Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Running with(out) family members

Running with(out) family members

There have been a couple of recent runDisney threads that have taken a tangent to the various issues and concerns people have about registering and running with family members so figured I'd start a separate thread to discuss those.

The topics that I've seen include
    - When one person wants to run / register / train together and the other doesn't. Who gets to make that call and why?
    - The challenges of registering multiple family members for runDisney events given that there is currently no way to add more than one registration to a single transaction. How do you deal with this if it involves travel? Minors? Only one of the adults can be free at registration time and more than one wants to run?

I'm sure there are others!

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

2. # ADS

This is a debate I want to personally avoid because I think both sides have merit and don't have a strong leaning one way or another. However, I do think it's smart to make it it's own thread because there were several threads being derailed about these topics.

It would be nice if runDisney offered the option for spouse or parent and child to register together without having to exit the system and start over, especially given the way registration is going now. It's a worry whether you will be able to register another runner after completing the first registration. This change makes even more sense if the registrant is using the same credit card information for the two transactions.

I understand why they don't do it this way, but it's yet another small change that would ease the stress of registration for people, and if you can only register one other runner I don't think it would be as big of a target for abuse.

How is something like this handled for events that use lotteries? I assumed that if both/all names were not picked in the lottery, you had the same issue, but maybe my assumption is wrong. Can you enter a lottery with an all or nothing caveat? -- Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
    How is something like this handled for events that use lotteries? I assumed that if both/all names were not picked in the lottery, you had the same issue, but maybe my assumption is wrong. Can you enter a lottery with an all or nothing caveat? -- Suzanne
    The lotteries I have been involved with are an all or nothing if you enter as a team. I have gotten into San Francisco Nike Women's Half and the Napa to Sonoma Half that way.

Steph, I agree with your recommendation. Keep it to a small number of registrations that you can add to a cart at once (2 or 4, like many concerts and sporting events) so you don't invite abuse in the form of "I am registering me and my 15 closest friends." Alternatively, they could keep it the way it is but allow refunds (in a short period of time, say 24 hours) if you don't get your group in, especially in the case where minors are involved. I've seen limited cases where this has been offered, but it seems to be hit or miss and a huge hassle. For a concert or sporting event, if I don't want to go without my group of 6 and I only get 2 tickets before it sells out, I can legally re-sell my 2 tickets. For a runDisney race, I have no option without breaking their rules and possibly getting banned from future events.

I do find it amusing and a bit perplexing that I am not allowed to ride in the teacup for a 2 minute ride next to my 5 year old, but in theory I could register him for a Disney 5k and send him through the same parks all alone for nearly an hour.

In practice, since I can't control runDisney, whenever we're trying to get a kid registered we always register the adult first, just in case the race sells out before the kid gets in. I can see this getting more complicated when both kids are old enough to run the Disney 5ks. We also have both of us working on the registrations if possible to give us a better chance.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I have done it before with two adults on two different computers. It's definitely nerve racking, though. The last time I had to deal with it, was when I had to register all three of my sons up for the Tinker Bell 10K and Doc for Pixie Challenge. One thing that helped was that I had logged into my Active account so a lot of information was in the system. I didn't have to re-enter most of the information for each registration.

This is one reason we fundraise for Star Wars weekend. It's a big commitment for all 5 of us to run on a charity team, but it definitely makes my anxiety level for registration MUCH lower.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe