Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DisneyQuest to close

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DisneyQuest to close

Well, I think some saw this coming for a while now.
    Reading that yesterday was the last day to buy AP's for DQ at DTD.
    Its to be reimagined into the NBA Experience starting sometime next year.

All I can say is that if anyone says that DQ was not all that popular, I would disagree. It seemed like there were many of its main attractions always had a line... some 20 and 30 mins long.

My son is going to be really disappointed.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

2. # ADS

I never even entered the Disney Quest building because I don't think anything would interest me. Kind of like Innoventions. I am not of the video game generation and I always assumed that's the type of attractions it has. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I definitely won't be visiting the NBA Experience as I'm not at all into sports.

John

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I never even entered the Disney Quest building because I don't think anything would interest me. Kind of like Innoventions. I am not of the video game generation and I always assumed that's the type of attractions it has. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I definitely won't be visiting the NBA Experience as I'm not at all into sports.
    Must be the South Jersey in us non-video gamers ha ha

to echo carolinakid - it's a non issue for us as well. We only went once, when our boys were about 5 & 7. They liked it just fine, but frankly it's not what we were there for. I think we went cause they gave us free vouchers or were included with our tickets. It was many years ago. As far as the NBA experience, not really my thing either so doubt I'd be going there in any event. I did have a few hours to kill two weeks ago prior to a flight, so I went to DTD for about 90 minutes. Boy was it crowded - and hot! Great reminder as to why I don't care for summertime at WDW! But it did look like they were really making a lot of changes and I do look forward to a trip there once everything is finished. Parked in the new parking garage (wow - who knew parking garages could be so airy and bright??? Pretty nice as far as parking garages go) which emptied me out by Planet Hollywood.

I was looking forward to taking my boyfriend next year on his first trip to the World bc he loves the old games. Add this closure to the Art of Animation & I am getting a little worried he will not have any thing he wanted to do. I know we need Disney to keep up with the times but there is so much construction going on all ay once it is making enjoying the parks very difficult.

Blog Entries

The interesting thing about DQ was not that it was just an arcade, but it had a lot of physical, interactive things to do as well. Virtual Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, and Aladdin were neat but there were several other attractions that were just plain out cool, not found at any other arcade of sorts.

I will say that my son loved the classic arcade games. It confirmed that he is, indeed, my mini-me.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

DisneyQuest to close.

I won't miss Disney Quest but I have no idea what NBA is........?????

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

This makes my family sad. My children enjoyed Disney Quest as a break from the parks. For me an NBA experience sounds like no fun!!

This is strike three for me...1st closing Maelstrom...2nd closing Art of Animation and now this...not cool...just not cool!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~ Walt Disney ~
    1982 Off-site, BC 9/01, ASMo 1/04, ASMu 8-9/08, POFQ 4/09, BC/POR 7/10, AKL and Wyndham Grand Resort at Bonnet Creek 7&8/12, CS 11/12, Disney Dream 3/13, POR and BW 12/13-1/14, Pop Century 7/14, Fort Wilderness 8/15, POR/AoA (MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival 10/15), Fort Wilderness 7/16, Off-site 12/16, Off-site 12/17, Off-site 12/18 and Disney Magic, 7/19 Off-site DL/DCA

National Basketball Association. Basketball related attractions, I guess, plus a store and restaurant. We went to NBA City at Universal's CityWalk and we weren't impressed. Menu was what you'd find at any TGI Friday's or Applebee's. Service was lousy.

John

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    As far as I know it is the pro basketball association here in the states.

DisneyQuest to close.

Oh. Well I think Disney should have a better idea then!!!!! A massive indoor interactive playground for under 10's would be good. Not for my family but for many others.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Oh. Well I think Disney should have a better idea then!!!!! A massive indoor interactive playground for under 10's would be good. Not for my family but for many others.
    That would be a great idea for rainy days and/or when the little ones (and parents) need a break from the hot sun.
    We are not the target audience for either NBA or the indoor playground - but I do like that idea better!
    Oh well - no doubt, like all big decisions, someone must have run the numbers and done the research and determined that this NBA experience would bring the people.

I can't say I didn't see it coming, but wow, I'm so sad. I really enjoy DQ. It's a great place to have a date. I have fond memories of my brother, husband and I playing the interactive Pirates game. For us, the captain steering had to shout out the targets and steer the ship towards it. The crew yelled back, "Aye Sir!" and had to run back and forth on the deck. The CM's use to love to watch us play. Sometimes we could do it 2x in a row. And we loved the Astroblasters!!

