MousePlanet Columnist

Sue Holland Rayford - Polynesian Villas, July 2-5, 2015

Who/When/Where:

Who: Sue (56), DVC Member
    Dates: July 2 - 5, 2015
    Resort: Disneys Polynesian Villas & Bungalows Resort
    Experience: Very Experienced 2nd stay at this resort

INTRODUCTION:
    The last 2 years Ive booked Villas at Wilderness Lodge for the 4th of July weekend, and had planned to do the same this year. My first choice was always Bay Lake Tower, but I was never able to get that at 7 months for all 3 nights of my stay. This year I booked VWL as usual (BLT not available) but then later I saw Polynesian Villas & Bungalows was available, so I switched the reservation over there. I stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend in a lake view studio and had a great view but horrific noise during the 24-hour Magic Kingdom event. The ferry boats were also heard from inside the studio, but I could live with that for the most part. This time Im trying a standard view studio, so I dont expect a nice view, but it should be quieter.

Overall Im not a huge fan of this resort but there are some things I like. The studios are beautiful, and the bathrooms are fabulous! I do like Captain Cooks (counter service) and the Tambu Lounge. I like the beach, and viewing Wishes from there. Im not a fan of having to walk outside to get from the studio to the other buildings. Im not a fan of the construction everywhere, and the quiet pool being closed now. If I was spending time in the parks I would not be a fan of the location, but since this is a resort trip that doesnt matter.

This time of year its crowded, hot, and humid at WDW the worst possible combination. The only reason Im here is simply because its a holiday weekend and being here beats being in Gainesville. Both are too hot to enjoy, but at least here at WDW Im away. Fortunately I have enough dvc points to afford what may be considered a waste to most people. The past 2 years SB has joined me for part of the trip, and he was welcome to do the same this year. In the end he decided that since Wimbledon was going on and he mainly wanted to watch that on his days off (Thurs/Fri) he would rather stay home. Thats fine with me, and it makes sense, since why drive 4 hours round trip to watch tv?

I dont have any real plans other than Friday night Ill most likely join a co-worker from Tallahassee and her husband at Top of the World (theyre staying at BLT) for the MK fireworks. As a dvc member I have access to the lounge except for Friday & Saturday, when its limited to those members staying there. If they let me up as my co-workers guest, thats fine if they refuse, then no big deal. Im not one to make a scene or be obnoxious about it.

I may try to enjoy the beach in the morning, but I realize it may be too hot even at that time of day. Its likely well have thunder and rain at some point later in the day. The regular Wishes fireworks will occur Thursday night, and then the 4th of July fireworks will be held Friday and Saturday. Assuming I watch them Friday from BLT Ill catch them Saturday from the beach at Poly. My Tables in Wonderland card has expired and since I wont be back until September I didnt bother to renew it just yet. Ill definitely do that for September, unless for some reason were not planning to do any restaurants or lounges that trip. For this trip Ill miss the discount, but since its a solo trip the check wouldnt be that high anyway.

Its possible Ill try to hit the outlets at some point either on my way in or some morning if its too hot for the beach. I am very leery of getting stuck in messy traffic on I-4 if I decide to do it on my way in, so well see. Last trip the notification of my room # did not work, and I had to stop by the front desk. Thats a major pain at Poly because the dvc buildings are at the far end of the resort, so you have to park in one place, go inside to check in, go back to your car, drive to the other lot, then walk to your building. I didnt like that, and hope thats not how it is again.

Overall this will be a relaxing, and probably very boring trip. I thought about not even bothering to bring the camera, but then decided I might want to take some pictures of the fireworks so Im charging the battery & will bring the camera. Whether I actually use it and post anything remains to be seen though.

I decided to end the trip on Sunday, rather than leaving early Monday morning to get to work. Most likely Ill head back home Sunday morning, so I have some time to relax at home (and do laundry) before the work week begins the next day!

The plans so far are:
    Thursday 7/2: Drive to WDW
    Friday 7/3: Resort, MK Fireworks from BLT Top of World
    Saturday 7/4: Resort, MK Fireworks from Poly Beach
    Sunday 7/5: Drive to Gainesville

DAY 1 Thursday 7/2/15

Plan: Drive to WDW

Actual: The morning flew by, and when I got home at noon SB was watching Wimbledon on tv <g>. I changed, packed the little cooler, then he walked me out with some of my stuff. The drive was a bit annoying in that I hit rain before I even got to the interstate, and then for the next hour it alternated be cloudy weather and periods of rain where it was hard to see very far ahead of me. As a result, it took longer to get here, and I pulled into Poly about 2:30.

Id received a text at 12:51 with my room number, so at least that is working this time! I got Tokelau, which what I was hoping for (but had not called to request). That is the 3rd of the 3 dvc buildings to open, and I think they just starting putting people in here yesterday. At Poly I parked in the smaller lot, since I knew that would be convenient to the building. Walking up from there you come to the back door, but that was ok since I knew it was my building (any signs were on the other side). My only request was upper floor, and they put me on the 3rd (top) floor. The room is very convenient to the elevators SB would love this one, lol! I unpacked, which didnt take very long. The studio looks great, but if this is the 2nd night it would have been occupied it should look great! My view is the courtyard containing the quiet (east) pool, and I was pleased to see the construction finished over there!

Directly across in Samoa they were pressure washing the building and I could hear the beep beep of the big equipment over there. I couldnt hear the ferry boat horns at all, lol! After getting settled in I talked with SB and texted with my co-worker. I learned she & her husband werent planning to actually sit in Top of the World Lounge they were planning to just go up for the fireworks, shortly before 9. Its not worth it for me to travel over there to see fireworks I can see just as easily from the beach here, and I would rather not get caught up in monorail traffic during a peak time. Oh well, Top of the World will wait for a future trip, and by then I should have my Tables in Wonderland again.

I hadnt had lunch, so I was very hungry at this point. I decided I might as well walk over to Captain Cooks and take a few photos along the way. The wind had really picked up and all the trees were blowing around a lot! When I got outside I saw dark skies all around us, which is weird. Usually you can see the storm coming from a certain direction, but today it was everywhere. The quiet pool had a few people swimming, but there were more ducks than humans, lol! The main (volcano) pool was quite a bit busier, as expected. I was shocked by how much closer Tokelau is to everything vs Moorea last trip I felt like I was miles away, and this trip I can see part of my building from Captain Cooks!

Captain Cooks was pretty busy, and it took longer for the food to come up than it did last time. I ordered the kids meal chicken breast with pineapple & salad. Its very good, and probably the healthiest kids meal Ive seen at Disney! I also got the last apple strudel thing, and brought it all back to the studio. It was starting to lightly sprinkle as I got back outside, so I was especially glad I wasnt all the way over in Moorea this time!

Lunch (or dinner) was out on the balcony, and the kids meal was terrific! At one point the wind blew a mist of rain at me, but then the winds died down and eventually the sun came back out (briefly). When I finished I went inside and caught the early news/weather, and learned there are a couple big systems just to the north and south (which explains why it appeared we were surrounded) with heavy rain and lots of lightning. Theyre supposed to last for at least the next couple of hours, so no point trying to go anywhere at this point.

As is typical for me, despite saying at 4 that there was no point going anywhere, by 5 I was ready to go. The storm looked like it was further off to the north and south, but more to the east of us. It never really rained, and at this point it didnt look likely any time soon. I mapped out a journey in my head, grabbed the camera and left the studio. I went to the end of the hall to the outside stairs at the end of the building across from the bungalows. WOW from here its a perfect view of the castle, which means perfect view of Wishes and the 4th of July fireworks! The beach was not far, so its possible Ill still hear the soundtrack over here well see. This may also be a good spot to watch the Electric Water Pageant. Down on the beach it gets obstructed by the bungalows, so you cant see the whole thing at one time.

Happy with my discovery, I went downstairs and walked the path along the beach. Quite a few people were out there on the beach, including a lovely (not) group of 3 teen girls who were taking a group selfie with one of them extending her middle finger. Ah, class. Hopefully theyll grow up before theyre in positions of any sort of responsibility, lol! The pools were closed (lightning must have been within the designated area), so I walked around the outside of the pool area, and found an entertainer performing on Trader Sams patio. It sounded like a ukulele to me. I went inside and saw people with beepers lining the hallway, waiting for Trader Sams Grotto. I cant see waiting an hour or 2 (or more) to get into that place! Its cool, but the hype is overdone.

I went back outside and walked on the path past the luau, which was almost ready to admit guests (for the 5:15 seating). I had thought about booking this if SB was going to be with me, but Im glad he didnt want me to. Its not air conditioned, and although I could hear the fans running I imagine it could get hot & stuffy in there this time of year. I continued along the path over to the Grand Floridian and walked throughout that resort, ended up at the boat dock over by Narcoosees. The boat was disembarking guests but the captain saw me coming and waited very nice!

