Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: WALK through CM parking entrance?

WALK through CM parking entrance?

Hey there!
    I've been a member here for several years and love the best advice I get for the tough questions. I just visited DL in June and upgraded to AP for the very first time :-). Yay! I'm sure I'll have tons more questions, but one I need answered right away. I am planning a quick Halloween trip for myself and 11 year old daughter at the beginning of Oct. I usually stay on Harbor and walk through the main entrance, but trying to maximize the budget has me looking at cheaper hotels.
    I've stayed up on Ball Rd/Disneyland Dr several years ago (2006 & 2008) and remember that we walked through the Cast Member parking lot entrance, through Mickey Parking, and took the tram to DTD. Is this still an option? I'm thinking of Best Western Courtesy Inn and looking at Google Earth, it's much quicker to cut through the lot rather than going all the way around.
    Has anyone stayed up here and walked through the parking lot?
    Thanks in advance for any info!

2. # ADS

There is a rumor on another board that the Ball Rd. CM lot behind M&F (is this the lot you are referring to?) will be closing on Aug. 2nd. There hasn't been an official announcement on the reason or on fixed dates. If this rumor turns out to be true, then you could still walk to the M&F tram, but you woud walk to Disneyland Dr., cross at Ball to the east side of the street (because the sidewalk on the west side ends shortly after the intersection), and cross over again at Magic Way toward M&F. There is an path on the right that leads to the tram stop.

This won't answer the question you asked, but have you looked at any of the hotels along Katella between Harbor and Walnut? They're usually cheaper than the ones right on Harbor, they're decent enough, and you can easily walk to the parks by going up Disneyland Dr and walking through the Grand. We've stayed at the Quality Inn over there three times and got prices around $70 a night with free breakfast. There are several other hotels in that same area with decent prices.

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn Maingate on Southwest Place and Ball which is the near the entrance to the employee parking lot you described. It was a while ago but I can tell you they used to let Park goers enter thru the gate (with a manned security guard booth) But when we went, they only let you return out thru the gate. So we had to walk the nearly 1 mile to the park entrance. As tea4two suggested, You can walk from to Disneyland Drive to Magic Way to the Parking Garage Trams. It will save you about .4 miles walking all the way to the Parks entrance.

When we returned from the Parks, we hopped on the Tram back to the Mickey and Friends Parking Garage. We took level 2, Daisy Duck, and walked straight back on the right (east) side of the Garage. Just continue straight as you exit the Garage and you end up at the employee gate. I'd drive or walk to the gate and ask the guard if it's still OK to return that way before you go.

Thanks, and yes that is what I was hoping to avoid (that walk all the way around and down Disneyland Dr, crossing, and going to the tram). I don't want to try and 'sneak' through to CM parking entrance on Ball and if it's not allowed, I may look in a different location.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    This won't answer the question you asked, but have you looked at any of the hotels along Katella between Harbor and Walnut? They're usually cheaper than the ones right on Harbor, they're decent enough, and you can easily walk to the parks by going up Disneyland Dr and walking through the Grand. We've stayed at the Quality Inn over there three times and got prices around $70 a night with free breakfast. There are several other hotels in that same area with decent prices.
    I will check that one, thanks! Several years ago, we stayed at a hotel on West St and had no issues walking up Disneyland Dr and through the Grand. However, just last month we were passing through the Grand, heading to breakfast at Paradise Pier. I got a little turned around in the lobby and asked a security guard for directions. She told me how to get out but asked if I was a guest of the Grand. I told her no, and said we were passing through for breakfast. She said that it wasn't allowed and that we needed to "remember for next time to go around". Whatever that means?? But now I'm nervous to try and pass through the Grand again!

It seems I'm going to have issues no matter which corner I try and stay in hehe. I get so anxious about these little details, which is why I have gravitated to the more costly hotels directly on Harbor lately.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    There is a rumor on another board that the Ball Rd. CM lot behind M&F (is this the lot you are referring to?) will be closing on Aug. 2nd. There hasn't been an official announcement on the reason or on fixed dates. If this rumor turns out to be true, then you could still walk to the M&F tram, but you woud walk to Disneyland Dr., cross at Ball to the east side of the street (because the sidewalk on the west side ends shortly after the intersection), and cross over again at Magic Way toward M&F. There is an path on the right that leads to the tram stop.
    The rumors are true i think because i have heard the same from my community. Did you verified it?

