Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Shady Places in Walt Disney World Parks

Best Shady Places in Walt Disney World Parks

I am looking for a list of shady places in the 4 main parks. All suggests are needed. Thanks a bunch

Living life to the fullest

http://www.oilyhabit.com/

2. # ADS

Are you looking for suggestions of areas that aren't inside buildings? That would be my first suggestion.

Any are great! I did not know there were places inside you could just hang out and rest for a while. I know there are attractions to see inside.

In Epcot the American pavilion where the Voices of Liberty sing there is a museum type room that you could view then hang out for a bit. Not hours but maybe 30 minutes or so, no real comfortable seating but a place to chill.

In Magic Kingdom Tom Sawyer Island has some shady areas with benches or picnic tables.

We found out sitting in front of Casey's Corner to watch the afternoon MK parade will keep you out of the sun!

In Hollywood Studios a great overlooked place is the Writer's Stop. It is located near the Streets of America near the Sci-Fi Dine In. It is a bookshop/coffee shop. There are chairs in there and also a TV that was showing Steamboat Willie when we were there. It was a great place to chill. (I hope they don't make it into a Starbuck's!) My youngest daughter and I found some shade near the Lights! Motor! Action! show once. She spent a good 30-40 minutes playing with the mulch under the tree while I people watched! :-)

In Animal Kingdom, the outdoor seating at Flame Tree BBQ is a great place to sit and relax in the shade. It is also has some great photo ops...a view of Expedition Everest...water features...there is a lot of Disney attention to detail there.

In Epcot, we always soak of the AC in the Innoventions buildings. There are benches and chairs in there that are quite comfy. I can't really think of an outside place to find shade...Ellen's Energy Adventure is a great place to soak up some AC too!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~ Walt Disney ~
    1982 Off-site, BC 9/01, ASMo 1/04, ASMu 8-9/08, POFQ 4/09, BC/POR 7/10, AKL and Wyndham Grand Resort at Bonnet Creek 7&8/12, CS 11/12, Disney Dream 3/13, POR and BW 12/13-1/14, Pop Century 7/14, Fort Wilderness 8/15, POR/AoA (MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival 10/15), Fort Wilderness 7/16, Off-site 12/16, Off-site 12/17, Off-site 12/18 and Disney Magic, 7/19 Off-site DL/DCA

Animal Kingdom - Rafiki's Planet Watch on the train to and from. You sit and rest.

Epcot - just inside the China pavilion. There's a museum in there with art on the walls and you can sit on benches inside and rest. You don't have to see the movie. The outside tables at the Liberty Inn. Many umbrellas.

Magic Kingdom - take the train around the park.

The Studios - Studio Catering Company.

Awesome tips! Keep them coming. Thanks a bunch.

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

For what its worth, I would include the Peoplemover as a shady spot. Because or the weather in Orlando, I can only imagine they added a roof onto the east coast version. As well as entering some buildings like Space Mountain. And since it is not a typical 'E' ticket attraction, they will usually let you stay on for another loop if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    For what its worth, I would include the Peoplemover as a shady spot. Because or the weather in Orlando, I can only imagine they added a roof onto the east coast version. As well as entering some buildings like Space Mountain. And since it is not a typical 'E' ticket attraction, they will usually let you stay on for another loop if you like.
    When you say "stay on for another loop" I'm assuming you mean the People mover. When we were there end of December they made everyone get off and go around to the entrance if you wanted another ride, even when there was not a line The CMs were telling everyone it was a safety issue. Not sure if this happens consistently or not.

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    When you say "stay on for another loop" I'm assuming you mean the People mover. When we were there end of December they made everyone get off and go around to the entrance if you wanted another ride, even when there was not a line The CMs were telling everyone it was a safety issue. Not sure if this happens consistently or not.
    Sorry for the outdated info. Its been 5 years since my last trip, but I had also read other TR's that mentioned being able stay on for for another ride.

Best Shady Places in Walt Disney World Parks

Ellen's Energy Adventure (Epcot), Hall of Presidents (MK), Animation Academy (DHS). All attractions not 'spots' but all great energy restorers on hot park days. Lengthy and with air conditioning. Sadly there is nowhere equivalent at AK.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To add to the list of 'nappable attractions': Carousel of Progress in MK and Great Movie Ride (if you're super tired) in the Studios.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Ellen's Energy Adventure (Epcot), Hall of Presidents (MK), Animation Academy (DHS). All attractions not 'spots' but all great energy restorers on hot park days. Lengthy and with air conditioning. Sadly there is nowhere equivalent at AK.
    What about "It's Tough To Be A Bug"?. Not really relaxing, but I'm pretty sure it's AC if you can deal with the show. Also AC in the Lion King and Nemo, I think.

I guess I am migrating away form things you can quickly duck into with the shows.

While not indoors, there are at least tons of trees along many of the paths in AK. Doesn't help with the humidity, but at least you can escape the beating of the sun shining directly on you.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    When we were there end of December they made everyone get off and go around to the entrance if you wanted another ride, even when there was not a line The CMs were telling everyone it was a safety issue.
    This reason is complete crap. There is no safety issue with staying on the vehicles and continuing another round. This is just the CM's way of not saying "you gotta get off cuz I say so!". And it all depends on the CM - I've enjoyed many multiple round rides on the People Mover. Maybe I just look to danged hot and tired to get off the ride!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Wandering lonely as a cloud...