The boat ride was wonderful nice & cool, scenic, and not crowded! I love these little boats. The boat stopped at the Polynesian before continuing on to the Magic Kingdom (that was my intent to maximize the ride and get off at MK. The boat to Wilderness Lodge was waiting, so I walked off one boat and onto the other once again the captain saw me coming and waited. The MK entry area looked pretty busy, and I did see the signs warning that no selfie sticks were allowed they were posted before you even get to the bag check area.

The big boat to the Lodge wasnt full either every was seated outside, either up front or out back. I was in the back, and while I dont like these boats as much as the small ones, I still enjoyed the ride. Theres no sign of any construction being started for the beachside cabins that are planned. I didnt see any sign of construction anywhere else, either. The pool is now fenced/gated, so I walked around the outside of that and stopped in Roaring Forks to buy a magic cookie bar to add to my apple strudel bag back in the studio. With tax the bar was $4.25, so its gone up quite a bit. It is large though, and hopefully its still delicious.

I went back to the dock and walked on the waiting small boat for a ride to Fort Wilderness, then continued on to the Contemporary. We passed a good-size alligator swimming in the lake. Thats the first time Ive seen an alligator in there, although with this being Florida you have to assume there are several! At the Contemporary I went upstairs to the monorail station and encountered the end of my transportation luck! The line was backed way up, and I had to wait for the 2nd monorail to get on. It will get worse as the night goes on, so Im glad Im not trying to get to Bay Lake Tower tomorrow night.

Once on the monorail we were delayed 3 different times due to the train ahead of us having technical difficulties. The a/c was running well so it wasnt a big deal, especially since I wasnt on any type of schedule. SB called while I was on the monorail, wondering what Id eaten (restaurants are part of what we enjoy here) but I dont think he was that impressed with a kids chicken breast & salad meal, lol!

Finally the monorail arrived at the Polynesian and I left there, making the relatively short walk back to Tokelau and my studio. I discovered my balcony faces west, so the sun was shining out there, making it hot. I went inside to update the trip report & give the sun a chance to get lower. There were some clouds, but not enough to completely block it. I tried the balcony again about 7:20 and discovered when I sit down the top of the railing kept the sun out of my eyes, so I was ready to move out there. I got some ice (love this room location also close to ice machine), poured some wine into the plastic Food & Wine glass, and took out a few crackers & pieces of cheese Id cut and brought from home. Adding my kindle, I was all set to enjoy the balcony for a while.

The balcony was, in a word, delightful! Other than a couple parties with screaming (needlessly loud yelling) kids coming up the outside stairs it was totally peaceful out there. The sunset caused the clouds overhead to turn pretty, and I played a couple games before starting a book on the kindle. Just before 9 I came inside to get the camera and went to the stairwell at the end of the hall to wait for the Electric Water Pageant.

It was great watching from out there! The view was still obstructed by the bungalows, but it was nice not having to go anywhere to see it. The fireworks view should be spectacular, and Ill test it out at 10 for Wishes tonight. After the EWP I went back to the studio and downloaded the photos Id taken today and then returned to the balcony to do more reading until it was time for Wishes (at 10). Just before 10pm I came inside, grabbed the camera and went out to the stairs.

I was not able to hear the soundtrack, but I had a perfect view of the fireworks! A big family from 2 connecting studios came out there after me, and from the sound of their accents they were from Boston. They were talking about the kids waiting for the fireworks to stahhhht. Im from Boston, but thank goodness never sounded like that, lol! The fireworks were great I look forward to the 4th of July ones the next 2 nights.

After Wishes I downloaded those photos and selected a few to put on facebook. It was time for something sweet, and I had apple strudel and magic cookie bar to choose from in the end I decided on some of the apple strudel, since that has a shorter shelf life. It was delicious, although I didnt need the extra calories.

Today ended up being a really delightful day! I love this room location, and really enjoyed puttering around on the various boats. I tend to only read when Im on trips, so the time on the balcony was really enjoyable as well. Before the trip Id struggled with thoughts that I should have canceled the trip, as Im not really doing anything, but now Im really glad I kept it.

Tomorrow will be more of the same a lot of not much at all <g>.