I never heard of the Grand Cali. saying you can't cut thru the Hotel! Wow! We and just about everybody else do it all the time. I wouldn't worry about it and continue to cut thru, it's not hurting anyone.

As far as Hotels, you might also try the Anaheim Plaza Hotel & Suites on Harbor at Disney Way. October rates are currently around $100 plus $4 a day for Parking. (about the same as the Quality Inn. I did a quick online check of rates) Rates will probably go down later. Good luck!

I cant imagine that being an official policy. Lobbies at hotels all over the world are open to folks passing through, and I can't see GCH being any different.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by kimbopotamus View Post
    She said that it wasn't allowed and that we needed to "remember for next time to go around". Whatever that means?? But now I'm nervous to try and pass through the Grand again!
    The guard was probably just confused. There are signs showing pedestrians how to go from the hotel entrance to the parks. We've done it many times and seen hundreds of others doing it too. Anyone is allowed to go to the restaurants, shops, and lobby of the hotel. There's also convention rooms. You're just not allowed in the pool area and obviously you should stay away from guest rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    The guard was probably just confused. There are signs showing pedestrians how to go from the hotel entrance to the parks. We've done it many times and seen hundreds of others doing it too. Anyone is allowed to go to the restaurants, shops, and lobby of the hotel. There's also convention rooms. You're just not allowed in the pool area and obviously you should stay away from guest rooms.
    The only thing I could think of was that maybe they are trying to reduce foot traffic through their lobby? But how else do folks get from DTD to Paradise Pier?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am checking out hotels and amenities (especially the ones suggested here) all the way around the perimeter. I guess if I stay on the north side (on Ball/Disneyland Dr), I will consider myself lucky if I am able to walk through the CM parking gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Moseng View Post
    The rumors are true i think because i have heard the same from my community. Did you verified it?
    There has been no official verification as of now. But I think it is worth keeping the rumor in mind, just in case the OP does stay in the Ball Rd./Disneyland Dr. area.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    There has been no official verification as of now. But I think it is worth keeping the rumor in mind, just in case the OP does stay in the Ball Rd./Disneyland Dr. area.
    I did decide to stay on Ball Rd, at Best Western Courtesy Inn. I called to ask a few questions and I did ask what the walking route would be. The girl I spoke with promptly told me to enter through the Cast Member parking entrance, walk through the lot, and through the second level of the parking garage to the tram. Which is exactly what I had done in 2006 and 2008. Of course whether there will be construction going on that she wasn't aware of is another story ;-).

I appreciate everyone's help!

kimbopotamus, I'd still take a pre park visit walk to the Guard Gate at the entrance to verify they will let you enter (or exit) that way. If they prohibit entry it's a .4 mile walk to the Trams via Disneyland Drive. The shortcut thru the Parking Garage is .24 miles to the Tram stop. It's less than a Quarter Mile difference, But it's seems longer when you walk.

Quote Originally Posted by dehnehsu View Post
    kimbopotamus, I'd still take a pre park visit walk to the Guard Gate at the entrance to verify they will let you enter (or exit) that way. If they prohibit entry it's a .4 mile walk to the Trams via Disneyland Drive. The shortcut thru the Parking Garage is .24 miles to the Tram stop. It's less than a Quarter Mile difference, But it's seems longer when you walk.
    Thanks! My chosen hotel is one of the closest to the CM parking entrance, and the afternoon we fly in will be our first park day. So I will find out right away if that entry is closed and/or if I can use it. I will for sure get permission from the guard, I'm not trying to be sneaky about it. And I agree, the walk around isn't too much farther, but each step saved is another step I could be taking inside the Park ;-);-). Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by kimbopotamus View Post
    Thanks! My chosen hotel is one of the closest to the CM parking entrance, and the afternoon we fly in will be our first park day. So I will find out right away if that entry is closed and/or if I can use it. I will for sure get permission from the guard, I'm not trying to be sneaky about it. And I agree, the walk around isn't too much farther, but each step saved is another step I could be taking inside the Park ;-);-). Can't wait!
    I was wondering if this worked out for you?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hjschulz View Post
    I was wondering if this worked out for you?
    I don't believe their trip is until October.
    Cathy