Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Passenger killed in Exotic Driving Experience accident in Walt Disney World

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Passenger killed in Exotic Driving Experience accident in Walt Disney World

Several Orlando news outlets are reporting a fatal accident at the Richard Petty Exotic Driving Experience attraction in Walt Disney World. According to the Associated Press, the Florida Highway Patrol states a 36-year-old man from Davenport, Florida was killed when the driver of the Lamborghini in which he was riding lost control. The Orlando Sentinel reports that the accident happened around 3:30 p.m., and says the male driver was treated at a nearby hospital for minor injuries.

The Exotic Driving Experience allows licensed drivers to drive the sports cars around the track, with a professional driver riding in the passenger seat. There are also Exotic Ride packages, in which the professional drivers take passengers on a two-lap drive in their chosen sports car. It is not known at this time if the deceased was a customer or employee of the track.

The Richard Petty Driving Experience and Exotic Driving Experience are operated by Petty Holdings. Florida Today quotes a Petty Holdings spokesperson as saying, "On behalf of everyone in the organization, it is with a very heavy heart that we extend our deepest sympathies to those involved in today's tragic accident in Orlando."

Petty Holdings operates 8 other exotic driving experience tracks around the country. As we reported in February, the Walt Disney World track, situated in the Magic Kingdom parking lot, is scheduled to close in June as part of an unrelated Disney transportation project.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Oh my, this is so sad. My sincerest condolences to everyone and their families. I've been at the track a couple of times and the staff there are wonderful. Dealing with the accident when it happened must have been terrifying. As part of the NASCAR family I just want to say how deeply sorry I am for such a loss. My prayers are with all of you.

GnP

Reports are saying that it was the instructor.

Though I've never been to the track myself, from what I've read they run the exotic vehicles clockwise on the track. I presume this is so that the drivers have a better feel of where they are in relation to the outside wall, but the openings on the inside wall are designed for the optimal safety of cars traveling counter-clockwise. What surprises me is that they didn't appear to have at least placed a tire wall up to prevent vehicles from slamming full force into the edge of the wall where this accident occurred.

Sad. Maybe they will think about putting up a tire wall or something else like it.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josephfive View Post
    Sad. Maybe they will think about putting up a tire wall or something else like it.
    Unlikely at this location, since it's closing down at the end of June. This may just have it closing down earlier. (Based on no information - just my guess)
    Cathy

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I agree. This may do it for the whole thing. You sign those waivers and never think a thing about it again. So sorry for the man who will have to live with his accident for the rest of his life. Condolences for the family of the employee as well. I cannot imagine....

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Quote Originally Posted by josephfive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Unlikely at this location, since it's closing down at the end of June. This may just have it closing down earlier. (Based on no information - just my guess)
    A "tire wall" is just a stack of tires. There's likely more than enough spare tires laying around a place like that. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just shut the thing down now and issue refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohthatjeff View Post
    Reports are saying that it was the instructor.

Though I've never been to the track myself, from what I've read they run the exotic vehicles clockwise on the track. I presume this is so that the drivers have a better feel of where they are in relation to the outside wall, but the openings on the inside wall are designed for the optimal safety of cars traveling counter-clockwise. What surprises me is that they didn't appear to have at least placed a tire wall up to prevent vehicles from slamming full force into the edge of the wall where this accident occurred.
    I agree. If they were going clockwise then the safety features are laid out all wrong. I have seen tire walls laid out at the track for the go-cart events. I feel very sorry for the driver who must live with this.

The Florida Highway Patrol has issued its findings report. Story here.

Very interesting - thanks for posting.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Thanks. You always wonder what happens when they do those sorts of investigations.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!