DAY 2 Friday 7/3/15

Plan: Resort, MK Fireworks from BLT Top of World

Actual: I slept well this room is much quieter than the last one, lol! I got up at 6:30, and watched the morning news for a while before making my cappuccino. It was tough deciding what to do pool or beach or outlets. All 3 are best first thing in the morning, before its too hot or too busy. In the end, outlets won, so I ate a greek yogurt and just after 8:30 left to drive over there (they opened at 9 today).

It seemed to take forever to get off Disney property for some reason. It wasnt traffic so much as just a long distance. It was just a few minutes before 9 when I parked and walked up to Character Premiere (or Warehouse I never look at the sign on the building). As usual, other stores had opened but it took Disney until a few minutes after 9 to get their doors unlocked. There were 2 guys waiting outside ahead of me, and I later saw them at the cash registers each separately buying up a mountain of tiny plush things. No doubt they buy here & sell on ebay or somewhere for a profit. They literally each had bag after bag stuffed full of these things, and some other larger plush items.

I ended up buying myself a DCL jacket, and a set of 5 Christmas ornaments for Chris & Amanda. They both like Haunted Mansion, and the ornaments are those marble busts that sing as youre going through the ride including the one where the head has fallen off the stand and is next to it. When I drove back I went via Port Orleans and it seemed much shorter. I was back in the studio before 10. They do have signs out saying the parking lot here is restricted to registered guests and people with dining reservations this would be a popular spot for people watch the fireworks tonight and tomorrow, and its only fair they limit it to the people paying to be here.

I had an English muffin Id brought from home, then headed down to the quiet pool for a while. There were a handful of parties out there already, and more came and went, but it remained a mostly quiet experience which is exactly what I like! Even the kids were mostly quiet, other than a game of Marco Polo <g>. I could hear people at the main (Volcano) pool and was glad I hadnt gone over there. I spent about 2 hours alternating between reading on my chaise lounge and soaking in the pool when I got too hot. The pool shower wasnt working, so I wasnt able to cool off without getting into the pool.

Just after noon I moved to the nearby empty table, which was under a shady pavilion with a ceiling fan overhead. It was a great place to sit & cool off a bit, rather than putting my coverup back on over a wet swimsuit and sweaty body! Thanks to the fan & the shade it was fairly comfortable. Around 12:30 I was dry enough, so I put the coverup back on and walked over to Captain Cooks. As expected, the volcano pool was very busy, and very crowded. They do have nicer chaise lounges over there, but I greatly prefer the space the quiet pool provides. The kiddie play area looks terrific, and quite a few young kids were enjoying themselves.

Captain Cooks was fairly busy, but they had all 3 cash registers open so there really wasnt any wait at all. I ordered the aloha pork sandwich, and it came up much quicker than yesterdays kids meal. I got the fries as my side, but later I realized I should have asked if they sold the sandwich just by itself. Usually they do, even though the menu doesnt list that option.

Walking back to my building, I saw the shady table Id recently left was still available, so I stopped there and had lunch out by the quiet pool. There were so many French fries I ended up throwing some away, but I ate so many I could barely touch the sandwich. Whats leftover is easily 2 more small meals for me. Luckily this sandwich is just as good refrigerated and then microwaved. By now it was after 1 and time for a shower!

At this resort I use the shower stall I love that it has the option of either the rain head or the detachable nozzle. Some people have said the drain doesnt work well, but I had no trouble last trip, and it worked fine in this room too. I did notice though that when I had the rain forest head running the water seemed to pool up more it must put out more water than the regular one (last trip I only used the regular). Even still, I cant imagine it would have accumulated enough to spill out unless I spent an inordinate amount of time on my shower.

After showering & dressing I watched General Hospital and texted with the co-worker whos staying at BLT. They plan to be in the lobby at 8 tonight, but I told her Id decided to just stay here. I know the monorail would be a huge pain, especially leaving there! She said they had a long wait for the monorail leaving Epcot after fireworks last night.

After General Hospital I sat outside on the balcony for a while. It was pretty warm much warmer than Memorial Day weekend, with little breeze and lots of humidity. Clouds were building up but so far it had not rained. I hope the clouds stay thick, as itll block the sun from beating on my balcony! Out on the balcony I can hear the ferry boat horns and also the train whistle at the Magic Kingdom. Both of those are quieter than the people in the quiet pool, lol I picked the right time to enjoy that! I can also hear the pool party over at the volcano pool, but not overly loud.

Figuring it would be raining later, I went out for a walk around the resort. Once I got right by the beach/lake there was a breeze, so maybe Ill try the beach tomorrow morning. There was no sign of life in any of the bungalows, although I could tell yesterday from the boat that some are occupied. It doesnt look like theyre all full, though. At their prices, its little wonder <g>. The beach was pretty busy, and cast members were setting up the inflatable movie screen and I assume will be getting stuff ready for the beach party tonight. Ill wander over to at least see it (curiosity) later, assuming its not raining. While I was out it started to sprinkle, even though the sun was still shining.

The volcano pool was packed didnt see any empty chaise lounges, and it did not look appealing to me at all. As I passed by the entrance to Trader Sams Grotto (about 20 minutes before it opened at 4pm) I think I heard them telling a guest the wait at this point was about 5 (FIVE) hours! People have got to be insane, lol! When I walked back to my building the quiet pool was very busy not many empty chairs there either! Back in the room I noticed the message light blinking, and it was a robo-call from the resort saying that theyre putting the patio furniture inside the rooms on the ground floor that face the beach, and theyre asking guests to please leave it inside except when theyre using it (during this holiday week). Hmmm, I imagine people must walk up and help themselves to peoples patio furniture how tacky!! But, this is one way to foil those scumbags <g>.

I just puttered around the studio, alternating inside and outside on the balcony. The clouds had cleared away enough to let the sun shine directly onto the balcony, so it was too warm to stay out there long. The other side of the hall would have been better suited to my lifestyle, but overall Im still very happy with my location. Somewhat after 5 I fixed a small plate of cheese and crackers, along with some wine. With the hot sun (upper 90s plus humidity) I chose to sit on the sofa rather than out on the balcony! I can move out there once the sun gets lower in a couple hours.

Finally by 6:45 the clouds had hidden the sun, and I was starting to hear thunder. Hopefully the rain will come and go, leaving it nice by fireworks time. I went out to the balcony with my kindle, to take a break from being cooped up inside. It thundered for a while, but by 7:30 it was pouring buckets out there and the wind was blowing hard. I had brought one of the balcony chairs inside, so when it stops Ill have a dry place to sit. Its a safe bet the pool party has ended, and the 7:30 campfire is not happening. I ate the other half of the apple strudel and settled back down indoors.

Eventually the rain let up, but the lightning and thunder continued. The sky to the west cleared enough to make the sun visible before it sank below the Poly buildings. Im glad I wasnt out traveling anywhere in this weather! I was shocked to see a family leave my building and go running through the resort when the rain first stopped shocked because of the frequent big lightning bolts in the area. Im not sure where they were going that was THAT important!

I figured the 9pm fireworks would go off as planned, especially on a huge night like July 3rd or 4th. The rain had pretty much stopped at 8:30, so I grabbed my camera and headed outside. Once I was down on the ground it started to sprinkle very lightly. I walked over to the beach, which was crowded with people. I understand the beach used to run the entire length of the resort, but now most of it is gone to make room for the bungalows. In that sense, dvc really ruined this resort in this way. The dvc studios are fine, but those bungalows are ridiculous.

I went back to the building and since it was raining more steadily I went to the room to get my backpack and umbrella, then returned to the outside stairs. Another couple was out there, and we spent the time chatting. Theyre local and dvc members and she works at All Star Sports. We started getting lightning again, and the rain got heavier. 9pm came and went no fireworks. Eventually I tired of trying to keep my bag dry, and after most of the other people had given up and gone back to their rooms I ran back to the studio to drop off the bag and get my phone. It was 10pm by this point. The Epcot fireworks had gone off around 9:50, and the rain had let up here so we figured they would still happen. A guest walking by downstairs said they were hoping for 10:20.

Another person came up and joined us turns out shes a Disney cast member and used to work at a Target with the lady in the couple Id been talking to. They HATE Target, and the new woman was yammering on, dropping the F bomb and swearing up a storm talking about her former co-workers there. The other people who were on our deck moved down a half flight I wonder if they were trying to get away from her, lol! It really was inappropriate, and she didnt belong there. She parked at TTC and walked in to see the fireworks. Her daughter was inside the Magic Kingdom and said there had been an announcement saying 10:30 for the fireworks, so we kept waiting. At 10:20 the soundtrack to Wishes started oops. They realized their mistake and shut it off quickly, lol!

Finally, right at 10:30 the 4th of July soundtrack started (we could hear it perfectly) and the fireworks began. They were huge, and worth the wait! Ive seen them from Bay Lake Tower but theyre so much better from over here. Since the camera was in the studio I just took a few photos with my phone, and will put them on facebook. When the fireworks ended I went back to the studio to get out of my damp clothes & get in bed.

I had thought this would be an early night, but the fireworks delay messed that up. I certainly could have lived without all the rain, but overall I really enjoyed the day except for the fireworks delay. Hopefully tomorrow theyll go off on time!

DAY 3 Saturdayday 7/4/15

Plan: Resort, MK Fireworks from Poly Beach

Actual: After sending the report last night I played games on the tablet for a little bit, giving the laptop screen time to go dark. It was almost midnight by the time I turned out the lights, then I didnt sleep well. Id put a bath towel on the bed, but my feet were still cold. I only brought one pair of socks, and they were wet from being out in the rain last night. I should have changed to flip flops, so my socks would have been dry, but hindsight is always 20/20 <g>. I like the room here to be cool, but I want my feet to be warm! Tonight I may put the extra blanket on the end of the bed.

I was up before 6:30, and had my cappuccino while doing some jigsaw puzzles online. After that I had the other greek yogurt tomorrow will be my tonga toast day! Its very cloudy so far today, with no sunlight. Maybe thatll help keep things more comfortable for a while! Checking the hourly weather, it looks bad for the fireworks again tonight, but this far out they cant be too accurate. Just before 9:30 I put on a swimsuit, ate the other English muffin, and headed down to the quiet pool.

Today it was busier than yesterday, and hotter! The clouds disappeared shortly after I got out there, and the sun forced me into the pool often. I had the sense to stake my claim to the table & shelter from yesterday, and after about 1.5 hours thats where I retreated to for the rest of my time out there. It was comfortable in the shade, thanks to the ceiling fan. It was comfortable in the pool, too. Sitting on a chaise lounge in the sun was NOT comfortable!

Around noon I ran up to the studio and brought the rest of the pork sandwich and a cold bottle of water back down to my table. Id eaten a bit of the sandwich here and there, but there was still more than enough. At this point with the trip ending tomorrow it was either eat it or throw it away, so I managed to finish it. Id zapped it in the microwave before bringing it downstairs, but that really just took the chill off it still tasted good though.

I stayed out there until sometime after 1, then gathered up my stuff and went up to the studio. Im sure someone will be happy to take my place in the shelter! I realized it was time to make fastpasses for the Labor Day weekend trip, so I did that but learned Chris & Amanda need to renew their passes before I can make any fastpasses for the 3 of us. Well see if they do that before the trip. If not, they may be shut out on any of the really popular attractions. I took my shower, then started packing up my stuff. Once that was done I started uploading the photos to Shutterfly so I could caption them later.

By 3 that was done and I was getting antsy sitting in the room. I was wishing the rain would start the sooner it starts, the sooner it ends, right? But, the weather forecast was saying it would start around 6:15 and getting up to 90% rain by 8pm. If all goes as forecast, it may stop raining by 9 for the fireworks, but well see. I checked out the balcony but it was hotter than hell even though it was shady. Theres no breeze out there. So, I took some stuff out to my car then walked over to the Transportation & Ticket Center for a monorail ride to pass some time.

A monorail was in the station as I approached, but it pulled away before I got there. The next one came within a minute of me going up the ramp, which was not bad at all! Unfortunately this monorail had lousy air conditioning. We stopped at Poly, then Grand Floridian, where I decided to disembark. The air conditioned lobby felt wonderful! I browsed through the first shop, then sat on a sofa up on the 2nd level and listened to the piano player down below play mostly Disney songs, but with a few patriotic songs thrown in. I noticed people in Mizners Lounge, which is on the 2nd floor behind where the orchestra plays, so I went in there and took a table by the windows.

I was getting a little peeved that Id been sitting there more than 10 minutes while a couple cast members were doing various chores but never coming over to take my order. Finally the bartender came over, and I ordered a glass of the pinot grigio. The piano player ended at 4 and the orchestra started playing. Its so nice having live music! It was really pleasant sitting up there, and in all my trips this was my first visit! Tables in Wonderland was blacked out today, so that took the pain away from not having Tables in Wonderland this trip! Plus, for 1 glass of wine I didnt lose too much money!

After I finished my wine I decided to get moving. The wind had picked up earlier, but had died down again. I didnt want to get caught away from my resort whenever it did start to rain. I went back out to catch the monorail, and it was the same one as before with the crappy a/c. When we got to the Transportation & Ticket Center we sat for quite a while, and a maintenance/engineering guy came into each car. When they played the announcement that we were holding for traffic clearance, I got up and left no point sitting in a warm monorail car when I could see my building! I walked back to Poly and got there before the monorail ever left the station.

Instead of going to my studio I walked over to the Great Ceremonial House. Trader Joes Grotto had a 1-hour wait, which is more acceptable. The patio was busy but not full, plus theyd added tables along the dock but those were in the sun, so not too appealing. I wandered through the volcano pool area and stopped to watch a whipped cream pie eating contest, then continued back to my room. The sun was shining brightly on the balcony, which sucked. At 5:30 there was still no sign of impending rain, unfortunately. I did notice as I walked past the beach they have a section blocked off for concierge/club level guests, with folding chairs lined up. It will be open 6-9 in case those people want to sit in the rain to stake out their spot for the fireworks. Personally, Id watch from the concierge lounge o:r my balcony, assuming my room was on the lake side.

I checked weather dot com and saw the rain was delayed now theyre saying it may start at 7:45, with the worst from 9-10 or so. Looks like Ill have to do without photos Im not taking a good camera out into the rain! I went out onto the balcony and finished up the crackers, cheese and magic cookie bar while reading. The rain arrived but it was coming straight down so I was fine on the balcony. There was hardly any lightning (compared to last night), and the heaviest rain didnt last terribly long. Around 7:20 I looked down the hall and saw people out there, so I gathered up my bag, kindle, camera & umbrella and went out there to wait for the fireworks.

Id thought it had stopped raining, but once I got outside I realized it was raining lightly enough to need an umbrella. Tonight I had the sense to wear flip flops, too! I stood there under the umbrella and when it slowed down I dug out my kindle and finished the book Id started last night. I was able to put the umbrella down briefly, but then it started raining again. This is so annoying especially for it to be raining both nights!

The fireworks started right at 9pm, and they were fabulous! I love having the soundtrack piped right in so we can hear it all. I took several pictures with the camera, but since I was only using 1 hand (the other was holding an umbrella and trying not to hit anyone with it) many of them came out too blurry to keep. The ones that were ok I put at the end of the album. If the railing hadnt been soaking wet I would have set the camera down, but I didnt want to risk it. Once again the Electric Water Pageant was in position, but only the flags & stars lit up (for the finale). Once the fireworks ended, the floats went dark, and it moved on to do its normal routine at the other resorts. I headed back to the studio, glad for an early night!

I downloaded the photos, deleted the blurry ones, then uploaded & captioned the ones worth keeping. Im done taking photos this trip, so the album is ready on shutterfly at share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZNGTdm2bMWjLeA

When I got back to the room the fireworks from downtown Orlando were being broadcast on tv, and they must have run for over 30 minutes they were huge, and very nice! I wouldnt want to be in the crowd that Im sure was downtown, just as I had no desire to be inside the MK either. I love seeing the fireworks and then being home less than 2 minutes later!

Today was another nice day even with the rain and the heat. I would have preferred it was 20 degrees cooler and no rain, but it is what it is. Tomorrow will be a short day, and Ill wrap up the report after I get home.

DAY 4 Sunday 7/5/15

Plan: Drive to Gainesville

Actual: I slept much better last night, turning in by 11 and getting up just before 6:30. I could hear kids playing/screaming out in the quiet pool but I didnt see any pool hours listed in the paperwork so I didnt call to complain. Youd think the adults would have enough sense & common courtesy to not let their kids be shrieking as if it was 2pm!

I showered, dressed and had a small cup of cappuccino which doing some online stuff. Shortly before 8 I walked over to Captain Cooks and got an order of tonga toast. My beeper was going off before I could even put my wallet away! I got some warm syrup and went to eat outside, but the unoccupied tables were mostly still wet from the overnight humidity, and so were the chairs. So, I went inside and sat by the window. The tonga toast was great, and although I didnt finish it I did eat the center part (with the banana filling). SB called while I was having breakfast, so I let him know Id be headed home after this.

A family of 12 people pushed several tables together near me, so I was really glad to finish and get out of there while they were ordering their food! Thats just too big and too noisy of a group for anyone else to have a relaxing meal. I went back to the studio to check it over one last time, then took my stuff out to the car and headed home. It was smooth sailing the entire way, although once on I-75 there were a lot more cars on the road than normal (mostly with license plates from other states and back seats piled high with people & stuff), so it was good I left early rather than risk sitting in traffic later. Once I got home I did the laundry (why doesnt that get done in my absence???), went to the office for a bit, then settled down to wrap this up.

Although I wasnt sure that this trip wasnt going to be a waste of time, I really enjoyed it. The Polynesian was much better this time my room ready text worked, the room was better located, noise wasnt an issue, and just overall I liked the resort a lot more. Next time I would like to again get Tokelau, but on the opposite side. That will still give me the location but I wont have any pool noise and I wont have that afternoon sun making the balcony unusable later in the day when Im most likely to be out there. As always, Captain Cooks was a good spot for counter service food thats better than most places. Im not a fan of the main pool, but I do love the quiet pool especially with plenty of those covered areas when its hot outside.

My boat touring on the first day was a lot of fun being out on the water the breeze kept it comfortable, and it was a nice way to pass a couple of hours. I did it before things got too busy otherwise I wouldnt have bothered. I was less thrilled with my monorail tour yesterday, mainly because of the a/c issue and the fact that a small boat is just more pleasant than a monorail car. Mizners Lounge in the Grand Floridian is a nice spot, although it is very understated in terms of dcor. The lobby is so gorgeous the lounge is just eh. But, it was nice to sit in the a/c and enjoy the music while having a glass of wine.

The weather was far from ideal, with rain ruining outside plans for people on the 3rd and the 4th. Standing in the rain for a 90-minute fireworks delay (about 2 hours standing there) in the rain was not fun, but the longer the stayed the more I had invested in it & was reluctant to leave, lol! I knew Disney would be doing the fireworks at some point, no matter what time it would be. I could have lived without the foul-mouthed cast member driving over & using my buildings landing to watch the fireworks. Had she kept her mouth shut I never would have known she wasnt staying there.

Next year 4th of July will fall on a Monday, so Im up in the air as to whether Ill try for the weekend. If so, Id like to get Poly (BLT at 7 months hasnt been possible the past few years for 4th of July), and if I do get it Ill be leaving on Monday to drive home ahead of the traffic. After that the 4th will fall on weekdays for several years, so I wont be down until it gets back to a long weekend trip.

I now have almost 2 months before Im back at WDW, and that begins my busy season for trips. The next trip will be a long weekend (5 nights) at Jambo House club level leading up to Labor Day, with SB joining me at the beginning and then Chris & Amanda arriving mid-trip. Itll still be hot & unpleasant, but at least by then well be starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Hope everyone has a great summer and thanks for reading along!

Sue (Holland) Rayford
    WDW1972

2. # ADS

Great report. I absolutely love your pictures. I booked one night at the Contemporary during my August stay just so the kids in my family could see the electric water parade. I loved it when I was a kid. So I really liked those pictures. I think your picture 54 of 88 that was taken at night with the Grand Floridian in the background is absolutely beautiful.

MousePlanet Columnist

Thanks - the conditions & lighting were just perfect! Unfortunately it was the lull between a horrific downpour/lightning storm and the beginning of hours of steady rain that ended up delaying the fireworks for 90 minutes. I wish it had stayed like it was in the photo! Enjoy your August trip - I also love the EWP no matter how many times I see it!

Sue (Holland) Rayford
    WDW1972

Great detailed TR - loved reading every bit of it. Thanks for sharing.

Sue I believe at one point you mentioned walking from TTC to the Poly. Was this on the regular path or the alternate one that went past the buses? The question was asked on another site if the normal walkway bw the TTC & Poly was reopened. Any information would be appreciated.

MousePlanet Columnist

DeeDee - This trip and last, it was the (old) regular path. I never had to go anywhere near the bus stops.

Sue (Holland) Rayford
    WDW1972

Hi Sue!
    Awesome pictures of the fireworks and the sunset views, as well as from the boat. Yes it is a shame what Disney has done to the beach with the bungalows. Prior to becoming DVC members, our first few trips we stayed at the Poly and the beach/fireworks were always a nice and relaxing way to end your day. Oh by the way if during your Labor Day trip you happen to hear another Boston accent, it may just be me or one of my kids!!! As always thanks for taking the time out of your vacation to share with us, we truly love reading these reports!

Hope You Have A Fantastic Summer!
    Gail