I'm hoping that Disney will place the stand up games somewhere else on property but not too split up. And I really pray that they will keep Pirates and Astroblasters and reinstall them somewhere too.

DQ was a great place to go that was indoors and ac'd. I'm really going to miss it.

GnP

I too loved DisneyQuest, and will miss the great arcade games. Such a shame, but I guess we have seen it coming for quite a while now.

NBA? NBI more like! (No Blooming Idea! - geddit?) Another Brit who won't have any idea or interest in visiting whatever it ends up being, I'm afraid. Ah well, I'm sure that Disney know what they are doing.

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    I'm hoping that Disney will place the stand up games somewhere else on property but not too split up. And I really pray that they will keep Pirates and Astroblasters and reinstall them somewhere too.
    Great idea... How about at the old arcade area outside of Space Mountain!

I'll admit I have never been to DTD, so I was not familiar with DQ, but these posts prompted me to go read a bit. It sounds like it may have been cool, but I think the cost to enter for a day might have dissuaded me from checking it out. (I wouldn't have wanted to give up a park day for it, I don't think).

(OT - sorry, I would have commented with the below in a more relevant thread if I saw one from the last few days)

The other announcement of the closure of Magic of Disney Animation at DHS bothers me more. I only recently discovered the Animation Academy, and after I did it the first time, it became a favorite to do at least once each trip. I guess I will take some comfort that the last one I did was for Donald Duck as Darth Maul during Star Wars Weekends. (I didn't realize they did that, but a guest behind me had asked to wait for the next session and when I asked her why, it seems they were doing Darth Donald (apparently the only Disney SW character they offered at AA) on the bottom of the hour during SWW. When I heard that I waited too, and now I'm very glad I did!)

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Great idea... How about at the old arcade area outside of Space Mountain!
    GusMan that's an excellent idea! Heh wait, you've given me a great idea! What if they built a WreckIt Ralph area/ride/meetngreet, etc. They could put it in a new area in DHS called Animation Alley (instead of Pixar Place). They could put alot of Ralph imagery on the walls. If they don't want to put in a ride, it could be a simple counter food area with places to sit down and eat, play games, etc. They could easily incorporate their Disney Infinity games, into the mix.

That is a blooming excellent idea! I hope someone from Disney sees this!

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

You're excused, being a limey and all . . . . .
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Dolphin resort biggest fan JEANYSANCHEZ38's Avatar

I think that nba is perfect for Disney springs it's going to be awesome!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JEANYSANCHEZ38 View Post
    I think that nba is perfect for Disney springs it's going to be awesome!
    Not directed at your comment, but I want to use it for the sake of discussion...

I know that the NBA is not everyone's cup of tea.
    But neither is Baseball, the NFL, NASCAR, Soccer, or <fill in the blank with some other sport.>

I just wish that if they were going to re imagine it, it would be a bit more neutral or at least be generally sports-centric, rather than focusing on one league.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Good point Gusman-
    We could not care less about NBA but make it soccer or NHL??? Well then we'd be stopping in!
    I think you are right about it should have been a bit more all encompassing. but, lie I said before, they don't just throw this stuff up- they research. And I suppose their research lead them to the conclusion that the NBA would go over good.
    Guess they didn't ask me... I guess 5' tall 42 year old woman were not in the demographic! Haha!

Universal recently announced that it wasn't renewing the lease for NBA City Walk. (One of the rumors tells that they've made a deal with WWE to build a physical Hall of Fame on the site.) I guess this was an opportunity that Disney felt that they just couldn't pass on.

Well see - it could be worse I guess. We could be getting a WWE "experience " ....

I completely agree with you, GusMan. I'm a NASCAR fan and I would be against a venue that only had NASCAR things. I think it would be better to have a more sports inclusive design? But perhaps it will look that way when it opens. We'll just have to wait and see.

Blog Entries

Agreed that Im sure that research was done and it was probably extensive. They would not be doing it unless they thought they could get a return on the investment.

It just wont be something that I will visit. No hard feelings towards Disney on this - just not interested in the NBA.

But in reality, because of this, I wont be getting PAP's again anytime soon.
    If I want to do the water parks, Ill just focus on planning my budget around them.