never stayed at Port Orleans or AK Lodge, but I would like to mention that Caribbean Beach is geared more towards families with little kids. Coronado is quieter, and I believe is often used as a Conference Center. The main/check-in area is beautifully done, and has several nice eating places, depending on whether you want to sit down or are running out to a park. The walk around the "lake" is calming, and on some nights you'll run into a CM setting up telescopes. It is certainly better for an older (non-little kids) family, in my opinion. The only downside, in my opinion, is that it's not as close to the parks as some of the others. It seems like they've been working on trying to get the buses on a decent schedule, but it's still pretty far from the Magic Kingdom, when all is said and done.

Okay, thanks for everything so far. At this point we are considering two options.
    1. Polynesian
    2.Yaht Club.

can anyone tell me some Good/Bad things about each? Thanks!!

-Walt Disney

Of course, much depends on what you expect from a hotel. If all you expect is a place to sleep, read a book, maybe get breakfast, and possibly do a few loads of laundry, then anything beyond one of the "all stars" would be a waste of money that would be better spent on more and better entertainment. If, on the other hand, you're expecting a spa, a fitness center, 5-star restaurants, and all sorts of other amenities such that you'd have no need to leave the hotel grounds for the duration of your stay, then why would you bother going to Walt Disney World, when you can get pampered closer to home?

Basically, what I'm saying here is that your choice of hotel should be based on how you're expecting to spend your time on the property, and if you're planning to spend so much time at the hotel that you'd really need one of the "monorail" hotels, then you should start wondering how much time would be left to spend at the theme parks.

For my own part, when vacationing, I'd much rather stay at a fairly modest hotel, and blow my money on entertainment. (A typical non-Disney vacation for me includes at least one symphony concert, and/or at least one musical, operetta, play, or other show, while a typical WDW vacation for me includes the BSM tour, side trips to Kennedy Space Center, and lots of theme park time.)

At any rate, I would NEVER pick an off-property (or on-property non-Disney, or even on-property quasi-Disney) hotel for a WDW vacation. For me, that's as stupid and self-defeating as going to San Francisco and staying at a hotel that's nowhere near any MUNI cable car or trolley lines, or going to Chicago and staying at a hotel that's far from the nearest "L" station, or going to Philadelphia and staying at a hotel far from the historic district.

Last edited by hbquikcomjamesl; 11-12-2003 at 03:46 PM.
    James H. H. Lampert
    Professional Dilettante

ANOTHER THING!

You're going in JUNE?!?

I admit, it's probably a better choice than July, August, or early September, but are you sure you want to go in the summer? When it's going to be hot, humid, crowded, probably rainy, and miserable?

If you can rearrange your schedule for a November visit, I think you'll find the climate much more moderate, and the crowds much thinner.
    James H. H. Lampert
    Professional Dilettante

I agree, June is not the time to go. Besides the crowds the heat makes standing in line unbearable. We always plan our vacations , to "the world" either the week before or the week after Thanksgiving. Everything is so beautiful, crowds aren't bad and it's value season in the hotels! A win-win situation.

If you are afraid of taking your children out of school, don't be!! Take alone a couple of their books and let them do the work on the plane. Yes they will miss a few days but there are so few times in our children's lives when we are able to offer them something truly special and wonderful that a few days, away from school, shouldn't be a deterent.

We generally stay at the Beach or Yacht Club however our next trip will be at the Wilderness Lodge, closer to MK and we'll have our three grandchildren along. Any of the Deluxe resorts are lovely, it just depends on what you expect, if you have children and what park (s) you plan on visiting the most.

Have a wonderful trip.

Dream the life....live the dream!

Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl

Basically, what I'm saying here is that your choice of hotel should be based on how you're expecting to spend your time on the property, and if you're planning to spend so much time at the hotel that you'd really need one of the "monorail" hotels, then you should start wondering how much time would be left to spend at the theme parks.
    I have to disagree. I personally find that I enjoy my time at the Disney themed resorts just as much as at the theme parks. They are first rate attractions in themselves. The Wilderness Lodge was a wonderful resort to relax at and just sit around the lobby reading a book. The swimming pool, slide, boat rentals were wonderful too. We are not 'commando' type Disney tourists, so we enjoy taking a break each day.

I would suggest buying (or getting from the library) a Birbaum's guide even though it's obviously a Disney whitewash, they do have good pictures and descriptions of each resort. Also think about what your goals of your trip are, to go on every attraction three times, to relax, a little of both, to be pampered?

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"I would suggest buying (or getting from the library) a Birbaum's guide even though it's obviously a Disney whitewash, they do have good pictures and descriptions of each resort. "

Gotta tell ya, this is good advice. We have done this the past couple of years and it has helped quite a bit.

As for hotels, here is my two cents:

- Going on a package deal? If not, think about it. My wife, daughter and I did (Fairy Tale Package) this recently and was able to stay at the Wilderness Lodge + Ultimate Park Hopper tickets for basicly the same price as what it would be to stay at PO-Riverside + Park hopper tickets.

- Both hotels mentioned above are great. WL gives you a more direct route to MK, though.

Compare, Compare, Compare. It takes a lot of time, but only you can decide on the ultimate package for what you want.

Poly or Yacht Club?

Recently we stayed at the Beach Club, siamese sister to the Yacht. I think the property is wonderfully laid out with the best pool at WDW. There is also excellent dining and entertainment choices for the EPCOT resort area when you think about that the Boardwalk also included. You would get to come and go to from EPCOT giving you a chance to try all of World Showcases restaurants.

Although the Poly is my favorite and it has my favorite Restaurant, Ohana. Besides the convenience of the monorail the Poly offers something I don't think other WDW hotels offer and that's true nostalgia. At night from the seven seas lagoon you can relax and see the water pageant and the MK's Wishes.

It's a tough choice. Poly. I'm glad I'm a DVC member we only have four Villa resorts to choose from.

Originally posted by Silrandil
    Okay, thanks for everything so far. At this point we are considering two options.
    1. Polynesian
    2.Yaht Club. can anyone tell me some Good/Bad things about each? Thanks!!
    Well, I'd start with spelling Yaht Yacht! They are both premium resorts, and you'll enjoy a first class hotel. The only thing that would separate them for me would be their locations. From the Poly you can reach the Magic Kingdom by monorail or boat, and a short walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center will get you to Epcot by monorail. From the Yacht Club you can walk or catch a boat into Epcot, or a boat to the Studios. Oh, and a short walk gets you over to the Boardwalk area. And you get the Stormalong Bay swimming area in the Y&BC complex. It just all depends on where you want to spend more of your time. If you have kids, I'd lean towards the Poly. It's pretty cool to stay in a hotel within sight of the castle. And the Seven Seas Lagoon with its surrounding hotels and those monorails and boats buzzing around is really a great mood setter.

Enjoy!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Regarding hotels:
    While I'm not one to go to extremes of luxury in vacation hotels, I have even less use for unnecessary frills when traveling on business (and I have a very low opinion of those who do book luxury hotels for business travel, except in cases where there's a legitimate need for the hotel to provide meeting facilities and the like.) When traveling on business, my attitude is that I've gone wherever I've gone to do a job, and all I require of my hotel is a reasonably clean, not-too-malodorous, place to sleep. That's why I tend toward Motel 6 and its ilk for business travel.

When vacationing, my expectations of my hotel are somewhat higher (and I'm continuously puzzled by why anybody would pick Motel 6 for a vacation), but I still hardly expect extremes of luxury, and have little interest in paying for facilities I neither need nor want.

Given that even the cheapest Disney hotels give one the immersive Disney experience, and are staffed by Disney CMs, and have free, reliable transportation to all the theme parks, I would rather, even if somebody else were paying for it, stay in the All Star Music than, say, a Ritz Carlton or Hyatt Regency, while vacationing at WDW.

(Speaking of Hyatt Regency hotels, there was one San Francisco vacation in which my usual hotel, the Columbus Motor Inn, was booked up for the first two nights of my stay, and I ended up spending those first two nights in the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero Center, at my company's expense, since it was my boss's fault that I'd been so late booking the vacation. My room at the Hyatt was no bigger, and no more comfortable, than my room at the Columbus, but the price tag was twice as big, and the window was only half as big.)

James H. H. Lampert
    Professional Dilettante