If you are in the Magic Kingdom area you can get a boat across the lagoon and hang out in Fort Wilderness.
    There is a buffet there that is reasonable by Disney standards, some chairs out by the lake, ponies, and lots of trees.

It would be something fun to do with kids for the day you arrive and want some good relatively inexpensive Disney fun.
    The boat ride is fun and there is a playground over there too.
    Kind of a treatment for the overstimulation that MK can produce.

The mosquito's food of choice, primitive humanoid lifeforms, have colonies all over that planet.

"some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"-311

Oh boy here's my chance! I live here and I think I can negotiate around MK in almost complete shade. So here are some of my favorite shady sittin' spots, with/without ac.
    ..Main Street train station has benches outside on the upper level that look over Main Street. Also their upper holding area has benches/indoor/ac.
    Around the Hub=
    ..Casey's Corner has both out/in seating. In has ac.
    ..Right at the front of AdventureL there is a circular stone bench with very old palms growing out of it. Be smart and sit on the backside of the circle for shade.
    ..Crossing bridge from AdvL to FrontierL there is an old wooden bench behind the Christmas shop.
    ..Front of FrontierL, SleepyHollow Snacks has lots of seating some in shade.
    ..Toward TomorrowL, walk past the Plaza Restaurant and up the "hill" to a very large open seating air with 'outdoor' air conditioning. This is the eating area of the often closed Tomorrowland Terrace.

Best top tips for an ac, "I've got to cool off" spot? Any seating next to gift shop with open doors. (There's often a blower at the entrance.) Many counter food places: Pecos Bill's, Pinnochio's, Columbia House, Cosmic Rays, have excellent indoor seating. Also, at the Dumbo ride they have an indoor area where the kids play and lots and lots of seating for the adults. All ac.
    So, always look for a gift shop, counter food service, and yes, even the bathrooms have some amazing ac.

I have more tips but I'm not sure what you are looking for.
    GnP

Thank you Goodnplenty! I am so thankful for people like you. I hate the heat & sun bc it truly affects my migraines in a very negative way so your info really helps. And an extra thanks to the OP for posing this question.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    Thank you Goodnplenty! I am so thankful for people like you. I hate the heat & sun bc it truly affects my migraines in a very negative way so your info really helps. And an extra thanks to the OP for posing this question.
    You are very welcome. I had a bad hip problem and so I know where every place to sit is, as you work your way thru the park. And being from FL, I always make sure that it's in the shade or ac. Now if you need peace and quiet, your choices are very different. The monorail can be very quiet and also the boats. Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress are dark/ac/quiet if you sit in the back row.

GnP

Goodnplenty - great ideas. What do you have for the other parks? Been several years since I have visited.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    Goodnplenty - great ideas. What do you have for the other parks? Been several years since I have visited.
    Let's see. Let's try EPCOT.
    ..If (heaven help you) you are walking from the bus stop to bag search area, stop and sit on the many benches. That is one very, very long walk. Look for a bench in the shade, let the herd pass by, then go thru security when most have gone.
    ..Your next shaded sitting area is either of the planter benches near the restrooms on either side of Spaceship Earth. (the golf ball )
    ..From here the next shaded sitting areas are inside the Innovention buildings. Unfortunately, you aren't going to find alot of seats in either one, but I've seen alot of people find a carpeted spot and sit on the floor. You will see this most often in the Inno West 2nd building that houses a Meet n Greet and has almost a private hallway feel on the backside where you can see the Imagination and Land buildings.

From here on out you are going to find quiet, cool seating in the different country pavillions. The walking paths around EPCOT are not very shaded. But almost every country has a little museum type area that is cool and quiet and has a few benches.
    I heartily agree with the post that Ellen's Energy is very cool, but it can be very loud too. Sitting inside Mexico is my favorite, "take a break" spot.

Oh yes, and I'd love to learn from other's ideas too!!
    GnP

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    Oh boy here's my chance! I live here and I think I can negotiate around MK in almost complete shade. So here are some of my favorite shady sittin' spots, with/without ac.
    These are totally awesome!! Please keep those tips coming. Thanks
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 06-02-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Wandering lonely as a cloud...

In my experience I could usually get a whole seat on Ellen's ride for just DH and myself.
    There is enough room to put up my feet and even kick off my shoes.

The mosquito's food of choice, primitive humanoid lifeforms, have colonies all over that planet.

"some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"-311

Love this! Everyone's tips are totally great! If anyone thinks of more post them please.

Top Secret cool place in MK.
    Okay everyone, scoot a little closer to your pc. Make sure no one is looking? Good. Here's a top secret cool spot at MK.

You've followed MPer's tips on getting to MK at opening. Your standing with the crowd outside the 'gates' waiting for the park opening ceremony.... and then you realize how it's hotter than Haiti where you're standing and you've got another 10 minutes to go! Simple, look over to the far right and you will see a gift shop. Nope, don't go in there, it's too small. Look BEHIND the gift shop, just to the left of it. That's where the lockers are. If you go in there and towards the back you will find the coldest air vent on the planet! And nobody else is in there! Ahhhhh,, good ole relaxing accccccc....

Wow - can't wait to try this!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor