Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Family Hydration in the Parks

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Family Hydration in the Parks

Family Hydration in the Parks by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares their strategies for keeping families hydrated on hot days touring the Disney Theme Parks.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great advice! I have to echo GusMan's comment about paying attention to your bathroom breaks.
    Also, if you sweat a lot, you may need electrolytes, in addition to water. For many/most people not exercising vigorously, this could be as simple as making sure you eat something a little salty. But I'm a quite prolific sweater, so I will add an electrolyte tablet (Nuun) to my water every once in a while.

I used to be in Chris Barry's camp and just buy a bottle - until I was introduced to how easy it was to get ice water at a counter service location. Especially if it's not meal time, that's what we do now, supplemented by a bottle every now and then.

Cathy

Does anyone know of any flavor packets that have real sugar in them? Artificial sweeteners are a migraine trigger for bff, I found one with stevia, but we aren't sure about it.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are flavor packets out there that are sugar-based, if I recall correctly. I think the Kool-Aid brand has some options along those lines. (Or was it Hawaiian Punch brand?) You might have to look at your local store, but if you dont find what you are looking for there, try places like WalMart or Target as well.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I know I used to be able to get Koolaid ones with sugar, but Walmart only had sugar free now.
    Thanks Gusman, I keep searching.

Would something like this work (http://www.amazon.com/True-Lemon-***...drink+packets)? I think they do come in individual packets (saw it somewhere, but lost it in the search) and in other flavors (cherry?).

We always told the the nephews that they could have whatever beverage they wanted, e.g. lemonade/iced tea/chocolate milk/etc., but they had to drink one bottle of water (or the equivalent sized glass) first. That way we could keep tabs on their water consumption and curb their sugary drink consumption at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I know I used to be able to get Koolaid ones with sugar, but Walmart only had sugar free now.
    Thanks Gusman, I keep searching.
    I think Taget has them. I didn't look close enough to know for sure if they were sugar free or not.

Tea, those are the ones I did find, they have stevia in them. She is a little afraid to try it. My cousin who both gets a migraine, but also anaphylaxis from them is allergic to Stevia as well.

Could your friend use fruit/flavored syrup to add to her water? She could make her own so that she'd be certain of the ingredients. Maybe a berry or lemon syrup? That could be stored or carried in a plastic bottle and added as needed.

That is a thought. Planning an August visit.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is a thought. Planning an August visit.
    And let me tell ya... Hydration will be as important as breathing during an August trip.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Blog Entries

What about the syrups that are used with the soda stream type machines? And what artificial sweeteners? Nuun has sorbitol and I think the Gu equivalent has a different sugar alcohol. I don't think either have nutrasweet, saccharine, or sucralose.

Cathy

Nutrasweet/sucralose and saccharin she has figured out are triggers.

If you are concerned about the taste of the water, you could always buy a filter bottle that will help reduce any objectionable flavor without having to add extra sugar.

I drink the water in LA. She doesn't. My kids like the brita bottles. Well, I like the water filtered through the soda machines, I should say.

Does she like herbal tea? I use peppermint or fruit flavored herbal tea bags in a water bottle. For visits to the parks, I'll cold brew the tea the night before. If I want sugar, I'll add a packet or two as needed. But many times, unsweetened is really refreshing. This also works with green tea.

Blog Entries

I happened to look at the variety of water additives at the store, and SOME of the Dasani ones appeared to not have any artificial sweetners. The 'tea and honey' from (I think) Lipton had honey, but also sucralose.

Cathy

Sucralose is aspartame by another name. Sucrose is sugar. I'll look closer at the Dasani ones.

Blog Entries
    Sucralose is aspartame by another name. Sucrose is sugar. I'll look closer at the Dasani ones.
    Actually, sucralose is Splenda and aspartame is Equal. They are different. They claim Splenda is more natural than Equal. I really don't know myself.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Interesting, I had a dietician tell me they were the same thing. Learn something new all the time.

Blog Entries

Definitely sucralose and aspartame are different.

Cathy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Actually, sucralose is Splenda and aspartame is Equal. They are different. They claim Splenda is more natural than Equal. I really don't know myself.
    Interesting, I had a dietician tell me they were the same thing. Learn something new all the time.
    Definitely NOT the same. I personally eliminated all artificial sweeteners from my diet a few years ago, but before I did, I could stand Asparatame but NOT Splenda. I can't STAND Splenda. I have accidentally consumed items with Splenda in them and I can tell immediately but taste and flavor - and if it's in a drink I can tell from the viscosity of the liquid too. Blech!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I don't do artificial sweeteners, never have beyond where they are hiding in stuff. They all taste nasty.
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Does anyone know of any flavor packets that have real sugar in them? Artificial sweeteners are a migraine trigger for bff, I found one with stevia, but we aren't sure about it.
    Coming from someone who suffers from severe chronic migraines - avoid stevia. Literally it produced the same reaction that artificial sweetners do. I usually just add lemon juice to my water. I just carry a small amount of the juice with me and add it to water as I need to. You could potentially make u our own via kool-aid & sugar or other fruit juices but the Kool-aid may be a little bulky to carry (but better than getting a migraine) & the fruit juice might not handle the heat well. I have used the POM juice before and that worked too. Good luck finding alternatives.

She is to the point of being down with one, more than she is up. Her DH and I have been trying to talk her into trying the band. The one that makes you look like Geordie Laforge as she puts it. She is worried it won't work versus the cost. Thanks for the advice about stevia, my cousin has the same reaction. Aspartame itself sends her (my cousin not bff) to the ER now for epinephrine.